Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Post by Aquanim »

In post 467, Not_Mafia wrote:urgh this BBT wagon is baaaaaaaaaad

Aquanim, what do you think of BBT's most recent post in relation to your "reactive not proactive" scumread?
It's somewhere in between "a good start" and "too little too late". Pretty much all of his questions are to do with Madonna's read on BBT, or Madonna's read on other people's reads of BBT. A fixation on other people's reads of oneself is not the sole domain of scum but I think I've seen it more often from scum than from town. I also, well... don't see the point of these questions. That also doesn't mean he's definitely scum since I don't always understand the point of questions townies make, but "try to poke holes in other people's scum reads of me" describes these questions better than "exposing scumminess in Madonna's posts."

Also, if you think the BBT wagon is scum-driven that means one or both of Thor and I are scum. Which are you thinking and why?
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Post by Aquanim »

To directly answer your question, there's a proactive element to that post but the fact that most of the questions are reacting to Madonna's read on BBT dilutes that a lot.
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 468, Not_Mafia wrote:Also I'm not ruling out Trickster whiteknighting the BBT slot
This. This is very interesting.

I just went back and thought about it.

How do we know you're not whiteknighting it? You could be scum setting me up for a lynch.

FoS Not_Mafia
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 472, Thor665 wrote:
In post 468, Not_Mafia wrote:Also I'm not ruling out Trickster whiteknighting the BBT slot
Naturally.
I'm not ruling you doing it out either though ;)
Why was your reaction to this "Naturally"?

Do you know he's town?

FoS Thor
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:27 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

Oh...

Just.. Ignore my FoS's...

I'm just kinda... freaking out. I don't like the BBT wagon at all and I'm just being really paranoid..

Let me go take a walk and think this through.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Post by Aquanim »

In post 340, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:
In post 339, Madonna wrote:
2) BlueBloodedToffee:
Scum. Pushed really hard for a case against Thor665 using logic that should have condemned himself as well.
Unable to stand by his own arguments or see contradictions, and huffs off when he cannot answer things directly.

I am sure enough people have accused you of an AtE, so I am sure you have heard how bad that is. But let us pretend you are legitimately ready to quit! Yes, Mafia can be hard. Mafia can be frustrating. Yes, you can die the first day. These are all things you need to accept, and if things get to you, take a walk, ignore the thread for a day; I know I do! And hopefully, you can see the appeal of the game, why you signed up here, and play as best you can to win.
Yeah, as I have stated I did not mean that post to come across in the way it did. I can see how it looks like an AtE, if I knew about this I'm sure I could have constructed a better post.

@Bold - What case did I make against Thor?
Just as a random and somewhat outdated point, this post seems very off to me. A townie should be posting honestly what they think, not trying to "construct" an 'oh woe is me' post to dodge the lynch.

I mean, the mere implication that BBT's breakdown and AtE was "constructed" rather than a genuine outburst is pretty damn scummy.
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 505, Aquanim wrote:Just as a random and somewhat outdated point, this post seems very off to me. A townie should be posting honestly what they think, not trying to "construct" an 'oh woe is me' post to dodge the lynch.

I mean, the mere implication that BBT's breakdown and AtE was "constructed" rather than a genuine outburst is pretty damn scummy.
Are you trying to condemn Madonna or BBT here?
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Post by Aquanim »

Vis-à-vis BBT's changing read on me I also think there was a definite theme of "Well this looks bad for me so I'd better not pursue it" rather than "Well I guess I was mistaken so I'd better not pursue it". I think he still hasn't said his read on me has changed, only that he's not going to talk about me any more because it looks bad for him.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Post by Aquanim »

In post 506, Tr1ckster wrote:
In post 505, Aquanim wrote:Just as a random and somewhat outdated point, this post seems very off to me. A townie should be posting honestly what they think, not trying to "construct" an 'oh woe is me' post to dodge the lynch.

Are you trying to condemn Madonna or BBT here?
BlueBloodedToffee. He's saying himself that he constructed his earlier posts.
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 507, Aquanim wrote:Vis-à-vis BBT's changing read on me I also think there was a definite theme of "Well this looks bad for me so I'd better not pursue it" rather than "Well I guess I was mistaken so I'd better not pursue it". I think he still hasn't said his read on me has changed, only that he's not going to talk about me any more because it looks bad for him.
In post 508, Aquanim wrote:BlueBloodedToffee. He's saying himself that he constructed his earlier posts.
I don't know.

I think the points you've brought up you're only viewing from the perspective of him as scum.

It's possible that you just misread and he's saying "Well I guess I was mistaken so I'd better not pursue it."

People have misread you before, haven't they? I don't know. It's possible your interpretation is off.

