League of Legends (Old)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #40800 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Post by Oman »

In post 40799, JasonWazza wrote:VIDEO GAMES ARE SEXIST, RACIST, ETC. NO ONE REALLY GIVES THIS MUCH OF A FUCK.

It's about ethics in video game journalism.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40801 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Post by JasonWazza »

The problem being that people kick up a stink over it, fact is sex sells (hence the body images, and it does work) and does it really matter so much that their isn't culturally diverse skin colors in a game that is set IN A DIFFERENT FUCKING REALM.

If this was set on earth and in our culture, then maybe this argument would have a point, as it stands, it really holds nothing.

Fact is riot have creative freedom to make their champions look how they please, is it sexist? yeah probably, but honestly hyper sexualisation sells, is it ethical? tell me why it's wrong, because it's really not, if you have a problem with that, then why buy products that are sexualized? (seriously good luck with that one, most products have a decent amount of sexism in their products.)

This goes into another argument that has been had, the whole GTAV argument of the cops are racist, when they are racially accurate to real life.

Why is it that games are held to a massive ass statement of bullshit equality, yet no where else is held to such scrutiny?
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40802 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:49 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 40801, JasonWazza wrote:Why is it that games are held to a massive ass statement of bullshit equality, yet no where else is held to such scrutiny?

except for all the scrutiny that is constantly held up to movies and television, the other primarily visual cultural medium?

except for all the scrutiny that is constantly held up to real life?

to say "NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THIS" while a whole threadful of people have clearly been giving a shit about it is disingenuous at best.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40803 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:50 am

Post by quadz08 »

also, what oman referenced
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40804 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:52 am

Post by mykonian »

idk for others, but it's also what it implies. I play games, I'm not too old, (I'm a guy), I'm squarely in riots target audience.

Apparently what they (and their whole marketing division) think sells to me is a near all white game where girls are mostly hot and fragile, men are clever or strong and wielding huge weapons.

Do I really want to accept that I'm characterised as being so shallow?
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
theelkspeaks
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
theelkspeaks
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #40805 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:14 am

Post by theelkspeaks »

Except we do give a fuck because representation really matters in the quality of life for members of various groups, a fact which has been documented in study after study.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #40806 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:49 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 40799, JasonWazza wrote:Can we just stop this and realize one thing

VIDEO GAMES ARE SEXIST, RACIST, ETC. NO ONE REALLY GIVES THIS MUCH OF A FUCK.

No?

Why is it that games are held to a massive ass statement of bullshit equality, yet no where else is held to such scrutiny?

Movies and TV shows are frequently subjected to the same scrutiny. Books for that matter too.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #40807 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:58 am

Post by Oman »

Also there's the bigger problem: If sex sells, if white homogeneity sells, that is because we've been conditioned towards those things being "the ideal". The solution is not to say "Man, that fucking sucks. Oh well, let's keep doing it because it sells."

This kind of cultural sustainability is the hard road, but in the long run it's required! Social change CAN happen through our video games, our music, and our movies/TV. It can happen if the producers of that content make that cultural change one of their priorities.

It's a fucking circle: We're told white, and sexy is the ideal. We idealise white and sexy. We buy content that displays white and sexy. White and sexy content floods the market. All our heroes and their love interests are white and sexy, so we take white and sexy to be the ideal. Loop continues.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #40808 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:28 am

Post by GreyICE »

The fact Jason types "sex sells" when the flavor of sex being sold is directly targeting heterosexual guys using conventionally attractive women wearing absurd outfits really says it all.

There's a default assumed there.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40809 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Iecerint »

In post 40800, Oman wrote:
In post 40799, JasonWazza wrote:VIDEO GAMES ARE SEXIST, RACIST, ETC. NO ONE REALLY GIVES THIS MUCH OF A FUCK.

quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40810 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:06 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 40808, GreyICE wrote:The fact Jason types "sex sells" when the flavor of sex being sold is directly targeting heterosexual guys using conventionally attractive women wearing absurd outfits really says it all.

There's a default assumed there.

ooh that too good call
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #40811 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:25 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 40792, mykonian wrote:Now, comparing. I have had one game where I hit 1.38 wards per min and that was really an outlier (long game as well, on soraka so really nothing better to do). More usual when I'm trying, 1/min. Less even when I'm not focussed on playing. Mata hit an average over those worlds group phase games of 1.78 wards per min. That's excluding the pinks, of which he got 3 down every 8 minutes. The pinks I figured out by now. You use them as portable instant sweepers and you get closer to those kind of numbers. But even, then, so many wards... I don't know how to do that.

I'm not certain about this but I think the "next level" after keeping sightstone on high uptime is recognizing when your oldest ward is no longer relevant and replacing it. I have a pretty good ward score but I almost never expire wards and that's probably where I could improve.

Also, to an extent, pros will have higher ward scores just by virtue of environment. They're having a lot more of their wards destroyed than you are. Also, paradoxically, having teammates ward less should actually put a bit of a softcap on your ward score. It's quicker to just ward what's right next to you than what's the most important to ward - you're going to put down a few more wards if you can just cover where you are now, instead of needing to hang on to a ward allotment to hit what really matters. This doesn't excuse a BAD ward score, of course, but it means that you shouldn't stress so much on hitting pro levels - your warding levels are pretty much what they should be, I think, since you're in a climate that destroys wards much less and requires quality placement over spam.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40812 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

Post by mykonian »

Good points were made.

so next level is destroying more of my opponents wards!
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40813 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:19 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40814 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:19 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Also, is it bad to say Luden's Echo is a mage's Stattik Shiv?
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #40815 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

