Newbie 1675: Resolution Mafia - GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:23 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

GG!
Speed don't lie.
CC
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:39 am

Post by KickAssAndGiggle »

Well played all. :)

I want to give big kudos to pignash and Drixx, who frankly had me doubting myself over and over again (I may not have posted like it but you can be sure: I was wavering at times). I have to especially say to Drixx: you managed to get three people to vote for Accountant on D3 for a while with your "It's a frame up" argument. One could almost call that a miracle!!! I really hope we play on the same team next time: I think the way you fought for your win condition when it was getting bleak was superb.

Your job was made soooo hard by Lowell: his 2nd post was suspicious, but by itself, not a "tell". But then, having posted it, he asked to be replaced. Now, this is not, again, a firm "tell", but it meant my suspicion on the pignash slot was "unshakeable". I knew I was tracking that slot N1 before pignash even replaced in.

I think we (town) were lucky(ish) on D1: now we know Drixx was scum, it must have been a toss-up for their team between AI and myself as to who was the PR. Unfortunately for you chaps, you flipped tails. :)

My assessment of my own play:

If I had NOT announced I was tracking Drixx, he might have killed Christopher. Of course, if I HAD tracked him unannounced, we would have caught him had he done so. I felt that Christopher would be most amenable to voting with me, so I made the call. Looking back, it's probably a push: one method was no better than the other. But I think next time I'll choose the more "conventional" style.

I am very pleased though, that my first read list was spot on. My only regret is joining the Nictherat wagon on D1: I should have held out. But the day was dragging and it was hard to get consensus.

Thanks for hosting fferyllt, and to Drixx (again) for his IC role. :)
It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't
force
you to be right...
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:50 am

I just read the scum chat. Just to be clear pignash, I genuinely was not trying to insult you when I suggested you would have discussed the self-hammer: I assumed you'd do so as a courtesy. Of course, the assumption could have been wrong (you posted but I think you hammered before you saw Drixx's reply...so it seemingly was), but it was a "balance of probabilities" decision for me to bring it up. Definitely no offense was intended.
force
you to be right...
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 am

Post by Radical Rat »

Well, how about that!

Now that it won't clog up the chat, I can see where I went wrong keeping Pignash alive. Though if I'm ever in a game with a cop, JK, RBer, etc... I'm gonna try that again.

I still dislike Accountant's playstyle, but I guess that's just that: playstyle. And I shouldn't have let that influence my reads so much.

And shout out to fferyt for hosting this wonderful game!
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Drixx, I wonder, why didn't you kill someone else, like KAAG, instead of me? You could have easily framed me. I was doing terrible as town. Besides, I was townreading you, so you could have gotten away with it without me realizing you were scum.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:43 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

Still can't believe town-Nictherat said: "Anything else I should have said or picked up on?"

I was so convinced he copied that. It made absolutely no sense as town. And yet, he was.
"You've been furthering the win condition of the Mafia even better than the Mafia." - Dierfire
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:34 am

Post by Drixx »

Yeah ... those are the things scum use to get innocent people killed. I was seriously concerned with the slip by my partner and replace out. I went pretty heavy on the "no way an experienced player does that" playbook because it kind of felt like a hail mary right from the start this game. Once day two came around and I realized it was a tracker with a doctor (for a moment I mistook which setups were possible and thought he was actually BP and I could kill KaaG then go after Christopher for claiming doc and KaaG dying ... you can see in the mafia chat), it was basically over.

I actually thought KaaG's vote was the hammer on me. I wouldn't have posted what I did if I had realized it wasn't the hammer. That was supposed to up the drama for what I thought was going to be a game over at any moment kind of situation. Sorry about that.

Well played all.

As a note for the future KaaG: I've seen town do exactly what I did this game. I've seen it a lot. You won't always be seeing a scum slip and a scum partner doing his best to save it when you see something like that. Learn to discern when it's real from when it's a TvT mess, and you'll be one of the best on the site. Well done.
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:07 am

Learn to discern when it's real from when it's a TvT mess, and you'll be one of the best on the site. Well done.

Thank you. :) Although with players such as AlwaysInnocent about, I doubt I'll ever be one of the best: I literally had no clue whether he was town or scum, until his death flavor.

Interestingly, considering I've played 12 - 15 games of Mafia stretching back to 2002/2003, I've only ever been scum once, and that was years ago. I suspect I will not be so good there: I'm a terrible liar! :)
force
you to be right...
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:11 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 582, KickAssAndGiggle wrote:
Learn to discern when it's real from when it's a TvT mess, and you'll be one of the best on the site. Well done.

Thank you. :) Although with players such as AlwaysInnocent about, I doubt I'll ever be one of the best: I literally had no clue whether he was town or scum, until his death flavor.

Interestingly, considering I've played 12 - 15 games of Mafia stretching back to 2002/2003, I've only ever been scum once, and that was years ago. I suspect I will not be so good there: I'm a terrible liar! :)

Playing scum requires all the tools to play good as town, but with a ruthless efficiency in application. Everything I posted in this game was reasonable, which is why it took you so long to decide to go with the lynch on me, even though you
knew
that the game wasn't even at stake. Imagine how much more pressure you would have felt if today had been LYLO.
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:12 am

Post by Drixx »

I hope you stay and play regularly here KaaG. Would be nice to see you in some of the large theme games (I tend to play in the newbie queue and in the large theme queue).
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:22 am

Yeah, I'll be staying for some more games, for sure. Like I said on page 1, I found myself enjoying the Mafia games on other forums more than using the forum for its "primary" purpose, so it makes sense to play where people take it more seriously.

Hopefully we can hunt some scum together next time...or plot the town's downfall. Muahahaha.
force
you to be right...
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Post by Christopher »

Fantastic work, all!

