Newbie 1688 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1688 (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:03 am

Post by Zaicon »

Newbie 1688

Welcome to Newbie 1688! The Mafia has infiltrated your town and killed the mayor!
It's up to you to discover the identities of the bad guys and bring peace back to your home!

Moderator:
Zaicon

Player List:

1)
Accountant
[IC]
2)
callforjudgement
Spinlock

3)
GuiltyLion
[SE]
4)
Not_Mafia
heyboxgaminig, kingcod
[SE]
5)
PrivateI
hi im Yakko
[SE]
6)
RadiantCowbells
SmokingBianco, aa-dono

7)
Rhett99
BlacleWorks, robbylet2

8)
shannon
The MM, southernoutlaw2199

9)
UpTooLate
Shisou, Edgedancer, Fancypants12

[SE] denotes a Semi-Experienced player.
[IC] denotes a Inexperience Challenged player. This player is here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Spoiler: Living Players
1) GuiltyLion
Mafia Goon

Spoiler: Dead Players
1) Not_Mafia
Vanilla Townie
Lynched Day 1.

2) PrivateI
Vanilla Townie
Lynched Day 2.

3) RadiantCowbells
Town Doctor
Killed Night 2.

4) Accountant
Mafia Goon
Lynched Day 3.

5) callforjudgement
Town Tracker
Killed Night 3.

6) shannon
Vanilla Townie
Killed Night 4.

7) UpTooLate
Vanilla Townie
Lynched Day 5.

8) Rhett99
Vanilla Townie
Endgamed.

Game Links:

Day 1 | Night 1
Day 2 | Night 2
Day 3 | Night 3
Day 4 | Night 4
Day 5
Game Over
Last edited by Zaicon on Sun May 08, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:03 am

Post by Zaicon »

Game Rules

All Forum Rules and Guidelines should be followed, along with the following rules.

Game Timeline

• Day phases will last two weeks.
  • Night phases will last two days.

General Rules

• Do not quote your role PM or any other PM/QT communication from the mod.
  • Do not contact any player in or outside of the game about the game.
  • Do not use encrypted or hard-to-see text (including "invisible" text, text below the 50% text size option, or text hidden via BBCode (not including spoilered text)).
  • Do not edit or delete posts in this thread. If you made a formatting mistake, I will fix it for you (if it doesn't change the content of the post).

Activity

• If a player doesn't post in-game after a period of 48 hours, other players may request a prod of that player.
  • If a player doesn't post in-game after a period of 72 hours and another player hasn't made a request, I will prod that player.
  • If a player is prodded, that player has 24 hours to make an in-game post before a replacement will be found.
  • If a player receives multiple prods and/or prod-dodges excessively, that player will be subject to a force-replace.
  • If you are going to be absent for a specific period of time, please let me know ahead of time!

Votes and Lynching

• Votes must be in the format of VOTE: Player Name or
    VOTE: Player Name
    . Abbreviations, missing punctuation, and misspellings will be accepted as long as it is obvious to me who is being voted for. If I perceive it as a vote, it will count as a vote.
  • Unvotes are not necessary to change a vote.
  • A player will be lynched if a majority of the players have voted for that player.
  • You may vote for a
    No Lynch
    . If a majority of players vote for a No Lynch, the game will proceed to Night without a lynch.
  • All living players, including the lynchee, may continue to post until I lock the thread.
  • Once I have posted your death scene, you may not post ("bah" posts are not allowed).

Behavior

• Harassment of an individual player is NOT permitted. While this is a competitive game, no personal attacks will be tolerated.
  • Always play to your win condition.
  • Do not discuss this game anywhere else with anyone else unless your role allows you to.
Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:04 am

Post by Zaicon »

Game Setup

This game is using the standard Newbie Game setup, Matrix6. One row or one column will be randomly chosen from the table below and the remaining six roles will be filled in by Mafia Goons and Vanilla Townies as appropriate to create a total of 2 Mafia-aligned players and 7 Town-aligned players.

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

Please note:
  • The Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the actions are submitted.
  • In applicable situations, a Roleblocker's action will resolve before a Jailkeeper's action.
  • In applicable situations, a Mafia Roleblocker has the option of submitting both roleblocks and kills, even when the Mafia Goon is still alive.

