A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Throne Books. Spoilers)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by zoraster »

also, the new brienn hound fight may have been more fun than the one i had been looking forward to all season.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Post by Oversoul »

In A Storm of Swords (page 249 in my book), this old dwarf crone on High Heart has three dreams. One about a shadow with a burning heart killing a stag (Renly), one about a man without a face and his drowned crow, and one about a dead fish lady (Catelyn). What is the second dream about? A Greyjoy right, so "Reek"?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I would guess the second one was about the Faceless Man who killed Balon Greyjoy.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Post by Aegor »

Yep.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:50 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Season 5 cast additions announced!

I'm torn. The ones they've announced (Siddig! Pryce! Castle-Hughes!) are all fantastic and I'm really excited to see them ... but, if as looks increasingly likely, season 5 is going to be a version of the story with no Arianne and no Greyjoy uncles, I feel more and more like I want to get GRRM's full vision first. But... but...
#greenshirtthursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:06 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

green shirt thursdays
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Post by Seacore »

Oh my god Pryce! Yes!
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I'm super bummed about the apparent decision to axe Arianne.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I suspect the Greyjoy stuff will just come up in a separate announcement, though? Unless you think they're saving that for Season 6.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I mean, why exactly did we need Areo? :/
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Post by Seacore »

That looks a lot like the cast from Feast, rather than a cast from Dance. So maybe we will see more Greyjoys in Season 6, after Dorne fades a little from relevancy. I thought they'd probably combine them and do a more chronological approach, but that's a massive cast to fit into 10 episodes.

I think Arianne was simply a vehicle in the books for us to understand Doran's rage and the Dorne loyalty. She may not have a further purpose and thus could be left out of the show.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Post by Iecerint »

We already know she has at least one chapter in Winds of Winter.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I also like her as a way to emphasize the gender-neutral inheritance tradition without having to talk about it explicitly.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Post by Seacore »

But they'd need to talk about it explicitly anyway.

I'm not saying she's not important to the book, but looking at the characters and arcs that have been left out so far, I'm not shocked by her absence.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Post by AniX »

The big thing I see of her exclusion is it severely challenges the notion that Dorne will join with Young Griff.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Post by Iecerint »

To be honest, it kind of does fit a pattern of problematic depictions of women on the show (cf., season 4 rape controversy).
Last edited by Iecerint on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seacore
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Seacore
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Post by Seacore »

There are differences between problematic depictions of women, which shows to a large degree that the 'setting' is not very friendly to women, and the show hating women by leaving out or reducing strong roles for them, ie Stoneheart and Arianne.

There's an argument to be made about why the setting hates women, and on one side it's the brutal and patriarchal times and culture, but on the other hand there's still a writer at the other end of it.
As for the roles for women, you could argue that both Gilly and Ygritte got much more screen time than the book demanded.

Also, I wouldn't be that surprised if there is no Young Griff in the show.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Post by quadz08 »

That would be quite the departure.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Post by Aegor »

People complain about everything. Why watch the show if one is so angry? Those going in with any specific expectations were just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Get the eff over it.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Post by AniX »

People complain about everything. Why post in a thread about the discussion of the book-to-show adaptation if one is so angry? Those going in with any specific limitations on what people will post were just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Get the eff over it.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:34 pm

Post by Tierce »

How
dare
people complain about legitimate issues of representation in material they love. How dare they intrude in the enjoyment of people who never have to worry about being able to relate to characters in the books/movies/TV series they like. Must be a terrible burden that is being imposed on those who would otherwise not give a fuck, being
forced
to read about issues of representation and diversity on the internet.

Exodus: Gods and Kings
's cast is not problematic either, without a doubt, why are people complaining about it!

Radical thought: it's possible to like something and also have issues with some aspects of the work/author/creator and
point them out

...Naaaah. Better to gobble it up and just 'deal' with whitewashing and off-story sexism in silence, because that's what good mindless fans do. Better to never make public that you're uncomfortable with it, because
how dare you be uncomfortable just deal with it
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:29 am

Post by quadz08 »

*shruggles* I will withhold judgement until I actually watch the damn thing
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 741, Iecerint wrote:To be honest, it kind of does fit a pattern of problematic depictions of women on the show (cf., season 4 rape controversy).

In post 742, Seacore wrote:There are differences between problematic depictions of women, which shows to a large degree that the 'setting' is not very friendly to women, and the show hating women by leaving out or reducing strong roles for them, ie Stoneheart and Arianne.

There's an argument to be made about why the setting hates women, and on one side it's the brutal and patriarchal times and culture, but on the other hand there's still a writer at the other end of it.
As for the roles for women, you could argue that both Gilly and Ygritte got much more screen time than the book demanded.

Also, I wouldn't be that surprised if there is no Young Griff in the show.

I think that article is frankly ridiculous. Omitting a character does not mean the show hates women. There are many strong women characters in the show despite the brutal patriarchal setting (Dany, Cersei, Brienne, Yara/Asha, Arya, Sansa, Catelyn, Margaery, Melisandre, etc) and a host of other minor female characters that are/were depicted strongly. Omitting a female character does not mean the show hates women and seek to minimize their role in the show. In many ways, it is the women of westeros that drive the whole story, and the show writers seem fully aware of that with their execution of the material. This is really a non-issue.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:57 am

Post by Tierce »

Rhinox: why is your focus immediately on the "Game of Thrones hates women" line instead of on the fact that
Arianne is an important element that shows that Dorne does not follow the same patriarchal notions that the rest of Westeros does
? A woman who enjoys sexual freedom and is going to inherit Dorne in her own name is important. (For the most part; there's still a lot of bullshit, but a lot
less
than in the other kingdoms.)

It's a bit difficult to read deeper into the article when you can just gloss over it thanks to a sensationalist opening statement. Okay, so let's dive into your other point.

"The show already has strong female characters." True, it does. But that's not an excuse, because it shouldn't be a selling point to have strong female characters in your show. They're there. In the books and everywhere. Yeah, it's nice to see them, but the show doesn't get brownie points for one, being true to the source material, and two, treating women like people who exist and make up half of the population. Because if you're that reasoning as a counterpoint to the article, I can also point out that GoT has a lot of pointless
female
eye candy.
The show just so happened to remove one female character with true independence
and
make the Sand Snakes all look similar (because ~reasons~, I imagine; that's a whole different gripe). As far as we know, either way--I still hold out hope against hope that they will include Arianne, the Targaryen motto scene isn't the same thing if said to one of the Martell boys.

You saying that it "is really a non-issue" when it's a matter that clearly doesn't bother you but rightfully bothers others... ehhh. Perhaps you should ignore the sensationalism and try to understand why it bothers some fans before shrugging it off. It might not bother you, but it's not a non-issue that a vital female character (and yes, there's a lot of importance on the fact that she is a woman) may have been pulled. Nobody is griping about the littlest Sand Snakes and I don't give a damn about Margaery's cousins or Taena Merryweather (though it would be nice to have a WoC, if I remember Taena correctly). Arianne
is
important and her potential absence is bothersome because it silences what little there is about society-supported gender freedom in Westeros.

I didn't even much like her chapters outside the stuff with Doran, goddammit. But I want my Dornish princess.

Return to “General Discussion”