2016 US Presidential Election Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:23 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I'm not saying it's fair, but I don't think it's fair to tax the rich at unfairly high rate either, no matter how much less work they put in. There are a lot of rich people that put in 80 hour days, and there's no reason they should have to pay a 50% tax rate.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:23 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I'm not saying it's fair, but I don't think it's fair to tax the rich at unfairly high rate either, no matter how much less work they put in. There are a lot of rich people that put in 80 hour weeks, and there's no reason they should have to pay a 50% tax rate.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:23 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I'm not saying it's fair, but I don't think it's fair to tax the rich at unfairly high rate either, no matter how much less work they put in. There are a lot of rich people that put in 80 hour weeks, and there's no reason they should have to pay a 50% tax rate.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:23 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:34 am

Post by zoraster »

We are all products of our environment, of course, but I grew up and still am by most measures "upper class." I know a lot of people who have worked hard, but I don't think there's much in the "hard work" argument.

Few people are making the argument that some wealth and income disparity is a useful or good thing. But when they think about it, they greatly underestimate what that disparity is:

Not everyone is or can be smart or valuable to the economic system. It's probably okay that they aren't rewarded in the same way, but I'd still like people to be able to live at a certain base line of existence that includes health care, a wage that can support a reasonable family, etc. That's particularly true with the knowledge that people in our system start with vastly different opportunities to make themselves economically valuable.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:36 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 525, MonkeyMan576 wrote:I'm not saying it's fair, but I don't think it's fair to tax the rich at unfairly high rate either, no matter how much less work they put in. There are a lot of rich people that put in 80 hour days, and there's no reason they should have to pay a 50% tax rate.

do you not understand how tax rates work? If its 50% above $150k, and I make $190k in a year, its not like I only pocket 90k. It's just the 150-190k that gets taxed the fifty. So I would make 170kish instead
t
third best scummer of all time
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:37 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

To be clear: quack
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:45 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 529, zoraster wrote:We are all products of our environment, of course, but I grew up and still am by most measures "upper class." I know a lot of people who have worked hard, but I don't think there's much in the "hard work" argument.

Few people are making the argument that some wealth and income disparity is a useful or good thing. But when they think about it, they greatly underestimate what that disparity is:

Not everyone is or can be smart or valuable to the economic system. It's probably okay that they aren't rewarded in the same way, but I'd still like people to be able to live at a certain base line of existence that includes health care, a wage that can support a reasonable family, etc. That's particularly true with the knowledge that people in our system start with vastly different opportunities to make themselves economically valuable.

Yes!! exactly! Disparity between rich and poor is fine, the issue is when its THIS huge.
third best scummer of all time
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:49 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 525, MonkeyMan576 wrote:I'm not saying it's fair, but I don't think it's fair to tax the rich at unfairly high rate either, no matter how much less work they put in. There are a lot of rich people that put in 80 hour days, and there's no reason they should have to pay a 50% tax rate.

The US tax system actually isn't progressive at all; it only seems that way if you're only looking at income tax.

If you include all taxes, both local and federal, sales taxes, property taxes, and so on, the top 20% actually pay the same percentage of their income in taxes as the middle 20%. The top .1% pays a lot less then that.

The key here is that sales tax, property taxes, social security and medicare taxes, and a number of others are regressive taxes, taxes that hurt the poor more then the rich. Federal income tax is progressive, but not enough to overwhelm all the other taxes. Meanwhile, the really rich people pay mostly capital gain taxes, which are much lower then all other taxes right now.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

Sorry for the triple post, internet issue.

Yes, I think the tax system should be more equal, but I don't think it should be unfairly progressive.

I would be in favor of a flat tax.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:02 am

Post by Brandi »

This conversation is so interesting. Does anyone know what people in the top 1% do with all of their money? What do most of them do career wise? Also is our society not considered capitalist? I keep hearing things online about how "real capitalism is the answer' but I never see any elaborations.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:06 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 535, Brandi wrote:This conversation is so interesting. Does anyone know what people in the top 1% do with all of their money? What do most of them do career wise? Also is our society not considered capitalist? I keep hearing things online about how "real capitalism is the answer' but I never see any elaborations.

