Newbie 1718 [Game Over!] Mafia

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Newbie 1718 [Game Over!] Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:41 am

Post by innocentvillager »

Newbie 1718: Mafia.

Welcome. You are playing mafia.

Game Setup:
Matrix 6

Game Status:
Game Over!

Players Alive:

1. Dierfire
**Kaori Miyazono
*makesnosense

3. gigabyteTroubadour
4. Lycanfire
***Racer64

6. *kraska77
keyenpeydee
Smurphinator

7. RadiantCowbells (SE)

Spoiler: The Deceased
5. ai_shuuuu
foedufafa
Vanilla Townie
, was lynched Day 1.
9. House (IC),
Town Jailkeeper
, was shot Night 1.
No one was lynched Day 2.
2. **fiddlercrabontheroof
Harlii
Vanilla Townie
, was shot Night 2.
8. JaeReed
DoctorPepper
(SE),
Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
, was lynched Day 3.

Spoiler: The Smitten
Hopefully no one, ever.

* indicates a prod
Last edited by innocentvillager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:57 am, edited 33 times in total.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:49 am

Rules

(References: Nobody Special, Equinox, Hoopla, Tierce, Vel-Rahn Koon, zoraster)

General
  1. Be familiar with the site-wide rules and guidelines.
  2. Please keep the game civil and avoid personal attacks.
    Use of homophobic, racist, sexist, or any other derogatory slurs will not be tolerated. Remember to attack the argument, not the person. Mafia is a game of argument, but the argument should always be about the game content. I will warn you if you do something like this the first time, and subject to my discretion after that I may have you force-replaced or modkilled if necessary.
  3. While this game is running, you may not discuss this game anywhere outside of the game thread unless you have been explicitly allowed to do so.
  4. Do not quote any private communication, including game-related PMs, instant messages, and QuickTopics. Quoting time stamps from any private communication is also forbidden. Paraphrasing is allowed; quoting from public sources is also allowed.
  5. If it is not visible to the naked eye, do not post it. This includes but is not limited to: invisible text, tiny text, encrypted text, and text hidden within tags. For cases of breadcrumbing where you aren't sure if this rule would be violated, please PM me beforehand.
  6. Do not edit or delete your posts.
  7. Do not use
    Bolded Blue
    . This is MY color. Impersonating the mod is mod killable, depending on my mood.
  8. For minor questions or vote count errors, please bold your concern in the thread and write . For all other issues, PM me.
  9. Exploiting loopholes in the rules or pretending to break the rules will be considered breaking the rules.
  10. Anything that can be interpreted as “flavor” is for entertainment purposes only and has no significance in the game.

Activity

11. Prods will be issued to players if they have not posted within a 48-hour period. Players who have been prodded have 48 hours to respond in the game thread before a replacement is sought.
  12. Players who have been prodded 3 times are subject to replacement without further notice.
  13. If you anticipate being away for at least 48 hours, please PM me or post a V/LA notice in the thread with the expected date of your return. If it’s in the thread bold it and write @mod.

Days and Nights

14. Days will have a deadline of two weeks, and Nights will last 72 hours. Deadline extensions will be granted only in extreme circumstances.
  15. Lynches occur through simple majority (50% of living players + 1, rounded down). If no majority is reached at deadline or there is a majority of votes for No Lynch, Day will end without a lynch. Once majority is reached, no further votes or unvotes will count.
  16. Votes and vote revocations must be bolded (e.g., Vote: PlayerName and Unvote). Unvotes WITH NAME when switching votes are also very helpful for me and are HIGHLY encouraged. (e.g., Unvote: PlayerName, Vote: No Lynch). Use of the vote tags (e.g., VOTE: PlayerName) is HIGHLY encouraged as well.
  17. All players, including the lynched player, are allowed to talk in twilight phase until the thread is locked, at which point Day ends. Dead players
    (NEW RULE!) are allowed one "bah!" or completely non-game related post, but after that
    may not post until the game has been officially declared over.
  18. Actions not received by deadline will be considered forfeiting an action for that night. Actions may be submitted ahead of time and can be changed as many times as desired; at deadline, the last valid action that was submitted will be used. Actions may be submitted via PM or QuickTopic.
  19. Any situation not covered above will be handled on a case-by-case basis. I reserve the right to add, modify, or remove rules as necessary. I will notify you of any changes in the thread.
Please PM me if you need clarification on anything in the rules.

Remember: Have fun, and play to win the game
!
Last edited by innocentvillager on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:50 am

Role PM's have been sent. I will unlock the thread when 8/9 have confirmed, or if this timer runs out (expired on 2016-06-17 11:50:32) (whichever happens first).
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:56 am

Game Setup

This game is using the standard Newbie Game setup, Matrix6. One row or one column will be randomly chosen from the table below and the remaining six roles will be filled in by Mafia Goons and Vanilla Townies as appropriate to create a total of 2 Mafia-aligned players and 7 Town-aligned players.

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

Note:
  • The Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the actions are submitted.
  • In applicable situations, a Roleblocker's action will resolve before a Jailkeeper's action.
  • In applicable situations, a Mafia Roleblocker has the option of submitting both roleblocks and kills, even when the Mafia Goon is still alive.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:57 am

With 8/9 confirming, let the games begin!

