Game Information (help wanted)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Game Information (help wanted)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:43 am

Post by mith »

I've started putting together a spreadsheet with basic game information. Eventually, this information will be put on the wiki, with each game having its own page, but I'd like it as a spreadsheet first for other purposes (keeping track of mod experience, for one thing).

I've put a sample of the format I'm using here. I'm going through the archive myself, since there's probably a few bits of information I can get to more easily.

However, if you're interested in helping out, just post here, pick a group of games to run through, and send me the spreadsheet. Much of the information, aside from the dates, can be pulled from the Queue threads pretty easily.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:51 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I've got a crapload of the early C9s done already... will get them to you soonish.
Retired as of October 2014.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

I'm interested in the format at the moment...

Will each game have an unambiguous identifier, so that if two people submit information on the same game, we'll notice?

The "Result" field seems sometimes to be a noun phrase and sometimes to be a statement. For instance there is both "Town win" and "Vampires win."

What format do you like if more than one party won?
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:36 am

Post by mith »

All of the non-large-themes already have unambiguous identifiers. I'm going to number the themes by date (and perhaps also give every game on the site a number by date, if that would be useful in the future). Is that what you mean?

Re: Result - That's just me being inconsistent. Probably because "Mafia win" could mean either. Let's go with the noun phrases.

Doesn't matter that much, as long as it's unambiguous. My sample MeMeMeet Mafia wiki page has "Concerned Parent Mafia + Atticus win".

The exact formatting doesn't matter to me nearly as much as having all the information there in a form that's easy to change to a uniform format. If someone uses "Townie win" consistently, it'd take about 5 seconds for me to convert that to "Town win", for example. I'll give some more thought on this though. Things get a little complicated with the Mod entries at some point (with co-mods and replacements much more common), and my archive example didn't have to deal with that much.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:26 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

mith wrote:All of the non-large-themes already have unambiguous identifiers. I'm going to number the themes by date (and perhaps also give every game on the site a number by date, if that would be useful in the future). Is that what you mean?
I think that would do the trick. My main thought is, what if I just started doing some random selection of games, and sent it in. It would be bad if I duplicated someone else's efforts and this couldn't even be detected.
Re: Result - That's just me being inconsistent. Probably because "Mafia win" could mean either. Let's go with the noun phrases.

Doesn't matter that much, as long as it's unambiguous. My sample MeMeMeet Mafia wiki page has "Concerned Parent Mafia + Atticus win".
Personally I would prefer to know what Atticus' role was. For example I had a game where chamber won separately as a lyncher. Wouldn't "Town + Lyncher win" be more pleasing?
The exact formatting doesn't matter to me nearly as much as having all the information there in a form that's easy to change to a uniform format. If someone uses "Townie win" consistently, it'd take about 5 seconds for me to convert that to "Town win", for example. I'll give some more thought on this though. Things get a little complicated with the Mod entries at some point (with co-mods and replacements much more common), and my archive example didn't have to deal with that much.
Maybe a simple list of all primary mods would do (leave out backup mods, maybe list comods).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:21 am

Post by mith »

I think that would do the trick. My main thought is, what if I just started doing some random selection of games, and sent it in. It would be bad if I duplicated someone else's efforts and this couldn't even be detected.
Oh, everyone can list what they're doing/have done here. Or I'll put a list up as people do things. Either way.
Personally I would prefer to know what Atticus' role was. For example I had a game where chamber won separately as a lyncher. Wouldn't "Town + Lyncher win" be more pleasing?
Sure, but in this case, Atticus's win didn't have anything to do with his role; it was a separate win condition based on points. (This will be included in the game information on the wiki, once that's fleshed out.)
Maybe a simple list of all primary mods would do (leave out backup mods, maybe list comods).
Agreed on the backup mods, unless the backup mod steps in. I'd like to know when mods abandoned or otherwise had to be replaced, for mod requirement reasons. Not sure how to handle comods yet.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:21 pm

Post by GreenLiquid »

This seems somewhat familiar to what I suggested here, but maybe on an easier to do format.

