LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 671, VysePresident wrote:Stupid weather. I'm having connection issues, and I've been falling asleep waiting for WiFi to get a post in, so I'm just going to copy & paste what thoughts I have here, and call it a night.

I think the thing that gets to me the most in reading this thread is how many times it stalls in a morass of stuff that...well, honestly, I don't really care about. We have buzzwords flying all over the place - AtE, 'Misunderstandings', Inactivity, overreactions, 'slyly pushing mislynches', "Anti-Town play" (I hate that last buzzword in particular, to be honest.) However, the context behind these buzzwords is either incredibly flimsy, or completely irrelevant to actual alignments.

I think it be worth linking to this Mafia Discussion Thread about buzzwords & the like. It's not that they're always invalid, so much as frequently abused, and I believe this thread in particular would find it worth a look. (For instance, I tend to use meta a heck of a lot, with decent results, though I'm better able to gauge players I've actually played with 'live', than games I read after the fact.) I particularly recommend Brian Skies Post #21, but I can't exactly quote it here due to size.

Actually, having reread the thread in full, I'm particularly curious to hear from Elbirn now. His post there seems to agree with my reasons for scumreading him. :|

In post 7, Elbirn wrote:
In post 0, Varsoon wrote:
Occam's Razor:
"I don't want to overthink this game but I want to be justified for taking the path of least resistance."
WIFOM:
"I can't accurately assess if you're rusing me or not."
IIOA:
"Nice points but I'd like to disregard them."
Meta:
"Because you've played other games on site, I want to add perceived validity to whatever my point is."

It's like you're me.

AtE & "slying pushing mislynches", Elbirn? How would you describe those two phrases, if not similar to these buzzwords here? Why am I wrong for thinking you should know better, again?

Then there are the gambits, based at best on quirks & personal tells I don't care much for, or at worst, less than that. (These enjoy a particularly irked spot in my heart after I got tunneled the entirety of the last game I played based on somebody trying to pull a gambit on me to find my alignment. He actually had some really good stuff mixed into his read, but the end result was that I was Town, and just barely survived by fighting his scumread on me tooth & nail with the other players, since he was so confident he was completely ignoring me.)

Honestly, I don't care about most any of this, because, in my experience & opinions, none of this is particularly relevant to alignment. The main things I look for is what interests people, when it interests them, and why. It's something I call 'direciton' & 'positioning', because scum's goal are ultimately different from the Town's. Town needs to lynch scum, scum need to survive until they equal Town, with mislynches & NKs to aid them. So, look for the people trying to blend in, the people aiming to look Town, rather than solve the game. (It goes a bit deeper than that, because there's an essentially infinite number of strategies for scum to do this, but I don't want this rant to get too long. It just takes flexibility & commonsense to get around most of them.)

In other words, anybody can look like Town when the spotlight is on them. The question is, how do they start acting when they're not aiming for Towncred. Do they still Towntell, or does it fade? How about when their strategy suddenly falters, without warning? (I'm rambling now, so I'll cut this off here.)

Sometimes, having such a different perspective than the rest of the game is helpful for me, because it lets me take an outside perspective while scum are playing to their audience. Usually, they don't really 'get it' anymore than I do thanks to knowing alignments, but they're busy looking for openings & vulnerabilities rather than solving the game. This time, I've had a bit of trouble, just because it's tricky to get a grasp on the narrative, and specifically, what people think is important as a group. It doesn't help that I haven't been able to obsess over the game like I used to, when I first started playing Mafia. That's why

---

That does all lead into the scumread I have on Elbirn. It's a matter of his play not following the personality I've seen from him, as well as resembling a chess game more than the typical paranoid Townie. (And even more experienced Townies are paranoid. They're just better at controlling it.)

You don't always want to go straight for the target in any strategy game, but this is particularly true of Mafia, where scum are trying to present an image. Mislynches are nice, but secondary to survival, which (ironically) is why bussing is such a common strategy. (And I love manipulating scum into bussing early. :P )

Elbirn stands out because of the manner of his read on Klingon, in particular. It's not that Klingon is some impressive bastion of Town play, because frankly, she's not in the least. However, Elbirn is consistently reframing the narrative in the case he had on her that I dissected earlier. Calling someone out for as bad a suggestion as auto-lynching replacements is fair, however, calling it a 'sly push for easy mislynches' is a ridiculous stretch. This is the kind of thing that would never get massive support outside of a particularly crazy Town, and Elbirn's been around a while. I find it very hard to believe that he thought this was actually remotely plausible, or that Klingon would think that way. Frankly, if anyone's 'slyly pushing mislynches', I would believe it was Elbirn.

