Newbie 1484 (Day Two)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:06 am

Post by Hopkirk »

@One: Why do you want to wait to hop on a wagon over making one yourself.

@Lessthan: Ask questions. Shout at people who don't respond. Get reads/profit.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 am

Post by LessThanOriginal »

Post fixed.
In post 217, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 208, LessThanOriginal wrote:What do you guys say to a questionnaire for everyone to respond to? If yes, I'll take question suggestions, though no fishing for PT roles is allowed, for obvious reasons :V.
Why do you need our permission to ask questions?
Quite a lot of things are different here so I was unsure how a questionnaire would be taken. Also, if there's no interest then there's no real point in putting out the questions if they'll just be ignored. The questions people suggest themselves may be useful though. There's the obvious stuff: your opinion on the current lynch; who do you want to flip next; potential distancing/buddying, and so on. But the questions that others suggest may give stuff away as well.

@Hopkirk: People's suggestions as to questions to include in the questionnaire can be enlightening in of themselves. However, if I get no replies on that by this time tomorrow then I'll post up a questionnaire with just my questions anyway, I guess. Speaking of, do you have any potential questions to add?
Robocopter87
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Post by Robocopter87 »

--:Vote Count:--
  • Thesoctorisin [ 3 ] JarJarDrinks, catboi, Hopkirk

• Docthorr [ 0 ]
  • LessThanOriginal [ 1 ] Docthorr
  • JarJarDrinks [ 0 ]
  • I Love Fairies [ 0 ]
  • Number_0ne [ 0 ]
  • Hopkirk [ 2 ] Bulbazak, Thesoctorisin
  • catboi [ 0 ]
  • Bulbazak [ 1 ] I Love Fairies
Not Voting
: LessThanOriginal, Number_0ne
Amount To Lynch
: With 9 alive it is 5 to lynch
Deadline
: 11:59PM of March 21st EST.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy
Docthorr
Docthorr
Goon
Docthorr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 am

Post by Docthorr »

I really should step up my game, but I can't find a lead to work with.
Is "Oblivious town" a role? Because it suits me atm :/
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

I think we should seriously discuss a lurker lynch. catboi and Docthorr have 8 posts each. Pretty much every other player in the game has more than them combined.

We need to seriously consider lynching one of them because if either (or both) of them is scum then they have no reason to post anything @ this point. Like why would scum ever post unless they were forced to?

unvote: Thesoctorisin
vote: catboi

From initial rereads of them, I think catboi is the scummier of the 2. Plus she's supposed to be one of the more experienced players so I think we should expect more than the small amount of posts we've seen from her.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Fos on jarja.
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:14 am

Post by I Love Fairies »

In post 204, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 182, I Love Fairies wrote: While we're at it, could you link the post where Hopkirk unvoted? I could have sworn I saw him just recently change his vote to Soctor and leave it on Soctor.
Sorry, I must have misread it.
In post 183, I Love Fairies wrote:If you'd prefer, I'll just rephrase my argument.

Even though you are the most experienced player, and thus, the player who should be able to provide the most information, you choose not to provide information unless it's directly related to you.
I already answered this question in that post you are complaining about: I have not been providing information only when it's directed at me, which you would see if you looked through my ISO. Why do you want me to answer your question in one big paragraph, instead of 2 pinpointed sentences?
Honestly, I still feel like you're holding back on information and opinions. You're supposed to be the strongest player in this game, but you don't seem to be acting like it beyond your ability to deflect questions.

I want you to answer "my question" in one big paragraph rather than two "pinpointed sentences" because it is a paragraph. I organize the information I present into paragraphs. If I put my information in a paragraph, all of the sentences in that paragraph are relevant to each other and could have an altered meaning if taken out of context. Plus, you didn't reply to "two pinpointed sentences" you ripped apart a single sentence and completely changed the meaning of that sentence in order for you to disregard the original intent of the sentence.
In post 221, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 215, I Love Fairies wrote:
In post 196, Hopkirk wrote:
In post 195, I Love Fairies wrote:
In post 189, Hopkirk wrote:
Vote Soctor

And that's 5/you're dead.
Bye.
This is super scummy given that discussion is still prevalent.
After a votecount... you don't notice it's a fake hammer how?

Explain why you think a fake hammer is scummy.

And thanks to the person who ruined it right away :facepalm:
I really think you're just trying to cover your ass here. If I noticed that it was fake, so did everyone else. You're trying to deceive people and in this manner, that's a bad thing.

