Newbie 1737 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
SkiddishRaddish
SkiddishRaddish
Goon
SkiddishRaddish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #800 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Post by SkiddishRaddish »

Critique me Goodmorning (and anyone else who's got advice)!

Lol, LMK, I made the same mistake too while reading this game!

Galagya, were you actually checking the thread and not making posts at the end there? (Or did people just get it wrong?) I think Map explained his whys in the dead thread too. His position was really tough even just coming into the game with Oacenth's slot so I can't blame him too much for getting lynched.

So Boring, I guess you
were
using your "I'm sorry but I don't understand" technique during this game afterall. :giggle:
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #801 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Okay, never check the game and don't post. You WILL DIE for it. Legit I've seen it happen on another site.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Galagya
Galagya
Townie
Galagya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #802 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Post by Galagya »

& I get having a tough position, but I still say: next time, Map, even if it seems pointless, please try to post and articulate things! Post your thoughts, in depth, your reasoning, etc. GM said something about town shining through in people's posts(I think it was?), and I think that may well be true enough most of the time. I am actually someone who is quick to second guess myself, and if you had fought against it, I could have flipped & potentially helped assert your innocence. But when given nothing, there's no way anyone can expect a group - or the individuals therein - will give up when they're after someone... if that makes sense? But this is just my own personal opinion! Take it or leave it, I have no real qualms either way.

But yeah, just read the dead thread. It was really amusing tbh! I could feel your frustrations radiating from the screen, haha.
Galagya
Galagya
Townie
Galagya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #803 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Post by Galagya »

I was not checking the post, no. Did people say I was...?

I left the tab open on my browser, but didn't check that tab at all. I think Firefox crashed once and restored them, so perhaps it refreshed? Regardless, I did not read anything or even look at this page until tonight since my previous in-game post.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #804 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Post by goodmorning »

@Galagya: The main thing for me (D1, at least) was that you just sounded a little fake on occasion. It was probably just nerves or something like them and should go away soon if it hasn't already. I didn't have a problem with your content particularly (except the two instances I noted in the Dead Thread & my small reservations in this one) but I think some people might have found you more "too wordy" than I did. I think the timing of your V/LA also didn't help.

@boring: When I play Scum, I focus almost exclusively on this question: how would I be reading this player if I were Town? And then I do that. Sometimes I play AFK IC to draw heat from a newbScum partner, but mostly I try to keep it simple: read people like I would have read them anyway. The biggest trick I ever usually try as Scum is sleight-of-hand - try and make everyone focus on your right hand while you cut the deck with your left. But I'm pretty risk-averse.

Basically: give reads which don't fence-sit (real T and S reads; try to have no more than 1 Null per 8 other players in the game as soon as it's reasonable). Have some kind of evidence for them. Town does scummy shit as often as Scum. Stay active, because people will read that as Town. Don't try anything too flash.

@Skiddish: I said most of it while we were in the Dead Thread - it would have been good if you'd claimed. But now you know! Besides that, maybe be more blunt? And try not to think of PRs as super extra special, because that'll take care of 90% of the stuff I thought was Scum.
EFFORT IS NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT
LA during normal working and sleeping hours EST

Get to know a very pleasant AM.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #805 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Post by goodmorning »

I actually get caught as Scum by people who know me because I tend to softball my partner(s). The second they start getting suspected, we're actually fucked.

Galagya
Galagya
Townie
Galagya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #806 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Post by Galagya »

Skiddish, I honestly saw nothing wrong with your posts & townread you. I think you may have gotten flustered but that's to be expected, especially when people call you defensive when as a PR you have to be - it was a tough situation, & I don't envy you! You know to claim at L-1 now so I won't bother telling you something you already learned. That's about it. I thought your play was fine. ...but I'm a n00b so that doesn't mean much, I guess. Still, thanks for playing! Was neat, no doubt. You hid that softclaim really well hahah

Thanks @ GM! I think that you & Dong were a big help to me, or at least had potential to be(I wish you were around longer).

The hell is "softballing"? I've never heard of that. Do you mean like, you sort of throw punches at them, but weak punches...?
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #807 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Post by boring »

Thank you, gm.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #808 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Post by camn »

In post 801, Gamma Emerald wrote:Okay, never check the game and don't post. You WILL DIE for it. Legit I've seen it happen on another site.
+1
Post or perish.
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
Galagya
Galagya
Townie
Galagya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #809 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Post by Galagya »

In post 736, Gamma Emerald wrote:Galagya maintained a heavy townread on me all game, or at least that's what he says. I'm not sure about his skill as scum, but I think this was done with nefarious intent.
Rereading what I missed in detail now and this literally made me laugh out loud, just saying.

You flipped on me hard, man. Again - so, so sad! TRUST THAT GUT. Even if it's wrong sometimes, it's right more often than not! ...at least with most people.
Galagya
Galagya
Townie
Galagya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #810 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Post by Galagya »

also wanna say again that I didn't actually check the topic. Still find it weird that it said I did when I didn't.
Galagya
Galagya
Townie
Galagya
Townie
Townie

Post Post #811 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Post by Galagya »

Okay this will be my last post coz I need to get up early and be a busy boring person irl again, plus I'm gonna take a break before playing my next game. So bye guys, & one last time: this was fun & thanks @ everyone else who played.
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #812 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Post by kraska77 »

In post 773, boring wrote:I would like to try being town for once, by the way, if the gods of mafiascum will allow that.
Yeah why are u always scum lol
Also we need to play another game together
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #813 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

i'm fascinated by boring tbh, all three of us need to play together but i'm overgamed :?

