Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 147, catboi wrote:
In post 143, Shinobi wrote:Finding scum is only 50% of the game.
The other half is convincing people you're right.
I get the point you're making but, really, come on.

then why even bring this up, unless you're just trying to be a tool?

Why would you act like finding scum is the end-all-be-all of townplay?
Same thing.

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:Not really.
Let me reiterate this to you a third time:
You were spending time in the thread with an unexplained scumread and you were more content to make snide jabs at people than move the game in any significant direction. It is incredibly basic stuff. I found you to be the scummiest person in the thread at that particular moment and voted you for it.

If you don't feel the need to explain an RVS vote, then how should I ever read you if you won't bother explaining things? Your whole bit about reactions is essentially moot because you have no understanding of my range as either alignment - you're just saying it's scummy because "town wouldn't react that way, only scum would" when you aren't providing examples of me doing either or how it's out of the blue and scummy.

The thing you're saying only applies if you have meta to back it up, which you simply don't have.

Let's break this down:
Shinobi is overreacting to an unexplained vote. <----How and why is this scummy?
Shinobi voted me because he thinks I am useless. <----How is this inconsistent with your earlier posting and how can I only be mafia for thinking it?

I might have overlooked some bits, but those seem to make up the main crux of your case, which isn't really that strong on its own.

This is crap. Apparently accoring to you, all reads are worthless without meta or something? Fact is almost nothing you've done has seemed sincere or borne out of honest scumhunting, and a lot of comes off as exceedingly fake reasoning that doesn't really make sense.

Here's the deal: When I drop a vote like that early in the game, someone can brush it off, or they can do what you did and take it seriously.
You didn't need to, but you did, and that in and of itself implies at least some level of nervousness that I've caught on to something.
It's not a definitive tell or anything, but it's something I decided to push on, and your reactions have buried you, especially when you decided to vote me for decidedly crap reasoning that was quickly made invalid.

I find the notion that any player could be determined to be "useless"
on freaking page 2 of a game
absolutely ludicrous, the fact is by that point there's barely anything to go on, to think that I stood out in some way in that regard is ludicrous. That's not to mention the fact that no, I had a gut scum read on you and was advancing it at that very moment. Your reasoning was at most tinly-veiled OMGUS. Now, OMGUS voting isn't inherently a scumtell, I think town players do it a lot but the manner in which you tried to advance the vote was weak as hell. If you'd looked like frustrated town who think they're being pushed on a bad case I'd have bought it, but you didn't - you looked like scum trying to attack the people voting you.

The fact that you're trying to ask me these questions that drill down into my reasoning when you were so unwilling to answer them yourself is terrible, also.

The bolded doesn't imply anything.
I still don't understand why you don't like my reactions.
I don't understand the difference between "frustrated town" and "scum trying to attack people." There's no real distinction being made there.

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:No, it's not.
Activity and productivity are far more likely to point to townies than scum. Sure, there are exceptions, but as far as early game reads go, I think it's a spectacular reason to trust someone rather than someone who boldfacedly does nothing.

Why on earth would you ever think nothing/less of people who do stuff? That doesn't really sound like a good idea, tbh.

And as for being "fairly meaningless," there were two bits that I liked about both of them:
vijay's whole line of reasoning seems to be based on prodding Scorpius to do something, which I was already thinking before he actually posted it.
Spiffeh's whole bit on Kyubei refusing to give examples and positioning himself oddly on the whole "you" wagon was spot-on and insightful, and I liked his line of thinking.
This is 100% ludicrous dog crap. Suggesting activity is indicative of alignment early in the game is complete nonsense. It's indicative of nothing. Someone simply
doing things
doesn't make them town, and to suggest so is either lazy or idiotic. I lean toward it being scum lazily handing off reads for people who don't deserve them, because as scum you see towniness in everything, even when it's not really there. vijay pressuring scorp because he's not voting anyone is actually fairly weak, anyone can press on that sort of junk
because it's not really a tell

Scumhunting is towny, shockingly.