I think a "fake hammer" is scummy because it serves no purpose and calling it a "fake hammer" means nothing to me. I know and you know and everyone else knows that you thought it was a real hammer. Now that we have taken out the fake in hammer, I'll explain why hammering in this situation is super scummy. Reason number one: information is the most valuable commodity in this game, and ending Day early ends discussion and limits the maximum amount of information the town can get. Reason number two: hammers and other decisions that make a big impact on the game (what targets a claimed cop should investigate, who should be lynched, when someone should be lynched, etc) should be decided upon as a group. You thought it was best if you did it on your own, without the group, giving the town little chance to make the decisions.

I'll reply to Bulba later tonight, but I gotta go for now.
Trying to deceive scum... it's called a reaction test...
Fake hammers do serve a purpose and are relatively common (i've done several before+seen many if you want to look at old games), one time (off site, link if wanted) a scum on l-2 didn't notice it was fake and admitted they were scum.
"I know and you know and everyone else knows that you thought it was a real hammer" Fuck you. I take extreme offense at your implication I'm a fucking moron. That is exactly what you're saying if you thing I'm too fucking stupid to not look before placing a vote when there's a vote count saying l-2 and only my vote on the last page.

Pedit: Yeah intent to hammer. There was going to be intent and wasting time wasn't necessary.
No. I'm saying that you're not a moron. That's why I think that your action was scummy. Plus, making mistakes like that doesn't really make you a moron. Two weeks ago, I was slightly overcooking chicken (I'm AWFUL at cooking) and I looked at my best friend and exclaimed "You know, sometimes I wish I was human..." It took me a good 10 minutes to figure out why she was laughing so hard and why what I said was one of the stupidest things I've ever said. People do and say stupid things all the time, and a lot of that can be chalked up to simple mistakes, that doesn't make someone a moron.

@Jarjar: Honestly, I don't really consider them lurkers. Sure, they're less active than the rest of us, but they're still posting and their posting fairly consistently, I have a feeling they just don't tend to post a lot, for whatever reason.

Also, I apologize for disappearing for a good 3 days when I said I'd reply to something soon; stuff went cray around here.
A genius, huh? What does that mean? "Genius"? So I was not born with a whole lot of natural talent, not gifted like Neji… but I work hard and I never give up! That is my gift; that is my ninja way! ---- Rock Lee
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:29 am

Post by I Love Fairies »

^^^ Plus, if you think that I'm implying that you're a moron, wouldn't that mean that person who is the victim of the "fake hammer" would have to be a moron to not notice the votes?

You say that I'm implying you're stupid for not realizing the number of votes. Yet you seem to think that everyone else would be deceived. Do you really think that the rest of us are morons?
A genius, huh? What does that mean? "Genius"? So I was not born with a whole lot of natural talent, not gifted like Neji… but I work hard and I never give up! That is my gift; that is my ninja way! ---- Rock Lee
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 230, Hopkirk wrote:Fos on jarja.
go on...
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am

Post by Hopkirk »

@Jarjar: When someone starts going for a policy lynch d1 alarms go off.

In mafia you calculate before any gambit. It’s a very common gambit.
The idea is that they would be expecting a real hammer (I went to all the bother of the “I’m not voting them yet as I don’t want them on l-1 yet so it would sound like I hadn’t voted them before). It could have working on him as 1.) He’s new so may not know it’s a gambit thus think it’s real (since he wouldn’t know to expect a fake hammer). If you’re not being careful then you may fall for it (the gambit I’ve seen work probably less than 5% of the time but there’s no downside really). If you spend a while preparing a gambit then you'll make sure it works. Other people not expecting it who think it's genuine will (very occasionally if done well) fall for it.

Right

Say you go to a bar. You go up order your drink, a nice regular glass of wine or something. You drink it and it tastes like crap. Want to know what’s wrong with it and the barman tells you they always put vinegar in the wine unless you ask them not to. Now if you’re a regular you’ll know how to avoid it. But if you haven’t been there before you won’t. If you’ve never been there before, never even been to a bar wine before and nobody tells you about it beforehand then you would probably drink the q. Unless you’re very careful you have a chance of falling for it.
Soc is new and probably hasn’t heard of a fake gambit before.
So there was a chance he’d fall for it.
Quite a good chance he’d drink the wine.
The wine in front of him.

