Newbie 1488: Igloo-Town Tragedy (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:48 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

The funny thing is nobody even questioned why I voted private. Nobody asked if I had read up or anything.

That certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

unvote
Robbed of a scummy for what had to be the best unvote in mafiascum history.

Sometimes I get heated and don’t realize it. If I get like this please somebody tell me to take a break and chill out. Thanks in advance.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:51 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

The reasoning for his lynch would also apply to a power role staying low. He hasn't done anything scummy.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:03 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 151, Randomnamechange wrote:The reasoning for his lynch would also apply to a power role staying low. He hasn't done anything scummy.
Got that scum? Just post as little as possible and randomidget will never lynch you because you might be a power role and you haven't done anything scummy.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 am

Post by PrivateI »

In post 149, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Anyone in the game could be innocent or could be a power role right now; should we lynch no one ever?
DDP, this quote, along with your avatar, make me love you as a player.

Randomidget, I don't understand your motive. You have to understand that your logic is...flawed at best. Are you proposing that we go after those active players since they aren't trying to go under the radar, and thus must not be PR's? That's a dangerous assumption at best, and scummy at worst.

To all players, I do apologize. I know I'm not as active as you would like, or, quite frankly, as active as I would like. As finals very quickly approach, along with the due date for some extensive projects that I shouldn't have procrastinated on, I'm finding it more and more difficult to log in. I would ask you not to lynch for inactivity, however.

Billi, I have to question your quite sudden shift. In
In post 131, Billi bilaði wrote:So, DDD, PrivateI is contributing through posting questions and being active throughout the game.
Now, the other SE, innocent, only has 1 post after the first 3 days, and no questions, no content except to defend himself, basically, no gameplay.
Where is your picking on that undercontribution from an SE?
, you appear to defend me, and then in the next content post, switch your vote for no apparent reason. As someone who has played logically for most of this game, the sudden switch concerns me. Unless your opinion drastically shifted between Post 131 and 139, it simply appears like you wanted the most convenient lynch. Can you explain?

While I'm thinking about it, Billi, your vote came just minutes after Jake's vote on me. I feel like that was quite an opportunistic jump.

Zephyr, are you really considering anyone as scum right now? In an optimal world, who would we lynch today?

Finally, to respond to multiple objections by people, as a whole, I generally ask questions. Answers to questions shape my opinions, but it's difficult for me to build cases until I pick up on something more obvious. Consider my questions to generally be directed toward players I have slight scum reads on.

Quote tags fixed ~Mod
Last edited by Ser Arthur Dayne on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:26 am

Post by PrivateI »

Ugh.

Mod, can you show me how to Post tag? Maybe in the process making my post above better?
Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:35 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

In post 149, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:... should we lynch no one ever?
So, with less than 5 days to go (of 14), and more then half the players with fewer posts than the moderator, are you quite comfortable, DDD, to lynch now?

Most newbie games I've looked over have close to 30 pages of day one. All the experienced players here are totally relaxed that this game is giving close to no information about a big part of the players, and that I don't need to take off my shoes and socks to count the pages.
Well, at least my toes are warm still.
<Twiddles thumbs>

So, might the moderator have made the mistake of having 3 mafia members? :P
Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

In post 150, Jake from State Farm wrote:The funny thing is nobody even questioned why I voted private. Nobody asked if I had read up or anything.

That certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

unvote
Well, I just put you in the mafia-corner and decided to see how things would play out.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:42 am

Vote IV

best vote we've got. Nothing contributed, and pretty survivalistic.
Dunno, why I said that stuff about Private, I was tired. Sorry about that.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:45 am

In post 148, Randomnamechange wrote:Hang on a minute. We are lynching Private because he isn't very active. This is a terrible excuse. He could be innocent, or a town power role.
In post 157, Randomnamechange wrote:
Vote IV

please tell me what the difference between Private and IV are.

Sometimes I get heated and don’t realize it. If I get like this please somebody tell me to take a break and chill out. Thanks in advance.
Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

In post 153, PrivateI wrote:...Billi, I have to question your quite sudden shift. ..., you appear to defend me, and then in the next content post, switch your vote for no apparent reason. As someone who has played logically for most of this game, the sudden switch concerns me. Unless your opinion drastically shifted between Post 131 and 139, it simply appears like you wanted the most convenient lynch. Can you explain?

While I'm thinking about it, Billi, your vote came just minutes after Jake's vote on me. I feel like that was quite an opportunistic jump.
Nope; no shift in suspicion. I just think that this bandwagon will be very informative. In a well played game it is pure luck to get a mafioso on day one, so, I have no qualms over L-1's on day 1.
This game is "well-played" in the sense the almost everybody is laying low and so giving little to no info on status.

