Blitz Queue Trial (Closed)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:27 am

Post by Rob14 »

Automated queue? :P
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 am

Post by Equinox »

Post-game surveys were finally sent out! Sorry to everyone who received duplicate messages. If you want to opt-out, shoot me a PM and you'll be subscribed to Cat Facts instead, but you won't receive survey requests anymore.

Moderators can request aggregated scores for their games at any time, and a report will be sent about a week after the survey PM was sent (or when everyone has opened their PM). If you don't want your game surveyed, PM me as soon as possible.

Thanks!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:12 am

Post by zoraster »

Incorrect. Your favorite animal is <dog>.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:51 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 222, zoraster wrote:Right now, my primary concern is that we're not getting enough mods.

Suggestion: offer apprenticeships. A new mod co-mods with an established mod for a game in order to learn all the technical stuff. Personally I've considered modding and would probably do so but I don't know what the learning curve is like. Or maybe you just need to create a thread (or promote one if it exists already) that explains how it all works, best practices, etc. Just stuff like setting up the mafia and other private threads - I don't know if someone teaches first timers that or not.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Post by SirCakez »

I think a barrier to getting new mods is the big wait time to being able to actually mod your first game. There's the three months on site requirement first, then you have to join either the Open or Mini Normal queue to mod your first game and both of those can take months to get through on top of the initial three month wait time. Joining the open queue right now to mod your first game looks pretty depressing because you'll be waiting 3+ months to be able to actually mod.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:41 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I personally see modding games as more of a public service than anything and only sign up when the mod queue is looking thin.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:12 am

Post by Rob14 »

In post 229, SirCakez wrote:I think a barrier to getting new mods is the big wait time to being able to actually mod your first game. There's the three months on site requirement first, then you have to join either the Open or Mini Normal queue to mod your first game and both of those can take months to get through on top of the initial three month wait time. Joining the open queue right now to mod your first game looks pretty depressing because you'll be waiting 3+ months to be able to actually mod.

I agree with this, and I see no reason why we shouldn't allow someone to join the Normal or Open Queue when they're 6 weeks in with a note that says when they're available to mod (which would be at the three months mark).
itlepip
itlepip
Mafia Scum
itlepip
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Post by itlepip »

Why don't we let newbie mods mod blitzes since those games generally don't have about as much going on in them as a micro or mini.
Rob14
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Rob14
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm

Post by Rob14 »

Because the Newbie games are explicitly to teach newbies the game, which takes time.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Post by fferyllt »

What are the next steps and what do you think the timings will be?
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Post by zoraster »

Two very good questions. Right now I want to allow games to finish and then try to assemble the data we have. I've been keeping track periodically of the player counts in both the blitz queue and elsewhere, but Equinox has also been keeping track of survey results. Once we have that, I think we can speak more intelligently. My general thought is that we'll probably develop some sort of plan, let players comment on it, then revise that plan.

The timeline is going to depend on what kind of solution we start to think is appropriate. If it's simply "put Blitz queue in" or "don't put Blitz queue in" then it probably doesn't take that long all told as we really only end up debating the merits of a Blitz-specific queue. If we want to try to rearrange the queue structure more dramatically then it increases our variables in play as well as likely increases the number of people who will feel strongly about the proposal, which will make the comment portion take longer.

Sorry I can't give a better answer than that at the moment, but hopefully it'll become clearer as we move forward.
pignash
pignash
Goon
pignash
Goon
Goon

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Post by pignash »

Thanks Equinox for running the blitz queue trial!
Completed MS games (10-6):

Town: Blitz 2(+), Blitz 6(+), Blitz 8(+), Newbie 1660(-), NY 191 (+), Blitz 23 (-), Blitz 26 (+)
Scum: NY 190(+), Mini 1729(+), Mini 1735(+), Newbie 1665 (+), Open 615 (-), Blitz 16(-), Newbie 1671 (+), Blitz 19 (-), Newbie 1675 (-)
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Post by lane0168 »

I really love the blitz games. Its especially good for players like me that don't want to sift through pages upon pages looking for content.

I wish I could be a viable mod earlier than waiting on my open. I would have for sure signed up to mod blitz games exclusively, assuming I was a good mod.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Post by davesaz »

Strongly in favor of having a blitz option of some kind.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 237, lane0168 wrote:I really love the blitz games. Its especially good for players like me that don't want to sift through pages upon pages looking for content.