I am sorry for the pun.
JarJarDrinks
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
JarJarDrinks
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 am

Post by JarJarDrinks »

In post 234, Hopkirk wrote:@Jarjar: When someone starts going for a policy lynch d1 alarms go off.
If someone was like obvscum I'd agree. I'm not crazy about TheSoc but I'm not anywhere near 100% that he'll flip red.

Waiting to lynch lurkers untill later is just terrible play. Day 1 is the perfect time to policy lynch because it's when the least amount of information is available. Seems pretty obvious to me.

catboi posted this TWO days ago:
In post 218, catboi wrote:Still, I'm going to look over everyone else tomorrow now that I have more to read off.
We still havent heard from her despite her posting elsewhere on the site.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am

So, questions. Ideally, I would like everyone to answer them (yes, that includes myself :V), but I have my doubts about that working tbh.

1) What do you think of the current lynch?

2) Depending on how doctor flips, who do you think would be a good suspect next phase?

3) Is there anyone you suspect of distancing? Explain.

4) Ditto above, but with buddying?

5) When do you think the best time for a full reads list would be?

6) Give your two scummiest reads right now, and say why.

7) If there is a cop, who do you think would be best to be investigated tonight?

8) Also, do you think it would be a good idea to have everyone announce
one
read sans reasoning at the start of next phase? Explain your reasoning.
LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:53 am

And JarJar just reminded me of another.

9) What is your opinion on lynching lurkers?
Thesoctorisin
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Thesoctorisin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am

Post by Thesoctorisin »

1. Well, considering I'm the current lynch. I think I'm town
2. I don't think this question really applies to me, but if you want me to answer it just tell me.
3. I don't understand this question
4. Or this one
5. Day 2 when your nearing a lynch (Iv already posted mine though)
6. Like I said I already have. Nothing's changed.
7. Me so I could prove that I'm VT
8. I don't understand this question either
9. I'm all for it
Number_0ne
Number_0ne
Goon
Number_0ne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 pm

Post by Number_0ne »

In post 225, Hopkirk wrote:@One: Why do you want to wait to hop on a wagon over making one yourself.
Every time I seem to be making a vote on someone at this point in time, they soon do actions that make them seem townier to me. I don't know who to suspect without a flip first.
In post 229, JarJarDrinks wrote:I think we should seriously discuss a lurker lynch. catboi and Docthorr have 8 posts each. Pretty much every other player in the game has more than them combined.

We need to seriously consider lynching one of them because if either (or both) of them is scum then they have no reason to post anything @ this point. Like why would scum ever post unless they were forced to?

unvote: Thesoctorisin
vote: catboi

From initial rereads of them, I think catboi is the scummier of the 2. Plus she's supposed to be one of the more experienced players so I think we should expect more than the small amount of posts we've seen from her.
I am actually alright with this. I think that we should be lynching lurkers day 1, because there's worse consequences to have to deal with a problem like that later on in the game and I don't have any strong suspects atm.

VOTE: Catboi

For LessThanOriginal's questions:

1. I don't think thesoctor is scum anymore, just misguided town. Part of my reason for voting Catboi over Docthorr is because of eis position on the wagon.
2. I'm assuming you're referring to thesoctor rather than Docthorr, and I'd say that we don't really have to make him flip.
3 and 4. I don't want to discuss this day 1.
5. In Lylo
6. As mentioned, I'm really not sure.
7. Cops should investigate lurkers, because that's the other way to get their alignment rather than lynching them.
8. I can't see how town will benefit from that. It will just make people curious.
9. yes, as long as we have a safe lynch.
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Post by I Love Fairies »

In post 234, Hopkirk wrote:@Jarjar: When someone starts going for a policy lynch d1 alarms go off.

In mafia you calculate before any gambit. It’s a very common gambit.
The idea is that they would be expecting a real hammer (I went to all the bother of the “I’m not voting them yet as I don’t want them on l-1 yet so it would sound like I hadn’t voted them before). It could have working on him as 1.) He’s new so may not know it’s a gambit thus think it’s real (since he wouldn’t know to expect a fake hammer). If you’re not being careful then you may fall for it (the gambit I’ve seen work probably less than 5% of the time but there’s no downside really). If you spend a while preparing a gambit then you'll make sure it works. Other people not expecting it who think it's genuine will (very occasionally if done well) fall for it.

