League of Legends (Old)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42200 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:17 am

Post by dramonic »

In post 42199, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 42198, dramonic wrote:Caytlin is one of the worst scalers as far as adc goes...
Sivir/Ezreal/Quinn/Kalista/Lucian.

:neutral:
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #42201 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:19 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Ehm what? Id rather have sivir/Lucian/ezreal/kalista over cait late regarding that list.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42202 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:21 am

Post by Iecerint »

I'd rather have Sivir for the utility, but the rest looks okay.

Ability-based damage falls off relative to dull autoattackers at 6 items. Kalista usually won't have crit, so she falls off, too.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #42203 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:22 am

Post by zoraster »

http://champion.gg/champion/Caitlyn/ADC if you look at the win % by game length you can see she peaks fairly early in the game. The issue for solo queue is that she's essentially reduced to just using autoattacks and pretty much nothing else.

Her range makes up for a lot of that (it's a GOOD autoattack), but might as well have jinx or tristana late game for that.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #42204 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:26 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Kalista can peel well for herself, and Lucian dishes out better damage 1v1 if getting dove. Sivir you obv want for utility, and Ez is personal for me I'd say
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #42205 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:30 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 42200, dramonic wrote:
In post 42199, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 42198, dramonic wrote:Caytlin is one of the worst scalers as far as adc goes...
Sivir/Ezreal/Quinn/Kalista/Lucian.

:neutral:

Sivir/Kalista both have mediocre lategame dps for an adc in place of additional utlity. In a teamfight lategame, Caitlyn would win about 80% of the time, if not more.

Quinn is both buggy as shit and has problems using more than half her kit in a prolonged fight as she needs to get in melee range to use it.

I hate Ezreal because if he misses like 1 skillshot he's already useless. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but my point stands. He needs to hit all of his skillshots to do damage that's equal to or greater than most ADCs.

Lucian has struggles to get in range to do his damage. 500 range, yo. He has good lategame damage (Lucian's pretty good at everything), but 500 range means he can struggle to get in range against a lot of teams and not instantly die.

Also, save Jinx and Trist, I'd argue that Caitlyn has the best tower pushing of an ADC. Which is one of their main jobs.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42206 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:52 am

Post by dramonic »

Cait's only strength is her range. Her dps is one of the lowest. Not sure what you're smoking.
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
AngryPidgeon
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck
Glenn Peck

Post Post #42207 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 am

Post by AngryPidgeon »

I hovered around G2 for a long time this season, but I'm not sure if I lost a game after hitting plat. Im in my promos for Plat 4 I think.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #42208 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:53 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Kog also pushes a mean turret, as do Corki and Ezreal.

I find Cait severely lacking in teamfight presence, which is the current meta after all. Its usually better to have tricks to get outta a sticky situation with utility then it to have consistent range, since its all about hard engage anyway
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42209 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:41 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 42206, dramonic wrote:Cait's only strength is her range. Her dps is one of the lowest. Not sure what you're smoking.

He doesn't understand what scaling means.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42210 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 am

Post by Iecerint »

His point is that ADCs that build crit and autoattack inherently scale better than those who focus on ability damage. The reason is that ability damage typically can't crit, which affects their previous itemization choices and reduces an important damage multiplier in the late game. An exception is Varus, who has %HP damage on his W and hence another multiplier altogether. Lucian's passive can crit, so he's also in an intermediate position. This is why Corki/Kalista/Ezreal/MF/Quinn/Urgot/Graves don't do quite as much damage late game. The degree to which this happens can be modified by itemization (e.g., going for a brutalizer will give a nice power-spike attractive to ability-damage champions, but at the cost of 6-item power).

Caitlyn has little incentive to go for a build like that, so she always builds stuff that ends up putting her in the higher damage categories late-game. But only very late game.

She's recognized for that power pattern now because Tristana's rework removed her from that niche (strong early, weak midgame, stronger lategame). She's also not as good at it as old Tristana because she lacks the ridiculous AS steroid. So the % armor-penetration (more relevant as the game goes on) should help her.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42211 (ISO) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 am

Post by Iecerint »

Caitlyn having a crappy empirical lategame winrate can be explained by match-ups probably. For example, champion.gg has almost 5000 Vayne v Caitlyn match-ups, and the next most common in Jinx v Caitlyn.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #42212 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:08 am

Post by mykonian »

Iec's analysis of lategame adc's seems the best to me.