Day 1 has started!

Deadline to lynch is in (expired on 2016-06-29 14:56:27)
With 9 eligible to vote, it's 5 votes to lynch

I'm leaving the scumchat open for another day since this was exceptionally short: (expired on 2016-06-16 14:56:27)
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 am

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

VOTE: makesnosense

It doesn't make sense why you're not voting yet. Not voting is scummy.

(also hey guys! this is my first forum mafia games! I play a lot of face to face games irl and some games on an irc channel, but I wanted to try something new! Here's to a fun game!)
Racer64
Racer64
Townie
Racer64
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am

Post by Racer64 »

VOTE: foedufafa

His name literally has "foe" in it.
Harlii
Harlii
Townie
Harlii
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 am

Post by Harlii »

VOTE: Smurphinator
For being the last to confirm :<

(Also my first forum game, big fan of IRL social deduction games but don't get to play much so this seems like a fun way to do it!)
Racer64
Racer64
Townie
Racer64
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 am

Post by Racer64 »

Can we get all the newbies to post before an SE or the IC posts?
foedufafa
foedufafa
Townie
foedufafa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:39 am

Post by foedufafa »

In post 6, Racer64 wrote:VOTE: foedufafa

His name literally has "foe" in it.
My greatest enemy is myself.

VOTE: DoctorPepper

I'm more of a ginger ale kind of guy.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 am

Post by House »

Spoiler: IC Introduction
Hello to all,

I am House, your misanthropic Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player. I function as a dual-role guide and fellow player. Although I am here to help you learn how to play the game, I am also here to win, and thus I will play to my win con. It would behoove you to stay on your toes around me, because there is no telling what antics I might be up to when I'm not providing guidance.

That said, it should be noted that I will not lie or attempt to misdirect players in any way concerning game theory or optimal play advice. To that end, there may be times where I actually undermine my own win con. My role as a mentor overrides that of a player. When I post in my capacity as the IC, you can trust it as authentic.

I highly recommend our MafiWiki system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. That said, don't place too much credence in the game theory that is discussed in the wiki. Theory is constantly evolving, as will your play as you become accustomed to the game.

In closing, I will offer each team some advice;

For Town
:

1. Be active! The more you participate, the more information that is created. The more information that is created, the more town benefits. That said...
2. Watch the fluff. Fluff is posts that do not contribute to the game. If too much fluff is posted, it creates apathy as players lose interest in wading through tons of unnecessary posts in order to find clues as to a player's alignment.
3. Don't self-vote. Although it may feel like the right thing to do, self-voting denies town information. Even if you believe your lynch is inevitable, every player that voted to lynch you will most likely be scrutinized when you flip town.
4. It's generally considered bad town play to simply hammer (place the final vote on somebody to cause their lynch) somebody without 'stating intent to hammer' first. This gives the person under threat of being lynched time to claim, if he so chooses, and make their final post(s).
5. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.

For Scum
:

1. The number one rule of scum is "be town". You want to blend in as well as possible, so try not to do things that draw attention to your alignment.
2. Apathy is your friend. The less town cares about the game, the less they care about finding you. Cultivate ways to subtly breed apathy.
3. Town dissonance is your ally. The more town bickers amongst themselves, the less focused they are on finding you. Learn the art of doubtcasting and instigating.
3a.
The above statement is not to be construed as a suggestion to personally attack or insult players. Such behavior can get you banned from the games, and even the site.

4. Information should be a one way street. The more information you can gather, and the more you can prevent town from gathering information, the better off you are.

For All
:

The first rule of MafiaScum: This is a game. Enjoy it!

Although I have spoilered my introduction to prevent walling, please take the time to read it.

VOTE: Smurphinator

For not being Smurftastic.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:20 am

In post 10, House wrote: VOTE: Smurphinator

I know it's still early in RVS, but does something about this vote seem deliberate to anyone else?

(mafia scum doesn't have a [hr] so just imagine this is a nice, clean horizontal rule)

House, as the IC, do you have a private thread in which you comment on us newbies' plays to give constructive criticism? I noticed that a couple of the ICs from the games I read did that, but not all of them did.

Also, if you're lynched early into the game (despite my comment i'm that suspicious of your move), are you still allowed to provide help with theory questions about the game, so as long as you don't provide gamebreaking information? Because if not, it seems like there's a penalty to us accusing you too early in the game if you could help newer players out.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:24 am

In post 11, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:

I know it's still early in RVS, but does something about this vote seem deliberate to anyone else?

(mafia scum doesn't have a [hr] so just imagine this is a nice, clean horizontal rule)

House, as the IC, do you have a private thread in which you comment on us newbies' plays to give constructive criticism? I noticed that a couple of the ICs from the games I read did that, but not all of them did.