Right

Say you go to a bar. You go up order your drink, a nice regular glass of wine or something. You drink it and it tastes like crap. Want to know what’s wrong with it and the barman tells you they always put vinegar in the wine unless you ask them not to. Now if you’re a regular you’ll know how to avoid it. But if you haven’t been there before you won’t. If you’ve never been there before, never even been to a bar wine before and nobody tells you about it beforehand then you would probably drink the q. Unless you’re very careful you have a chance of falling for it.
Soc is new and probably hasn’t heard of a fake gambit before.
So there was a chance he’d fall for it.
Quite a good chance he’d drink the wine.
The wine in front of him.

I am sorry for the pun.
I honestly don't see it, but I guess you're right, I don't really see a downside to a fake hammer. Still, what matters is whether or not it is a fake hammer or not.

Plus, I'm new, and I managed to see that they put vinegar in the wine, so I doubt it ever really works.
In post 236, LessThanOriginal wrote:So, questions. Ideally, I would like everyone to answer them (yes, that includes myself :V), but I have my doubts about that working tbh.

2) Depending on how doctor flips, who do you think would be a good suspect next phase?

7) If there is a cop, who do you think would be best to be investigated tonight?

one
1. Not really against it, but I would prefer a lynch on someone else.
2. I'm not really sure to be honest, I'll have to look over the interactions he's had with people recently.
3. Not as of yet, but I haven't had the ability to look too closely at this game.
4. Same as 3.
5. People have been saying Day 2, I still don't buy into the reasoning that Day 1 is a horrible time for a trust list, but unless someone gives me good reasoning to think otherwise, I'll say Day 2 is a good time.
6. Bulba and Number One. I've given my reasonings as to why in the past. Part of my reasoning regarding those two is partially rested in gut as well.
7. I'd investigate Bulba, but either Bulba or Hopkirk would work. Both of them in my opinion, have legitimately tried to get the other lynched. If one is scum, the other one may not be. However, that doesn't work the other way, if one turns out to be town, that doesn't mean the other is scum. It could just be two town fighting each other. Honestly though, I still feel like Bulba is scummy.
8. I'm confused as to what you mean here. Your question is probably clear, but I'm sick and very tired, could you rephrase that?
In post 237, LessThanOriginal wrote:And JarJar just reminded me of another.

Lynching lurkers is a fantastic idea, but not if we have people who others feel they have valid reasoning against. Lynching lurkers also requires that we have lurkers. While we do have a few people who are low on post count, I don't really think anyone is lurking, my opinion of that might change Day 2 though. In our current situation, I don't think that lynching lurkers is a good idea.

I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to post at all on Friday, so I'll make my final decision on who I'll be voting on tomorrow.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Post by catboi »

My activity level consistent across my games, I can't really post much during the week. Sort of laughable that you're not actually reading in to the posts I've made, though, and just gone solely on frequency. I also wasn't aware having a couple of completed games suddenly makes me greatly more experienced, but all right. (I honestly wasn't aware of the deadline or I'd have been more active, though some days I;m just too tired to post I'm sorry)

Still fairly confident Fairies is town, comes across as very earnest, shows a genuine attempt at scumhuntingpulling from her own observations rather than trying to apply generic tells etc

hopkirk I like for the dumb fake hammer thing, ultimately flashy plays like that producing more noise than results but the fact that he did it in a newbie game, to me, suggests he wasn't looking for towncred in doing so

soctor could honestly just be noobish and awkward but I've really no way to tell and I'm not going to complain if he's lynched

I don't love bulbazak this game, it feels like he's faded after his initial tunnel on hopkirk and hasn't been keeping pace with the thread since then, while tunneling might be more of a playstyle thing for him, I'm not seeing him make a real effort to convince people, at this point he's parking his vote and not doing much else, despite keeping up with posts, they feel mostly empty in terms of content. lean toward scum here.

docthorr hasn't said much but comes across decently genuine, he's not a great lynch. He seems to want to contribute even if he doesn't know exactly what to do

jarjar I don't feel one way or the other one. He's active and contributing but a little generic, I don't have any tells there one way or the other

number 0ne's first post was bad and I nearly voted him for it, he waffles on the argument then doesn't take a stance either way, makes a useless vote after that with odd reasoning "I don't want everyone to end up tunneling". I recall feeling better about him after that post, on review I'm a lot more undecided, though I was sort of expecting him to be scummy. Comes across as using a lot of cautious language and hesitance in his votes, which I don't like, but I do like this:
In post 239, Number_0ne wrote:Every time I seem to be making a vote on someone at this point in time, they soon do actions that make them seem townier to me. I don't know who to suspect without a flip first.
which comes across as plausibly town. So, I don't really know. Would need to see more from him, content-wise.

