Newbie 1718 [Game Over!] Mafia

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Post by innocentvillager »

Racer64 is being prodded.

VOTECOUNT 1.7
Player
Being voted by (in chronological order)
Number of Votes
1. Kaori Miyazono kraska77
2. Harlii gigabyteTroubadour, Racer64
3. gigabyteTroubadour
4. Racer64 Harlii, House
5. ai_shuuuu RadiantCowbells, DoctorPepper
6. kraska77
7. RadiantCowbells
8. DoctorPepper Kaori Miyazono, ai_shuuuu
9. House

Not voting: Everyone is voting.

Deadline to lynch is in (expired on 2016-06-29 14:56:27)

With 9 eligible to vote, it's 5 votes to lynch

Please let me know if there are errors in the VC, or have any other questions in general. Don't forget to bold such requests to me.
Last edited by innocentvillager on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ai_shuuu
ai_shuuu
Goon
ai_shuuu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:08 am

Post by ai_shuuu »

Hi, I'm Foedufafa replacement.
I will need some time to read. Looking forward to have a fun game with you guys.
Show
Harry: "No, sometimes I sleep."
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:35 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Later today.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:05 am

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

I'm not sure if this is still a useful post because I took so long but I'm writing and posting it anyway.

Also note that I wrote this post over the course of 3 days and I've been rushing to finish it to catch up to this game. If I write something blatantly wrong or contradictory, please point it out.

Spoiler: Harlii (Post #267)
Some Thoughts About Harlii in General (more of a rant about my feelings than any analysis, skip if you don't care)

Harlii is honestly one of the most difficult players for me to read correctly in my short experience (let's say 2 months of chatroom games and 3 of face to face?) of Mafia. I'm definitely more of an emotional thinker who tries hard to be logical, so something about the way Harlii writes seems like he's a genuinely nice person. Yes, that obviously is not a towntell or anything worth considering, but during the early game the combination of a genuine tone and neutral questions made it seem like he was testing the game's waters and trying to get a good sense of everyone's alignment. I have a really difficult time telling if he's a newb!Town who just doesn't know when he should take a stance of his own or a really tactical scum player who had me convinced really quickly. I feel
horrible
lynching a Town!Harlii because he seems like a nice person and I'd feel responsible for cutting his first Mafia experience short, even if it's well-deserved. If we do lynch Scum!Harlii, then I have to say that I think he played a really good game and I admire his ability to blend in, even if he is the first lynch.

I think it's notable that if town!Harlii is real, there seems to be a lot of frustration coming from his posts (#247 and all posts beyond #267) and I really feel like this is something that, after town!Harlii is mislynched, will be looked at as "proof we should have known." Being annoyed or drained from pressure just seems like a more townish way to react to it to me, but I lack both experience and Harlii-meta to make town/scumreads based on someone's tone. Either way, it's another thing that just makes lynching a town!Harlii give me that feeling of guilt you get when you accidentally trip on or kick a puppy.

Mafia, though, is not a game about one's emotions. It's easy for me especially to get tangled up in them, and I'm sort of going against my intuitions because I suppose I
want
to believe Harlii is town. But I think the case against him is pretty solid, so the logical side of me has no problem with lynching him, even if it somehow dismantles the town. I just really had to get this out of my system, especially because it explains why I was so stubborn to read Harlii as town. There are more townier players now and I feel less bad about it now though than I did earlier.

Thoughts on Post #267

For better or for worse, Harlii
finally
pushes his own wagon.

He begins the post with a fair point: MNS may not be the best lynch today because there's so little to get out of it. Its early play seemed scummy, but I see town motivation coming from #277, especially because it could have posted a much more lazy prod-dodge. This is more about Harlii so I'll get to 277 later.