I wish I could be a viable mod earlier than waiting on my open. I would have for sure signed up to mod blitz games exclusively, assuming I was a good mod.

The blitz i was in lasted over a hundred pages. the only real difference between it and a mini was that we had those 100 pages in a couple weeks instead of over the course of a couple months.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Post by lane0168 »

Exactly, so it is fresh in your mind all the time. I can remember what I read yesterday and who said what. Or 5 pages on a day. I can't remember 5 pages over the course of a week
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Post by Plotinus »

oh. I find the slower that i read stuff, the better it sticks with me. too much information in a short period of time is overwhelming.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:18 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 240, lane0168 wrote:Exactly, so it is fresh in your mind all the time. I can remember what I read yesterday and who said what. Or 5 pages on a day. I can't remember 5 pages over the course of a week

My experience says otherwise. When the pace of the game is insanely fast, it becomes that much harder to get town to come together since everyone's timeline of the game is distorted to different lengths. The overly active people have a very long timeline and the less active people have a much shorter timeline.

EDIT: As further proof of this statement, I've been called a lurker in some of my most objectively active games (10-20+ posts a day) solely because a half dozen people were posting 80+ a day and drowning everyone out.
Ranger
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
{Top Tier}
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:54 am

Post by Ranger »

Ankamius wrote: When the pace of the game is insanely fast, it becomes that much harder to get town to come together since everyone's timeline of the game is distorted to different lengths.
And yet, of the 21 completed blitzes (I'm excluding Lawless, which was cancelled), 12 have been town wins: just about half, what would be expected. And even in the losses, at least four of them were close games where any faction had a chance of winning. (Though I also know at least two or three of the town losses were in setups that were explicitly scum-sided.)

It's definitely manageable. I quite like the Blitz format. It's actually going to feel painful now that there aren't any new blitzes for me to start playing with that much longer deadline. People have this silly habit of dragging games on to their two-week deadlines when you generally need less than half that for a productive day.
AKA, rBree2. Casual tryhard. I've Quite the RANGE. #pluralgang
"Interestingly though, town winrate in Blitzes has been really high."
- RadiantCowbells |
"Ranger's been town in most of them."
- Plotinus
"Ranger fake claiming? I'm shocked"
- usesPython
Game History
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:59 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 243, Ranger wrote:
Ankamius wrote: When the pace of the game is insanely fast, it becomes that much harder to get town to come together since everyone's timeline of the game is distorted to different lengths.
And yet, of the 21 completed blitzes (I'm excluding Lawless, which was cancelled), 12 have been town wins: just about half, what would be expected. And even in the losses, at least four of them were close games where any faction had a chance of winning. (Though I also know at least two or three of the town losses were in setups that were explicitly scum-sided.)

It's definitely manageable. I quite like the Blitz format. It's actually going to feel painful now that there aren't any new blitzes for me to start playing with that much longer deadline. People have this silly habit of dragging games on to their two-week deadlines when you generally need less than half that for a productive day.

this

gonna miss it
third best scummer of all time
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:11 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 243, Ranger wrote:

The flip side is that the shorter deadlines make it harder for scum to stall out of bad positions if they get caught out early.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:40 pm

Post by Lucky2u »

since the que closed I don't have anyone to put this but...

Blitz 24 ended
happily ever after (3 way tie)
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
HeatherA
HeatherA
Townie
HeatherA
Townie
Townie

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 am

Post by HeatherA »

Damn. I've been registered on this site for years, but only played two games because a "day" that lasted for 3 weeks was just plain ridiculous. Finally you guys bring in some sensible day lengths, and I missed it!

Will the Blitz style be coming back? Please?

Where I play, day is usually 48 to 72 hours and that's plenty long enough for anyone.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:08 am

Post by Klazam »

not for i. my schedule limits me to 1-3 posts per rl day

but i heartily support this queue
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

This queue was one of the best ones of MS

I wasn't playing mafia for a long time and when I joined MS this queue was running. Existence of such a queue for people who can post more is soo nice. If this quoue exists I can invite some offsite friends to play MS as well.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”