btw galagya you were rly obvtown when i was watching (like early d1 lol) so i was surprised to see you mislynched :(
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #814 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Post by kraska77 »

Okay next time I find an interesting game, I'm PMing u two
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #815 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:42 am

Post by boring »

In post 812, kraska77 wrote:
In post 773, boring wrote:I would like to try being town for once, by the way, if the gods of mafiascum will allow that.
Yeah why are u always scum lol
Also we need to play another game together
Another game would be fun. I can't be scum everytime forever, right?
In post 813, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:i'm fascinated by boring tbh, all three of us need to play together but i'm overgamed :?

btw galagya you were rly obvtown when i was watching (like early d1 lol) so i was surprised to see you mislynched :(
I think kuror0 and I were lucky this game. If town was more active, we would have been caught.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #816 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:00 am

Post by kuror0 »

well congrats boring and thx for the game everybody. I will be posting my thoughts a little later when I get some free time.
Too lazy to be scum.
nmego12345
nmego12345
Townie
nmego12345
Townie
Townie

Post Post #817 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:47 am

Post by nmego12345 »

Hi, so I was going to get reads for everyone but I got too busy and I couldn't do that, so yeah I got myself replaced.
How well did I play? What was scummy about me? What shouldn't I have done?
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #818 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:11 am

Post by boring »

I thought you did fine, personally. There was no reason to suspect you were scum at the time you subbed out except that you subbed out. As I understand it, newbscum drop out a bit more often than newbtown.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #819 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:19 am

Post by goodmorning »

@Galagya: "playing hardball" might be an expression you've heard. "Softballing" someone is just the opposite of that. So yes, weak punches is a good description.

@nmego: Nothing you did looked scummy. Next time, just make sure you're going to have time to play, or use V/LA if you're only going to be gone a few days.

kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #820 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:24 am

Post by kuror0 »

I think a big problem was that no one knew how to make a case on the people they were gut reading as scum. And like they couldn't provide that since d1 the few wagons that formed were quick to get followers. Also the lack of pressure from many people allow players to present just what they are comfortable with.

My first games I got lynched early because I had gut scum reads(and they were right) but I had no way to prove them to other players, so that comes as just baseless accusations made to throw shade. So I made big efforts to learn how to put my gut into logic and that has helped me a lot. Everybody has their own play style and now that you are starting is when you have to find what suits you and tailor it to work with the game goals. I'm still a very selfish player, I don't work that well with others and tend to be confrontational and I focus too much on getting my own reads. My participation spikes is because I have like 2 phases. 1st I gather as much info as possible and that leaves a gut mark on how I read players(my low posting parts), then I go back and re-read the whole thing or iso a particular slot to try to make my gut read have some logic background and so I can try to persuade others to follow my read(high posting part). The thing is like I try to explain why I do or how my train of thought works if more people had asked for reasons of certain calls I think I would have probably tripped on my own tongue. Due to my tendency to explain so much you could have probably found some flaws or contradictions on logic. Now I can't remember the point of this rant as I had to stop midway for work.

Lmk, Galagya and Gamma need to view things more objectively. you had gut scumreads and didn't follow correctly. mostly of what Galagya and Gamma were calling on me for scum is actually my normal town play but they didn't pressure early enough to make me trip or develop better more sustaineable reads. I think you 3 were too self centered and was easy to draw attention to certain targets while leaving bored flying low. If someone called scum you would pretty much OMGUS right away and if someone called town you would townread back just for that. Gamma said it openly and Lmk showed the same by not pressuring me and not going for some pressure on boring and even got to call her conf town mostly because she wasn't going after him. Galagya was way too passive at the end and to make it worse bad timing on the V/LA (tho not something you can control). The win was for us as soon as you were getting reads out of the omgus. Even if I had been lynched today I buddied Lmk hard enough so gamma or galagya would be blinded by it and the omgus part of lmk would have made him go after the remaining one and ignore boring.

Skiddish was pretty good early day but imo when she got pressured and I made my case against her (immediate follow of boring jumping on her) she displayed a poor game. Actually I had to struggle a lot to make my case against her because I felt I was being unfair and doing misreps on purpose, but I didn't expect so many people to buy it and to join her lynch.

boring I found you were too quick to jump on some wagons and did a good job going unsuspected, but I believe you were trying too much to appease some players and that would have set off my alarms. (keep in mind this is just what I find scummy personally, but I think if town would have been more inquisitive you would be in trouble)

that's all I can remember for now. Any recommendations about my game play, my biggest weakness is that I don't know how to look town but I honestly got no clue how to do that. (I'm talking about general gameplay this is my 2nd scum game ever and the first 1 was just trainwreck for town that ended in 14 pages as someone recalled.
Too lazy to be scum.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #821 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:33 am

Post by kuror0 »

In post 764, grapes wrote:Thanks for playing everyone. Scumteam let me know if you don't want your private topic released for whatever reason within like 2 days please. Congrats again!

Dead Thread
feel free to release the scum pt.
Too lazy to be scum.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #822 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:48 am

Post by kuror0 »

just now I read the dead PT. No one mentions me, they forgot about me :<
Too lazy to be scum.
boring
boring
Mafia Scum
boring
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #823 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:21 am

Post by boring »

@kuror, I did play pretty fast and loose with this game. I figured that with no town PRs to verify anything, any situation we came to would be our word against theirs. I've noticed that site meta favors confidence, even recklessness, over caution.
goodmorning
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
goodmorning
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #824 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:53 am

Post by goodmorning »

Depends on the kind of player you are.