In post 143, Shinobi wrote:Unflipped associatives are bad because, the reality of it is,
Assuming that I'm town, what then?
And what's so easy to understand about his play? I don't really understand it at all - I see an unexplained scumread and a guy that doesn't care about what's going on. What's so towny about that?

Wasn't making associations at all - I just like the fact he's read you the exact same way I have, implying a similar line of thinking. I wouldn't expect you to be able to understand it.

I can't say I'd be able to, considering he hasn't explained it and you don't know why he's siding with you either.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Post by Shinobi »

Do you have any reason to believe that me voting Jean is actually bad aside from the fact that I dropped a vote after asking a question?
Scorpious
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Scorpious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Post by Scorpious »

In post 145, Shinobi wrote:Something that I realized was bugging me that I overlooked:

In post 94, JeanDarc wrote:@everyone
Random/Optional question to answer:
What is your overall experience with Mafia games (in/out of this site)? What is your favourite thing about Mafia (and why)?

What were you intending to accomplish with these questions?

I have seen this question many times, I dont find it scummy at all. I think its a good jumping point for conversations.
"Would you like to know more?"

I am like a renaissance artist. People appreciate me more after I am dead

Semi-V/LA on weekends..

People always fear what they don't understand
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 150, Shinobi wrote:Scumhunting is towny, shockingly.

If only you'd actually done any.
In post 151, Shinobi wrote:Do you have any reason to believe that me voting Jean is actually bad aside from the fact that I dropped a vote after asking a question?

It's based on crap, superficial reasoning, much like everything you've done.

Bored. Someone needs to show up so I can pester them to vote shinobi.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:45 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

Hi I'm here

You'd probably be better off pestering someone else though! :)
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Post by catboi »

Nah, let's talk~

Do you think someone "being useless" on page 2 of a game is a good reason to vote them?
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

It's better than RVS.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 152, Scorpious wrote:
In post 145, Shinobi wrote:Something that I realized was bugging me that I overlooked:

In post 94, JeanDarc wrote:@everyone
Random/Optional question to answer:
What is your overall experience with Mafia games (in/out of this site)? What is your favourite thing about Mafia (and why)?

What were you intending to accomplish with these questions?

I have seen this question many times, I dont find it scummy at all. I think its a good jumping point for conversations.

What have these questions led to, in your experience?
iirc I don't really like much of Jean's filter. It's short and seems somewhat aimless, plus he never really got a response from RC in regards to why he's voting in yet drops the subject anyway.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 155, catboi wrote:Nah, let's talk~

Do you think someone "being useless" on page 2 of a game is a good reason to vote them?

I would also say it's better than gut.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 156, Spiffeh wrote:It's better than RVS.

Is it really? To my mind it's a borderline nonsensical tell, you expect everyone to have been "useful" by page 2? That scum are somehow going to be unable to post content? (This is to put aside the fact that I was, very clearly, being
very
useful)

I see you're voting RC, I think that's a wrong vote but I'm also fairly sure I'm not going to be able to persuade you why at this point in time.

So, instead of that, tell me what you think of these 3 players:

JeanDarc
LexTrew
vijay2vasandani
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 159, catboi wrote:
In post 156, Spiffeh wrote:It's better than RVS.

Is it really? To my mind it's a borderline nonsensical tell, you expect everyone to have been "useful" by page 2? That scum are somehow going to be unable to post content?
(This is to put aside the fact that I was, very clearly, being
very
useful)

I see you're voting RC, I think that's a wrong vote but I'm also fairly sure I'm not going to be able to persuade you why at this point in time.

So, instead of that, tell me what you think of these 3 players:

JeanDarc
LexTrew
vijay2vasandani

No. You weren't.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Spiffeh is cancer, most of this lobby is bad, and Shinobi is probably scum.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 161, RadiantCowbells wrote:Spiffeh is cancer, most of this lobby is bad, and Shinobi is probably scum.

Why are you even playing this game, like really?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 160, Shinobi wrote:No. You weren't.

Only a moron or scum would believe that, luckily you're the latter. Hush, I'm talking to spiffeh, I have nothing more to say to you at this point, and probably won't until I get you lynched.

