THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 34, Psyche wrote:it is pretty spammy in this case because you really could just edit your posts

How does editing a bunch of sentences together into a single post help versus having it delineated across several posts? The net content that has to be read is the same, and if anything splitting up responses to posts across multiple posts makes it easier for other people to track/respond to you.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 70, Antihero wrote:there is a way to combat stupid posting: DON'T READ IT

i know it goes against the collective anal OCD ppl have here that OMG GUYZ WE HAVE TO READ
EVERYTHING
, but that's really not true. if you skip over stupid crap, your reads can be just as good, if not better, than someone who reads the whole thread.

This.

I don't read posts that are more than 2 medium sized paragraphs. If it's longer, I basically skim it and read it later if I have to.

Walls are terrible.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Post by Ankamius »

In post 76, BROseidon wrote:Walls are terrible.

^

I don't read walls at all. I might search for stuff I'm specifically looking for, but otherwise they're just ugh all around.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

spamming walls tho
To be clear: quack
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Post by Oversoul »

If anyone reaches 500 posts at an inappropriate time during the game and *hasn't* caught the entire scum team by that point, they should be policy lynched.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon May 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 79, Oversoul wrote:If anyone reaches 500 posts at an inappropriate time during the game and *hasn't* caught the entire scum team by that point, they should be policy lynched.

I don't think there is an appropriate time to be reaching that many posts.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 1:10 am

Post by Wisdom »

I have more than that in most games
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 1:43 am

Post by quadz08 »

his point stands
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 am

Post by BROseidon »

But what if every post is 1-2 sentences versus someone who's posted 75 walls that amount to the same amount of content?

You're treating "a post" as a consistent unit when it's really not. Given the same amount of content across 500 posts versus 100 posts, it's easier to read in the 500 posts.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 2:31 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

One requires clicking a next button, the other just requires scrolling. While I may be more inclined to actually read the shorter posts, having to change pages to get through the content makes the experience more frustrating, possibly because I'm not skimming as much.

Doesn't matter the format, you don't need to post that much information.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 3:07 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

We are playing a game that is based on posting thoughts.

If someone wants to post thousand of pages so be it. The more they post the easier to know their alignment is.

This is seriously disturbing if people have a problem with the very basis of the game.
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 3:35 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 83, BROseidon wrote:But what if every post is 1-2 sentences versus someone who's posted 75 walls that amount to the same amount of content?

You're treating "a post" as a consistent unit when it's really not. Given the same amount of content across 500 posts versus 100 posts, it's easier to read in the 500 posts.

Depending how the wall is formulated, it may be easier to read (and also healthier for the game). When Id
I do an isolation, walls tend to be self contained with all relevant information. One liners I have to go back and check the context. Takes more time.
elusive
elusive
Mafia Scum
elusive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 8:16 am

Post by elusive »

I would rather play with people who post hundreds of posts then people who lurk. In fact, I'm kind of making a list of people who don't post and not going to /in to games with them.

This is a game where presumably through a mixture of luck, intuition, detective work, psychological profiling and\or analysis you can try to determine alignment and achieve a win con. The lurker, whether town or scum, not only detracts from having content for people to work with. The number of times scum have used lurk posts, RL posts, or VLA to get out of posting content is ridiculous. Like don't play a game if you're not going to engage.

In most other games, lurking leads to being cut off the team or not being invited to play again or being force replaced.

Hey can't post? Replace out. Have issues posting content as scum? Replace out. Or make a separate queue called, "LurkMafia" and peddle those dirty wares there.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 8:35 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 87, elusive wrote:I would rather play with people who post hundreds of posts then people who lurk. In fact, I'm kind of making a list of people who don't post and not going to /in to games with them.

