NEWBIE 1693 />_ TO_ARCHIVE

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Post by Orange »

this thor vs pants dynamic looks like

town vs town

while scum are coasting by
Last edited by Shadowmod on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Post by Orange »

In post 91, HobbesDuncan wrote:Ha, apologies for the mild lurking. Busy couple of days, other things taking priority and such- I'll probably still be relatively busy over the weekend, but I'll do my best to get on more.

Anyway, as to the game itself... accepting that all the fake claim nonsense was just a reaction test, I guess my only issue with it now is that it means we don't have much else to go on when it comes to reading PC? Which is somewhat hypocritical on my part, I suppose, but there you go. Even so, the lack of a read really doesn't compare to how I'm viewing Pants at the moment. Mostly because of this:

Pants98 wrote:

A: In post 40 the question you asked and the question you seem to want me to have answered are different. The way you worded it ("does this concern you?") asks if I'm concerned. As in scared or worried. Of course it didn't scare me that two theories I made were wrong. Why would it? But what I see in you're newer posts implies you asked me "Does this change anything?". If you wanted me to answer that question then why didn't you ask it? Of course I didn't tell you that my opinion changed because the answer to "does this concern you?" is not "I don't think PC is scum anymore,". It's either "Yes it terrifies me." or "No it doesn't.". I think you asked me "does this concern you?" because you wanted me to give the answer I did. You tricked me. I gave an answer that didn't change my opinion. You made sure I wouldn't by giving a question that didn't warrant one. After that add a few mistakes I made like saying he is noob scum or noob town instead of just saying he is noob, and you have a pretty solid case that everyone will believe.

Like... nothing about that argument seems remotely valid or reasonable to me. Trying to use quibbling wording differences to make it sound like 'does this concern you' doesn't obviously mean 'does this change anything' is just... sketchy, to me, and not at all a valid way out of the issue at hand? The rest of his stuff doesn't sit well with me either, but that one is just particularly bad.

Grendel's analysis seems well thought out, enough that I'm willing to suspect Col- however, Pants strikes me as the more suspicious of the two, although admittedly they're also the one I've been paying the most attention to.

At any rate, their arguments so far seem suspicious (by which I mean, poor and contradictory) and they've only got one vote, so I have no qualms with saying:

VOTE: Pants98

k

why is pants scummy?

where have his arguments been suspicious?

like you can argue theory and word-choice to the ends of the world

but it comes down to whose manipulating the current wagon

in this case, you reached for the low hanging fruit
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:09 pm

Post by Orange »

k micc is my strongest tr

hobbs my sr

VOTE: HobbesDuncan
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:15 am

Post by Micc »

Did a one time read through while at work. Ended up making plans for tonight so not a ton of time to post.

I disagree with almost everything about orange's push against HobbsDuncan.
Would also like to hear more about his town read on me.

Wouldn't mind hearing Thor explain what kind of information PhantomColbalt has offered this game. From my point of view he's successfully dodged an L-1 RVS wagon by doing nothing except lay down an unsupported vote and "reaction test" - two things I don't find all that insightful.

I'm having a hard time ignoring the fact that he hasn't done anything to cause the L-1 pressure wagon to dissolve, because the whole point of a pressure wagon is to make someone do *things* and then to form reads off those *things*.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 am

Post by Shadowmod »

Code: Select all

GENERATE />_ vote_count PARSE $curphase
parsing votes
. . . .
generating vote_count
  project PK8D3ZND
  1st testing cycle
  +—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+
  | VOTE COUNT                                                                              |
  +—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————+
  |  PANTS98          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Thor665          HobbesDuncan     ·                ·                ·                |
  + · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · +
  |  GRENDEL          [ 2 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    PhantomCobalt    monogarden       ·                ·                ·                |
  + · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · +
  |  THOR665          [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Pants98          ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  |  PHANTOMCOBALT    [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Micc             ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  |  HOBBESDUNCAN     [ 1 / 5 ]                                                             |
  |    Orange           ·                ·                ·                ·                |
  +–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––+
  |  NOT VOTING       [ 2 / 9 ]                                                             |
  |    SugarJan         Grendel          ·                ·                ·                |
DONE.
/>_
1ST TESTING CYCLE
(expired on 2016-04-06 18:00:00)

/>_
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:42 am

Post by Orange »

In post 128, Micc wrote:Did a one time read through while at work. Ended up making plans for tonight so not a ton of time to post.

