Newbie 1484 (Day Two)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:44 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 174, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 169, Thesoctorisin wrote:@jarjar Can you explain your reasoning when you say that me flipping will make Bulba look scummy?
When I asked bulb about you his one word response was "scum". Yet he hasn't voted for you. He hasn't questioned you or pressured you at all aside from a single throwaway comment. The fact that you're a vote from being hammered and he isn't discussing it @ all is odd.

And also the fact that you named him as potential scum in your list of reads looks like you're trying to give him some credibility for when you flip.
In post 175, Thesoctorisin wrote:So you think that he is scum also?
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading it, but look @ the way this last post is worded. Shouldn't he say it more like: "So you also think that he is scum?". The way he says it kinda sounds like he's scum claiming.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 199, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 196, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 195, I Love Fairies wrote:
In post 189, Hopkirk wrote:
Vote Soctor

And that's 5/you're dead.
Bye.
This is super scummy given that discussion is still prevalent.
After a votecount... you don't notice it's a fake hammer how?

Explain why you think a fake hammer is scummy.

And thanks to the person who ruined it right away :facepalm:
I don't understand. What is a fake hammer supposed to accomplish?
If he gives up thinking it's real (he's new so he may) then we know for sure this is a very good lynch.
We can judge his reaction either way.
Unless someone ruins it.
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 am

Post by Thesoctorisin »

It's just the way your reading it.

Also, why would I scum claim? Is it a strategy or are you saying I did it on accident?
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 am

Post by Thesoctorisin »

Ohhhh I see! If I were to say it your way I would mean that we both think bulba is scummy. Well I guess that's true
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:35 am

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 182, I Love Fairies wrote: While we're at it, could you link the post where Hopkirk unvoted? I could have sworn I saw him just recently change his vote to Soctor and leave it on Soctor.
Sorry, I must have misread it.
In post 183, I Love Fairies wrote:If you'd prefer, I'll just rephrase my argument.

Even though you are the most experienced player, and thus, the player who should be able to provide the most information, you choose not to provide information unless it's directly related to you.
I already answered this question in that post you are complaining about: I have not been providing information only when it's directed at me, which you would see if you looked through my ISO. Why do you want me to answer your question in one big paragraph, instead of 2 pinpointed sentences?
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 202, Thesoctorisin wrote:It's just the way your reading it.

Also, why would I scum claim? Is it a strategy or are you saying I did it on accident?
If you thought you were hammered (out/dead) you may have given up. It works sometimes.
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 201, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 199, JarJarDrinks wrote:
Vote Soctor

Bye.

I don't understand. What is a fake hammer supposed to accomplish?
If he gives up thinking it's real (he's new so he may) then we know for sure this is a very good lynch.
We can judge his reaction either way.
Unless someone ruins it.
Yeah that seems kinda shady. And are we even allowed to post after someone is hammered? I thought we had to stay silent.
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 205, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 202, Thesoctorisin wrote:It's just the way your reading it.

If you thought you were hammered (out/dead) you may have given up. It works sometimes.
He was talking to me cause I said he may have "scum claimed" above. I guess I really meant "scumslipped"
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 am

Post by LessThanOriginal »

I was going to come in and attempt to get people to bounce off soctor for useful reactions when he flips. Apparently that's getting sorted already though.

Still, I think we need to get more people talking than just the main five or so. And yes, I'm including myself in the "people who should probably be talking more" category. What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 am

Post by Hopkirk »

@Jarjar: Sounds like he was talking to me as he i said he may scum claim.

And you can post between hammer and flip.

Lessthan is giving me bad vibes man.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:20 am

Vibes are such a wonderful reason to lynch people, aren't they? :P

Nah, it annoys me when people don't give real reasons. It makes it harder to figure out when they're being genuine and means there's a lot less evidence to prove them either way later on.

Carry on.
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am

Post by Thesoctorisin »

@hopkirk I was talking to jarjar but I was also wondering that too so thanks for clearing it up
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 210, LessThanOriginal wrote:Vibes are such a wonderful reason to lynch people, aren't they? :P

Nah, it annoys me when people don't give real reasons. It makes it harder to figure out when they're being genuine and means there's a lot less evidence to prove them either way later on.

Carry on.
And i try and lynch you where?
Just putting it out there in case i forget later (i should really do spreadsheets again).
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 am

In post 212, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 210, LessThanOriginal wrote:Vibes are such a wonderful reason to lynch people, aren't they? :P

Carry on.
And i try and lynch you where?
Just putting it out there in case i forget later (i should really do spreadsheets again).
It was a general comment on the culture of people lynching on vibes. Your post may have triggered it, but being pre-emptively defensive really isn't my style. Nice job trying to pin something on me though, I guess. Slightly more solid than just "vibes".
Number_0ne
Number_0ne
Goon
Number_0ne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Post by Number_0ne »

In post 198, JarJarDrinks wrote:
In post 192, Number_0ne wrote:UNVOTE:

I'm just feeling really suspicious of this lynch right now.
What exactly are you suspicious about?
Never mind. I was suspicious of Hopkirk for demanding a claim so early, as well as his accusations on so many people and focus on getting a lynch. Well, now the early claim demand ties in with him trying to get thesoctor to reveal himself through fakehammer. Still, I'm a bit more hesitant to lynch thesoctor, because it seems like he has been making a bunch of newbie mistakes rather than try and get a townie lynched.
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Post by I Love Fairies »

Vote Soctor

Bye.

I really think you're just trying to cover your ass here. If I noticed that it was fake, so did everyone else. You're trying to deceive people and in this manner, that's a bad thing.