I've also frequently seen scum use that line before, in exactly the same manner. Your mileage may vary, but it's something I dislike very strongly about his play.

Outside of Klingon, he's constantly feeling out various lines of thought - and I don't entirely have too much problem with people pushing a bunch of reads & all that. It's part of solving the game. The problem is the 'feeling out' part of the statement, because he's constantly directing suspicion outward, and looking at where it sticks - it's too efficient, for lack of a better term. As a general rule, Townies are the hypocrital, paranoid messes that don't know what they're doing. Elbirn is too polished, too Town on the surface, and not enough when you actually look for any depth.

Perhaps think of it this way - A famous bank robber is asked why he robs banks, and he just shrugs and says "That's where the money's at". It's kinda like that in Mafia. Town cred is worth more than gold in this game, and scum are naturally going to gravitate to where they know to find it. Good play is good play, nothing more, at least outside of context. Same with bad/inactive play. Effort is not indicative of alignment, to steal the line. Honestly, Klingon hasn't impressed me this game, but neither has the case against her - If she's scum, I think it's going to be for different reasons than the ones brought against her to day. (There's a reason I'm pressuring her for reads, and such. I want to see her commit, instead of continue what I believe is just a mutually bad tunnel.)

Or let me put this another way. Keeping my theory in mind, can someone look through his play & tell me what's so Townlike about it? I honestly don't think it'll be easy to come up with all that much, if you actually dissect it. I honestly don't see it. I see him going through the motions of Townreading people & pushing the game forward, but these things aren't particularly alignment indicative on their own. These things are just basic good play for either alignment. Where are the signs of any depth to his posts? Why is he hard-pressing Klingon based on "AtE" & "Sly pushes", when they resemble the same buzzwords he dismissed outside the game thread? (And I know they're technically different buzzwords from the quote I linked & all, but it's the same logic. If the four Elbirn mentioned are shallow & useless, what makes these two any different?)

I don't know. I always have a lot of trouble getting my thoughts across to people, because a lot of it is intuitive, and it's hard to convince people who don't also have a similar intuitive take on things. Sometimes, I even rely on buzzwords myself, to sort of sum up my thoughts, particularly when they just start forming. ('Genuine' is a word I use a lot, for instance.) The thing is, I can always go deeper into them when I have to do so, and it's a constant growing process. I don't see that coming from Elbirn.

Elbirn stands out to me the most, because I'm constantly seeing him hitting the basic level 'Towntells' - the ones that remotely experiences scum know to hit, and are very fakeable - and those Towntells don't combine to make a pattern or flow.

Does any of this make sense? Please?

Other reads later. I'm tired, I'm rambling & repeating myself, and I've spent enough time on MS for one night.

This is all fine and well, but I don't see how this makes your case on anyone that much stronger. I'd say its both IIoA and going against Occam's Razor at the same time. I'd really like to know why you find Elb "scummy".
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Suzune
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:18 pm

Post by Suzune »

In post 671, VysePresident wrote:Stupid weather. I'm having connection issues

Goodness do you live near me. I have been having the worst weather lately. The last thing one wants to do is walk to the train in the rain wearing heels...not fun.

In post 671, VysePresident wrote:I think the thing that gets to me the most in reading this thread is how many times it stalls in a morass of stuff that...well, honestly, I don't really care about. We have buzzwords flying all over the place - AtE, 'Misunderstandings', Inactivity, overreactions, 'slyly pushing mislynches', "Anti-Town play" (I hate that last buzzword in particular, to be honest.) However, the context behind these buzzwords is either incredibly flimsy, or completely irrelevant to actual alignments.
I tend to think that this is a normal part of mafia in general. They are the kinds of things you talk about when you are trying to understand someone. The trick is figuring out how to poke people to yield the best results therefore I think that there is a good gambit in accusing someone of playing anti-town...I recently had a fight with someone about that.

I will look through Elbin's play but I currently do not find it particularly scummy. I find it interesting though that you wrote a five paragraph rant about buzzwords and how their context is too flimsy but then used them as the anchor in your case...
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Post by VysePresident »

Can you show me a couple of his Town/Scum games, just so I can get a feel for him? (This offer is obviously open to Elbirn too.)

