The IC and SE System

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:54 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 48, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 44, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:A player who has only played 2 newbies and a micro should not really be eligible to be an SE either.

But SE just means "experienced", not "better". It's like you leveling up in mobile game for finishing a tutorial. You get the hang of the game but you still might not know how to play the game well.

This is not very obvious to new members.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:01 am

Post by FakeGod »

We should get rid of the IC/SE system, and just have the listmod holistically mix in newbies with experienced players.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.

Send me a PM if you want to replace in!
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:06 am

Post by Iecerint »

I think a benefit of SEs is that if you have an "official responsibility"-type slot, you are probably less likely to flake out of the game, and Newbie games have really outrageous replacement rates due to the number of players who aren't yet really invested in the site.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:09 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

I am outraged at the number of times I've had problems with SEs/ICs flaking instead of the newbies..... :igmeou:
Art is cool.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 am

Post by FakeGod »

Well, based on what ETL is saying, it sounds like being an SE/IC doesn't reduce your likelihood of replacing out.

EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:21 am

Because 1) they aren't being groomed properly and 2) they are still too new to understand what their responsibility is.
Art is cool.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 am

Post by FakeGod »

Therefore, we should get rid of the IC/SE system, and just have the listmod holistically mix in newbies with experienced players.

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:09 am

Post by Iecerint »

Replacing out as an IC or SE should result in a ban from mafia games for 2 weeks (or whatever the community decides is a suitable amount of time).

If your replace-out reasons are legitimate, you probably need time off, anyway, so I don't think this would punish legitimate cases particularly unfairly.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:02 am

In post 57, Iecerint wrote:Replacing out as an IC or SE should result in a ban from mafia games for 2 weeks (or whatever the community decides is a suitable amount of time).

If your replace-out reasons are legitimate, you probably need time off, anyway, so I don't think this would punish legitimate cases particularly unfairly.

Yes. Agreed. Thank you.
Art is cool.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 58, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 57, Iecerint wrote:Replacing out as an IC or SE should result in a ban from mafia games for 2 weeks (or whatever the community decides is a suitable amount of time).

Yes. Agreed. Thank you.

I disagree, but only because I find "SE" a somewhat laughable role and agree with the people who have noted that it seems a questionable distinction and not really having much point - just allow people to play in Newbies if they wish; done.
I would agree with it as far as IC goes - there is a certain core amount of responsibility that I think an IC accepts, and not replacing out barring extenuating circumstances is assuredly one of them.

I think the "coach" idea is amusing, and would probably do it, and suspect we could staff that position. That said - it would be a delicate line to walk regardless, as the coach would still need to simply answer Mafia theory questions...and, meh, isn't that what the Wiki and MD are for? There is some sort of line in there as far as being 'in the game' and I agree with the people noting the possible pratfalls for the Mod doing it as well. I will admit that I usually end up fielding only a handful of legit theory questions most of the time also - usually what people ask are 'what should we do in this specific situation' which is, by definition, a subjective as opposed to objective call most of the time. Most of the rest are "how do I multi-quote" or "what's OMGUS" type stuff which, at the end of the day, could be answered via links.

I am very much a proponent that the real idea behind an IC is just sort of 'playing the game'. As creative as I get, usually, is simply asking variations of 'why do you think that?' to Newbies just to try to kickstart braincells (with the amusing result of some people loving my IC style and others thinking I'm a dick who is judging them).

I actually think the thing I do most as an IC that gets the most happiness out of players is simply assessing them in post game with a few thoughts of what they did right, what they did poorly, and a thought or two on ways to overcome my perceptions of any weak spots. Functionally you don't even need to be in the game for that, you just need volunteers who could read the game and post the critique.

I do not support the idea of combining Normal and Newbie queue - mostly because Newbie queue *does* defend the site from the players who come in and then realize they loathe the game. I do like the ability to feel moderately safe from that issue in non-Newbie queues. I do agree with the core concept of the idea that the way to really "teach" Mafia is simply to get people to play Mafia, and do not oppose having more varied games in the mix. But I do think a testing ground area is very beneficial to the game quality of the site. To answer Mina's original core questions;

1. Yes, though I think the SE aspect is superfluous.
2. I would tend to drop SEs, but not to limit the queue to Newbie only options. People should be allowed to play a lot of Matrix 6 if they wish, and also to keep playing Newbies till they feel comfortable with themselves enough to head out into the rest of the site.
3. I see no issue with the current requirements for IC status, I would suggest they are comfortably loose and open to interpretation, and I think there's actuall an odd mystique about the job that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 45, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:I would also like newbies to be restricted to the newbie queue for their first two games, but this is my own frustration with seeing newbies replace into 100-page large games and flounder around and do nothing.