LTO I don't like at all and I feel like they've been pointedly avoiding making a real comment on anything going on while playing the "I prefer to observe" card which is a good way to remain completely at a distance from any sort of actual argument. It's all empty content and posturing when there's been plenty said and has been since the first page, basically

UNVOTE:

VOTE: LessThanOriginal
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Post by catboi »

(also, I signed up for a newbie game specifically because I'm trying to improve my posting, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 229, JarJarDrinks wrote:I think we should seriously discuss a lurker lynch. catboi and Docthorr have 8 posts each. Pretty much every other player in the game has more than them combined.
Activity is not alignment indicative. Do you no longer believe Soctor is scum?
In post 229, JarJarDrinks wrote: We need to seriously consider lynching one of them because if either (or both) of them is scum then they have no reason to post anything @ this point. Like why would scum ever post unless they were forced to?
I've found that lurking doesn't tend to work as a scum strategy, as it starts to become obvious as the game progresses. Overall, activity tends to be null as a tell. I, for example, would get awfully bored if I purposefully lurked, as that would defeat the entire purpose of playing the game.
In post 231, I Love Fairies wrote: Honestly, I still feel like you're holding back on information and opinions. You're supposed to be the strongest player in this game, but you don't seem to be acting like it beyond your ability to deflect questions.
I may very well be holding back on information and opinions, but if I am, it's because I don't think it's best to disclose them just yet. Also, me being an IC just means I have at least 5 games worth of experience and am willing to try to teach you how to play. That does not necessarily mean I'm the strongest player in the game, although it probably means that I shouldn't expect to live to see the end of it.
In post 231, I Love Fairies wrote: I want you to answer "my question" in one big paragraph rather than two "pinpointed sentences" because it is a paragraph.
Ok.
In post 166, I Love Fairies wrote:I find Bulba to be more scummy because Bulba has the most experience out of all of us, yet he really only responds to things that are directly related to him.
First, your case relies on a Burden of Proficiency argument, which is based on me being scummy based on my experience. Second, the overall sentiment that I have been only responding to things directly related to me is not true. A decent reading of my ISO would tell you that.

Happy now? I essentially said the same thing in paragraph form.
In post 240, I Love Fairies wrote: Lynching lurkers is a fantastic idea, but not if we have people who others feel they have valid reasoning against. Lynching lurkers also requires that we have lurkers. While we do have a few people who are low on post count, I don't really think anyone is lurking, my opinion of that might change Day 2 though. In our current situation, I don't think that lynching lurkers is a good idea.
So, lynching lurkers is a fantastic idea, but we shouldn't do it because it's a bad idea?
In post 241, catboi wrote: I don't love bulbazak this game, it feels like he's faded after his initial tunnel on hopkirk and hasn't been keeping pace with the thread since then, while tunneling might be more of a playstyle thing for him, I'm not seeing him make a real effort to convince people, at this point he's parking his vote and not doing much else, despite keeping up with posts, they feel mostly empty in terms of content. lean toward scum here.
So you noticed that I've not been keeping pace with the thread and have seem distracted. Did you ever think RL issues might be involved, and that I might naturally be tired and distracted right now? I'll be honest, there are days where I don't feel like playing at all, and I feel worn out most of the time atm. It should get better once I'm not performing every night, but I fail to see how my activity or my apathy is indicative of scum.

I also don't like LTO's list of questions, and I won't be answering them. They're not framed as a means to help him scumhunt, but rather for him to get a feel for what the thought process of the town is and to look important. Those are all questions that would be useful for a scum team to know going into the night phase. I'd vote him, but there's something else I noticed holding me back, and I'd rather keep it close to my chest for now.

Also, Hopkirk, quit making me like you.

Unvote

Vote Thesoctorisin
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Post by I Love Fairies »

I really need to start wording my sentences differently, either your choosing to interpreting my posts incorrectly, or you're legitimately unintentionally misinterpreting my posts.

Even if my case relies on a burden of proficiency, that doesn't mean that it's incorrect: "Some players dispute that this is a fallacy. If the player in question does tend to find more scum as town than they do as scum, then by Bayes's Theorem the fact that they haven't found scum raises their likelihood of being scum themselves." You say that you haven't been just replying to things that concern you directly, but I feel like you're not genuine unless it's about you. It's hard to explain what I mean, because I'm not even sure myself what exactly I mean, but I suppose I can chalk most of it to "gut feel."