... this was a match

WHY DO YOU DISCONNECT WHEN YOU HAVE A FED AS FUCK KASADIN ON YOUR TEAM. WHYYYYY. This game is just intent on having me lose whenever possible. I need help..
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40816 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:40 am

Post by Knight of Cydonia »

In post 40800, Oman wrote:

LAMO ANYONE ELSE THINK GAMERGATE STILL HILARIOUS OH THOSE MISOGYNIST TROLLS LAMO
I get that it's cool to shit on Gamergate to prove how progressive and feminist you are but if we judged every movement by it's fringe shitters you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't look like a giant floating douchecanoe on the shitriver that is the internet [/offtopic]

Did my placements starting cold after not playing for like 8 months, managed Gold IV which is just good enough to make me not give a fuck again for another 6 months and rest easy knowing if I didn't have an actual job unlike 95% of the people who play this game I'd be actually decent and not just MS decent
Last edited by Knight of Cydonia on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #40817 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Post by PJ. »

My alt account is it's gold series after abotu 150 games of nincompoopery.

In post 40816, Knight of Cydonia wrote:Did my placements starting cold after not playing for like 8 months, managed Gold IV which is just good enough to make me not give a fuck again for another 6 months and rest easy knowing if I didn't have an actual job like 95% of the people who play this game I'd be actually decent and not just MS decent

This is basically how I felt when I got gold in 25 games. I can retire from giving a fuck and just play for funsies.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40818 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:46 am

Post by mykonian »

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... ?tab=stats

Felt like one of my better mummy games... and yet, halfway the game, seemed like it became impossible to win. I am so, very, sad.

people. got. caught. IDGI.
JasonWazza
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
JasonWazza
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40819 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:09 am

Post by JasonWazza »

It's not just people getting caught, it's the fact that your clock for winning the game ran out.

Let me point out the comps a little.

Your team:
1 Tank
2 AP mid's
1 ADC
1 Support tank

Their team:
1 AP/Tank (cho)
1 AD/Tank (Vi)
2 ADC's
1 Support Healer.

Meaning if they can get on Ez, they win with MR, not only this, but 2 ADC comps have great sustained damage, so if you guys couldn't close a fight within a few seconds (or at least remove them both) you's had actually lost that fight, not to mention soraka just makes this problem 10 fold.

Not to mention their front line outclasses yours by far (especially considering you had no damage.)
Returning win rate: 4/1, 80%
In the process of creating a game to mod, we will see what it holds.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40820 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:33 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 40819, JasonWazza wrote:Meaning if they can get on Ez, they win with MR, not only this, but 2 ADC comps have great sustained damage, so if you guys couldn't close a fight within a few seconds (or at least remove them both) you's had actually lost that fight, not to mention soraka just makes this problem 10 fold.

Very right. This is why annie became fed as god, she already countered their comp with her burst and lockdown on their carries+sor, same for diana.

Double ad doesn't make for a great teamfight comp, they don't bring as much aoe or cc as an AP mid (which annie showed). ADC's scale, double ad comps don't, they are solid midgame comps, winning off their quicker tower taking which they can snowball. In teamfights they notice they lack cc and aoe ,which they paid for their increased single target damage a second adc gives. Corki ameliorates, but he's still no ap mid.

And even then, after taking baron and taking down the first inhib soon after, there's no excuse. But diana made a call, ez went "you don't tell me what to do" and it went downhill from there. Most fights after that we lost while having a ward advantage in the area, rarely got a "fair" fight, even numbers.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #40821 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:18 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

ez had a lot of problems that game. Both his four (!!!!!) wards and his build. Really Ez is the wrong AD to take in general with Annie/Diana, but if you're gonna do it, you should build him like a normal IE nerd because the hybrid poke is actually what you don't want you're already AP as balls.

That being said the fact that Ez is MOST at fault doesn't mean there's nothing to learn. So some thoughts. I think captain boots would help a lot more than disto. And while "mostly tank, a little magic damage" is good mummy equilibrium, sorc isn't where I'd go for that little AP. You know they're gonna get LW's and their cc is trash, so do tabi and drop the GA for Liandry's. Still get Magipen, but now you get tabi passive and more HP for cinderhulk, at the cost of armor that's getting whisper cleaved and MR you're not using.

Really I think you should never get GA on cinderhulk users; too many good armor/MR items that give HP.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40822 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 am

Post by mykonian »

I personally like distortion (just the flash ult, really). Captain is something I rarely get on offensive champs, feels much more effective going out of fights. So on backline supports that has my preference.

Sorcs is indeed a guilty pleasure. If I'm a better player I just buy mobi's there. It's just that pen kind of nice with mummy when dueling but yes, that's bad.

You can see where I bought the GA, we had one good fight ahead of us at that point, which imo would decided the winner, so I bought into my pink ward slot there. I don't think you can beat GA for that situation.

Obviously there were a ton of things that could have gone better. Stupid simple things, failed my jungle route because I didn't deal with the lack of pull properly, twice telegraphed a move on their wraiths too much and once of those didn't register that annie was too low to come in as a safeguard, once stole dragon and initiated a fight that way when annie was on her way, the smite steal wasn't worth the effect, could just have waited for them to get then take the fight after. Didn't call off the second baron when it was started too early. And regardless, it wasn't "just ez". His obstinancy was shortlive, but started a whole series of events, it was the characters in the team as a whole that only could work together with each other for 30 minutes, apparently. It wasn't one player, it was everybody. You don't end up in a 3-2 split between lanes when baron is clear, mid inhib is down and top jungle is warded if you are of one mind.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #40823 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:52 am

Post by PJ. »

Man, why does someone that is so wrong act so condescending?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #40824 (ISO) » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:56 am

Post by mykonian »

I didn't try to act condescending, I'm sorry if it came over that way :(

Return to “The Arcade”