Daytalk for Newbies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Post by Psyche »

We already provide accomodations to newbies that deviate from usual games, like the IC role and a dull setup. I think daytalk has enough newbie-specific merits and deviates so minimally from site meta that it could be a worthwhile change despite that limitation.
You can't step in the same river twice.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 20, Kalimar wrote: Curiously enough, though, a move to making daytalk standard in newbies would probably lead to the worthwhile question as to whether it should be a site implicit standard (albeit a non-mandatory one in player-created games), and I guess that would really come down to what people think the benefits of not having daytalk are.
(I raised the topic to the Normal group, so you may see something about this in the future. Don't get your hopes up, though.)

In post 24, GuyInFreezer wrote:I thought the whole point of no daytalk was to introduce people to mafia games,
which, most of the time, have no daytalk
[citation needed]

Every game I've been scum in since L4D (almost two years ago) has had daytalk as far as I can remember. (Granted, haven't actually drawn scum much, butstill.)
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Post by Psyche »

Town win rate might improve with less scum replace-outs, too.
You can't step in the same river twice.
SilverWolf
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
SilverWolf
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:30 am

Post by SilverWolf »

The times I have had daytalk as scum, have been A LOT more fun and IMO was very, very helpful. The first game I had it, we won easily. The second time, we eventually lost, but I feel like I learned a ton from my much more experienced teammates. Both these times I had it, I got along GREAT with my buddies and we used it A LOT. The one downside I would say for using it that much, is it is really hard to go from that scum mindset in the PT to town mindset in the game. Really, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Another game I got to communicate a lot with someone was when I was traitor and shared a neighborhood with scum (I didn't know he was scum, he didn't know I was traitor) but it was super fun because again, we used it a ton. In all 3 of these situations, I feel like I bonded with the people I was scum/neighbors with to the point where we want to play with each other in games more which I think is a huge boon to newbies-really getting to know another player and possibly following them to another game.

Another possibility for newbie games is to have more experienced people volunteer to be coaches for the scumteam. Meaning you don't play, but have access to the PT and can help them at night when they are planning. I'm not sure if this would give too much of an advantage to the scumteam however, since having that experienced advice might tip the scales in their favor, but it would most certainly help make the newbie games a better experience for people who draw scum right away and are not sure what to do. Especially, if they both are brand new.

My first game here, the two scum were replaced. The first one replaced twice and the second one once. Both of them were brand new to the site and I never saw them again. Contrast that to me, who got town PR and am still here. Then again, I really like the players in that game so how the other players behave helps a lot in your first game, which is why I always try to give a good experience to newbies regarding my play in newbie games.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:32 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 26, mastin2 wrote:[citation needed]

Standard mafia games*
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 12, Porochaz wrote:We want games to match site meta as much as possible

why
quadz08
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
quadz08
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:27 am

Post by quadz08 »

In post 29, GuyInFreezer wrote:

Standard mafia games*

[citation still needed]

daytalk is exceptionally common now - I'd bet that at
least
50% of themes have daytalk in them, whether via rules or encryptor.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 am

Post by Mina »

I am very strongly considering this.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 31, quadz08 wrote:
In post 29, GuyInFreezer wrote:
Standard mafia games*
[citation still needed]
daytalk is exceptionally common now - I'd bet that at
least
50% of themes have daytalk in them, whether via rules or encryptor.
^What quadz said.

They've even gained popularity outside of themes.
And, for what little it may be worth, most off-site games I've seen have had scum daytalk, too. Daytalk isn't universal by any means, sure, but it's certainly standard in a lot of locations, a majority of theme games included.

Also, on a personal note: every time I've forbidden scum from having daychat, I've regretted the decision later.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Maybe day 1 only day talk would be a good idea. Day1 is a really long and important phase of the game to take on entirely by yourself as a scum player. All the townies are free to openly ask the IC for help but if a scum is wondering something at the start of the game like "Is it bad to vote people back who vote me" or "What should I do when one person is criticizing me over and over again" it's not like they can ask the IC.

Night 0, no one knows what questions they should ask.
It's also really easy to feel like you are not shirking a commitment when you flake as a scum, when you have only one teammate, and you can't talk to them in a sincere way. Although I'm tempted to think that's kind of a good thing to have the filter set to "high" to deter replacement rate from other games on the site.. but still.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 3, popsofctown wrote:It's better than not having it, but barely so.

This is false. Daytalk is insanely powerful, although it's utility scales with skill (like masons)
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Post by Porochaz »

In post 30, Bicephalous Bob wrote:

why

really?