At very least, you've addressed why you haven't disclosed all of your observations/opinions. That is somewhat townish to address that, but I still think your wrong in holding back.

My point with the lurkers thing is this: lynching lurkers is only good if we have literally nothing else to go on. I was being a sarcastic smartass. Sometimes I forget that tone doesn't convey over text. =/
I Love Fairies
I Love Fairies
Goon
I Love Fairies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Post by I Love Fairies »

How do I edit? I made an awful grammar mistake and it's hurting me physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:56 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

You don't edit your posts. It's to prevent people from cheating. If you need to make a correction, you do so in another post, generally using EBWOP (Edit by way of post).

LessThanOriginal
LessThanOriginal
Goon
LessThanOriginal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Fairly apathetic to it. Correct D1 lynches are pretty rare (at least in the places I've previously played) so it's more that I'm using soctor as a way to read other people after his flip than having much hope in him flipping Mafia. I haven't seen anything I would count as a Townie slip from him yet though, and newbies tend to be much better at making those kinds of mistakes genuinely so eh, I can hope.

If Mafia, I'd have to check his interactions with everyone again, but hopefully he'd have slipped somewhere in his read list. I'd also look at those last on the bandwagon (in case of bussing).

If Town, I'd probably also look at those who found him scummy. Probably in the middle of the bandwagon, or people who said he was susp, but refused to vote (what reasons did they give? If "better suspect" leaning towards Town perhaps?). There are so many factors to take into account though and they all depend on each other so I'm not that good at explaining, sorry.

I put this down expecting actual names, and yet I can't provide them myself >_<.

I think most things so far have seemed to genuine to be put on. But I'm presuming the Mafia don't get the chance to communicate before the game starts so.
@Robocopter87
, can the Mafia talk in their QT before the game starts? I couldn't find it in the rules, sorry.

Possibly? I'll have to look back through later if I have the patience.

About a (rl) day into D2, for reasons previously explained.

Hopkirk. He seems to eager to sling guilt onto people. If scum, it would be a good idea to look at who he's not yet attacked.

Docthorr. Fewest number of posts and at least one of those was excusing his behaviour and putting it down to timezones. Given the length of phases and the fact that I'm only an hour behind him, I think, I can say that his timezone in no way justifies how quiet he's been, and that he needs to contribute more at the very least. He goes vote, unvote, weird comment about my lack of avi, more excuses for not posting, etc. http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... ct[]=23316

People in the grey areas in terms of alignment. They'll be less likely to be killed at night because the Mafia often like to keep around people likely to draw more suspicion than them, and the read can help clear up a lot of things if they can get it out somehow. I'm thinking Bulbazak, or maybe me?

one

This was originally an idea on how to help the cop before I realised a potential flaw in it. And then I thought I'd keep it in to see who else noticed it. Ask me about it once more people have answered 'cause I don't want to influence the answers too much.

Depends on what classes as a lurker, I suppose. If someone is posting quality content, but few posts then I probably wouldn't class them as a lurker. I'd probably say that a lurker is someone who doesn't contribute enough useful information to the thread. Anyway, I don't think that's really needed at this stage in the game, but if anyone becomes at risk of a modkill due to inactivity I would rather lynch them than get a modkill *and* a lynch and possibly be down by two Townies at the end of a phase.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

@LTO: Check out the sample mafia role PMs. The Mafia had access to their QT during pregame. This tends to be the case in almost all games. Also, absent players are rarely modkilled. Typically they're replaced.

Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

I agree with bulb that lessthan doesn’t seem like he’s aiming to actually use these questions to scumhunt but rather to see what others are thinking + how to play around them.

I’ll answer these however because that forces him to do something with them, after which I can critique that to get a better read.

1) It seems quite good in that he seems scummy and has interacted. I will reread him though just in case.

2) It depends. Maybe jarjar or faries

3) Not really.

4) Not really.

5) Maybe tommorow.

6) Soctor and either jarjar or faries. See my iso.

7) One of my scumreads please.

8) We should always have one active read with reasoning at the very least. At it must be a scumread too.

9) Not day one. Maybe later.

The problem with a lurker lynch is it gets us nothing in terms of interaction tells. It’s effectively the same as a no-lynch day one- we’re back to the beginning.

@Faries: Of the 20ish games I’ve played I’ve only seen it work once before. (not used in every game ofc) But there is no harm in trying.

@Lessthan: Why would it be advantageous for scum to be throwing reads everywhere (thus making enemies) rather than focusing on 1-2 people and making friends who won’t lynch him?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”