2016 US Presidential Election Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 246, quadz08 wrote:
In post 244, T S O wrote:I think the whole server issue has really hurt her credibility/trustworthiness in the general public's eyes.

it hurt her integrity / intelligence in my eyes, that's for sure, and I'm about as liberal as they come

as an IT professional in state government, doing that kind of shit is basic levels of "no shit, sherlock"

It was stupid, certanly. It sounds like it's technically legal for the head of a department in the federal government to run their e-mail out of a server in their home, but it was pretty clearly a foolish thing to do.

I guess I just don't think that it's a huge deal, in the grand scheme of things. People on that level of government leak classified stuff to the press all the time and usually nobody cares. And she didn't even do that; at most you could say that she may have been careless with handling classified material.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 am

Post by quadz08 »

"lots of people do it" doesn't make it acceptable, and I don't know if "careless with classified material" is a good thing to have in a President

I mean, I don't think I'll be voting for any of the Republican candidates still on the table over Hillary if she wins the Dem nomination, but she's certainly not my ideal candidate
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Varian-
Varian-
Goon
Varian-
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Post by Varian- »

In post 237, zoraster wrote:What, to your republican mother, makes him a "decent candidate"? I really fail to see how Sanders can make people "cross party lines" unless they weren't remotely conservative to begin with.

She's probably technically a moderate in terms of actual views, but she calls herself a Republican and is registered Republican and usually only votes for Republican candidates. Maybe not the best example? But she said she might vote him for "at least being honest" which I think is less about him and more about frustration with the state of politics at large.
When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don’t want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give you lemons!
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Post by Venmar »

Not American, so I don't really count since I won't be voting here, but if I could, I think my vote would go to Bernie Sanders, assuming he wins the nomination.

If Trump becomes president, I will hold a moment of silence for my southern brethren.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:52 am

Post by Bella »

In post 251, quadz08 wrote:"lots of people do it" doesn't make it acceptable, and I don't know if "careless with classified material" is a good thing to have in a President

I mean, I don't think I'll be voting for any of the Republican candidates still on the table over Hillary if she wins the Dem nomination, but she's certainly not my ideal candidate

If you actually remember to vote this time.
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 am

Post by quadz08 »

no worries, sammarino, I'll be voting
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:35 am

Post by Bella »

*San Marino.
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 251, quadz08 wrote:"lots of people do it" doesn't make it acceptable, and I don't know if "careless with classified material" is a good thing to have in a President

Eh. I honestly just don't see any of this as that big of a deal. Keeping an imperfectly secured e-mail address that accidentally received a couple of classified e-mails (even though those are supposed to go through diplomatic wire instead) was a screw up, both on her part and on the part of the CIA for sending that stuff by e-mail a couple of times when they weren't supposed to, but not a major screw up, especially since nothing actually got hacked or leaked as a result. It's not even on the same planet as cases where politicians actually leaked classified documents to the media for political reasons, and that happens all the time as well (and even *that* may be justifiable, depending on the details).
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:08 am

Post by quadz08 »

we are clearly coming at this from different perspective - I can be fired with the snap of a fingers for deleting important emails or storing them on a non-authorized device, and that's the case for pretty much every government employee. I'm not enthused about electing someone who willfully broke that rule with
literally every email she sent or received
as one of the 5 most important people in the federal government
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:15 am

Post by Psyche »

but can you call it a non-authorized device
You can't step in the same river twice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

One could also argue that an increase in transparency is an overall good.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:31 am

Post by T-Bone »

Agreed. I am not enthusiastic with Hillary as the Democratic nomination, but other than maybe Kaistch, I don't think I'd give the GOP Nom a second glance. I think he's the least crazy of the lot. On the flip side I think Hillary is too moderate for my liking...
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:56 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 260, Sudo_Nym wrote:One could also argue that an increase in transparency is an overall good.

it's not like she did it in the name of transparency, or that it even indirectly led to greater transparency - this argument holds no bearing
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:39 am

Post by hiplop »

I'm glad I'm not in the states! Your election looks like its going to be a Tea-party level conservative vs a moderate conservative in Hilary
third best scummer of all time
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:36 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 258, quadz08 wrote:we are clearly coming at this from different perspective - I can be fired with the snap of a fingers for deleting important emails or storing them on a non-authorized device, and that's the case for pretty much every government employee. I'm not enthused about electing someone who willfully broke that rule with
literally every email she sent or received
as one of the 5 most important people in the federal government

It's not actually against the rules for the head of a department to use a private e-mail address for their job, and she's not the first secretary of state to do that, either.

I get that in most other govnerment positions, what she did would be against the rules, but in her case, it probably wasn't (unless, again, classified material was mishandled.)

Honestly, I think we keep far, far too many things classified, to a point where it seriously impairs the proper functioning of our government and public accountability for government actions; the massive obsession with secrecy in govenrment seems on some level to be anti-democratic, and I think we should move away from that as much as is practical and declassify the majority of currently classified documents and make it much harder to classify new documents without a really good reason. Especially since stuff like this, where someone gets documents that aren't classified at the time and then they become classified later, always causes such problems.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:38 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 263, hiplop wrote:I'm glad I'm not in the states! Your election looks like its going to be a Tea-party level conservative vs a moderate conservative in Hilary

Eh, her actual record in the Senate is actually reasonably progressive. She's not as far left as Sanders, but her voting record and her issues are a lot more progressive then most liberals seem willing to give her credit for.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Post by Venmar »

Should elect Clinton so that Bill gets to be "First Man" and then be allowed to throw crazy parties at the White House.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I think Rosie O'Donnell's responding to Donald Trumps comments as being indicative that a "war on women" is going on in the country is overestimating the importance of Donald Trump.

http://news.yahoo.com/rosie-odonnell-ad ... RzZWMDc2M-
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

It's not just about Trump
and Rosie says as much in the interview
Which is in the article you linked
It's not very long
To be clear: quack
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Post by Mina »

I
really
shouldn't have read the comments to that article. Now I hate 80% of the people on the planet.

(It also turns out that my uncle-in-law is a real live Trump supporter. I don't even.)
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:19 am

Post by zoraster »

trump isn't going to win the nomination in the end, but i think pretending like the things he's saying are unimportant is wrongheaded.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:50 am

Post by inte »

you gotta hand it to the guy, hes charming in an arrogant kind of way.
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:58 am

Post by T S O »

I would have to admit, I really don't feel there is a war on women.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Salamence20
Salamence20
Survivor
Salamence20
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Salamence20 »

In post 272, T S O wrote:I would have to admit, I really don't feel there is a war on women.

This.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:49 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I'm guessing Bush's war chest will win out in the end, and then he'll lose to Clinton, possibly with a minority vote if Trump jumps to the Tea Party. Clinton has lots of baggage and scandal is around every corner, but the Clinton's are pretty immune to scandal.

Return to “General Discussion”