Micro 594: One Night Ultimate Werewolf 5 (Game over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Alexcellent
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:58 am

Post by Alexcellent »

Oh man. Whoops. Yeah I 100% believed Podo was actually the Troublemaker, I didn't expect the Minion to say he swapped me since I didn't think I was likely to be lynched. Also, he played town super well from my perspective so I just totally believed it. When Podo started pushing for the GL/Lane double lynch I started to think that maybe I was wrong, I probably shouldn't have jumped in to claim when I did.

In post 548, 3dicerolling wrote:I'm kind of salty nobody cared you changed your claim so many times.

I felt like that should have been obvious.

Maybe I had a bit of confbias, whenever I play Troublemaker in One Night, I usually bluff a claim a few times to trip the Werewolves up so in my mind that made Podo check out more as the Troublemaker

Well played though town, fun game!
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 am

Post by podoboq »

In post 550, Alexcellent wrote:Oh man. Whoops. Yeah I 100% believed Podo was actually the Troublemaker, I didn't expect the Minion to say he swapped me since I didn't think I was likely to be lynched. Also, he played town super well from my perspective so I just totally believed it. When Podo started pushing for the GL/Lane double lynch I started to think that maybe I was wrong, I probably shouldn't have jumped in to claim when I did.

In post 548, 3dicerolling wrote:I'm kind of salty nobody cared you changed your claim so many times.

Maybe I had a bit of confbias, whenever I play Troublemaker in One Night, I usually bluff a claim a few times to trip the Werewolves up so in my mind that made Podo check out more as the Troublemaker

I'm totally taking responsibility for this one. I shouldn't have claimed switching you. I gave you at minimum 50/50 odds on being town after that claim, and since you believed me, you had to do what's best for you and play to the odds that your wincon has changed. I just didn't think through how my claim would actually effect you. I was so focused on seeing every angle through town's eyes that I didn't look at the game through scum's.
shos
shos
Survivor
shos
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 am

Post by shos »

Im nomming this for *something*. Podo fooled EVERYONE.

with tie possible, scum with 2 in 10 players, and 2 dying and onlky 1 has to be scum, have, in random lynching, about 62% to win. With all the information, i think it makes this town-balanced..
In post 836, Lucky2u said:

Rule # 5h05: players should not attempt to use or manipulate the mod for any purpose.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:30 am

Post by PokerFace »

GG WP. Podo was doing great until he said he switched alex. He convinced everyone too well that he was trouble. Even Alex got fooled. GL's double lynch planning was perfect counter move. Glad we got to pull it off. shos was gonna vote lion after all.

I propose next time this is run, the setup should be:

Werewolf
Werewolf
Minion
Apprentice Seer
Troublemaker
Robber
Villager
Villager
Villager
Insomniac
Doppleganger
Paranormal Investigator

The paranormal investigator can check up to two other players cards. If he sees a scum card he turns scum in normal One Night Ultimate Werewolf. As its possible that would yield 5 scum in a 9 player setup that rule is being overlooked. If the paranormal sees scum on he first look then he must stop looking. PI's actions resolve before robber and before trouble.

Seer and Apprentice both in the setup getting to see 2-3 center cards is too powerful. Really limits scum fake claims. This is why I think using paranormal investigator and Apprentice seer would work better.

What you guys think of this setup?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

When i began to reread things on the weekend, especially when podo went back to suspecting lane to counter the double lynch, is when I started suspecting podo. When I skimmed I did not suspect him. That will teach me not to post and skim while at work
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

@shos, the app and normal way ONUW is run allows multiple people to be lynched
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 am

Post by podoboq »

When this is run again, I'd nix the ability to double lynch. I think it makes it too easy for town. As I said earlier, the party game is so much shorter that it's not plausible to build a fool proof split. The nature of forums makes this version inherently different, and I think you need to change the rules for a tie to disallow a double lynch.

Or, implement the Tanner. The Tanner is a neutral party, and only wins if he dies. If the Tanner dies, all other players lose. This could help to discourage a split vote.
Alexcellent
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:46 am

Post by Alexcellent »

In post 551, podoboq wrote:
In post 550, Alexcellent wrote:Oh man. Whoops. Yeah I 100% believed Podo was actually the Troublemaker, I didn't expect the Minion to say he swapped me since I didn't think I was likely to be lynched. Also, he played town super well from my perspective so I just totally believed it. When Podo started pushing for the GL/Lane double lynch I started to think that maybe I was wrong, I probably shouldn't have jumped in to claim when I did.