I generally dislike survival instincts from a townie, and I know saying this makes me a massive hypocrite considering House's gambit. Yes, having 2 less townies gives the town less voting power, but it's so much easier to make a case on D2 that it nearly makes up for it. Considering the stats Harlii brought up (I posted them, by the way), town's chance of correctly lynching goes from 20% on D1 to 33% on mislynch/no protection!D2. A 1 in 5 chance to a 1 in 3 chance is a
really
good trade if you want to call it that. There's no better scenario than getting a correct lynch, but if we have to settle for a mislynch it's not the end of the world.

On my defense of being lynched, it was less about me being mislynched than it was House's confidence horribly backfiring on him. Note that in #227, where I try to give my motivations for my defensiveness, my biggest point is that House seemed too overconfident about a flimsy case. If it were RC pushing for my lynch, it'd be a different story because he has been consistently scumreading me and his case against me would be stronger as a result. If House's scumread on me was legitimate and he tunneled on me that hard, I think seeing the unexpected result would throw off his reads and most likely the rest of the town's too. I don't think Harlii's lynch would be
as
disruptive if it were a mislynch, but it's hard to prepare for anyone's mislynch (which is why I constantly ask people to give plans, even if I don't think I could come up with something safe).

The reason that I was more in favor of lynching DP than Harlii (at first) was that DP's theoretical mislynch would be far more informative – it would practically clear Racer without the need of pressure. Now, though, I doubt that it's necessary to rely on a clear like that.

I don't think the plan "I'm going to keep going with my current reads" is as horrible as Harlii makes it out to be. Unless there was an obviously scummy vote on Harlii's wagon, I don't really see any associations being changed with your possible mislynch. The town out of the wagon really seems to differ so I think I'm going to take a few steps back and reconsider that though. Anyway, it's not the theoretically best mislynch, but I don't think there is a mislynch in this town as informative as DP's looked like when Racer/DP looked like a possible scumteam.

House is honestly the last person I'd push a case against but that's because only from my PoV does he look unbearably town, and I
do
at least want to understand scum!House if that's how he flips at the end.

On 1, I agree that many of House's plays were pretty manipulative and shocking. Is that inherently bad? Probably not, but it does look a bit unfair if it's a townie victim. Scum!House did have a lot to gain by putting himself in such a position of power, which is why I started doubting House a little bit at that point. Assuming a scum motivation, it's a smart play on House's part. Thing is, House has taken a lot of risks this game and I see putting himself in that hammering position was also a powerful play with town motivation. Such a crazy reaction test was completely unpredicted by everyone, and that's why it was so effective. Perhaps too effective, seeing as though I stopped it early by agreeing with DP and unvoting him. It still allowed House to strengthen his case on the players involved in that gambit.

For 2, that was an even crazier reaction test. You can really make any dumb play and cry "It was a gambit all along!" but I think the fact that House's case against me was flimsy was an intentional move. If he had a stronger case on me and didn't tunnel so hard, he would look flip-floppy if he said "Just kidding! Giga's town guys!" after that. So, really, he had to look overconfident for his reaction test to work because it proves that it's, well, a reaction test and not a real vote.

For 3, I think 2 kind of gives enough for a justification but House should answer for himself.

Spoiler: Short Thoughts on House's Gambit
What I mean to say was that the gambit idea – fighting with me to see if scum would jump on the opportunity to lynch me – was a brilliant concept. I think most people who read it either sided with House or saw it as a TvT conflict (if anyone sees it as SvS tho hmu ur input is valuable there), so there really was a realistic chance of the play succeeding. I think what stopped an otherwise clever play though was that post #227, posted when I calmed down after the whole thing, might have given people more reasons not to take House's bait.

In a nutshell, the idea behind the play was really clever and it
partially
worked (it got Harlii and DP's attention for sure but I can't comment on whether or not they're scum without a flip to be quite honest), but I think me pointing out how strange it seemed messed it up a little. Is it still fallacious to compliment House on it? Legitimately curious.

Spoiler: Racer64 (Post #275)
I think Racer64 is wildly misinterpreting post #66 in order to make a case. Initially, I thought this might be a town thing to do considering that it shows that he went far back enough to study the communications of two people put under suspicion, but after thinking about it more it's a bit scummy.

