Newbie 1667: Bushfire! (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Post by vettrock »

Sorry about the absence. Life sometime keeps rolling with or without Mafia. Some comments on some of the post in my readthrough.

In post 327, goodmorning wrote:actually generic wisdom holds that town shouldn't give a shit abt how they look

but it's kind of a playstyle thing
While there are certainly some who say this. It is important for both scum and town to try and look town. If you are town and you don't care or defend yourself, you are likely to be mislynched, and that doesn't help town. When town spends more effort trying to look town rather than finding scum, that is a problem. Some people take this more seriously than others, and some people have a much higher threshold for when they just give up, or keep fighting.
My "Get to Know a Scummer" thread is here.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 347, shrike wrote:

I apologise for lurking, I'm having trouble finding things to respond to. If anyone has any questions they want to ask me that might help me contribute more.
I would like to think this is just newbieness. I also sometimes have a hard time finding scum reads especially early in the game, but as the game progresses here is more an more to go off of.

Sidequestion: Are there stats on whether mafia is more or less likely to replace out than village?

Mafia is significantly more likely to replace out of Newbie games.
Stats are here.

I'm not sure we want to jump on and apply that here since TIMU seems mostly town to me. Performer also seems town.

AzoriusSenate, and Radical Rat are my top scumreads right now. I don't think they are scum together though due to their interactions. I'm not sure which one is the scum.
My "Get to Know a Scummer" thread is here.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Votecount 2.03

AzoriusSenate (2) Radical Rat; This is my username;
vettrock (2) goodmorning; Performer;
This is my username (1) shrike;
Performer (1) ai_shuuu;
Radical Rat (1) AzoriusSenate;
shrike (0)
ai_shuuu (0)
goodmorning (0)

Not voting: vettrock;

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Day 2 Deadline (expired on 2015-12-20 18:42:02)
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:15 am

Post by goodmorning »

In post 340, Performer wrote:The most suspect people to me, on PC's wagon - are the middle 3 of vett/Mort/shrike.

Statistically speaking that's actually the opposite of what we expect to see D1, but it's not like it doesn't happen, so.

In post 342, Radical Rat wrote:as soon as I mention your name, you pop back up. Just seems a bit odd, y'know?

eyyyyyyy Beetlejuice.

A tell as useful as the Amished.

In post 344, Performer wrote:gm I seem to recall you said you think someone's town (I forget if it was shrike)? How sure are you on this?

In post 321, goodmorning wrote:dammit stop looking town everyone

I am literally not sure of my read on anyone atm. I don't really remember how to be Town. But at least I'm a claimed PR so I don't have to take stances I'll regret later.
I'd really like to see more people making cases and pushing wagons. That is immensely helpful.

In post 346, This is my username wrote:I can't really quote more than one person
exactly
, but I am scumreading Azorius, RR, and vettrock because of my thoughts on the posts they made.

Can you explain these a little more?

In post 347, shrike wrote:Sidequestion: Are there stats on whether mafia is more or less likely to replace out than village?

There are!
I linked it in the Newbie Queue pretty recently so I'm not going to go look for it right this second, but it's there!

thx vettrock

In post 350, vettrock wrote:It is important for both scum and town to try and look town. If you are town and you don't care or defend yourself, you are likely to be mislynched, and that doesn't help town. When town spends more effort trying to look town rather than finding scum, that is a problem. Some people take this more seriously than others, and some people have a much higher threshold for when they just give up, or keep fighting.

I try not to tell Newbies to try to look Town because they always seem to do it in the scummiest possible way.

But yes.

Explain your reads please.
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:00 am

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 351, vettrock wrote:
Sidequestion: Are there stats on whether mafia is more or less likely to replace out than village?

Mafia is significantly more likely to replace out of Newbie games.
Stats are here.

I'm not sure we want to jump on and apply that here since TIMU seems mostly town to me. Performer also seems town.

This IS quite interesting. You're right in that TIMU looks Town, but perhaps this merits closer scrutiny, especially considering a few people, myself included, found Mort a bit strange D1...
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:38 am

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 61, MortFeld wrote:Just because I'm new, I'm wondering what gives someone a town read. From my understanding, if there's a particular action someone can take, scum could also take that action and appear town. I thought town reads came from a lack of doing scummy things.

Unless you just meant I haven't posted much. I've been traveling.