I disagree with almost everything about orange's push against HobbsDuncan.
Would also like to hear more about his town read on me.

Wouldn't mind hearing Thor explain what kind of information PhantomColbalt has offered this game. From my point of view he's successfully dodged an L-1 RVS wagon by doing nothing except lay down an unsupported vote and "reaction test" - two things I don't find all that insightful.

I'm having a hard time ignoring the fact that he hasn't done anything to cause the L-1 pressure wagon to dissolve, because the whole point of a pressure wagon is to make someone do *things* and then to form reads off those *things*.

Do you perceive his posts to be genuine then because I really don't like #30. Maybe that's just me but it seems fake to me.

PC has been lurking, yes, but it isn't alignment indicative. Just anti-town.
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:43 am

Post by Orange »

Also what do you think about the thor vs pants dynamic?
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Post by Micc »

His posts seem perfectly genuine to me. There really isn't much that can be done to judge fakeness from someone who has 6 posts on site, so I'm having a hard time following where you're coming from on this one.

I'm not classifying PhantomCobalt as lurking. I'm classifying him as not doing anything meaningful while he's here, which has been often enough in my opinion.

Still think Thor's case on pants is fine, and that Pants's case on Thor is weak. I'll look at it a little deeper at some point, but right now I don't find it all that interesting.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 127, Orange wrote:micc is my strongest tr

Also, I would like to hear reasoning for this.
HobbesDuncan
HobbesDuncan
Townie
HobbesDuncan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Post by HobbesDuncan »

In post 126, Orange wrote:

k

why is pants scummy?

where have his arguments been suspicious?

Alright, at some point tomorrow when it's not as late and I have a little more time, I'll go over all his posts, put them all together, and explain that in detail- it's something I've been meaning to do anyway, make sure I'm reading things correctly, and hopefully it'll clear up my point for you. However, if you happen to be online before I get a chance to do that, could you tell me why you see Pants as town?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:02 am

Post by Thor665 »

Hello, my apologies, had a job pop up -
V/LA - till March 31st

Will catch up and respond to stuff from the last day and whatever comes until then when I'm back.
Apologies again.
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:33 am

Post by Grendel »

Monogarden, I'm still interested in hearing more reasoning on way you find me scumy. If those two posts, and me being critical of Cobalt's play are all you got then I must say that I find the allegations against me rather underwhelming.

Cobalt, so What were the results of your test? I'd still like some elaboration on your vote for me too.

Orange, hello, your predecessor was my top scum read. Therefore you're you've inherited my suspicions of him. Do you have anything to say about my thoughts that he was taking advantage of his inexperience to dismiss arguments against him?
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Post by Micc »

In post 136, Grendel wrote:
Orange, hello, your predecessor was my top scum read. Therefore you're you've inherited my suspicions of him.

Why aren't you voting the slot then?
Grendel wrote:...he was taking advantage of his inexperience to dismiss arguments against him?

I find this case super weak. I think his play along with the force replacement are enough evidence that Col Mongoose didn't have a strong enough understanding of the game do be doing things like taking advantage of his perceived inexperience.
Shadowmod
Shadowmod
Goon
Shadowmod
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Post by Shadowmod »

RUN ACTIVCHK
  activity check running
  . . . .
  idle test subjects detected.
    ID# 2  NAME SugarJan
    ID# 8  NAME PhantomCobalt
  PROD $prevlist $all
  . .
  prods sent.
  DONE.
DONE.
/>_

Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress:
Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693
Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!
SugarJan
SugarJan
Townie
SugarJan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Post by SugarJan »

I'm not sure about Monogarden's case on Grendel either, although I also feel... odd about Grendel. It feels like he jumped around a lot on who he was targeting, and while that itself isn't exactly scummy, I'm just not getting town vibes from him, which could also just be my paranoia.