Harlii's comment was more likely referring to me constantly saying that I wasn't suspicious of House because of post 11/12, not post 11/12 itself. This seems like a serious stretch to make, especially because I don't think anyone saw 11/12 as a scumhunting move until I clarified that it was in #80!

The scumminess of this post comes from:
  • A: The fact that it's
    such
    a stretch. How could Harlii and I have planned for literally
    all
    of this game's RVS? I placed a completely random vote, as did Harlii. The whole thing started because House voted for the same person as Harlii! That means that we would have had to predict that someone would vote for the same person as one of us, and what's the likelihood of that? It'd make more sense to argue that this is proof of a Giga/House scumteam if anything. Otherwise, it just
    makesnosense
    . (Sorry guys, last time)

B: I think most people (i.e., Town) forgot about the PT being open. It's believable that Town!Racer went back and noticed post 4, but with such a flimsy case against Harlii and I, I wouldn't have brought it up. The post seems more like scum desperately trying to build a case around two players put under suspicion.

I really don't need a spoiler for answering post 277 so:
  • A: I was really stubborn about townreading Harlii around post 155. Yes, that post was mostly fluff, but that's how Harlii has been posting throughout most of the game so I was inclined to believe that that was his playstyle. I let it slide because it gave me an idea of what his reads are, and they were pretty different from what the rest of the playerbase felt at the time.

B: House is so towny it hurts. But only I can really feel that way. House's fight with me really could only have been done by a town player without it backfiring horribly, so unless House is trying to pull WIFOM on me, he's "the safest townread" from my POV. I only felt a little doubt about that because I felt he was too quick to hammer DP, but that wagon's over and I think its effect on the town was a net-positive, so...
And for Kraska on post #279, her case is mostly built around House (most likely) intentionally tunneling on me. And I honestly didn't really think House's vote on Harlii was naked, and he covers that later. Pretty much all I have to say here.

286... is really bad. There was nothing odd about Harlii's comment in 66, like at all. My play at the time was strange and I don't understand why pointing that out automatically means that we're a scumteam.

At this point, if racer's on the same wagon as me then I'm out. UNVOTE: Harlii
I can still buy a scum!Harlii but there's
two
scum and I'd rather go out for someone scummier.

On 313, my votes are generally not to get lynches until I'm completely sure of myself. Harlii seemed very scummy and he has yet to have a wagon on him, so voting for him seemed pretty valid to see how it would go down. It got momentum very quickly which makes me think that at least one of its voters is scum. I think I want to do voting analysis later.

Harlii's 319 is a good post. Honestly, I think that's my readlist too atm, with Harlii in the same position as MNS/KM, maybe higher. My "emotional" take on town!Harlii is explained here, so I don't have to rewrite that. If anything, I feel good about the Harlii wagon because now a town!Harlii has upped his game a bit and is posting less fluff.

On 329, it was {Harlii, MNS, DP} in that order, but it's different now. I don't have 3 scumreads any more, which is bad and why as I'm writing this, I'm trying to narrow it down more. Maybe {KM, DP/Foe, Racer64}? I really don't know how to feel about DP and Foe.

With 332, I honestly can see why a town!Foe would push for DP so hard, which is why I'm not ready to jump onto Foe yet. Will have to see how ai_shuuu decides to take this to make a clearer read on this post, though.

Spoiler: 333, aka KM's entrance
so that quote KM opened up with was not saying we shouldn't suspect House, I was pointing out what seemed like a game design flaw at the time. Giving so much responsibility to a single player seems like it could only go wrong. I no longer feel this way, considering that SE's can help out too and that usually by day 2 most towns get the ropes of this game. Doesn't dismiss KM wanting to read it with the intention of finding out alignments, of course.

I don't really see how saying "accused" implies that in that theoretical scenario, House is scum. I can accuse you of being scum right now but that doesn't mean you are scum until you flip.

The House ""wagon"" was convenient to jump onto at the moment for a scum!MNS to jump on because House's actions were being put into question. The timing of that RVS vote was just bad, and the lack of a joke reason made it seem like a real vote. I understand House's defensiveness here.