This D1 post is the scummiest Mort post to me.

"Just because I'm new"
Sounds just a bit strange to open with, but okay, he's new.

But then he asks "what gives someone a Town read?"
As Vettrock and I have said, Town DOES want to look Town. But it seems to me a better question would be asking about scum reads. That way the information can be used to scumhunt as well as avoid looking scum yourself.

Which brings me to a more general point.

I don't think that Town should censor themselves or engineer Town-like posts. Defending yourself is one thing. Altering yourself is quite another.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:42 am

Post by Radical Rat »

That's tempered by the fact that TIMU is looking really, really good since his arrival though. Like... Strongest Town read aside from GM good.
AzoriusSenate
AzoriusSenate
Goon
AzoriusSenate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Post by AzoriusSenate »

In post 356, Radical Rat wrote:That's tempered by the fact that TIMU is looking really, really good since his arrival though. Like... Strongest Town read aside from GM good.

TIMU isn't looking THAT good. Can you explain why you tr TIMU to the point of comparing TIMU to confirmed town?
Plains and Islands
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 357, AzoriusSenate wrote:
In post 356, Radical Rat wrote:That's tempered by the fact that TIMU is looking really, really good since his arrival though. Like... Strongest Town read aside from GM good.

TIMU isn't looking THAT good. Can you explain why you tr TIMU to the point of comparing TIMU to confirmed town?

It's an attitude thing. They feel like Town.
AzoriusSenate
AzoriusSenate
Goon
AzoriusSenate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:36 pm

Post by AzoriusSenate »

In post 358, Radical Rat wrote:

I feel like you might be town spewing. Does anyone else agree?
Plains and Islands
shrike
shrike
Goon
shrike
Goon
Goon

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Post by shrike »

In post 359, AzoriusSenate wrote:

I don't know what town spewing is, but I don't like how much RR bases his reads off gut instinct which he can't justify.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:53 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 360, shrike wrote:
I don't know what town spewing is, but I don't like how much RR bases his reads off gut instinct which he can't justify.

I THINK it means I'm just spewing out Town reads. Which is... inaccurate, to say the least.

I too wish I had more justification on my reads, but every time I don't trust my gut, I regret it later. An example can even be seen in this game, where I said my first instinct was that PC was Town, but thought "better" of it. I'll quote that post in a second.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 41, Radical Rat wrote:
The only motivation, Scum or Town, I can think of for PC's actions( You're welcome to refute this if my explanation is wrong by the way ), is an attempt to make friends. People like to be complimented, and I'll admit, my first instinct when I saw him say I was a strong town read was that he must have been Town as well. But then my SECOND instinct was that it went far too smoothly. He didn't even stop to explain his "true" motive behind that vote until I directly questioned him.

Here. Had I listened to that first instinct, we might not have had a mislynch D1.
Though it is awfully presumptuous of me to assume responsibility for an entire lynch, I did start that wagon and was easily its strongest pusher.
This is my username
This is my username
Goon
This is my username
Goon
Goon

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Post by This is my username »

It doesn't take much to go after someone
other than
RR. You have to search a few minutes for a new case but you're really tunneling him even if you are voting for someone else. It's starting to get a bit suspicious. I would say the same of RR but when you're constantly pushing a case against him it's hard for him
not
to focus on you.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Post by goodmorning »

In post 357, AzoriusSenate wrote:TIMU isn't looking THAT good.

I have to say I agree with you there.

Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:28 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 364, goodmorning wrote:
In post 357, AzoriusSenate wrote:TIMU isn't looking THAT good.

I have to say I agree with you there.

Shrugs
He looks more Town than the rest of this lot.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Post by goodmorning »

That may also be true.

AzoriusSenate
AzoriusSenate
Goon
AzoriusSenate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:25 am

Post by AzoriusSenate »

In post 363, This is my username wrote:

other than
RR. You have to search a few minutes for a new case but you're really tunneling him even if you are voting for someone else. It's starting to get a bit suspicious. I would say the same of RR but when you're constantly pushing a case against him it's hard for him
not
to focus on you.

I AM voting on RR right now. Is there something wrong with putting pressure on people? IMO if we sit back and do NOTHING this game other than pat each other on the back for town reads we ARE GOING TO LOSE. So don't tell me that I'm suspicious when I am the most townie here besides GM.
Plains and Islands
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 am

Post by goodmorning »

seriously where the hell is vettrock

Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 am

Post by Performer »

@Performer
You voted for Azorius on day one without providing much justification. Do you mind going into your vote on him and explain how you see him now?