Spoiler: List of Role PMs
Role PM wrote:You are a
Vanilla Townie

Abilities

• During the Day, you may vote for whomever you want lynched.
  • During the Night, you may sleep.

Win Condition

• You win when all threats to the Town are eliminated and at least one Town-aligned player is still alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to PM me. Please confirm your participation in this game by responding to this PM with your role name. The game thread is here.

Town Cop

Abilities

• During the Night, you may investigate one player by sending me the name of your target via PM. At the end of the Night, you will receive a result in the form of
    You believe [target] to be [Guilty/Not Guilty]
    . If you did not successfully investigate someone, you will receive
    No Result

Win Condition

• You win when all threats to the Town are eliminated and at least one Town-aligned player is still alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to PM me. Please confirm your participation in this game by responding to this PM with your role name. The game thread is here.

Town Doctor

Abilities

• During the Night, you may protect one player by sending me the name of your target via PM. You may not target yourself. You will not be informed as to the result of your protection.

Win Condition

Town Jailkeeper

Abilities

• During the Night, you may place one player in Jail by sending me the name of your target via PM. They will be protected from kills and prevented from using their own ability, if they have one. You cannot target yourself.

Win Condition

Town Tracker

Abilities

• During the Night, you may track one player by sending me the name of your target via PM. At the end of the Night, you will be told if that player targeted anyone and whom that player targeted.

Win Condition

Town 1-Shot Bulletproof

Abilities

• You will survive the first kill attempt made on you during the Night. You will not be informed if and when this happens.

Win Condition

Mafia Goon
with your partner, name (
role
).

Abilities

• As a team, the Mafia may kill one player per Night by sending posting on the Mafia thread or sending me a PM with your target and which one of you will be performing the kill.
  • You may talk to your partner
    at any time, including the Day phase,
    in this thread.

Win Condition

• You win when the Town is eliminated and at least one Mafia-aligned player is still alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Mafia Roleblocker
with your partner, name (
Mafia Goon
).

Abilities

• Individually, you may roleblock one player by sending me the name of your target via the Mafia thread or by PM. You may both roleblock and kill during the same Night.
  • As a team, the Mafia may kill one player per Night by posting on the Mafia thread or by sending me a PM with your target and which one of you will be performing the kill.
  • You may talk to your partner
    at any time, including the Day phase,
    in this thread.

Win Condition

• You win when the Town is eliminated and at least one Mafia-aligned player is still alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:01 am

Post by Zaicon »

Update: I have 6/9 player confirmations right now. The game will start when I receive a total of 8/9 confirmations.

I'm searching for replacements for anyone who hasn't confirmed by this point.
Zaicon
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Zaicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 am

Post by Zaicon »

With 9/9 confirmed, the game can begin!

Vote Count 1.0

No Vote (9):
aa-dono, Accountant, Fancypants12, GuiltyLion, heyboxgaminig, PrivateI, robbylet2, Spinlock, The MM

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch!

Deadline is Wednesday, March 16, at 8:00 AM CST, which is in (expired on 2016-03-16 08:00:00).
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 am

Post by PrivateI »

Checking in because I love you.

I haven't played in awhile, so if scum could go ahead and slip now, I'd totes appreciate it.

Also, if you have questions for one of your resident SE's, I am always here for you. <3 <3

Accountant
because there's only room for one accountant in this game.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Vote: Accountant
bc i can't read rulez.
heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by heyboxgaminig »

Howdy! I'm Heyboxgaminig. Heyboxgaminig the SE
Hmmm...
You're new to the UNDERGROUND, aren'tcha?
Golly, you must be so confused.
Someone ought to teach you how things work around here!
I guess little old me will have to do.
Ready? Here we go!

Currently we are in RVS, that stands for "Random Voting Stage" ya hear?

But before I Vote, i would love to know peoples experience with mafia, whether it be on this site, or another!

And remember, in this world, its KILL or BE KILLED.

*Italics for flavor*
robbylet2
robbylet2
Townie
robbylet2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Post by robbylet2 »

I've played some on EpicMafia before, but I have never played on an asychronus forum. Nice undertale reference, I trust you on that alone.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

I used to play town of salem, and I got to be pretty good at it imo, now I just play here and it's much harder. I have maybe 20 completed games?

