New Normal Guidelines - April 2017 update!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Compared to the other investigative roles in the normal list, it's quite strong, perhaps trumped only by the cop.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Post by GreyICE »

You mean in the neutered list of investigative roles it's okay?

Weak Neigborizor blows it out of the water. So does Jail keeper or roleblocker. So does Gunsmith. I'd estimate it as around the same strength as a 1-shot cop, and much weaker than a 2-shot cop. Would you put a godfather in a game with a 1-shot cop?
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 126, GreyICE wrote:You mean in the neutered list of investigative roles it's okay?

What do you mean the "neutered" list?

In post 126, GreyICE wrote:Weak Neigborizor blows it out of the water. So does Jail keeper or roleblocker. So does Gunsmith. I'd estimate it as around the same strength as a 1-shot cop, and much weaker than a 2-shot cop.

I'll admit that I'm unfamiliar with the weak neighborizer—you have to remember that I'm old school here. (I do think it would single-handedly break the setup, though.) As for jailkeeper or roleblocker, those aren't traditionally thought of blocking roles, not investigative roles, and the possibilities with false negatives with gunsmith would make me argue that it and tracker are about the same strength.

In post 126, GreyICE wrote:Would you put a godfather in a game with a 1-shot cop?

I never made an argument about balance. My argument was about normalcy. That said, I don't exactly see what the problem here is that you're trying to present. I'd put godfather and cop together; why would limiting the cop create a balance problem (assuming all other roles are vanilla)?

GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Post by GreyICE »

The normal roles are lacking many strong investigative roles - Hider, Goon cop, publishing cop, elite bodyguard (okay not investigative role, but hey dead scum), you get the idea.

In post 126, GreyICE wrote:Weak Neigborizor blows it out of the water. So does Jail keeper or roleblocker. So does Gunsmith. I'd estimate it as around the same strength as a 1-shot cop, and much weaker than a 2-shot cop.

I'll admit that I'm unfamiliar with the weak neighborizer—you have to remember that I'm old school here. (I do think it would single-handedly break the setup, though.) As for jailkeeper or roleblocker, those aren't traditionally thought of blocking roles, not investigative roles, and the possibilities with false negatives with gunsmith would make me argue that it and tracker are about the same strength.

Weak Neighborizer is a Neighborizer that dies if they target scum. Aka Mason Recruiter, with standardized language.

If you think Tracker is both good and an investigative role, you must admit that Roleblocker and Jailkeeper are better. Obviously if a tracker and a roleblocker target the scum committing the nightkill, the tracker gets slightly more information, but the roleblocker/jailkeeper just plain stops the kill. Therefore they are equal information roles to the tracker, but with a doctor component the tracker lacks.

Frankly, unless you have the sort of role madness game where everyone has a PR (admittedly potentially what you're more used to), Trackers mostly get no result whatsoever. There may be 2-3 roles in the game tops that give a tracker result. Even if a tracker targets scum, they have a 1/3 or 1/2 chance of seeing the scum commit the night kill most often. Trackers rise in utility outside the normal queue (just as town roleblockers plummet) but the fact is they are weak and situational.

Ninjas are a crap attempt to balance a role that isn't actually strong in the first place.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 2:33 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Weak Neighbourizer is a very strong investigative role. I've placed it in a Normal before now, and the rest of the setup had to be designed around it. It's still less powerful than an unlimited-shot Cop, but not by much.

However, I'm glad that both strong and weak investigative roles exist. Sometimes your setup wants something powerful to balance around; other times, it wants something like Tracker that just gives the town an edge. (And Tracker is one of the weaker investigative roles around, although it's still strong enough to make a noticeable difference to the balance of a setup, unlike something very week like Voyeur.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 120, BROseidon wrote:Also we should really denormalize godfather and ninja because those should eventually be classified as bastard.

I've never understood this argument and always felt that calling godfathers and ninjas "bastard" is to extend the bastard description so far as to render it completely meaningless.

Same with cop sanities.

Without these counters, cops are so powerful that no half-decent mod would ever include a cop of any manner. It's basically an "I Win" button for town.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 2:56 am

1-Shot Cop is a perfectly fine role that can be used in a variety of setups without balancing around it.

It's the unlimited version that causes problems, and even then it can be balanced, e.g. Cop + 6 VT vs. 2 Goon is reasonably balanced (possibly a little townsided, but not much). However it tends to be somewhat swingy (like that setup is).
scum
town
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 8:18 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 128, GreyICE wrote:If you think Tracker is both good and an investigative role, you must admit that Roleblocker and Jailkeeper are better.