Also, with me reading as a complete townie to all who have given calls, a small suspicion going my way isn't that bad. :wink:

I gave my reads in a post not so long ago, and nothing has changed since then. I would prefer bandwagons on my top candidates, and would hammer some of them, given the opportunity.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:48 am

Private has contributed slightly more by asking questions. Also, IV was oddly survivalistic.
Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:52 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

In post 158, Jake from State Farm wrote:
In post 148, Randomnamechange wrote:Hang on a minute. We are lynching Private because he isn't very active. This is a terrible excuse. He could be innocent, or a town power role.
Vote IV

PrivateI is asking questions (which I haven't seen much answers to, which can totally kill a line of questioning). He is regularly contributing, although the posts aren't long. So, everything for me says: don't lynch on day one - see how it plays out.

innocent has no contributions to the game at all, in my opinion. He blundered with a lie in the beginning, (which in itself was of little import as DDD has pointed out), and then the only thing he did was aggressively defend himself when caught, instead of calmly state his reasons. After the first 3 days he stopped playing, and just puts in mandatory one-liners with no content, so as not to get prodded - while he has a lot of activity in other games. Basically, for me, he's perfect lynch material for day 1.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 am

Yet you aren't voting him...

Also what lie? I didn't catch where that happened.

Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 am

Btw , I plan to read tonight after my daughter's basketball evaluations.

Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:01 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

In post 162, Jake from State Farm wrote:Yet you aren't voting him...

Also what lie? I didn't catch where that happened.
The lie is the last sentence of post no. 8 in the game.
The reason for me currently not voting him is stated in my very resent answer to PrivateI.
And, as the L-1 has been dropped, my vote goes to its proper home...

VOTE: innocentvillager
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 155, Billi bilaði wrote:So, with less than 5 days to go (of 14), and more then half the players with fewer posts than the moderator, are you quite comfortable, DDD, to lynch now?

Most newbie games I've looked over have close to 30 pages of day one. All the experienced players here are totally relaxed that this game is giving close to no information about a big part of the players, and that I don't need to take off my shoes and socks to count the pages.
And my question back to you is what's the alternative? A no lynch isn't a real option; saying we won't lynch until X more pages have passed is completely arbitrary as there may or may not be actual useful information in those pages, saying we won't lynch for X more days is likely just to cause a panic push at the deadline and that sucks.

Personally, I've got what I feel like are two solid town reads, another acceptable town read, three new players I'd be willing to lynch and two SEs I'd love to lynch. Feels fine to me especially once things start getting cut down.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 am

Why aren't you sharing your reads?
Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

In post 165, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
In post 155, Billi bilaði wrote:So, with less than 5 days to go (of 14), and more then half the players with fewer posts than the moderator, are you quite comfortable, DDD, to lynch now?

And my question back to you is what's the alternative? A no lynch isn't a real option; saying we won't lynch until X more pages have passed is completely arbitrary as there may or may not be actual useful information in those pages, saying we won't lynch for X more days is likely just to cause a panic push at the deadline and that sucks.

Personally, I've got what I feel like are two solid town reads, another acceptable town read, three new players I'd be willing to lynch and two SEs I'd love to lynch. Feels fine to me especially once things start getting cut down.
I don't take that as a serious question back to me. I've already stated that I'm ready to hammer. You are just evading the questions put to you.

Still, this is the first time I see that you treat both SE's the same. Also your first semi-reads to look at. We are certainly making progress. :cool:

PS: If you'd love to lynch both SE's, then why not join me on the innocent bandwagon?
jklash12
jklash12
Goon
jklash12
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:27 am

Post by jklash12 »

No not because he isn't very active. I like the Private lynch because, if you iso him you see, he was just asking questions to looks active and like he cared about the game and wasn't really adding that much.
In post 146, Zephyrus wrote:
In post 98, jklash12 wrote:I am actually not against DDD's private vote. I like it. Looking at Private's posts He has just asked questions in his last couple posts and not much of substance as far as trying to find scum. This would be a good tactic for scum because 1. It gives you more posts and looks like you are active 2. Looks like to other town that you are trying to figure out the game.
This is pretty good point here and I agree to some extent. I read his ISO and he doesn't sound too scummy to me. I would like to hear from him some more before I cast my vote.