Not sure if this is necessary, but: basic stuff, adc's work the way they do for two reasons. One they are ranged, two there are 5 ad oriented stats that synergise. You get ad, as, crit, arpen, lifesteal. The more you already have, the more cost efficient another item from that group becomes. Your first pure adc item won't do much damage compared to it's cost, the second greatly improves it, etc. Which is why you hear casters talk about three item spikes on the pure autoattacking adc's. Then there are the items that give you more bang for your buck early, but bring stats that don't multiply with later buys. Your botrk, triforce, shiv, manamune. Great items, do what they are advertised, but mean that buys after that aren't going to give you as much dps from a 2nd/3rd item as you'd get from a pure adc build. Which is fine for the adc's that build them, they want to fight and win the game shortly after buying said items. So dps wise late vs early is largely determined build wise, builds which are obviously incentivised by champions kits. Of course it's nice if you get something in your kit that says "your autoattacking capabilities become stronger" for an autoattacking build. As far as I can tell cait can go two ways with her build. Either with shiv and bt going for the early gold lead (and lets be fair, that's something you see the pros do, but probably not your opponents), or the crit route at which point you better worry about her after half an hour into the game.

Compare other roles and you can see why adc's are the role for the lategame. Casters get 3.5 synergistic stats (ap, cdr, pen, spellvamp), spellvamp really only counts half because it's not very available to most of them, tanks get 2.5 (resist, health, cinderhulk/gromp), which is why cinderhulk and gromp get so much hate, they changed the game. Bruisers have to juggle damage and tank stats at the same time so are going to have to play with the headstart in base stats they get.

Re: sivir. Sivir's lategame damage is a bit deceptive. There's a lot of (hidden) power in ricochet, not just the fact that it hits the entire fight or the 80% attackspeed you get for those 3 attacks, but also because it's an auto attack reset on a 5 sec cd. You get a lot of autoattacks in in the end just off that ability, if you manage it properly.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #42213 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:12 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

So, Graham NcNeill is Riot's new Senior Narrative Writer.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #42214 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:06 am

Post by zoraster »

Just made Silver I on my alt. Let's see if I end up with a full Tier of difference between my main account (Silver V) and my alt.
Gendaberry
Gendaberry
Goon
Gendaberry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42215 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:43 am

Post by Gendaberry »

In post 42212, mykonian wrote:Then there are the items that give you more bang for your buck early, but bring stats that don't multiply with later buys. Your botrk, triforce, shiv, manamune. Great items, do what they are advertised, but mean that buys after that aren't going to give you as much dps from a 2nd/3rd item as you'd get from a pure adc build. Which is fine for the adc's that build them, they want to fight and win the game shortly after buying said items. So dps wise late vs early is largely determined build wise, builds which are obviously incentivised by champions kits.

Err, this isnt quite right. Twitch/Vayne/Kog are all hypercarries, and all three of those build items from that list. Twitch and Vayne build BoRK, while Kog builds both triforce and bork. While traditional AD builds tend to be better DPS wise, lategame strength is based much less on build, and more on the champ's kits.

On that note, Cait is actually so fun to play. I'm trying to pick her up, but I still can't zone lanes with traps properly yet which makes her a lot weaker. I mean, I can win lane but it's nothing compared to laning vs an actually good Cait where you can barely farm. Good wave control combined with good trap placement turns laning vs Cait into a nightmare. I also don't really agree with a lot of you saying that Cait's lategame is bad. Sure, she's no hypercarry but Ive always seen her lategame as being in the top half of carries.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #42216 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:18 am

Post by PJ. »

She's fine. She's just not fine enough. Sticking with Ashe.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42217 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 am

Post by Iecerint »

Twitch/Vayne/Kog build that way because they have special scaling with attack speed, though. They're still autoattackers (just moreso because their kit makes their autoattack special in some way).
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42218 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Twitch's ult (or Q, I guess, since it's an AS steroid), Vayne's W, and Kog's W?
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42219 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Iecerint »

Vayne W, Kog W, Twitch E/R.

Having an AS steroid makes you scale better with AD, so the presence of the AS steroid isn't why Twitch builds BotRK.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42220 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 am

Post by Iecerint »

Though I guess Twitch's E also scales with AD. I'm not sure which increases E's damage more on a per-gold basis. Just the ult if AD wins I guess.
Voidedmafia
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Voidedmafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42221 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:58 am

Post by Voidedmafia »

Expunge?

I guess, since it means you get to max stacks faster?

(I mean, I know the main benefit is to the ult, but)
2011 scummies winner (BTS help) and participant;

coming back to Mafia...slowly. Keep an eye for me as a mod.
Also keep an eye for setup review requests.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42222 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:02 am

Post by Iecerint »

Yes, the logic was that you stack up faster. But it also deals bonus damage with bonus AD, so that becomes a wash if AD gives more damage per gold.

I don't see Twitch much. ^^;
Gendaberry
Gendaberry
Goon
Gendaberry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42223 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:04 am

Post by Gendaberry »

Yeah I know, thats what I meant. When I read what mykonian wrote, it looked to me like he said that carries that go BoRK or Trinity early aren't as good lategame, which isn't really true.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42224 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 am

Post by Iecerint »

Vayne's R (which gives free AD) also lets her scale better with AS. I forgot about that.

Return to “The Arcade”