Like, I don't know. My read on Blankface last game was similar, and backfired hard, but at the same time, there's kinda a lot here. :|
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:31 pm

In post 676, Suzune wrote:
In post 671, VysePresident wrote:Stupid weather. I'm having connection issues

Goodness do you live near me. I have been having the worst weather lately. The last thing one wants to do is walk to the train in the rain wearing heels...not fun.

In post 671, VysePresident wrote:I think the thing that gets to me the most in reading this thread is how many times it stalls in a morass of stuff that...well, honestly, I don't really care about. We have buzzwords flying all over the place - AtE, 'Misunderstandings', Inactivity, overreactions, 'slyly pushing mislynches', "Anti-Town play" (I hate that last buzzword in particular, to be honest.) However, the context behind these buzzwords is either incredibly flimsy, or completely irrelevant to actual alignments.
I tend to think that this is a normal part of mafia in general. They are the kinds of things you talk about when you are trying to understand someone. The trick is figuring out how to poke people to yield the best results therefore I think that there is a good gambit in accusing someone of playing anti-town...I recently had a fight with someone about that.

I will look through Elbin's play but I currently do not find it particularly scummy. I find it interesting though that you wrote a five paragraph rant about buzzwords and how their context is too flimsy but then used them as the anchor in your case...

I'm taking a mental note of what you say here Suzune.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:33 pm

In post 677, VysePresident wrote:Can you show me a couple of his Town/Scum games, just so I can get a feel for him? (This offer is obviously open to Elbirn too.)

Like, I don't know. My read on Blankface last game was similar, and backfired hard, but at the same time, there's kinda a lot here. :|

How are you still a goon? Also I think it would be a really good idea for you to start a wiki on yourself. I might just be doing on for you if after this game I feel you impressed me in some way.

Klingoncelt
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Post by Klingoncelt »

In post 667, VysePresident wrote:@LQ - Ugh. You realize you're just going in circles now. You're not being clear, ergo I misunderstand you dude. Chill.

@Kling - Do me a favor & ignore LQ for a moment. What are your reads, and why? Why does Marcrell posting make him Town?

I'm doing my reads tonight. (I'll finally have some time to devote to them.)

I've been Scum with Marc before. He made a couple of greeting/rvs posts, then flaked. It's my understanding that it's his usual Scum meta. So as long as he's posting, he's leaning Town. Leaning, not solid.
Klingoncelt: "The whole scumteam slipped on page 1. It's the new meta. Sheep me because my reads are so accurate that whoever I name gets mod-converted to scum."
-
MiniDeathStar
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Post by VysePresident »

Can you tell me which buzzwords I'm using poorly Suz? I outright said they're not useless, but the way they're being used by Elb implies a lack of consideration, I feel.

Or another tack, who seems scummy to you? Let me get a feel for where you guys are at, I guess. :/
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Post by VysePresident »

In post 679, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 677, VysePresident wrote:Can you show me a couple of his Town/Scum games, just so I can get a feel for him? (This offer is obviously open to Elbirn too.)

How are you still a goon? Also I think it would be a really good idea for you to start a wiki on yourself. I might just be doing on for you if after this game I feel you impressed me in some way.

I'm still a goon because they upped the posting requirements (sending me back to goon.), and I don't usually post a lot per game. I tend to go for a quality over quantity style. I've been experimenting with getting louder, and playing with different tones, but my scumhunting ability seems to go down a little when I do.

As for the Wiki thing, I've been lazy, and felt it might come across as a little arrogant back when I hadn't played all that much on MS.

Also, my best play is currently a bit behind me, because I can't give games the same focus I used to. Beforehand, I was obsessive to a fault, now I just say what I'm thinking as I think it.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Post by VysePresident »

That said, thanks though! I meant to say that above. I blame exhaustion.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Post by VysePresident »

@Suz - I'm curious, how do you feel about me after last game?

I'm curious, because I used a few buzzwords there, too. (But again, I explained them.)
Marcrell
Marcrell
Goon
Marcrell
Goon
Goon

Post Post #685 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Post by Marcrell »

I think Vyse is town for his whole case on Elbirn. Looks like a lot of thought effort. I don't agree though.

Blankface has done little to alleviate my scumread on him.

Just as I realized I was probably prodded and was going to come back my Internet went out. So I'm using my phone right now.