And with the "constructed" thing... what if he meant that he should have been more logical, and he was trying to fix his AtE by using logical terms and the like?
Madonna
Madonna
Goon
Madonna
Goon
Goon

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Post by Madonna »

@Aquanim: That scum read list was slapped together for Tr1ckster's convenience, so do not look for much depth there than mostly gut feelings and previously posted arguments other people have shared. However, BlueBloodedToffee has shown unwillingness to address arguments to satisfaction, and concede he has lost an argument. That may stem from the belief that losing an argument = scum, so I can understand him being upset, but his inability to even agree that his "strikes" are minor scumtells to him and that he was flat-out refusing to see that his vote on HempHHH was the same thing as Thor665's vote on Not_Mafia, and both times he tried to break away from the game instead of continuing to press his point or concede it.

I can see how you read what you did, but the idea that BlueBloodedToffee engineered mock-breakdowns is very outlandish, and I apologize if that is what came out of my foot-full mouth.

@Trickster: I did entirely misread what you said about repercussions, yes, and read it as the entire opposite, and looked back and saw Not_Mafia was probing HempHHH while you ignored the vote on you for quite a while. RVS is a shoddy stage of the game, let me say, and yes, we have to start somewhere (I started with Aquanim), but really, he did vote on someone who did vote already, so while the particular target did not matter, he did make a move that meant more than simply choosing an unvoted and unvoting member.
Make the right decision,
VOTE: Madonna
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Post by Aquanim »

In post 509, Tr1ckster wrote: I don't know.

I think the points you've brought up you're only viewing from the perspective of him as scum.

It's possible that you just misread and he's saying "Well I guess I was mistaken so I'd better not pursue it."
#274 is the last post in which he's explaining his scumread of me. His following posts are:
His further comments on me are:
#308: "I don't really want to scum-hunt against Aquanim/Thor because OMGUS."
#312: "I just tried [voting for Aquanim, in accordance with my scumread on him] and it didn't work out too well. I agree that it looks bad to try and scum-read someone who has scum-read that person beforehand".
I don't see how you can read these as anything besides "well it looks bad for me to scumread Aquanim so I won't talk about that any more".
(If I was in his position as a townie, and as a townie truly believed that [Aqua] was scum, I'd at least like to think I'd have stuck to my guns.)
And with the "constructed" thing... what if he meant that he should have been more logical, and he was trying to fix his AtE by using logical terms and the like?
Eh... maybe. To me the fact that he thinks he could have written his post differently means his giving up was a deliberate plan with a purpose, rather than an impassioned outburst. There's fundamentally no logical way to say "I'm a townie and a liability to town, please lynch me".
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Post by Aquanim »

Gotta go, be back later.
Madonna
Madonna
Goon
Madonna
Goon
Goon

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Post by Madonna »

@BlueBloodedToffee
In post 340, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:
In post 339, Madonna wrote:
2) BlueBloodedToffee:
Scum. Pushed really hard for a case against Thor665 using logic that should have condemned himself as well.
Unable to stand by his own arguments or see contradictions, and huffs off when he cannot answer things directly.

I am sure enough people have accused you of an AtE, so I am sure you have heard how bad that is. But let us pretend you are legitimately ready to quit! Yes, Mafia can be hard. Mafia can be frustrating. Yes, you can die the first day. These are all things you need to accept, and if things get to you, take a walk, ignore the thread for a day; I know I do! And hopefully, you can see the appeal of the game, why you signed up here, and play as best you can to win.
Yeah, as I have stated I did not mean that post to come across in the way it did. I can see how it looks like an AtE, if I knew about this I'm sure I could have constructed a better post.

@Bold - What case did I make against Thor?
In post 121, Thor665 wrote:
In post 120, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:When I voted for Hemp, he was posting the same thing over and over. He was not contributing, he hadn't joined in any of the discussions, he wouldn't answer questions, he wouldn't elaborate on his posts. These are reasons more worthy of trying to apply pressure to someone, not just a self-vote.
Ah, so...when Not_Mafia had self-voted, and been asked for reads and refused to give them, and had been asked by people why he had self voted and said "but the RNG" all of that was being totally helpful and not at all like what Hemp is doing...right?
:neutral:
I feel like that's *exactly* what Not_Mafia was doing. How am I wrong here?
So, when you, BlueBloodedToffee, accused Thor665 initially of being a bad guy for going after Not_Mafia and putting him to L-1, you went ahead and put HempHHH/Knell at L-2, and claimed you were only pressuring with your vote, while accusing Thor665 of trying to speedlynch and end the day with too little information. You also explain timing, as in Thor665's first move was to put Not_Mafia at L-1, but he could do that because he can just read the thread instead of making his own posts to restate what others have already said. Did it put Not_Mafia in a bad spot? You betcha, but a lynch, speed or otherwise, takes five people, not one, so only fingering the L-1 vote is unfair and illogical.
Make the right decision,
Madonna
Madonna
Goon
Madonna
Goon
Goon

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Post by Madonna »

Lost a sentence at the end of that paragraph and another paragraph:

Yes, being the L-1 might be intimidating, but trying to intimidate someone off of their vote can be taken badly.