I really don't like KM's insistence that the only purpose of a vote is to get someone lynched. People react to being voted for and wagonned onto, and that's how you get reads. RVS wouldn't be a thing if KM were right, anyway.

I still don't think House was thinking anti-town = scum. Note that in 36, House still acknowledges a best-case scenario in which both RC and MNS are just being anti-town.

I don't see where in post 68 Racer implies he doesn't want to lynch House early. He gives him as a nullscum read, yes, but you're reading too deep into that post if you think that's what he meant.

With your comment on 69, are you suggesting {Foe, House} as a scumteam? Why, then, would RC "hath foresaken [thee]" if he's going after the other member of your scumteam?

78 is consistent with 36. An anti-town action can come from a town member, yes, but then you have to ask the question
why?
. With MNS, the answer to that would either be A: RVS, which is null, or B: Anticipating a House-wagon too early, which is very scummy.

I've stressed why I think only a town!House could have pushed me that hard enough times, so I'll leave that be. You might as well say that House breadcrumbed the fact that it was a reaction test with the way he acted.

#340 is also a good post... I know I said I can see why town!Foe might push on DP so hard, but DP finally made better arguments against Foe that I'm now a bit more shaky on the whole argument. I reread the entire thread up to like the early 100s (around the DP wagon's tipping point) and I still kind of side with Foe there. At the same time though, I don't like how Foe was eager to go with a DP lynch but hesitant about Harlii. I'm probably going to read through their interactions yet again because I have no clue who I think is scummier.

Readlist, I suppose:

Townier side

House
RC
Giga (that's me :wink:)
raska
harlii and KM
foe
DP
racer64
Scummier side

My next vote will either be on Racer or DP unless someone convinces me that Foe is scum.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:07 am

when i get the opportunity to come back to this game i will do an ISO dive of Foe and DP. My vote will come after I can get a clearer opinion on Foe vs. DP.

also sorry ai_shuuu for continuously referring to foe, welcome to this game!!
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:21 am

Post by House »

In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:
Townier side

House
RC
raska
harlii and KM
foe
DP
racer64
Scummier side
How can you possibly read anyone else as rowboat than you when you have an indisputable mod-confirmed town roles pm?

No play or read can trump mod-confirmation.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 am

Post by House »

In post 355, House wrote:
In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:
Townier side

House
RC
raska
harlii and KM
foe
DP
racer64
Scummier side
How can you possibly read anyone else as
rowboat
townier than you when you have an indisputable mod-confirmed town roles pm?

No play or read can trump mod-confirmation.
EBWOP

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:26 am

I mentioned this earlier, I tend to put myself in places other than the top of my list because I want to guess where I think people generally read me. It also makes comparing readlists easier, because the list I just put up is pretty close to Harlii's. I guess it's pretty stupid but I've consistently done it.

It doesn't really mean anything if I put myself at the top of the list so I stopped doing that pretty early in my mafia-experience.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:28 am

Post by House »

In post 357, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:so I stopped doing that pretty early in my mafia-experience.
Cool, link to the change?

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:29 am

In post 358, House wrote:
In post 357, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:so I stopped doing that pretty early in my mafia-experience.
Cool, link to the change?
i can't exactly link to chatroom games from months ago, can I? I meant mafia as a whole, not MafiaScum.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:33 am

In post 101, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:{House, gigabyteTroubadour} – Yes, I do tend to include myself in reads in places other than the very top. I think it's useful to gauge how I think the town should be/is reading me, and I think I am around the townier side of null. Anyway, my ploy at the very beginning of the game seemed confusing and didn't end up helping that much (other than getting out of RVS which is always good). But, the goal was to see how the town would be divided about something so innocuous, and I thought it worked (until MNS clarified that it voted randomly... but still, way too coincidental).
In post 248, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:If you're wondering what it is at this point...