I think Lickety said Morning Sun's disagreement between heads could be coordinated, I'll probably look into that when I can use a computer again. Having obvtown reads from so early usually worries me, town can get complacent, so I'll probably focus more on those people as well.
BlankFace
BlankFace
Goon
BlankFace
Goon
Goon

Post Post #686 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by BlankFace »

There's little to alleviate. Your read is bland and still doesn't interest me.

Someone ask me something to try and help me get engaged. Because I tried to do a reread and all it did was make me feel like my brain was turning to mush.
grapes
grapes
Mafia Scum
grapes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #687 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Post by grapes »

ight, why no vote?
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #688 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:30 pm

Post by VysePresident »

What do you think of Emp. Bella?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #689 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #690 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 680, Klingoncelt wrote:

I've been Scum with Marc before. He made a couple of greeting/rvs posts, then flaked. It's my understanding that it's his usual Scum meta. So as long as he's posting, he's leaning Town. Leaning, not solid.

That is such horrible meta on a player.

Why...just why would that be your usual behavior as scum? Ugh. Some people.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #691 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:46 pm

In post 667, VysePresident wrote:@LQ - Ugh. You realize you're just going in circles now. You're not being clear, ergo I misunderstand you dude. Chill.

@Kling - Do me a favor & ignore LQ for a moment. What are your reads, and why? Why does Marcrell posting make him Town?

Really I don't think you have enough meta on him, lets be honest here.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #692 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:48 pm

In post 686, BlankFace wrote:There's little to alleviate. Your read is bland and still doesn't interest me.

Someone ask me something to try and help me get engaged. Because I tried to do a reread and all it did was make me feel like my brain was turning to mush.

Ok, I'll ask you something. What happened to your spirit? You don't seem the same player that you were in that first day I was lynched. What happened?

Klingoncelt
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #693 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Post by Klingoncelt »

In post 690, Firebringer wrote:

That is such horrible meta on a player.

Why...just why would that be your usual behavior as scum? Ugh. Some people.

A lot of players can't handle being Scum. Putting on the act of being a Townie is too stressful for them. (Keep in mind the days here last weeks.) So they lurk, and lurk, and then flake off. But then when they're Town, they stay and are engaged and post regularly and everything's cool.
Klingoncelt: "The whole scumteam slipped on page 1. It's the new meta. Sheep me because my reads are so accurate that whoever I name gets mod-converted to scum."
-
MiniDeathStar
Klingoncelt
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #694 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Post by Klingoncelt »

In post 691, LicketyQuickety wrote:

In that he flaked, no I don't have a lot.
-
MiniDeathStar
Klingoncelt
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Klingoncelt
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #695 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Post by Klingoncelt »

Here's my reads list:

TOWN
Klingoncelt
Morning Sun

LEAN TOWN
BlankFace
Elbirn
Marcrell
Suzune
VysePresident

NULL
Empoleon Bellapatre - Bella leans Town, Nage looks Scummy
Grapes

SCUM
Firebringer
LicketyQuickety

for what it's worth.

I'll be back late tonight.
-
MiniDeathStar
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #696 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 pm

In post 694, Klingoncelt wrote:
In post 691, LicketyQuickety wrote:

In that he flaked, no I don't have a lot.

Exactly, you were in one game where he flaked.. not exactly a lot of info on the guy.

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #697 (ISO) » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 pm

In post 695, Klingoncelt wrote:Here's my reads list:

TOWN
Klingoncelt
Morning Sun

LEAN TOWN
BlankFace
Elbirn
Marcrell
Suzune
VysePresident

NULL
Empoleon Bellapatre - Bella leans Town, Nage looks Scummy
Grapes

SCUM
Firebringer
LicketyQuickety

for what it's worth.

I'll be back late tonight.

Why is Fire Scum?

Morning Sun
Morning Sun
Townie
Morning Sun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #698 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 am

Post by Morning Sun »

So Gameplay has a life, regardless we need a real flip to get the ball moving here because we are all in the dark here.

Town:
Suzune
Elbirn
Grapes
LQ

Null:
Empoleon
Firebringer
VP

Scum:
BF (Because Gameplay said so)
Klingon
Marcell

~Espeon
Suzune
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Suzune
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #699 (ISO) » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:26 am

Post by Suzune »

I'm confused. Who would you like a couple of town/scum games for. I hate using meta to back plays, but I am curious of who we are talking about.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”