In post 161, RadiantCowbells wrote:Spiffeh is cancer, most of this lobby is bad, and Shinobi is probably scum.

Jesus, be polite. He's clearly trying even if his reasoning hasn't been great (why should it be?). Posts like this aren't going to help anyone. You don't have to stay in this game if you don't like it.

But if you do decide to stay, we could discuss who shinobi's partner is~. I've got some ideas, but want to hear what you think.

I mean really you saw the signup list, you should have known what you were getting into.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 163, catboi wrote:
In post 160, Shinobi wrote:No. You weren't.

Only a moron or scum would believe that, luckily you're the latter. Hush, I'm talking to spiffeh, I have nothing more to say to you at this point, and probably won't until I get you lynched.

Jesus, be polite. He's clearly trying even if his reasoning hasn't been great (why should it be?). Posts like this aren't going to help anyone. You don't have to stay in this game if you don't like it.

But if you do decide to stay, we could discuss who shinobi's partner is~. I've got some ideas, but want to hear what you think.

I mean really you saw the signup list, you should have known what you were getting into.

What exactly has you
so convinced
that your start was so immaculate and perfect that nobody could ever scumread you for it?
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

@catboi

Yes it was better than RVS because you actually reacted to it pretty strongly and I doubt an RVS vote would have emitted the same response. No I do not expect everyone to have been "useful" by page 2 but that has nothing to do with determining if the vote was good or not.

Why do you think RC is the wrong vote? Does it have to do with Shinobi voting for him earlier?

JeanDarc's ISO is pretty abysmal. Lots of question asking and theory-ish stuff but no content on the players other than saying someone was scum for replacing out.
LexTrew has even less. I get a more gut town read on him though idrk why. I think it's the "can we talk?" post.
I thought vijay's #46 was weird because he implies you are scum but doesn't follow up on it and votes for someone completely different in his next post.

I do not believe RC is any better than these three so I will be keeping my vote. I would like to hear more from them though, obviously.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 164, Shinobi wrote:What exactly has you so convinced that your start was so immaculate and perfect that nobody could ever scumread you for it?

Nah, quit trying to misrep. I wasn't particularly bothered being voted being voted by kyubey, for instance - I felt like his reasoning was understandable but incorrect. I could always plausible understand someone incorrectly scumreading me, if their reasoning made sense. Your reasoning for that vote, and much of everything you've done, has been tortured to the point of blacking out. It's all based largely on superficial nonsense of "being useful" and "moving things forward" which is the most superficial of reasoning - you're just looking at how people
appear
in the game rather than the substance/intent of what they're actually doing, which shows that you're clearly not reading for actual scum motivation behind posts. Everything you've said has been about as far as imaginably possible from genuine scumhunting.
In post 165, Spiffeh wrote:@catboi

Yes it was better than RVS because you actually reacted to it pretty strongly and I doubt an RVS vote would have emitted the same response. No I do not expect everyone to have been "useful" by page 2 but that has nothing to do with determining if the vote was good or not.

Why do you think RC is the wrong vote? Does it have to do with Shinobi voting for him earlier?

JeanDarc's ISO is pretty abysmal. Lots of question asking and theory-ish stuff but no content on the players other than saying someone was scum for replacing out.
LexTrew has even less. I get a more gut town read on him though idrk why. I think it's the "can we talk?" post.
I thought vijay's #46 was weird because he implies you are scum but doesn't follow up on it and votes for someone completely different in his next post.

I do not believe RC is any better than these three so I will be keeping my vote. I would like to hear more from them though, obviously.
I think what you're missing here was that his vote was pretty clearly a reaction to what I was doing in the first place (and a poor one at that), but maybe you're not experienced enough to recognize that. So it goes.

Read on RC has very little to do with Shinobi, much more to do with playstyle and I wouldn't expect you to understand. At the time of the post I wasn't totally solid on my read of him but still felt he didn't seem like scum, I think - were decent in that in that he expressed doubt in my reasoning and my actions - it wouldn't really be to his benefit to suddenly turn on me when I was siding with him initially. But moreso than that I just think him having short posts is something that gets scumread by inexperienced players that don't know better.