Hobbes' post number thirty seemed genuine to me, just a little bit overthought. @Orange, can you give more explanation about the contradiction that you see?

I really can't decide whether or not Pants is scum. I think that it's possible that he's town and just looks somewhat scummy which would make him a good lynch target.

Thor is sticking up for PC rather than asking him to elaborate on anything like the rest of us which strikes me as odd, but the questions I have for Thor have already been asked so I suppose I'll have to wait until he returns and then see.
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Post by Grendel »

In post 137, Micc wrote:
In post 136, Grendel wrote:
Orange, hello, your predecessor was my top scum read. Therefore you're you've inherited my suspicions of him.

Why aren't you voting the slot then?
Grendel wrote:...he was taking advantage of his inexperience to dismiss arguments against him?

I find this case super weak. I think his play along with the force replacement are enough evidence that Col Mongoose didn't have a strong enough understanding of the game do be doing things like taking advantage of his perceived inexperience.

Originally I was going to hold of on voting until I gave them a chance to explain themselves, and if I wasn't moved then I'd vote. But Col never responded to me, and Orange hasn't either. Maybe if I had voted earlier I'd have gotten more of a reaction. Who knows. I'm slow when it comes to voting people, sometimes out of paranoia that I might mislynch, other times I worry that I might be subconsciously voting due to popular opinion/emotion/knee jerk reaction. So I tend to hold off a while until I feel more confident that I know I want to vote x person.

Yes, I did name him as who I most suspected, but... that's no guarantee he is mafia. So I'm not saying 100% on him, just when I compared him to other people I thought he was fishy. And I guess a part of me still finds them fishy :/

I suppose its a weaker argument then I originally thought, but I still felt that since I started the line of thought I ought to hear what the subject of my speculating had to say. Its not like I had much else to discuss atm. If more people think it isn't worth pursuing I'll drop it, and if that's the case I suppose I'll go back and revaluate my read's list.
monogarden
monogarden
Goon
monogarden
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Post by monogarden »

Grendel, other than the two posts I pulled out its just a feeling mostly. Pants was my other main read and he already had a lot of pressure so I wanted to see how you would react.
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Post by Orange »

Sorry, I'll respond to everybody and their questions this afternoon.

:x
Pants98
Pants98
Goon
Pants98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Post by Pants98 »

I'm going to have to do some re-reading. I'll be back in a few hours..
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:29 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

Scum would gain more than town if I explained my reaction test results
Speed don't lie.
CC
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:23 am

Post by Micc »

Then there's something wrong with your "reaction test".

How about that reasoning for townreading me?
PhantomCobalt
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
PhantomCobalt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:17 am

Post by PhantomCobalt »

Yes something went very wrong, and I'm trying to sort it
Speed don't lie.
CC
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 am

Post by Micc »

But are you? Cause it doesn't look like it.
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:49 am

Post by Orange »

In post 30, HobbesDuncan wrote:I... can't really imagine anyone would be incompetent enough to just outright admit to being scum that early on- I'd barely believe it from a newbie, much less an SE.

Which of course raises the question as to what PC is actually doing, because nothing about this reads as a good play. If he's town, there'd be no reason to take the risk or pull all this initial suspicion, even as a joke. Slightly more plausible is that he's mafia and this is a very risky bit of reverse psychology or something. So, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he responds, but I guess I'm inclined to think he's actually scum here?

The first sentence and the last sentence don't make sense

If nobody was incompetent enough to admit they were scum

why is he inclined to believe that he is actually scum here?
Orange
Orange
Townie
Orange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:50 am

Post by Orange »

In post 136, Grendel wrote:Monogarden, I'm still interested in hearing more reasoning on way you find me scumy. If those two posts, and me being critical of Cobalt's play are all you got then I must say that I find the allegations against me rather underwhelming.

Cobalt, so What were the results of your test? I'd still like some elaboration on your vote for me too.

Orange, hello, your predecessor was my top scum read. Therefore you're you've inherited my suspicions of him. Do you have anything to say about my thoughts that he was taking advantage of his inexperience to dismiss arguments against him?

hi there, can you lay out your questions in one post

i'll do my best to answer them

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”