@shrike Azor – his post looked like he knows exactly who’s town and who’s not. His pg 5-6 interactions with me however, didn't cause me to scumread him as heavily as I was scumreading Shrike.

His interactions on pg 15 in d2, moved me to put him in my townread pile – those came across as genuinely frustrated town to me.
-----
gm I'd like your input on the following 3, as you said this about them before:
your townread for Mort was based on tone of his posts
you townread Radical
you townread Ai because he was coming across as newb town

Anything changed on your reads of them, and why?
I’m an informed Miller who knows there isn’t any Loyal modifiers and there is a total of 4 scum.
-Morality
I'm easily the best person in the game at mechanics. I don't presume to be the best at anything else.
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Performer »

Who I'm most uncomfortable with being lynched for today's phase: gm, Azor, Radical.

AzoriusSenate, and Radical Rat are my top scumreads right now. I don't think they are scum together though due to their interactions. I'm not sure which one is the scum.

Why are TiMU and I town?

Why are Azor & Radical your scumreads?
I’m an informed Miller who knows there isn’t any Loyal modifiers and there is a total of 4 scum.
-Morality
I'm easily the best person in the game at mechanics. I don't presume to be the best at anything else.
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:59 am

Post by Performer »

I am also scumreading Ai - he voted Azor on d1 and voted me on d2. Also, I've been through his ISO and his posts are still not making me too comfortable. However, I think vet and the Mort slot look most fishy at the moment.

@moderator I will have limited access to FM this week because I am preparing for my CPC exam, on 12/19
-Morality
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Performer
Performer
Mafia Scum
Performer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:02 am

Post by Performer »

Also, here is the d1 ending vote count, as well as the most recent vote count for d2, in case anyone wants to partake in VCA:

Votecount 1.08 (end of d1)

PhantomCobalt (5) Radical Rat; vettrock; MortFeld; shrike; goodmorning;
AzoriusSenate (2) ai_shuuu; PhantomCobalt;
vettrock (0)
shrike (1) Performer;
Radical Rat (0)
MortFeld (0)
Performer (0)
ai_shuuu (0)
goodmorning (0)

Not voting: AzoriusSenate;

*Azor stated he was going to hammer after seeing gm's counterclaim, but gm got to it while he was catching up with posts

Votecount 2.03

AzoriusSenate (2) Radical Rat; This is my username;
vettrock (2) goodmorning; Performer;
This is my username (1) shrike;
Performer (1) ai_shuuu;
Radical Rat (1) AzoriusSenate;
shrike (0)
ai_shuuu (0)
goodmorning (0)

Not voting: vettrock;
-Morality
-Jingle
People tried
-RadiantCowbells
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:16 am

Post by Radical Rat »

In post 367, AzoriusSenate wrote:

other than
not
to focus on you.

I AM voting on RR right now. Is there something wrong with putting pressure on people? IMO if we sit back and do NOTHING this game other than pat each other on the back for town reads we ARE GOING TO LOSE. So don't tell me that I'm suspicious when I am the most townie here besides GM.

1. No one told you to do nothing. Just to stop tunneling me. In fact, you WERE told to apply pressure to literally anyone else.

2. Of course YOU say you're the most Townie.

I swear, if I could vote you twice....
AzoriusSenate
AzoriusSenate
Goon
AzoriusSenate
Goon
Goon

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:10 am

Post by AzoriusSenate »

In post 373, Radical Rat wrote:
In post 367, AzoriusSenate wrote:

other than
not
to focus on you.

1. No one told you to do nothing. Just to stop tunneling me. In fact, you WERE told to apply pressure to literally anyone else.

2. Of course YOU say you're the most Townie.

I swear, if I could vote you twice....

Your reads are jumping back and forth on me. First you say this might be town on town and now you're saying you want to vote on me twice. Which one is it?

------------------

To focus on some other people for a moment, I think Vettrock has been lurking way too hard for my tastes.
Ai has definitely fallen off for me. I don't really know what to say other than Ai's D1 seemed fine but D2 has been not good.
I think I like shrike as town for now along with GM as town.
Plains and Islands

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”