I'll concede that.

In post 130, kuribo wrote:I've never understood this argument and always felt that calling godfathers and ninjas "bastard" is to extend the bastard description so far as to render it completely meaningless.

Same with cop sanities.

I agree with the argument that calling godfathers and ninjas bastard waters down the term "bastard," but to the point that it's meaningless, I'm not 100% sure I agree. I do think it's an attempt to shift the meaning to "roles that screw up other roles", in which case you can probably argue that
EVERY
power role would be bastard in some way.

mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 119, BROseidon wrote:Wait, duplicate roles can be normal?
Can and has been for many instances.

It's the fault of the players if they assume otherwise.

While it's a pretty safe bet you're not going to have five investigative roles in a Normal, having two trackers for instance is something that can and has been done before.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 am

Post by Ether »

It's interesting. Godfathers used to be ubiquitous, but they're only in 7 of the most recent 90 mini normals. (If anyone's curious, 6 of those 7 had a full cop, compared to
12 full cops for the other 83 mini normals.)

I wish the Normal rules had a place for roles that are normal if, and only if, they are announced publicly or the town is otherwise given explicit warning. A tailor/framer would be a much better role if the town knew about it beforehand, or if its existence were confirmed in the cop's role PM, and that would take the cop down a peg too.

EDIT: looked at the archives a little more closely.
Last edited by Ether on Fri May 22, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 132, StrangerCoug wrote:I agree with the argument that calling godfathers and ninjas bastard waters down the term "bastard," but to the point that it's meaningless, I'm not 100% sure I agree. I do think it's an attempt to shift the meaning to "roles that screw up other roles", in which case you can probably argue that EVERY power role would be bastard in some way.

When I think "bastard," I don't think of things that can be foreseen such as "oh, I may have an innocent on a Godfather," or "Oh, I may not be a Sane Cop."

I think of Space Monkey Mafia when I think of "bastard." To me, that was the quintessential example of a bastard game.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Post by kuribo »

*awaits the inevitable veteran that will come in and comment on the PTSD that Space Monkey Mafia caused them*

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 135, kuribo wrote:When I think "bastard," I don't think of things that can be foreseen such as "oh, I may have an innocent on a Godfather," or "Oh, I may not be a Sane Cop."

And that's not what it was ever intended to mean.

Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Post by Oversoul »

I feel like as time goes on Normals become feature less and less roles.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2015 10:24 pm

In post 133, mastin2 wrote:
In post 119, BROseidon wrote:Wait, duplicate roles can be normal?
Can and has been for many instances.

It's the fault of the players if they assume otherwise.

Although I have a side note on this: if two players both claim to be unlimited town cops, it's more likely that the setup contains zero town cops, than that it contains two. (I've seen this happen
twice
. As it happens, you moderated one of them.)

Another thing I've seen happen twice: if a player claims to have used a Cop investigation on a claimed miller, they are likely scum. (Admittedly, one time it was a Town Godfather – me – but that was a split role/alignment game, and claiming the role makes it effectively identical to Miller. In retrospect, I'm not 100% sure why my slot claimed the role; it's not like it proves the role's out of scum hands because if one scum gets it, another scum could claim it. Nonetheless, it was claimed before I replaced in.)
scum
town
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 138, Oversoul wrote:I feel like as time goes on Normals become feature less and less roles.

you are just more aware of other roles - the latest revision of the Normal guidelines actually added roles, I believe
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Fri May 22, 2015 2:25 am

We removed some, but added more.
scum
town
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:46 am

Post by pisskop »

How would I resolve cross roleblocking and also self-targeting roleblocking?
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:44 am

Roleblockers can't target themselves in a Normal.

Crossblocking is something that the current guidelines / action resolutions don't do very well at. As far as I know (although I might be wrong), there isn't an "official" answer. (Note that the answer rarely matters unless one of the players doing the blocking also has a second ability in addition to the block, e.g. a JK's protection or the scum factional kill.)
scum
town
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Post by Wake1 »

In post 140, quadz08 wrote:
In post 138, Oversoul wrote:I feel like as time goes on Normals become feature less and less roles.

you are just more aware of other roles - the latest revision of the Normal guidelines actually added roles, I believe

And I'd say it was done rather nicely. *Enjoying the latest edition.