I do think his most recent post expressing frustration is probably genuine town though, don't think he'd be so overtly antagonistic as scum.

Wasn't trying to imply that any of those players were scummy by asking you to read them, I just wanted you to comment on people you hadn't mentioned yet so I could better get a read on you. Agree that Jean's recent posting hasn't been great. Would actually disagree in that I think Lex is the most likely of the 3 to be scum though - get zero sense of legitimate scumhunting from him. Hadn't realized vijay only has 5 posts, not really a lot to go by there, I should have picked someone else. I've no idea whether #46 was supposed to be serious or not given how early in the game it was.

Although looking at vijay does raise a good point: Shinobi town-reading him is
abysmal
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Post by Shinobi »

Oh I'm misrepping now?
'Kay.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Post by Shinobi »

This tunnel feels like pure insanity.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

Catboi stop trying to discredit my vote by writing it off as inexperience. You should know that votes this early on are not set in stone and pressure votes exist. RadiantCowbells' most recent post does not do him any favors. I have asked him to elaborate on his Shinobi read and he has not. This is anti-town at best because we well get punished down the road if we allow this behavior to continue, especially in a small game like this.

And FYI I'm not new to forum mafia so please stop treating me like I am. (That sounds sassy but it's not meant to be)

(though it did kind of annoy me)
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I won't treat you like you're new to forum mafia if you stop playing and acting like you are.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

Could you elaborate on your Shinobi read for me please?
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 169, Spiffeh wrote:Catboi stop trying to discredit my vote by writing it off as inexperience. You should know that votes this early on are not set in stone and pressure votes exist. RadiantCowbells' most recent post does not do him any favors. I have asked him to elaborate on his Shinobi read and he has not. This is anti-town at best because we well get punished down the road if we allow this behavior to continue, especially in a small game like this.

And FYI I'm not new to forum mafia so please stop treating me like I am. (That sounds sassy but it's not meant to be)

I'm not trying to discredit you whatsoever, I just disagree with your reasoning heavily. These are different things given the fact I think your reasoning is probably coming from a legitimate thought process. It's just that in fact, what you're doing now really is a typical mistake - you're associating anti-town behavior with being scummy, when the two aren't really related (in most circumstances. there are always exceptions). I agree that he's not being helpful, but to assume this is because he's scum pounding the table raging and refusing to answer, is, well, stoopid. It's very rare for a scum player to demonstrate that sort of hostility/frustration he expresses in his post. You need to try to understand people's thought processes more.
Shinobi
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Shinobi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Post by Shinobi »

In post 172, catboi wrote:
In post 169, Spiffeh wrote:Catboi stop trying to discredit my vote by writing it off as inexperience. You should know that votes this early on are not set in stone and pressure votes exist. RadiantCowbells' most recent post does not do him any favors. I have asked him to elaborate on his Shinobi read and he has not. This is anti-town at best because we well get punished down the road if we allow this behavior to continue, especially in a small game like this.

I'm not trying to discredit you whatsoever, I just disagree with your reasoning heavily. These are different things given the fact I think your reasoning is probably coming from a legitimate thought process. It's just that in fact, what you're doing now really is a typical mistake - you're associating anti-town behavior with being scummy, when the two aren't really related (in most circumstances. there are always exceptions). I agree that he's not being helpful, but to assume this is because he's scum pounding the table raging and refusing to answer, is, well, stoopid. It's very rare for a scum player to demonstrate that sort of hostility/frustration he expresses in his post. You need to try to understand people's thought processes more.

Yeah it doesn't really seem like that's the case.
But okay I guess.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

Catboi I called RadiantCowbells out for still being on his RVS vote.
He told me that there is nothing random about the vote.
I asked him to explain why he thinks Shinobi is scum, since he claims his vote was serious.
He refuses to do so.
I am not tolerating it and you shouldn't either. His behavior is promoting apathy which destroys towns in games this small. This is the scummiest thing I have seen so far, so I am voting for him.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish right now? You said you weren't going to try to convince me to unvote RC but it looks like that's exactly what you are doing. Why not let the vote play out and see RC's response rather than stifle it?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”