VOTE: heyboxgaminig
because that dastardly little flower has already fooled me once
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Post by heyboxgaminig »

In post 9, GuiltyLion wrote:I used to play town of salem, and I got to be pretty good at it imo, now I just play here and it's much harder. I have maybe 20 completed games?

I find that Town of Salem players tend to be faster on there judgment then others.
Mainly due to how the game is played, that being a much faster play style.
Good to know. Welcome :D
Fancypants12
Fancypants12
Townie
Fancypants12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Post by Fancypants12 »

Hello! I've played quite a bit of EpicMafia. I got tired of it because there was not a whole lot of analysis into people posts, it was just "Oh the cop said x is mafia, we will lynch him now". This is my first forum game.

VOTE: heyboxgaminig because Flowey has caused me enough pain already.
heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Post by heyboxgaminig »

In post 8, robbylet2 wrote:I've played some on EpicMafia before, but I have never played on an asychronus forum. Nice undertale reference, I trust you on that alone.

You will fit right in :) Thank you, I pride myself on my flavoring. (Asian spice exclusively, in terms of delicious delicious ramen)
Fancypants12
Fancypants12
Townie
Fancypants12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Post by Fancypants12 »

In post 12, heyboxgaminig wrote:

You will fit right in :) Thank you, I pride myself on my flavoring. (Asian spice exclusively, in terms of delicious delicious ramen)

Hey man, I like flavoring as much as the next guy. Sorry if I came on a little strong, but in my book if you quote Flowey, you're gonna have a bad time.
heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Post by heyboxgaminig »

In post 13, Fancypants12 wrote:
In post 12, heyboxgaminig wrote:

Hey man, I like flavoring as much as the next guy. Sorry if I came on a little strong, but in my book if you quote Flowey, you're gonna have a bad time.

Oh that was goood. :P

You get my vote just for that ;) Consider it a privilege Neh he he he.

VOTE: Fancypants12
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Post by Accountant »

VOTE: Spinlock
The only other player in this game with a cool name.

IC post coming up.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 pm

Post by Accountant »

Hi, I’m Accountant, your friendly neighbourhood Inexperience-Challenged player, or IC. This means that I have a few games under my belt, so I know the ins and outs of mafia and can show you the ropes. For those of you who hate reading long rants, or have read a similar post already, check out the link:
A Beginner’s Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia
Anyway, as the IC, it’s my job to teach you theory concepts, which means I will never lie about theory questions. When I answer those questions, I will be typing in this color (red), so you know I’m wearing my IC hat and not my <insert alignment here> hat.
Before we start the game proper, I’d like to cover a few key concepts.

Hammering, Lynching and L-1

When the number of votes on a player exceeds half the number of players for that game, that player is lynched
instantly
and the Day ends. For example, we have 9 players. If that means the hammer is 5, so if there were to be 5 votes on someone, that player would be lynched. Do not recklessly hammer, especially early in the game, or you’ll risk accidentally lynching town members and cutting short discussion time.
The concept of L-X is used to indicate how many votes a player is to hammer. L-1 means 1 vote to hammer, L-2 means 2 votes to hammer and so forth. So for this game, if someone were to get 4 votes, they would be at L-1. When you place the vote that puts someone at L-1(for example, if someone has 3 votes and you’re putting the 4th vote down, with a hammer of 5), you should usually announce it with a statement like “He’s at L-1”, so people don’t accidentally hammer. Even more importantly, it means that mafia can’t hammer a town member and then claim ignorance the next day.
If someone is at L-1 and you want to hammer him, you should usually state “intent to hammer”, which means “I want to lynch you”. When you do this, you can also ask for a role claim. That way, if the player is a power role being mislynched, he can claim before you place the hammering vote, and thus save himself.