I believe Thor665 is acting very correctly in this case because though the initial contention was fairly small, it definitely exploded into something very large. I can see that BlueBloodedToffee simply decided to stay toe-to-toe with Thor665 in a badly-conceived idea that Thor665 could be moved or that his (BlueBloodedToffee's) point was strong enough to stand scrutiny and kept fighting with a broken record of fail.

/dies of shame
Make the right decision,
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 511, Aquanim wrote:#274 is the last post in which he's explaining his scumread of me. His following posts are:
His further comments on me are:
#308: "I don't really want to scum-hunt against Aquanim/Thor because OMGUS."
#312: "I just tried [voting for Aquanim, in accordance with my scumread on him] and it didn't work out too well. I agree that it looks bad to try and scum-read someone who has scum-read that person beforehand".
I don't see how you can read these as anything besides "well it looks bad for me to scumread Aquanim so I won't talk about that any more".
(If I was in his position as a townie, and as a townie truly believed that [Aqua] was scum, I'd at least like to think I'd have stuck to my guns.)
What if he's just a really new town?

From what I've seen, you're an excellent mafia player. You're my strongest town read by far. If you're scum, you deserve a medal of honor, IMO. I've seen newb town play worse than him.

It could be he knew he's town and he's trying not to get lynched because he knows he's town and is therefore playing to his WINCON which is living? And his thought was that if he stuck to his guns, he would get lynched, and this early in D1 he couldn't be sure of any of his reads...

so he through his reads out the window (which he couldn't be certain of anyways..) in an attempt to keep his life as town and play to town's WINCON (which he was certain of).
Eh... maybe. To me the fact that he thinks he could have written his post differently means his giving up was a deliberate plan with a purpose, rather than an impassioned outburst. There's fundamentally no logical way to say "I'm a townie and a liability to town, please lynch me".
What if he is town and is pulling a self-vote here? I've seen plenty of newb town pull a self-vote. What if he saw Thor's post about the self-vote and realized he couldn't
actually
self-vote so he did it subtly in the hopes of taking the votes off of him?
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 513, Madonna wrote:only fingering the L-1 vote is unfair and illogical.
Is it really, though?

Look at what Thor said when he L-1'd.

Not only that.. but right up until the L-1, every vote could be a pressure vote. And the L-1 could be a scum-buddy setting up another scum-buddy for a quicklynch.

I don't believe it was in this scenario... but if you look at it through a newb town's eyes.. it's quite possible that's what happened.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Post by Aquanim »

Back, for a little while at least.

@Tr1ckster
: Don't get me wrong, I have doubts about the BBT lynch. It's possible that I've misinterpreted his posts and that he's town. I have doubts about *everything*. The difference is the magnitude of my doubts.

I don't think it's implausible that a townie, new or otherwise, would have chosen to back off their scumread of me based on the pressure he received over it. That being said, I would expect a townie to also say "...I still think he's scum but I'm not going to pursue that for now" or "...I no longer think he's quite as scummy" or "oh wait, he's obvtown, whoops" or whatever. Something which indicates he's still thinking about my alignment and has a continuous read on me, as a townie should. Is it possible that a townie would no longer feel comfortable even expressing an opinion about my alignment? Yeah, but I think it's definitely getting into the "unlikely" category.

I've seen newbies (and not only newbies!) self-vote before. I don't think I've ever seen a townie make a serious selfvote (i.e. not a RVS selfvote, which means very little; I mean a vote with the serious intention of lynching oneself) in cold blood.
Spoiler:
Okay, I've seen townies lynch themselves due to quirky setups which meant it directly played to their wincon. But that doesn't apply here.

The point is don't think I've ever seen a townie make a deliberate, thought-out plan to vote themselves to avoid a lynch. It's either they did it in the spur of the moment, or they're scum. Maybe a townie has done it at some point, but I think the latter two are far more likely. And the whole "constructed" thing makes the spur-of-the-moment hypothesis less likely IMO.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Everything Trickster posts is starting to feel massively fake to me right now. I'm not a fan of it.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Post by Aquanim »

Rephrasing a bit of that: voting oneself, with the stated intention of lynching oneself, but with the actual intention of avoiding a lynch, is not something I see a townie doing as a premeditated plan.