I think that once this list is complete, we could feasably make actual wiki pages (maybe with special headers on the top-left like in wikipedia) that list full information, quirks or memorable moments, and perhaps area for players or spectators to comment (after the game's done, obv). First though, getting a dedicated wiki team would be in order.
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:47 am

Post by mith »

Spreadsheet updated. I think I've got all of the archive stuff done now, though there's probably a few more pieces of information to be found somewhere.
GreenLiquid
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
GreenLiquid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:55 am

Post by GreenLiquid »

What is the link/url to get to the archive?
Avatar courtesy of Chickadee! | GTKAL
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Retired as of October 2014.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:53 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

I don't mind helping. But I need someone patient to explain exactly what it is i have to do.
Blank.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:12 am

Post by mith »

I need to get back on this. I've just realized we've got to be nearing our 1000th game started.
spectrumvoid
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
spectrumvoid
Problem Child
Problem Child

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:49 am

Post by spectrumvoid »

I still don't mind helping :)
Blank.
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:08 am

Post by IH »

Alright, so this is pretty much... archiving the types of games, the name of it, the mod, the winning team, and the dates? I'll do a few.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Post by bigAl »

I'd be interested to help.

Someone probably need to organise this on how to divide it up; eg. I take little Italy games 1-50, someone else takes games 51-100, someone else takes coney island games 1-50, etc.

I keep an excel file about all the games that I've been in (including who was on my team, who wasn't and what all the roles were...).
Come play Metroplexity! Come play Unangband!
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:50 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Have we got a standard format for this? And if so, is it recorded somewhere convenient? A blank page to fill in would be useful.

(And
vote: mith
in accordance with the prophecy.)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:05 am

Post by mith »

There's a link in the first post with the format I used for the archive. Probably the only piece of information that's not there that would be very useful for this particular phase of the project would be a topic number (for example, 4721 for this thread); I didn't do those for the archive given that they will be moved around eventually. And some point, we'll want player info, choices, vote counts, that sort of thing, any info we can get to put in the wiki, but for now my main objectives with this is an accurate count of games and a list for mod experience.

If you want to help with this, just pick a range of games, post that you're going to work on that range in this thread (so we don't repeat any work), open up a spreadsheet, and then go through those games putting in the information.
al_kohaulec
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
al_kohaulec
Tricksy
Tricksy

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Post by al_kohaulec »

I might be able to help with this. I'm pretty busy these next two and a half weeks, but I'm sure there'll still be more to be done after than, and I can probably look more into this then.
AIM account: DolusDeceit [s]not al_kohaulec[/s]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:32 am

Post by mith »

It occurred to me (messing around with Stoofer's 2nd Law data) that I could just pull some of this information directly from the database... thread ID, thread title, topic starter (which will almost always be the mod), start time (though that would need to be converted to something usable)... I'll stick that stuff in a spreadsheet and put it up (this afternoon, if I have time), and that will give us something to start with on filling in the rest.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:09 am

Post by mith »

Ok, I've gone ahead and done this. Here's the Spreadsheet.

There are two blank columns. The first is "GAME RESULT". If the game is still running, put "In Progress". If the game was abandoned, put "Abandoned (comment)", replacing comment with a reason for the abandonment. If the game finished, give the final result (who won, or tied).

The second column is "MOD INFO". If the thread starter is the Mod, and saw the game to completion, leave this blank. If the thread starter isn't the Mod (I don't know where this would be the case, but anyway...), put the Mod's name in (). If the Mod had to be replaced, put "Replaced by _____".

Some of the threads are duplicates, a couple aren't game threads at all, and some games take up more than one thread; I'll clean that up at some point, but for now put the above info in the row for the main thread, and ignore the others.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:31 am

Post by mith »

Just wanted to make a note to myself that this thread exists.

I'm going to work on the Opens and New York games later today, if I have time.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:49 am

Post by mith »

Running out of time and energy, but I've done through Mafia 20 in New York.
LyingBrian
LyingBrian
Does not play well with others
LyingBrian

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2007 10:34 pm

Post by LyingBrian »

this link doesn't work anymore... :(

Return to “Mafia Discussion”