Because we are giving newbies a taste of what to expect on the main site.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 35, BROseidon wrote:
In post 3, popsofctown wrote:It's better than not having it, but barely so.

This is false. Daytalk is insanely powerful, although it's utility scales with skill (like masons)

and many newbies don’t have enough skill for it to be insanely powerful for them. but it will still help them more than not, and it will make the game more fun for them.

The times I’ve had a newbie scum buddy, I couldn’t tie myself to them in public so I just had to let them sink once it was clear that they were dead in the water. If I’d had daytalk with them, I could have at least tried to help them some before tunnelling them into the ground; and I would have felt better about tunnelling them if I could have said in private “hey this isn’t personal I don’t actually hate you but I can win this for us even if you die.”

Also it would be fun to cheerlead them in private everytime they do something well I could say “hey great post you’re doing great keep doing that”.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Post by Toomai »

I am of the opinion that daytalk should not be shoehorned into the Matrix6 setup. If newbie games switch to using it, it should be with a setup designed for it.
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Fink
Fink
Goon
Fink
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Post by Fink »

What makes it "shoehorned" rather than just "added to"? What about Matrix6's design makes it particularly incompatible with daytalk?
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:20 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I had daytalk as newbie scum in my first game. If you don't have day talk and you are more experienced than your partner, I feel you have to lay out everything right then and there. All the situations you expect to encounter, to compensate for less talk during the day. Obviously you will not be as organized but that's the point right?
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Post by Plotinus »

my scum IC wall that i post pregame is really really long but it’s not enough. being able to help in real time would be better.

I tell them to try to make some allies in the town but in real time i could say hey Ranmaru is townreading you, you should townread him back and try to work together with him.

I tell them not to get too defensive, just explain once why the other person is wrong and move on, but in real time i could tell them hey that’s enough defending yourself for now go attack Fink now.

I tell them that if they see me coaching somebody else in public and giving advice that I’m secretly talking to them, but it would be easier if I could say in public "Toomai you need to be more active what do you think of Porochaz" and in private I could say to my buddy "you need to be more active too how can I help what’s going on what are you struggling with. let’s figure out who you’re going to pretend to scumread and why”

Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 pm

In post 36, Porochaz wrote:
In post 30, Bicephalous Bob wrote:

why

really?

Because we are giving newbies a taste of what to expect on the main site.

Do you consider not having daytalk to be an integral part of site meta?

It's a minor thing people will be able to adapt to without the help of an IC.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:47 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Plotinus gives good points. Also, reading a really really long SCUM IC post may not be fun or interesting for a scum newbie. It's easier to learn as you go. You are basically throwing newbies in the wild by letting them be 'solo'. (Temporarily) I also like the point that newbies aren't skilled enough to make the day talk op, even if the scum IC can. I mean it's a newbie game. Basically this is something really to consider if you prioritize newbies actually learning how to play. If you just want to weed out players and not care about them learning (or at least, they still learn but through trial and error).
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:02 pm

A problem with daytalk is that skilled players can give very specific suggestions to the point that they are basically writing the newbie's posts.
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Post by ika »

In post 44, Bicephalous Bob wrote:A problem with daytalk is that skilled players can give very specific suggestions to the point that they are basically writing the newbie's posts.

Isnt that jsut scum coaching? I mean in some scum games i have seen, i have seen scums aks other scums to make a post for them to put in or revulate it
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:47 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 44, Bicephalous Bob wrote:A problem with daytalk is that skilled players can give very specific suggestions to the point that they are basically writing the newbie's posts.

and the SEs can watch for sudden improvements in a newbie’s play, changes in their writing voice, them having an unexpectedly good grasp of current site meta, etc. And two people writing in the same voice is going to be one heck of an associative tell.

Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:31 am

Oh, I wasn't talking about it being too hard on town, although I'm not sure how reliable those associative tells will be in practice.

What I meant was "Is it fun for a newbie to be overzealously coached by a buddy?"

A good compromise might be to limit daytalk to the first day. This gives scum the chance to coach each other on obvious playstyle flaws and to build a sense of team spirit, while also being introduced to rolling solo. The removal of daytalk on day 2 also works as a counterbalance.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Post by Toomai »

In post 39, Fink wrote:What makes it "shoehorned" rather than just "added to"? What about Matrix6's design makes it particularly incompatible with daytalk?
In general, I think daytalk is a major enough thing that you can't just add it to an existing setup and expect it to work well; it has to be part of the design from the get-go.
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Fink
Fink
Goon
Fink
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Post by Fink »

So how would you design a setup differently for daytalk? What sorts of things need changing?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”