Town
House
Foe
Raska/RC

Mafia
Racer64
gigabyteTroubadour

MNS/Harlii
DoctorPepper
if anything i find it weird you point this out now, rather than when I scumread myself :?
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:37 am

Post by House »

In post 360, gigabyteTroubadour wrote: if anything i find it weird you point this out now, rather than when I scumread myself :?
I don't. It was part of a wall.

I tend to tune out on them and just wind up scrolling.

Yes, that's anti-town. Doesn't change the fact it's just part of who I am, though.

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:51 am

In post 328, kraska77 wrote:@RC
I don't understand why you of all players here think foe is scum. Because you said you read DP as town iirc.
In my head it seems there's a strong DP-foe association that feels forced and unnatural as hell from DP's side. It would make a lot of sense if this is a case of distancing gone wrong. DP has nothing on foe, admits to obfuscating foe's posts earlier, but still insists foe is scum. For is apparently DP's strongest scum read, and yet the minute another wagon picks up they quickly join, which is scummy as hell. If you are so damn sure that someone's scum it would make sense for you to stick to your guns and try to convince others to join you.

Like I said you don't read DP as scummy for this to be your reasoning. So why do you think foe is scum?
Okay, maybe. I think Foe is scum independently because his reads feel really posturey like he's declaring them more than coming to them naturally. There's also a lot of points where it feels like he's not coming up with anything organically but rather trying to push an agenda, especially in post 108 which makes me feel physically sick.
I just gut townread DP's defense of me, it didn't feel whiteknighty at all. I could be wrong on that. I like this though, this is good. Are you new to mafia or did you come from elsewhere?
At any rate, I'd rather just lynch Foe today because I'm rather certain he's scum

FTR I also like 340 like House does.
Why hast thou forsaken me?
I really can't explain it but our exchange at the beginning made me feel like he was really town.
He's done stuff that's bothered me since and before then but I feel like his playstyle is just weird and unpredictable rather than him being scum.
My next vote will either be on Racer or DP unless someone convinces me that Foe is scum.
I will be making a full length case on Foe today or tomorrow. Please don't vote until then.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:53 am

Also, I think that if House is scum his partner is *probably* Foe, so I'm not really inclined to look at him again today.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:18 am

@Mod, you have Kaori Miyazono down as makesnosense still on the most recent vote count!

Thank you! Fixed -IV
Last edited by innocentvillager on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
innocentvillager
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
innocentvillager
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:37 am

Post by innocentvillager »

Harlii is being prodded.

VOTECOUNT 1.8
Player
Being voted by (in chronological order)
Number of Votes
1. Kaori Miyazono kraska77
2. Harlii Racer64
3. gigabyteTroubadour
4. Racer64 Harlii, House
5. ai_shuuuu RadiantCowbells, DoctorPepper
6. kraska77
7. RadiantCowbells
8. DoctorPepper Kaori Miyazono, ai_shuuuu
9. House

Not voting: gigabyteTroubadour

Deadline to lynch is in (expired on 2016-06-29 14:56:27)

With 9 eligible to vote, it's 5 votes to lynch

Please let me know if there are errors in the VC, or have any other questions in general. Don't forget to bold such requests to me.
Harlii
Harlii
Townie
Harlii
Townie
Townie

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Post by Harlii »

Sorry, been having a bit of a busy weekend/next week (Assignment and Midterms and Class, Oh My!) but I'm trying to stay as caught up as I can.

As I stand right now, my previous statements on Racer are unchanged (I mean, they haven't posted that I'm aware of so that's not a surprise). However, I also recognize that we seem to be running out of time, and that Foe (well, ai_shuuuu now?) is also pretty high on my list. I'm going to hold off on changing my vote until I see RC's case and evaluate that, but getting onto the foe(ai_shuuuu? Keeping track of replacements is weird) is in my foreseeable future (which I think I made my personal scumread of clear in my reads post). I still have things about the Foe slot that I'm not sure about (specifically I want to hear what RC has to say about their not liking my wagon, because I'm still not sure how that was motivated and am interested in other peoples thoughts)

I was actually reading the potential House scumbuddy as Giga, but that was mostly because a lot of people (myself included, at this point) were reading them as town, so I was hypothesising about surprising scumteams (and also because of their weird play that turned out to be a reaction test, apparently). I can see a case to be made for foe-house, but I'm still more inclined to put House as town, which is also unchanged since my reads post.