I do that as a non-newbie, how are you going to stop me.

Also interesting in Reck's list the Town ICs either died night 1 or survived at endgame (won/died via endgame)
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Post by Iecerint »

Removing SEs would be like removing interrupts from MtG. :cry:
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Post by quadz08 »

In post 59, Thor665 wrote:I do not support the idea of combining Normal and Newbie queue - mostly because Newbie queue *does* defend the site from the players who come in and then realize they loathe the game.

this is an important point which I agree with
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 59, Thor665 wrote:
In post 58, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:

Yes. Agreed. Thank you.

I disagree, but only because I find "SE" a somewhat laughable role and agree with the people who have noted that it seems a questionable distinction and not really having much point - just allow people to play in Newbies if they wish; done.
I would agree with it as far as IC goes - there is a certain core amount of responsibility that I think an IC accepts, and not replacing out barring extenuating circumstances is assuredly one of them.

As far as I remember, the only real reason for SEs is more or less to sanction experienced players playing in the game while still having it be a newbie game for the most part. I have no idea how or where the perception came from that they should actually be expected to do anything more.
sthar8
sthar8
Mafia Scum
sthar8
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Post by sthar8 »

Because any member of the site with two brain cells to rub together should understand the importance of setting an example with their play of how not to be lazy, selfish, and damaging to the integrity of their game.

I strongly support restrictions for people who practice game-ruining behaviors.

Also, newbie games are a great place for first time mods
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In post 64, sthar8 wrote:

Also, newbie games are a great place for first time mods

no
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Post by N »

I used to think first time mods would be good for newbie games, then I became listmod in charge of first time mods!
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Post by Marquis »

let's just add an innocent child to the setup and make the IC always an IC
link in bio
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Post by Marquis »

realtalk though i agree more with a system similar to what fg's suggesting - plus i think a higher experienced:new ratio might be better for players to get a sense of the ms community and site meta/play trends
link in bio
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Post by N »

Yeah! fg used the word "holistically" so you know it must be good for you!
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Post by Marquis »

for sure

i just think experience distribution in newbie games needs to skew more towards experienced

i also want to think opens and normals should be at the very least be advertised more than newbie games to those already with offsite experience and/or integrate matrix6 into open/normal with special newbie distinctions for those games so as to promote the use of those queues but i dislike thinking of myself as any kind of radical so!
link in bio
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Post by Marquis »

hm

or maybe i've just been having bad biased thoughts about small games and small playerlist focus-pressures lately and like, idk, just the idea of ~13p over 9p games being advertised as newbie games is really attractive? but then major speed issues and

yeah feel free to strike the comments from the record i may or may not be back when i can think clearly
link in bio
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 am

Post by Jackal711 »

I don't think the "SE" designation really means much anymore. While there is an experience requirement (sort of), it's easy to get the required 3 completed games simply by doing the bare minimum to not be replaced and get lynched day 1.

And (YMMV) personally over my history of modding Newbies (14 completed newbie games as Mod over the past 3 years) I've had to replace SEs a lot more frequently than newbie slots.

The IC slot as a teaching role makes sense, and should be preserved. Though I support the idea raised earlier about having a review group for approving new ICs.

What I would suggest:
Keep 1 IC per game, as it is now. (Optionally, raise it to two. Although that might cause problems with the recent lack of ICs)
Reserve 3 or 4 player slots for true site newbies (those without a completed game on site)
Fill the other slots with anyone in the player queue.

I would also recommend raising the experience requirement to 2 completed modded games to become a Newbie game mod. But that's a separate discussion outside the scope of this thread.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 am

Post by FakeGod »

holistically is an awesome word

Klingoncelt
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Post by Klingoncelt »

In post 45, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:I would also like newbies to be restricted to the newbie queue for their first two games, but this is my own frustration with seeing newbies replace into 100-page large games and flounder around and do nothing.

I wouldn't restrict them to the Newbie games, but I would restrict them from joining large games until they've played two or three 9-13p games.
Klingoncelt: "The whole scumteam slipped on page 1. It's the new meta. Sheep me because my reads are so accurate that whoever I name gets mod-converted to scum."
-
MiniDeathStar

Return to “Mafia Discussion”