It would be neat if the 'Loud' modifier was Normalized in the future. :P
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:08 am

Post by Ether »

So, uh...

I posted this in the NRG treehouse, but I'm not sure how many normal reviewers actually read the NRG treehouse? It didn't get any response, anyway. Naturally that means the only thing to do is KEEP POSTING IT.

I really don't like vanilla cops as weakened rolecops. Rolecops already aren't that strong, and we have plenty of crappy investigative roles already. A role that returns the same positive results on mafiates and town power roles is a lot more interesting, strategically. Even if "vanilla cop" doesn't wind up being the name for that role, it should still exist.

(Speaking of which, I also like the idea of a role that gets positive results on mafiates and SOME power roles but not on others, determined during setup design and not inherent to the roles themselves. Gunsmith positives always felt arbitrary to me, and I think it would have been better to just straight-up say that they're arbitrary per game then tie their results to flavor that doesn't exist.)

I wish we had a one-word name for motion detectors. I REALLY wish we had a better name for friendly neighbors, because having both neighbors and friendly neighbors as completely unrelated roles is dumb. Maybe Debutante or Socialite for the latter?

I think the voyeur/follower results should be a lot more condensed than what NAR covers; I don't think NAR works very well for that. Here's what I'd go with:
  • -Kill. This is a straightforward one!
    -Disrupt. This covers roleblocking and rolestopping, but also covers other roles that mess with other player's actions. So if framers, tailors and bus drivers were normal, or if you had a follower in a theme game, this is what it'd get. Note that a voyeur targetting someone who's been rolestopped will still get [No Result], not [Disrupted].
    -Investigate. Any of the many roles that gets results (and get specifically notified if they're disruptive, which most roles don't) falls here. Yeah, trackers and cops work on sort of different principles, but I don't think there's a good reason in practice to distinguish here.
    -Empower. This directly gives new powers or information to other players.
    Friendly neighbors
    Debutantes and neighborizers fall under here. Fruit vendors and message senders technically do, even if the information is just "You now have a kiwi." Inventors and motivators also go here, in theory.
    -Protect. Technically a specialized disruptive role that only disrupts nightkills.
    -Visit. This is the miscellaneous section, which for normal game purposes only applies to custom roles.

Any action that does or can potentially do more than one of these things gets the highest applicable result--so, a follower will see a gaoler being Disruptive. For the same reason, a CPR doctor is a Killing role, not a Protective role, in theory. (Obviously CPR doctors are not normal.) Note that action types that are more likely to come from scum are closer to the top.

If people are interested, I can expand this and make a thread about it to try to cover roles in themes better. There's plenty of space not covered by that list, but it's not really applicable to the current Normal queue, mostly.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:14 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

Being the person that conceived the voyeur, I'd like to see that thread. I feel your way slightly weakens the voyeur from how I usually mod it, but weakening a role is not necessarily bad.

Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Post by Ether »

In post 145, Ether wrote:A role that returns the same positive results on mafiates and town power roles is a lot more interesting, strategically. Even if "vanilla cop" doesn't wind up being the name for that role, it should still exist.

Neapolitan.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

Gunsmith is pretty close.

Also, the point of Normalcy is that it doesn't push for any progress itself, but instead more or less neutrally reflects the conventional site meta, right? There are enough roles that would make Normal games more interesting (percentageless Faith Healers), but that doesn't mean they'll get implemented before people use them in their own games.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:02 am

Post by Ether »

Gunsmiths are tied to arbitrary flavor, so they can't out doctors and some other list of roles that was never compiled with mechanical impact in mind. I don't oppose them, exactly, although I would still prefer it if their results varied from game to game. But they aren't the same thing, even if they fill similar niches.

Vanilla cops in the nerfed rolecop sense and vanilla cops in the detect vanilla townies only sense were previously used at an almost even split. But with vanilla cops being standardized as the former, the latter doesn't even have a name now. This design space is important, and it needs to keep existing.

As far as I can find, exactly two motion detectors have been used in completed games on this site, and both of them are in games that are over 5 years old. I don't really have a problem with them being normal now, but I don't think that that's an accurate reflection of site meta at all.

EDIT: Those motion detectors were nerfed trackers, incidentally. They weren't affected by their target being targeted, so it's not even quite the same role.
As I move my vote
LOUDER

Return to “Mafia Discussion”