I'm totally taking responsibility for this one. I shouldn't have claimed switching you. I gave you at minimum 50/50 odds on being town after that claim, and since you believed me, you had to do what's best for you and play to the odds that your wincon has changed. I just didn't think through how my claim would actually effect you. I was so focused on seeing every angle through town's eyes that I didn't look at the game through scum's.

It's all good dude. At the least, I heaps wouldn't want to go against you if I were VT, I just don't think I would have been able to scum read you at all :P
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Post by lane0168 »

The double vote in this case maybe seems powerful, but under different circumstances, like not claiming the werewolf swap, it probably wouldn't be such a sure thing. Or not claiming Troublemaker. Or both ya know?

Well done everyone
3dicerolling
3dicerolling
Mafia Scum
3dicerolling
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Post by 3dicerolling »

Or even when there are two werewolves and a minion, and you cannot possibly balance the votes.

It's not OP honestly, just really good in this situation.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Post by vettrock »

In post 556, podoboq wrote:When this is run again, I'd nix the ability to double lynch. I think it makes it too easy for town. As I said earlier, the party game is so much shorter that it's not plausible to build a fool proof split. The nature of forums makes this version inherently different, and I think you need to change the rules for a tie to disallow a double lynch.

Or, implement the Tanner. The Tanner is a neutral party, and only wins if he dies. If the Tanner dies, all other players lose. This could help to discourage a split vote.

I think in this situtation it turned out to be townsided because both your and alex had to vote GL, and GL and 3DR had to vote alex or they would lose in all cases. Normally, one of he scum would be able to vote somewhere else to throw it off.

I think we could try with the paranormal investigator like PokerFace suggested. I kind of like the Hunter as well which we had in the first two games. The Seer and apprentice Seer does mean there is good chance most of the cards in the center are looked at. Maybe replace the Apprentice Seer with the Paranormal investigator?

Does anyone else want to run it, and do we have enough for another iteration? I'll mod, or play if someone else wants to mod.
My "Get to Know a Scummer" thread is here.
Alexcellent
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Post by Alexcellent »

I'd definitely play another. I'd also be open to modding, although I haven't modded a game on here before so I'm not sure that I meet the requirements for modding a micro game yet
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Post by podoboq »

I'd love to play another.

Not a fan of Hunter if we don't modify the tie rules. Could result in three deaths pretty easily.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Post by vettrock »

Run the Pokerface suggestion?
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:20 pm

Post by podoboq »

PokerFace suggestion seems good. The PI change seems necessary.
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:27 pm

Post by vettrock »

What about the if no werewolves, re-roll? I got that from shos, but I think taking out the possibility that there are no werewolves helps town. I do like the Minion becomes werewolf if he is all alone option. Otherwise town must circle vote to win, and minion just has to mess it up. It is like a guarenteed victory for the minion.
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Post by podoboq »

In post 565, vettrock wrote:What about the if no werewolves, re-roll? I got that from shos, but I think taking out the possibility that there are no werewolves helps town. I do like the Minion becomes werewolf if he is all alone option. Otherwise town must circle vote to win, and minion just has to mess it up. It is like a guarenteed victory for the minion.

Yeah, I kinda hate the whole "If there are no Werewolves, a unanimous no lynch has to happen," rule. I'm pretty sure rerolling is the best option. "Lone Minion becomes Werewolf" just defeats the purpose.
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:05 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

First off, thanks for modding vettrock! It was a very smooth game and I had a lot of fun, and I'd totally be in for another.

Second, podo, you played great in a tough position. I do think the double lynch was really town-sided here, if we had to choose only one lynch you would have easily won. I apologize for saying to "shut up" at one point, I felt bad about that one afterwards but at the time I felt like it was my only option to try to get townies to see what I was saying, because it felt like they all were agreeing with you. The last few days you made this game both more challenging and more enjoyable than it should have been :]
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Alexcellent
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Alexcellent
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Post by Alexcellent »

Yeah cheers for the modding vettrock!
podoboq
podoboq
Mafia Scum
podoboq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Post by podoboq »

In post 567, GuiltyLion wrote:First off, thanks for modding vettrock! It was a very smooth game and I had a lot of fun, and I'd totally be in for another.