LyLo

LyLo is the shortened form of a phrase which means “lynch or lose”. The simplest form of LyLo is 3 players, 2 of whom are vanilla townies and the last being a mafia goon. Then, it’s easy to see that if they do not lynch, the mafia goon will kill one of them at night, stalemating the lynch the next day, and killing the last town member on Night 2 – although the mod will usually recognize this and end the game early instead of dragging it out.
When town is in LyLo, it’s important not to carelessly vote like you would on any other day, because of the potential for a mafia coordinated hammer(a “quickhammer”, happening before anyone else can react). Let’s say we have LyLo with 3 Vanilla Townies and 2 Mafia Goons. One of the vanilla townie carelessly puts his vote on another VT. This allows the two mafia goons to instantly rush in and simultaneously vote that VT, bringing his vote count to 3 in a game of 5 players, which is a hammer and loss for the town.
It’s good practice to try to recognize LyLo situations when you see them, but in Newbie games a more experienced player will usually point out that it’s LyLo and caution people from recklessly voting. Learning how to deal with LyLo is a very important part of playing mafia, and it comes up more often than you might think.

RVS

We are currently in the RVS, or Random Voting Stage. As none of us has any idea who is mafia(well, except the mafia members themselves, but they’re hardly going to admit it), we’re mostly poking around and slinging votes like hot curry at a food fight, trying to provoke reactions, start a discussion and basically probe around to try and determine player’s alignments.
As it is the
Random
Voting Stage, it’s common for players to vote for very silly reasons, such as “your avatar is ugly” or “your username has too many numbers in it”. Don’t worry, they don’t have a grudge against you or anything. It’s just part of RVS. Without RVS, it would be a lot harder to get the game moving.

Conclusion

Thank you for joining this newbie game, and I hope that all of us will have fun playing, win or lose. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask me. I’m an IC, so it’s my job to be active and respond to questions from newer players. I live in Singapore, which makes my timezone GMT+8, so don’t be surprised if I answer in the middle of the night or appear to be inactive at high noon(I’m probably sleeping).

Have fun and good luck!

- Accountant

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
robbylet2
robbylet2
Townie
robbylet2
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Post by robbylet2 »

In that case i
Vote: heyboxgaming
because i've had trouble in the past with people who ty to lead discussion.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 17, robbylet2 wrote:In that case i

What do you mean by this?

heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Post by heyboxgaminig »

In post 17, robbylet2 wrote:In that case i

Hey, Not going to question this vote as it is already being done above me^^ But i will point out, that some could take this as a "scum slip" (indication that your scum)

Discussion is good for town, Having trouble with people creating incentive to talk is normally a problem mafia deals with. would love a clarification :)

Oh and it would be incredibly helpful if you got a DP (display picture) so we can distinguish you from others at a glance :cool:
The MM
The MM
Goon
The MM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Post by The MM »

Okay, I'll stick to my guns from my mafia games from outside for the time being...
This means immediate aggro blahblah IC explained why.
VOTE: PrivateI
aa-dono
aa-dono
Townie
aa-dono
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Post by aa-dono »

Well then.
VOTE: The MM because it's easy to pronounce.
The MM
The MM
Goon
The MM
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:24 am

Post by The MM »

I'd start ranting, but people interpret my rantings as "this guy is scum".

So I'll simply justify this as "PrivateI tries to lynch the IC". Seriously, if the IC is not scum, that's the simplest indirect scumclaim ever; and if the IC is Mafia, they'd know better than to immediately collapse under pressure, meaning a FoS would be just as effective. I'm not even gonna bother anyone else.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:11 am

Post by Accountant »

The MM, why wouldn't scum!PrivateI lynch some schmuck(as opposed to an experienced mafia player who would better know how to defend himself) and then try to NK me at night?

PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:44 am

Post by PrivateI »

First, to address HBG's question, the bulk of the experience I have with Mafia comes from this site, particularly the rather jarring presence of "extended" deadlines of week-long days. I've participated in several Newbie games in the past, as well as a few "normal" games, though this is my first game in which I have served as an SE. (That I remember. I could be totally wrong on that) One thing I do know for sure is that this is my first Mafia game on-site in over a year, so I'm excited to jump back into things> :D

Robbylet2, what do you think town players should be doing right now?

Also, public service announcement, HBG is currently sitting at L-2, which you'll know from Accountant's helpful explanation above means that he is two votes away from the day ending with a lynch. So don't put too many more votes on him plz. :)

I think Accountant has already done a relatively good job of defending my vote on him, but I will just follow up with this for The MM: If I was trying to lynch the IC of this game, you have to admit that I've done a relatively poor job!! :D

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”