Also, as a question to the IC/other experienced players - how do you generally treat replacements? For example, the mns slot was initially replaced by someone who played very weirdly for a day, and then was replaced again. As well, the foe slot was being perceived as scummy, and then has now been replaced by someone who hasn't yet posted anything significant. Do people generally try to wait a bit to feel out replacements, or just go right along with what was happening to their predecessor?
Harlii
Harlii
Townie
Harlii
Townie
Townie

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Post by Harlii »

Oops, I meant the Smurphinator slot in my question, not the MNS slot.
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Post by kraska77 »

I'm looking forward to aishuuu's contribution. foe left a bulk of posts, so comparing the new player's input will inevitably give a lot of clues about foe's slot's alignment.

I will do a proper post tonight, I want to do a proper iso dive on dp, foe, racer, mns and koari(and more if I have time :P)
DoctorPepper
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
DoctorPepper
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Post by DoctorPepper »

Giga, I have to agree with house here. Why did you rank youself third in your list? If you were town you should be #1 town in your eyes. Seems to me like youre trying to appease us a bit there
Show
Keep calm and Drink Dr Pepper :)

Quarantine is driving me crazy :(

Get to know a Pepper!!!
ai_shuuu
ai_shuuu
Goon
ai_shuuu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Post by ai_shuuu »

Harlii
Do people generally try to wait a bit to feel out replacements, or just go right along with what was happening to their predecessor?
Still reading right now,
But As for Foe replacement, i will state that you could go along what was happening to my predecessor. I will try to put up with what Foe tought and defend this slot as best as I can bcs I know that this slot is town.
Also, question directed to me will help me alot to understanding the game state better.
Show
ai_shuuu
ai_shuuu
Goon
ai_shuuu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Post by ai_shuuu »

*as Foe's replacement
Show
Kaori Miyazono
Kaori Miyazono
Goon
Kaori Miyazono
Goon
Goon

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Post by Kaori Miyazono »

In post 348, House wrote:For all your criticisms and accusations, I don't see a vote anywhere.

You better rectify that before people begin to think you're just trying to see if your case sells before you jump on.
This is not a realistic wagon for today. That does not mean I cannot share my opinions and thoughts for people to look at.
In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I don't really see how saying "accused" implies that in that theoretical scenario, House is scum. I can accuse you of being scum right now but that doesn't mean you are scum until you flip.
My point being was that simply accusing someone in a position such as that should not hinder their jobs- While yes, I understand that you think all that power to one person seems difficult to balance around, my point in the one is that by saying accusing him would make him not help anymore like it was a forgone conclusion.
In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:The House ""wagon"" was convenient to jump onto at the moment for a scum!MNS to jump on because House's actions were being put into question. The timing of that RVS vote was just bad, and the lack of a joke reason made it seem like a real vote. I understand House's defensiveness here.
There was not really anything to be defensive over. You were the only one who remotely questioned the vote by calling it deliberate. It wasn't even like hard questioning, it was just a sweeping "Is anyone else seeing it as such?" It was validified by Harlii.

That was House's only action being put into question at this point in time. Upon reevaluation, I can *kinda* see what you mean about the conveniency of the vote, but upon my initial read of the game I did not find that to be nearly as convenient as everyone else (granted, I know I am town). Now, I can't pretend to know why he voted House at that point in time.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is this- You guys were still formulating your opinions on House at this point. Yes, you voiced some concerns but it was not like there was a super huge push on him at the time, it seems like he made a mountain out of a molehill.
In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I really don't like KM's insistence that the only purpose of a vote is to get someone lynched. People react to being voted for and wagonned onto, and that's how you get reads. RVS wouldn't be a thing if KM were right, anyway.
We can chalk it up to a difference of opinion. In the purest most simple form, the point of a vote in a game of Mafia is to lynch someone. That is the point I was trying to make.
In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I still don't think House was thinking anti-town = scum. Note that in 36, House still acknowledges a best-case scenario in which both RC and MNS are just being anti-town.
But when placing the vote, he implied it was both. While I agree with him that reasonless votes are anti-town, I find it interesting who the subject of both of these votes are, don't you? You kind of glazed over this, and this is part of the point I am making.