Second, podo, you played great in a tough position. I do think the double lynch was really town-sided here, if we had to choose only one lynch you would have easily won. I apologize for saying to "shut up" at one point, I felt bad about that one afterwards but at the time I felt like it was my only option to try to get townies to see what I was saying, because it felt like they all were agreeing with you. The last few days you made this game both more challenging and more enjoyable than it should have been :]

Awww. I totally felt like an ass the last few days. Sometimes it feels like you have to pretend to be emotional and angry to make a point (mostly as scum) and it sucks. No hard feelings to everybody. This game got super weird at the end.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:04 am

Post by PokerFace »

At first I did not like the "no werewolves re-roll" idea. Trying to convince players there are no werewolves when you are the only one is a legit strategy. But considering how OP a solo minion can be and how un fun an actual no werewolf game really is, I am fine with the re-roll in hindsight
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:08 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 556, podoboq wrote:When this is run again, I'd nix the ability to double lynch. I think it makes it too easy for town. As I said earlier, the party game is so much shorter that it's not plausible to build a fool proof split. The nature of forums makes this version inherently different, and I think you need to change the rules for a tie to disallow a double lynch.

I like playing as tanners and jesters, but I hate playing against them. If I am scum, I want to be able to lynch everyone so I can survive. If I am town, I want to lynch scummy players. Punishing both those alignments for doing what they are suppose to lynch, feels wrong.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:58 am

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:At first I did not like the "no werewolves re-roll" idea. Trying to convince players there are no werewolves when you are the only one is a legit strategy. But considering
how OP a solo minion can be and
how un fun an actual no werewolf game really is, I am fine with the re-roll in hindsight

Considering how OP a solo minion is, the right call is to turn him into a single werewolf
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 am

Post by PokerFace »

Thinking more on it, I don't think having the paranormal investigator is a good idea!

While its true seer + apprentice is OP since it gets to see 2-3 center cards. You get knowledge of whats in the game through whats not in the game. Paranormal with dopple, apprentice, insomniac also looks very powerful because you get knowledge of whats directly in the setup based on actually see it. Considering that and fact we have to overlook some mechanics of the PI to avoid 5 scum (2 weres, minion, dopple?, PI) rarity, i am starting to think PI is a step too far

So I would lean towards next running containing:
Werewolf
Werewolf
Minion
Apprentice Seer
Troublemaker
Robber
Villager
Villager
Villager
Villager
Insomniac
Doppleganger

5prs possible 4 villagers posible 4 scum possible, this feels better. Subbing in a hunter for one of the villagers would not be a bad idea either. Most powerful role in game is likely still the robber though
vettrock
vettrock
Mafia Scum
vettrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 am

Post by vettrock »

In post 573, PokerFace wrote:Thinking more on it, I don't think having the paranormal investigator is a good idea!

While its true seer + apprentice is OP since it gets to see 2-3 center cards. You get knowledge of whats in the game through whats not in the game. Paranormal with dopple, apprentice, insomniac also looks very powerful because you get knowledge of whats directly in the setup based on actually see it. Considering that and fact we have to overlook some mechanics of the PI to avoid 5 scum (2 weres, minion, dopple?, PI) rarity, i am starting to think PI is a step too far

So I would lean towards next running containing:
Werewolf
Werewolf
Minion
Apprentice Seer
Troublemaker
Robber
Villager
Villager
Villager
Villager
Insomniac
Doppleganger

5prs possible 4 villagers posible 4 scum possible, this feels better. Subbing in a hunter for one of the villagers would not be a bad idea either. Most powerful role in game is likely still the robber though

I think three Villagers is enough. In the rare case that there is 5 scum, I don't think that is that bad. First they have to figure out that there are 5 of them without outing themselves, and second, only one of the 5 has to be killed for town to win.

Unlike the doppleganger, if a paranormal becomes a werewolf, the other werewolves and minion don't know about it.

If we go with the setup you have above, I think we could have the full Seer rather than just the apprentice.

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”