Real capitalism means basically no government oversight or taxes on anything, afaik. It's the laissez faire idea that the free market will solve everything if the government stops screwing things up by interfering.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:19 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 535, Brandi wrote:This conversation is so interesting. Does anyone know what people in the top 1% do with all of their money? What do most of them do career wise? Also is our society not considered capitalist? I keep hearing things online about how "real capitalism is the answer' but I never see any elaborations.

It depends on whether you're using wealth or income to determine the 1%. But the 1% save a lot more money than those not in the 1% (or rather, they invest it).
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's also the Sam Vimes' Boot Theory of Economic Inequality, which is another underdiscussed problem.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:16 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

why?
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 am

Post by Venmar »

In post 525, MonkeyMan576 wrote:put in 80 hour days

Idk if that's possible.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Telo
Telo
Goon
Telo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:53 am

Post by Telo »

In post 540, Venmar wrote:

Idk if that's possible.

It is if you have the right attitude.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:54 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 541, Telo wrote:
In post 540, Venmar wrote:

Idk if that's possible.

It is if you have the right attitude.

Such as "I travel at relativistic speeds"?
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I meant weeks obviously.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:54 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 534, MonkeyMan576 wrote:Sorry for the triple post, internet issue.

Yes, I think the tax system should be more equal, but I don't think it should be unfairly progressive.

I would be in favor of a flat tax.

What is unfairly progressive? A flat tax is something that sounds fair in principal, until you realize that the playing field it's built on is already slanted. A family making $30k a year is hurt a lot more by a flat X% tax than a family making $1mil a year being taxed at that same X%, no matter what you set the X at. So how is a flat tax fair?
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

It depends on your definition of "hurt". Obviously 30% of a $30K income is going to be felt more than 30% of a 100K income. But at what point of a progressive tax do you say enough is enough?
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:18 am

Post by Venmar »

Progressive tax that adjusts to how much you make is the right way to go imo. If I get taxed more depending on how much I make, then that's fair, just how it's fair that I get taxed less if I suddenly lose shitloads of hours at my job(s). I mean, if I got taxed long ago (when I made much less money), the amount I get taxed today, then i'd have made WAY less money.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 545, MonkeyMan576 wrote:It depends on your definition of "hurt". Obviously 30% of a $30K income is going to be felt more than 30% of a 100K income. But at what point of a progressive tax do you say enough is enough?

Well lets look at it another way. I'm going to completely make up some numbers because I don't know exactly what they are, but the logic still holds.

Lets say the rich are taxed at 50% and the poor are taxed at 10% and that's our progressive system. How do we switch to a flat tax without changing the total amount of tax revenue?

If you taxed everyone at 10%, tax revenue drops substantially. If you tax everyone at 50%, well then tax revenue goes up but only a little bit, comparatively. There is a point in between where tax revenue stays the same, and the point I'm trying to make is that due to the income inequality, that point is going to be substantially closer to 50% than 10%. You might end up with a flat tax of something like 48% for everyone to maintain revenue.

So by arguing for a flat tax you're basically proposing a tax reduction on the wealthy (not all that much comparatively, but still a tax cut) while simultaneously proposing a massive by comparison tax hike on the poor.

So again I ask how is a flat tax fair? It would be pretty crippling to the economy IMO.

I'm not meaning to dodge your question I just don't see how ~80% of the country isn't for an even more progressive tax system, because it's in their best interests financially. I don't understand people that argue for a flat tax fail to realize that unless you're in the top 20% it probably means your tax rate is going up. I don't get why so many people vote against their own best interests.
MonkeyMan576
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
MonkeyMan576
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 am

Post by MonkeyMan576 »

I wouldn't have a problem at 35% for the rich, but not 50%. People deserve to keep some of their income.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #549 (ISO) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Post by Runner »

Can I just say, major respect to MM576 for talking coolly and calmly. I'm of the leftward inclination, but I still respect how you're standing up for your views despite strong opposition.

Return to “General Discussion”