Good luck with the list. Tell me when you'll find a game with no lurkers.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 8:38 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 83, BROseidon wrote:But what if every post is 1-2 sentences versus someone who's posted 75 walls that amount to the same amount of content?

but i don't want to read all of that content

One liners I have to go back and check the context

this too
You can't step in the same river twice.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 8:40 am

Post by Psyche »

it's so much easier to skim a wallpost than a bunch of spam
and yes im switching positions just because i feel like it
notscience
notscience
Survivor
notscience
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 am

Post by notscience »

Juts because its easier to skim doesnt mean its better for the game
Show
STRIKE HARD

STRIKE FAST

NO MERCY
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Post by Equinox »

There is a serious problem when a plurality of games have Day 1s that are 30+ pages. It makes rereading more painful than it already is, and I would guess that fewer people do this now than they used to (and should).

Activity is fine. Making 10 posts in a row or writing 10 paragraphs of flowery sentences because you can't organize your ideas effectively is not.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue May 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Post by Psyche »

(and should).

because getting better at mafia is a duty
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 3:02 am

Post by Kagami »

In post 93, Psyche wrote:
(and should).

because getting better at mafia is a duty

As in all team games, it's important to balance "having fun" with ensuring that your fun doesn't ruin the fun of others, especially when a game can last months and can be ruined by a single player.

To many people, a large part of the fun is winning, or at least being able to put up a good fight. That means that getting better to the point of being competent as either alignment is indeed a "duty."

Being frustrated/demotivated at some of the behaviors described in this thread is a real issue in the present site culture that's worth addressing.

That said, I don't personally have any major issues with spamming or walling, though I do tend to ignore walls if I think the poster is town. To my mind, there are bigger issues that reduce town win-rates.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 4:10 am

Post by Espeonage »

I'm fairly sure there was a game where scum got caught by not engaging in anteater appreciation.
Don't @ me.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 92, Equinox wrote:There is a serious problem when a plurality of games have Day 1s that are 30+ pages. It makes rereading more painful than it already is, and I would guess that fewer people do this now than they used to (and should).

This!

Rereading is such a useful tool but inflating the post count for no reason and spamposting makes it a chore to go back and read.

I want my games with 15 page D1s back :(
green shirt thursdays
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 4:33 am

Post by Ankamius »

If getting back down to 15-20 page day 1s requires going back to mostly walls, then I'll take the spamposting. At least that is readable the
first
time through.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 97, Ankamius wrote:If getting back down to 15-20 page day 1s requires going back to mostly walls, then I'll take the spamposting. At least that is readable the
first
time through.

Spam is not readable, period.

Some degree of socializing is expected in a Mafia game, but having to go through pages of "chucklefuckery" (thanks, Nachomamma8) is soul-sucking. Even in the less extreme case of people posting content through bursts of many, many short posts, it's usually difficult to follow along because they're not taking that bit of time to organize their thoughts and are simply posting whatever comes to mind. Signal:noise is a thing.

That's not to say that all players who play through short posts are bad at Mafia because there are some who are very good at it. It's just that the number of people trying to emulate this play style right now is
too damn high

It could just be the old fogey in me talking, though.

I suspect that the core argument here is not about "wall" posts vs. "spam" posts but that the balance of players subscribing to either style in games has been off-kilter in recent years.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed May 27, 2015 9:05 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

In post 98, Equinox wrote:
In post 97, Ankamius wrote:If getting back down to 15-20 page day 1s requires going back to mostly walls, then I'll take the spamposting. At least that is readable the
first
time through.

Spam is not readable, period.

Some degree of socializing is expected in a Mafia game, but having to go through pages of "chucklefuckery" (thanks, Nachomamma8) is soul-sucking. Even in the less extreme case of people posting content through bursts of many, many short posts, it's usually difficult to follow along because they're not taking that bit of time to organize their thoughts and are simply posting whatever comes to mind. Signal:noise is a thing.

That's not to say that all players who play through short posts are bad at Mafia because there are some who are very good at it. It's just that the number of people trying to emulate this play style right now is
too damn high

It could just be the old fogey in me talking, though.

I suspect that the core argument here is not about "wall" posts vs. "spam" posts but that the balance of players subscribing to either style in games has been off-kilter in recent years.

There is no argument here. Don't you see? This is a game. Everyone plays how they like it. Not how you like it. Unless someone does something terribly anti fair play, everything is accepted. Just cause you don't like doesn't mean other players need to share your view.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”