AI-- In hindsight, I loved your day 1 play. It was very helpful going into day 2. If you had been alive on day 2 I'm not sure I could have avoided FOSing you!

Nictherat-- I didn't want to admit it during the day, but I thought he was soft-claiming either cop or tracker. When he was the first to ask about night roles, I knew that if he survived the day that he was my doc target. When AI wagoned Nictherat, I thought he picked-up on the cop/tracker claim, too. If AI was alive on day 2, that would have just given me even more of a reason to BW AI.

Going to read the dead/maf chat soon, but I just wanted to say to everyone thanks for making my first game on here so enjoyable. Here's to many more games!

(Just want to point out that my post 307 nailed it--either Drixx or KAAG was maf, but not both, and the town-aligned person helped to nail the scum. Good read by me!)
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

To be honest, Lowell's slip could have meant anything. This is why I decided to ignore Lowell eventually.

I should have been more careful with Nictherat, but I really thought there was no doubt about it that he was scum. See how wrong I was by misinterpreting Nictherat's "slip"?

It could just as easily have been a false positive in Lowell's case. What if he had a town PR and felt that a "true" newbie should be playing one?
pignash
pignash
Goon
pignash
Goon
Goon

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Post by pignash »

Well played everyone. Sorry about getting angry in scum chat KAAG. Just frustrated I got tracked and thought you were going to catch drixx for something that was wrong.
Completed MS games (10-6):

Town: Blitz 2(+), Blitz 6(+), Blitz 8(+), Newbie 1660(-), NY 191 (+), Blitz 23 (-), Blitz 26 (+)
Scum: NY 190(+), Mini 1729(+), Mini 1735(+), Newbie 1665 (+), Open 615 (-), Blitz 16(-), Newbie 1671 (+), Blitz 19 (-), Newbie 1675 (-)
Christopher
Christopher
Goon
Christopher
Goon
Goon

Post Post #589 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Post by Christopher »

On day 1, I read through some of your previous games, Pignash. I feel so bad that you got lynched day 1 because you open up so much more after the first day!
pignash
pignash
Goon
pignash
Goon
Goon

Post Post #590 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Post by pignash »

Yeah I suck at day 1. I'm not awesome after that but it's my biggest weakness right now.
Completed MS games (10-6):

Town: Blitz 2(+), Blitz 6(+), Blitz 8(+), Newbie 1660(-), NY 191 (+), Blitz 23 (-), Blitz 26 (+)
Scum: NY 190(+), Mini 1729(+), Mini 1735(+), Newbie 1665 (+), Open 615 (-), Blitz 16(-), Newbie 1671 (+), Blitz 19 (-), Newbie 1675 (-)
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #591 (ISO) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Post by Accountant »

MVP: KAAG. Magnificent Tracker play and analysis.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
KickAssAndGiggle
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
KickAssAndGiggle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #592 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:44 am

In post 591, Accountant wrote:MVP: KAAG. Magnificent Tracker play and analysis.

Thank you. :)

I see AI saying that the Lowell "tell" might not have been a tell, as in:

What if he had a town PR and felt that a "true" newbie should be playing one?

For me, Mafia is a game of probabilities, a bit like poker. Rarely is one 100% sure (although some people post like they are, but sometimes that's an act).

Were there possible innocent explanations? Yes, for sure. But on balance of probabilities, it was suspicious. And on D1, nothing else made me MORE suspicious of anyone, so tracking pignash was natural.

Here's how I see it:

If you lose your keys that you usually hang on a hook by the front door, but you know you had them when you came in last night, there are 2 possibilities:

A) You've put them somewhere silly while being absent-minded
B) Someone used a coat-hanger to steal them through your letter box and they are planning to rob you at a later date

Both are
POSSIBLE
, but one is obviously more likely: otherwise you'd phone the cops every time you lost your keys! ;) WiFOM reasoning assumes two equally likely possibilities: it is not relevant when one scenario much more likely than another.
force
you to be right...
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #593 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 am

Post by Accountant »

I think Drixx played very well. He was surprisingly hard to lynch.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #594 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:07 am

Post by Radical Rat »

Are you implying you DON'T call the cops every time you lose your keys?
AlwaysInnocent
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
AlwaysInnocent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #595 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:14 am

Post by AlwaysInnocent »

In post 592, KickAssAndGiggle wrote:
In post 591, Accountant wrote:MVP: KAAG. Magnificent Tracker play and analysis.

Thank you. :)

I see AI saying that the Lowell "tell" might not have been a tell, as in:

What if he had a town PR and felt that a "true" newbie should be playing one?

For me, Mafia is a game of probabilities, a bit like poker. Rarely is one 100% sure (although some people post like they are, but sometimes that's an act).

Were there possible innocent explanations? Yes, for sure. But on balance of probabilities, it was suspicious. And on D1, nothing else made me MORE suspicious of anyone, so tracking pignash was natural.

Here's how I see it:

If you lose your keys that you usually hang on a hook by the front door, but you know you had them when you came in last night, there are 2 possibilities:

A) You've put them somewhere silly while being absent-minded
B) Someone used a coat-hanger to steal them through your letter box and they are planning to rob you at a later date

Both are
POSSIBLE
, but one is obviously more likely: otherwise you'd phone the cops every time you lost your keys! ;) WiFOM reasoning assumes two equally likely possibilities: it is not relevant when one scenario much more likely than another.
I agree with your reasoning about probabilities and the keys example. However, I do not think you can justifiably say that wanting to replace out to give others a chance is more likely to come from scum than town without backing it up with statistics. The probabilities are not always known.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #596 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Post by Accountant »

I still don't think Lowell's townread was worth lynching, even after knowing he's scum. Worth a track though. And it paid off.

Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #597 (ISO) » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Post by Mina »

Goodbye.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”