@Thor
: There's definitely a theme of "What if..." going on in Tr1ckster's posts. I don't think the "What if..."s are of particularly high likelihood but that's an opinion.
Madonna
Madonna
Goon
Madonna
Goon
Goon

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Post by Madonna »

Noting here that I must be elsewhere, but I plan on being back within the next eight hours. If that leaves anyone high and dry with questions, sorry.
Make the right decision,
Tr1ckster
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Tr1ckster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Post by Tr1ckster »

In post 517, Aquanim wrote:Back, for a little while at least.

@Tr1ckster
: Don't get me wrong, I have doubts about the BBT lynch. It's possible that I've misinterpreted his posts and that he's town. I have doubts about *everything*. The difference is the magnitude of my doubts.

I don't think it's implausible that a townie, new or otherwise, would have chosen to back off their scumread of me based on the pressure he received over it. That being said, I would expect a townie to also say "...I still think he's scum but I'm not going to pursue that for now" or "...I no longer think he's quite as scummy" or "oh wait, he's obvtown, whoops" or whatever. Something which indicates he's still thinking about my alignment and has a continuous read on me, as a townie should. Is it possible that a townie would no longer feel comfortable even expressing an opinion about my alignment? Yeah, but I think it's definitely getting into the "unlikely" category.
It's a newbie game, though. If the "unlikely" happens, it's usually in a newbie game. The "unlikely" is more likely to happen here than anywhere else.

Yes, he definitely should have noted your alignment... if he was scum and calculating his moves so he didn't look more scummy. But if he's town and is just trying to stay alive? Then he's not worried at that moment what your alignment is. He knows he's town and staying alive is top priority. Yes, noting your alignment would probably make him look more towny, but he doesn't care how he looks, he just wants to stay alive because he's town and he knows the town WINCON is keep townies alive. He knows there's plenty of time left in D1 to scumhunt after he gets himself out of his predicament, so he goes and does what he does.

I don't know.
I've seen newbies (and not only newbies!) self-vote before. I don't think I've ever seen a townie make a serious selfvote (i.e. not a RVS selfvote, which means very little; I mean a vote with the serious intention of lynching oneself) in cold blood.
Spoiler:
Okay, I've seen townies lynch themselves due to quirky setups which meant it directly played to their wincon. But that doesn't apply here.

The point is don't think I've ever seen a townie make a deliberate, thought-out plan to vote themselves to avoid a lynch. It's either they did it in the spur of the moment, or they're scum. Maybe a townie has done it at some point, but I think the latter two are far more likely. And the whole "constructed" thing makes the spur-of-the-moment hypothesis less likely IMO.
I have. I tried to lynch the guy. But there was someone scummier D1. So I lynched them instead. I was NK'd. Good thing, too. Well. Better that I was NK'd than someone else. I would have lynched the guy immediately. Found out post-game the guy was town all along. I guess that's a major reason I'm super paranoid of a BBT lynch. Because I've tried to lynch someone like him before... and at game end, they were town.

Let me take a break and think about it, ok?

He just reached L-1. There's a new player here who might have things to say. Here them out.

Also give BBT a chance to claim.

I'll review the BBT stuff again.

But you take a look at the Madonna stuff. We'll come to a conclusion and work it out after I've slept on it and reread. And BBT's claimed. And our new member has posted his/her thoughts. Until then, I think a vote for BBT is a scum-claim.
Aquanim
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Aquanim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Post by Aquanim »

While I do want to see BBT lynched at the end of the day, I agree that there's no immediate rush to hammer. We still have some things to sort out today.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 522, Aquanim wrote:While I do want to see BBT lynched at the end of the day, I agree that there's no immediate rush to hammer. We still have some things to sort out today.
One of the things we should sort out? That's an alternate lynch if BBT claims something that makes people not want to lynch him - and then you want time for that lynch to be able to claim also, right? How much time do you think that would take? In a perfect world we would have had the first claim a few days ago.
Knell
Knell
Goon
Knell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Post by Knell »

In post 518, Thor665 wrote:Everything Trickster posts is starting to feel massively fake to me right now. I'm not a fan of it.
Would he be capable of making all of this up though as scum? He feels like he feels he's justified in how he is playing. He seems aware that he gets a lot of attention for his town play and uses it to his advantage by going after those that try to capitalize on his numerous mistakes. I still feel like I'm simplifying my read on him and I've spent by far the most time trying to understand his play. You can actually
see
his self-esteem collapse and inflate from post to post, and I just don't understand it. But I don't think it's scum, though the town slip is still really weird to me and his response to it also weird. Maybe he both half believes his points, but also recognizes that he knows absolutely nothing, so he doesn't believe in what he's saying, but is keeping perfect track of the game and trying to absorb the whole thing. basically, it's in keeping with his devil's advocate conception of himself, in conjunction with his ignorance of the game, in conjunction with his pride in being able to pressure people, in conjunction with his actual stance running around somewhere in that mess? The only exception seems to be Madonna, who he has been consistently pushing for a long time.

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”