Yes, the way they voted is weird.

But it's interesting to see the fire he puts into responding to someone suspecting him rather than finding someone. It reads as defensive, and you yourself mentioned you can understand why he would be defensive!

Who in this game has the most to gain by playing so vehemently defensive?
In post 353, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:78 is consistent with 36. An anti-town action can come from a town member, yes, but then you have to ask the question why?. With MNS, the answer to that would either be A: RVS, which is null, or B: Anticipating a House-wagon too early, which is very scummy.
Can you address the other points I brought up please? I will concede this, and I am well aware that anti-scum and anti-town actions come from either alignment, but the question is more in regards to how he was treating Foe and RC in that post.

The issue with your whole interaction with House is that I don't particularly think anyone else was wary of you at that point in time. I was not really concerned with you at any point in the game. If House REALLY wanted to try and get an opportunistic scum to jump on a wagon, why not suddenly push someone who wasn't particularly on anyone's radar? Why you? There was much stronger bait amidst this town.

A second question- If you were scum, would you have joined the wagon on you or would you have defended you against House's push? (This is rather poorly phrased, let me know if I need to reword this.)

A third- If you could say he breadcrumbed it with the way he acted, how could he have expected anyone to fall for it in the first place?

Would you like to know why scum-house could have done this?
Look at your reaction to this. You have him as your lock townread. He can easily bring you later in the game without having to be as concerned about you.

Also, for the record, I sided with you in that debate, in case it was not clear. I feel like House is manipulating both you and Foe a fair amount which means they are not likely a team, so I need to think on a partner for him.
In post 355, House wrote:Questioning gig putting themself in random places in their readslists
This has literally been going on all game, why are you just now bringing this up?
In post 362, RadiantCowbells wrote:I really can't explain it but our exchange at the beginning made me feel like he was really town.
He's done stuff that's bothered me since and before then but I feel like his playstyle is just weird and unpredictable rather than him being scum.
If you can look over some of what I bring up about him and give your thoughts I would be appreciative.
In post 363, RadiantCowbells wrote:Also, I think that if House is scum his partner is *probably* Foe, so I'm not really inclined to look at him again today.
I don't think so, there was some early manipulation of foe if I remember correctly.
In post 366, Harlii wrote:Also, as a question to the IC/other experienced players - how do you generally treat replacements? For example, the mns slot was initially replaced by someone who played very weirdly for a day, and then was replaced again. As well, the foe slot was being perceived as scummy, and then has now been replaced by someone who hasn't yet posted anything significant. Do people generally try to wait a bit to feel out replacements, or just go right along with what was happening to their predecessor?
We share a role pm, it only makes sense that you take all of us into account.
In post 369, DoctorPepper wrote:Giga, I have to agree with house here. Why did you rank youself third in your list? If you were town you should be #1 town in your eyes. Seems to me like youre trying to appease us a bit there
Again, Giga has done this all game. Why is this just now being brought up?
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:40 pm

Post by House »

In post 366, Harlii wrote:Also, as a question to the IC/other experienced players - how do you generally treat replacements?
Replacing out/in is NAI. Your read should remain unchanged, but you can't really expect the replacement to answer for the previous player's posts because they don't know their mindset.

House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Post by House »

In post 369, DoctorPepper wrote:Giga, I have to agree with house here. Why did you rank youself third in your list? If you were town you should be #1 town in your eyes. Seems to me like youre trying to appease us a bit there
She has addressed this twice already. Why not question here reasons for doing so rather than the fact she does it yet again?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”