I think a "fake hammer" is scummy because it serves no purpose and calling it a "fake hammer" means nothing to me. I know and you know and everyone else knows that you thought it was a real hammer. Now that we have taken out the fake in hammer, I'll explain why hammering in this situation is super scummy. Reason number one: information is the most valuable commodity in this game, and ending Day early ends discussion and limits the maximum amount of information the town can get. Reason number two: hammers and other decisions that make a big impact on the game (what targets a claimed cop should investigate, who should be lynched, when someone should be lynched, etc) should be decided upon as a group. You thought it was best if you did it on your own, without the group, giving the town little chance to make the decisions.

I'll reply to Bulba later tonight, but I gotta go for now.
A genius, huh? What does that mean? "Genius"? So I was not born with a whole lot of natural talent, not gifted like Neji… but I work hard and I never give up! That is my gift; that is my ninja way! ---- Rock Lee
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Post by Thesoctorisin »

@number1 Now that you unvoted me, are you still leaning to me or are you leaning to someone else?
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 206, JarJarDrinks wrote:Yeah that seems kinda shady.
Fake hammers are actually a pretty good reaction test. You're going to see it a lot more often outside Newbie games.
In post 206, JarJarDrinks wrote: And are we even allowed to post after someone is hammered? I thought we had to stay silent.
We are allowed to continue posting in twilight, unless the mod has made a rule stating otherwise, which he has not in this case.
In post 208, LessThanOriginal wrote:What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
Why do you need our permission to ask questions?

catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 215, I Love Fairies wrote:I think a "fake hammer" is scummy because it serves no purpose and calling it a "fake hammer" means nothing to me.
This isn't true, fyi. it's entirely valid to try to convince a player, particularly an inexperienced one, that they've been hammered in order to get a genuine reaction out of them. It doesn't work often, but it can produce results and has a few times. There's legitimate town motive to fake a hammer, especially in this situation.

Which isn't to say that he could have faked it as scum to seem town, but in a newbie game he's less likely to get credit for an unconventional play like that. It all devolves into WIFOM at some point, but in my eyes? more likely to come from town.

soctor certainly could potentially be noobish town, but I don't really like letting people off the hook based on emotional appeals like his, because it could just as well come from a scum player in this instance, I think. Still, I'm going to look over everyone else tomorrow now that I have more to read off.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 214, Number_0ne wrote:

Never mind. I was suspicious of Hopkirk for demanding a claim so early, as well as his accusations on so many people and focus on getting a lynch. Well, now the early claim demand ties in with him trying to get thesoctor to reveal himself through fakehammer. Still, I'm a bit more hesitant to lynch thesoctor, because it seems like he has been making a bunch of newbie mistakes rather than try and get a townie lynched.
IF YOU ARE ON L-1 YOU CLAIM.
THIS IS BASIC STUFF.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

Actually, you should only claim if you are at L-1 and intent to hammer has been given. This way, PRs can try to keep their role hidden for as long as possible. Anybody who says otherwise is horribly anti-town.

Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 215, I Love Fairies wrote:
Vote Soctor

Bye.

I really think you're just trying to cover your ass here. If I noticed that it was fake, so did everyone else. You're trying to deceive people and in this manner, that's a bad thing.

I think a "fake hammer" is scummy because it serves no purpose and calling it a "fake hammer" means nothing to me. I know and you know and everyone else knows that you thought it was a real hammer. Now that we have taken out the fake in hammer, I'll explain why hammering in this situation is super scummy. Reason number one: information is the most valuable commodity in this game, and ending Day early ends discussion and limits the maximum amount of information the town can get. Reason number two: hammers and other decisions that make a big impact on the game (what targets a claimed cop should investigate, who should be lynched, when someone should be lynched, etc) should be decided upon as a group. You thought it was best if you did it on your own, without the group, giving the town little chance to make the decisions.

I'll reply to Bulba later tonight, but I gotta go for now.
Trying to deceive scum... it's called a reaction test...
Fake hammers do serve a purpose and are relatively common (i've done several before+seen many if you want to look at old games), one time (off site, link if wanted) a scum on l-2 didn't notice it was fake and admitted they were scum.
"I know and you know and everyone else knows that you thought it was a real hammer" Fuck you. I take extreme offense at your implication I'm a fucking moron. That is exactly what you're saying if you thing I'm too fucking stupid to not look before placing a vote when there's a vote count saying l-2 and only my vote on the last page.

Pedit: Yeah intent to hammer. There was going to be intent and wasting time wasn't necessary.
Number_0ne
Number_0ne
Goon
Number_0ne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Post by Number_0ne »

In post 219, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 214, Number_0ne wrote:

IF YOU ARE ON L-1 YOU CLAIM.
THIS IS BASIC STUFF.
No, you claim when there is intent to hammer. Since you asked for a claim before intent was given, I got a bit confused.

@thesoctor

I don't think so, but if there doesn't seem to be a better wagon as the deadline approaches, I will lynch you.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am

[quote="In post 217
In post 208, LessThanOriginal wrote:What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
Why do you need our permission to ask questions?[/quote]
Quite a lot of things are different here so I was unsure how a questionnaire would be taken. Also, if there's no interest then there's no real point in putting out the questions if they'll just be ignored. The questions people suggest themselves may be useful though. There's the obvious stuff: your opinion on the current lynch; who do you want to flip next; potential distancing/buddying, and so on. But the questions that others suggest may give stuff away as well.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am

Messed that quote up. Will fix later.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”