Quote tags fixed ~Mod
Do you want to hear from me or Private?
In post 161, Billi bilaði wrote:
In post 158, Jake from State Farm wrote:
Vote IV

PrivateI is asking questions (which I haven't seen much answers to, which can totally kill a line of questioning). He is regularly contributing, although the posts aren't long. So, everything for me says: don't lynch on day one - see how it plays out.
So, you want to no-lynch day1? That would be a very bad idea. If you don't see why it is a very bad idea, just ask me I would be happy to explain why you shouldn't no lynch.
Billi bilaði
Billi bilaði
Goon
Billi bilaði
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:35 am

Post by Billi bilaði »

No, jklash12, this sentence is only talking about PrivateI, not about a nolynch-day. (The word "him" is missing from the sentence.)
As you can see in other recents posts I'm quite ready to lynch now.
But, I would love to here your explanation of why no-lynch is bad. I've never played such a game, so, I can see both pros and cons.
jklash12
jklash12
Goon
jklash12
Goon
Goon

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:05 am

Post by jklash12 »

In post 146, Zephyrus wrote:
In post 98, jklash12 wrote:I am actually not against DDD's private vote. I like it. Looking at Private's posts He has just asked questions in his last couple posts and not much of substance as far as trying to find scum. This would be a good tactic for scum because 1. It gives you more posts and looks like you are active 2. Looks like to other town that you are trying to figure out the game.
This is pretty good point here and I agree to some extent. I read his ISO and he doesn't sound too scummy to me. I would like to hear from him some more before I cast my vote.

Quote tags fixed ~Mod
O sorry misinterpreted that post. But in most cases a no-lynch would not be helpful. It doesn't tell you much about the game because all that it does is leave you at the same point you were on the previous day minus one person if the night kill goes off correctly. Some people might say you can analyze the night kill but all that logic ends up as is WIFOM.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Post by innocentvillager »

I'll just address random shit that popped out at me:
In post 161, Billi bilaði wrote:innocent has no contributions to the game at all, in my opinion. He blundered with a lie in the beginning,
Um I thought we already established this was a joke k thanks bye
In post 155, Billi bilaði wrote:Most newbie games I've looked over have close to 30 pages of day one.
30 pages is like the max for D1. Most are like 10-20 pages.
In post 161, Billi bilaði wrote:while he has a lot of activity in other games.
I have to mod a game, and the only other thing I did was check out what marathon forum was for a night. So no.
In post 131, Billi bilaði wrote:Where is your picking on that undercontribution from an SE?
There is no SE burden to contribute any more than others. The only reason I am an 'SE' is because I can't play games without being labelled an 'SE'. IC has more burden because they sign up for that role.
In post 139, Billi bilaði wrote:I like it when things get interresting - so, for the heck of it - lets get this to L-1...

VOTE: PrivateI
Even though L-1 is sketchy as hell, the way he worded it seems more like he is doing it merely to stimulate activity, which fits in logically with his earlier frustrations of low activity. Boldness fits in with earlier play too. Another reason I think Billi is town.

DDD is starting to bother me:
In post 88, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Survivalism short of lying is fine, it's just not a scumtell. And of course I want to force my opinion on the town, I want it so that when I want to push my opinion that there are no dissenting opinions.
This is scummy not for the reason that randomidget proposed necessarily, but more because it seems very awkwardly aggressive. I know a lot of experienced mafia that like to be aggressive and play to the leader aggressive-town stereotype, and this sentence is overdoing that aggression.
No dissenting opinions
? You don't even need EVERYONE to sheep you to win. You just need most.

That being said people unnecessarily got their panties in a twist when he voted Private which was fine
In post 152, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
In post 151, Randomnamechange wrote:The reasoning for his lynch would also apply to a power role staying low. He hasn't done anything scummy.
Got that scum? Just post as little as possible and randomidget will never lynch you because you might be a power role and you haven't done anything scummy.
Not helpful to town at all; a newbie has a little misconception and instead of explaining why he's wrong in a constructive way (as is your IC job), you sass him out. Does not look town-motivated at all.

VOTE: Triple D
Zephyrus
Zephyrus
Goon
Zephyrus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Post by Zephyrus »

Newbie question: What does L-1 mean? Lynch 1?
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 172, Zephyrus wrote:Newbie question: What does L-1 mean? Lynch 1?
Zephyr, when someone is at L-1, that simply means that they are one vote away from the required number of votes to lynch. For example, in a game with 7 players alive, if 3 people were voting for 1 person, that player would be at L-1, because one additional vote would be enough to give him more than 50% of the votes in the game, thus lynching him. You will also see L-2, L-3, etc., which simply indicate that someone is two votes away from being lynched, three votes away, and so on.
dawn_to_dusk
dawn_to_dusk
Goon
dawn_to_dusk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Post by dawn_to_dusk »

Posting as I don't want to be nudged but I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute ^^

Welcome jake anyway

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”