Also, if you're lynched early into the game (despite my comment i'm
not
suspicious of your move), are you still allowed to provide help with theory questions about the game, so as long as you don't provide gamebreaking information? Because if not, it seems like there's a penalty to us accusing you too early in the game if you could help newer players out.
I gotta stop writing messages while in a hurry, I've made three typos this game already... :K

also sorry for not snipping that quote, i'm on my phone
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Post by House »

In post 11, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:House, as the IC, do you have a private thread in which you comment on us newbies' plays to give constructive criticism? I noticed that a couple of the ICs from the games I read did that, but not all of them did.

Also, if you're lynched early into the game (despite my comment i'm that suspicious of your move), are you still allowed to provide help with theory questions about the game, so as long as you don't provide gamebreaking information? Because if not, it seems like there's a penalty to us accusing you too early in the game if you could help newer players out.
I have never heard of an IC PT, so I'm asking the mod for clarification on the ability to post in there once dead. I highly doubt it, though.

That said, you should not want to lynch ANYONE frivolously, not just the IC. If I'm scum, I need to swing just like anyone else.

Also, you can quote a partial post by highlighting the text you want to quote and clicking the quote button.

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:34 pm

In post 13, House wrote:I have never heard of an IC PT, so I'm asking the mod for clarification on the ability to post in there once dead. I highly doubt it, though.
I see my mistake, I just read a very long (and constructive) mod pt. For some reason I was under the impression that it was an IC who wrote it. Definitely not the same thing!

But I do wonder about the design decision behind the possibility of ICs dying early. Was the idea that by the end of D1, players would be able to go without their IC if they were lynched or NK'd? I guess that bridge'll be crossed when we get there.
In post 13, House wrote: That said, you should not want to lynch ANYONE frivolously, not just the IC. If I'm scum, I need to swing just like anyone else.
Oh, of course not. I was just wondering what would happen theoretically.
In post 13, House wrote:Also, you can quote a partial post by highlighting the text you want to quote and clicking the quote button.
It gets screwed up on my phone, sadly. But it works fine on my computer!
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Post by House »

In post 14, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:But I do wonder about the design decision behind the possibility of ICs dying early. Was the idea that by the end of D1, players would be able to go without their IC if they were lynched or NK'd? I guess that bridge'll be crossed when we get there.
The two SE slots can also provide some guidance on mechanics and such, but they are not bound to the IC code is conduct and any game theory they provide should be judged on its own merits.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Post by House »

In post 15, House wrote:
In post 14, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:But I do wonder about the design decision behind the possibility of ICs dying early. Was the idea that by the end of D1, players would be able to go without their IC if they were lynched or NK'd? I guess that bridge'll be crossed when we get there.
The two SE slots can also provide some guidance on mechanics and such, but they are not bound to the IC code
is
of conduct and any game theory they provide should be judged on its own merits.
EBWOP

Harlii
Harlii
Townie
Harlii
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Post by Harlii »

In post 11, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I know it's still early in RVS, but does something about this vote seem deliberate to anyone else?
Is your meaning by "deliberate" because I also voted for Smurphinator? I'm not sure what else you could mean by it. If so, I can see your point, though I'm not sure if that really provides that much information yet, given that it's still RVS (I think). It's certainly something to be noted.
makesnosense
makesnosense
Townie
makesnosense
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Post by makesnosense »

VOTE: House
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Post by House »

In post 11, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:

It IS deliberate.

I chose that person to vote because they used 'ph' instead of 'f' in their name.

Hence, not smurftastic.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:26 pm

Post by House »

In post 18, makesnosense wrote:VOTE: House
For casting a naked vote into a convenient wagon...

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Post by House »

In post 20, House wrote:
In post 18, makesnosense wrote:VOTE: House
For
casting
turning a naked vote into a convenient wagon...

EBWOP

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:40 pm

In post 17, Harlii wrote:
In post 11, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I know it's still early in RVS, but does something about this vote seem deliberate to anyone else?
Is your meaning by "deliberate" because I also voted for Smurphinator? I'm not sure what else you could mean by it. If so, I can see your point, though I'm not sure if that really provides that much information yet, given that it's still RVS (I think). It's certainly something to be noted.
Even in RVS, nothing is truly random. By deliberate I meant that there was some sort of alignment-related motivation behind it, be it town or mafia. Obviously it's not enough to build a case, but I think it's interesting that someone put a random vote on someone before seeing how they react.

Maybe that's just my tendency to overanalyze things, especially when there's nothing to make a strong case with yet. I mostly pointed it out because I'm not even sure if it could be read as town or mafia.
House wrote: It IS deliberate.

I chose that person to vote because they used 'ph' instead of 'f' in their name.

Hence, not smurftastic.
Of course, I would not be surprised if it
was
a random vote. It's just that if I still hadn't casted a vote, I most likely would have picked a person no one else voted for unless their reaction to being voted for made me suspicious.

([]------------horizontal rule------------[])

I'm also not sure how I feel about makesnosense's vote or how House moved his vote.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Post by House »

In post 22, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I'm also not sure how I feel about makesnosense's vote or how House moved his vote.
I moved my vote because my first vote was rvs and my second is based on suspicion.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Post by House »

Casting a naked vote on a player under suspicion gives town no additional information to work with and, as such, is scummy.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”