2016 NFL Football

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #425 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:02 am

Post by Wraith »

NFC North

MIN:
I'm riding the Vikings train really hard right now. They're easily my favorites for NFC Champ this season. I think Bradford's performance here is truly a statement - he's a good QB and so many people have disparaged him, and these past few weeks have really proven he's just been held back a lot by his surroundings. With the Rams, it's pretty obvious how badly mismanaged that team has been during his tenure. With the Eagles, Chip Kelly's offensive scheme is obviously not going to work at the pro level. And now in Minnesota, he's surrounded by an excellent coaching staff and a flawlessly-constructed team, and has a lot of chemistry going with some normally average receivers. It's always a sign of a good QB and coach when they are elevating the play of average talent to higher levels.
GB:
The Packers are still really shaky. Rodgers is still a little off his game compared to what we're used to. Then again, the Giants aren't pushovers, so maybe it's an overreaction. But I think they're going to have pretty stiff competition for a Wild Card berth this year. Them missing isn't out of the question - I've seen a lot of pessimistic Packers fans already. That said, their defense seems greatly improved over that of the past couple years. Right now it seems like it's the offense holding them back, strangely enough.
DET:
This team can't catch a break. It sucks, because they're a better team than the record indicates. But the Lions are kind of hovering in the "not pushovers, but not contenders" purgatory that's plagued teams like the Eagles, Redskins, Chargers, and Bills over the past couple of years. That's not a fun place to be consistently. The Lions just, in general, are not a consistent team, and as a result aren't really in the running for the playoffs this year yet again IMO.
CHI:
I feel bad for the Bears. I thought the team had a sneaky amount of promise this year, but apparently not. IIRC the defense has improved compared to last year, but like the Jags, improving but "porous as Swiss cheese" to "sometimes forces 3 & Outs" isn't much of one. While I think they're right to move on from Cutler at this point, Hoyer isn't the answer. I'm already seeing Bears fans get suckered into thinking he's a serviceable starter. Hoyer has done this every year for the past three or four seasons - he'll put up solid numbers to start with, slowly decline to slightly below-average as the season progresses, and shit the bed when it counts the most. He's nothing more than a career backup who will succeed as a stop-gap, not long-term. IMO the Bears need to go to the draft for their future franchise man. They're on course for a high pick and there's some intriguing QB prospects on the market this year.

NFC East

DAL:
The Cowboys have been a big surprise so far. I did think Elliot would be good, but he might even be exceeding my expectations. Prescott certainly has. Personally, if I was Jerry Jones I'd keep riding the hot hand even after Romo returns, but he's released a statement in support of Romo as the #1 guy. The Cowboys look for real once again this year, and they're rather fun to watch to boot (I certainly enjoyed seeing them demolish the Bengals). The Eagles might give them stiff competition for the division and the Redskins aren't pushovers, but I think I slightly favor Dallas for the division to barely edge out the Eagles.
PHI:
Despite their humiliation of my Steelers two weeks ago, I actually really like this Eagles team. Wentz was my favorite QB prospect during the draft and he's quickly vindicated my faith in him. I think they've built a pretty stout defense that kind of snuck up on everyone - Chip Kelly's offensive philosophy was
really
holding them back. They're going to give Dallas stiff competition for the division this year, even though I give the Cowboys the slight edge in that one. Doug Pederson as a coach has completely surprised me. I thought it was a bit of a silly hire, but as the season approached I started thinking "y'know, with all the flashy hirings for teams like the Dolphins and 49ers, Pederson has been so low-key and unheralded he might be the biggest surprise of the bunch." He's certainly exceeded my expectations of him, I thought the Eagles were a cellar-dweller team this year.
WAS:
The Redskins clawing back from a mediocre start really show that the NFCE is, in fact, going to be the most fiercely-competitive division this season IMO. Cousins is looking in better form and the defense is stepping up. Still, I feel they're overshadowed by their division rivals - yes, even the Giants. But this race is going to be an interesting and unpredictable one to watch.
NYG:
The Giants started well but have started completely disappointing me. I picked them to win the division, but that looks very unlikely at this point. I still think the Giants are a good team, but it's starting to look as if McAdoo is a better coordinator than HC. The defense is good, but the offense is really, really holding them back. They should really be doing much better - Eli was excelling when McAdoo was just the OC, and their offensive trio of Beckham, Cruz, and Shepard is one of the more dangerous in the league. Yet they've been thoroughly mediocre on offense so far. In their defense, the Giants have faced a pretty daunting schedule so far - of their five opponents, only the Saints are a bad team, and the Saints are nevertheless always dangerous with Brees at the helm. The rest of their schedule is easier, but it's still going to be an extremely difficult uphill battle for them to recover from this early losing streak.

NFC South

ATL:
Is it truly shocking that the Falcons have been really good early on? Right now they look like runaway favorites to win their division, but I remain skeptical - they did this exact same thing last year and completely dropped the ball. Then again, last year the Panthers kept pace with them, while this year their division rivals are falling apart early. While their win over the Broncos this week is really impressive, I predicted it successfully this week because Kyle Shanahan offenses always start hot early and collapse after midseason. It's like clockwork. Super eerie. But I could be wrong this time. Matt Ryan says their successes so far in a big part lend themselves to the personal rapport he's developed with Shanahan, a major 180 from his reported frustrations with the man and his scheme last year. Alex Mack has also been an immediate and extreme improvement to the Falcons O-Line as well, turning what was a terrible unit last year into one of the league's best this year. I'm going to hold my breath before crowning them kings of their division, but I could easily be wrong here.
CAR:
The Panthers early season collapse here has been one of the season's biggest shockers. Their roster didn't suffer much turnover from last year, in fact getting better on paper with the return of Kelvin Benjamin. But the defense has taken a major step back so far this year. Newton hasn't been playing at the same level as last year. Did Newton just have a great year that was an outlier, similar to Dalton on the Bengals? This collapse of theirs is one of the most baffling mysteries of the season so far - the Cardinals' decline was much more predictable due to the age of many key players, but this one is rather inexplicable.
TB:
I still maintain that the Bucs are a major dark horse contender. If they win tonight, it could right the ship and give them momentum for a run at the division or a Wild Card berth. Winston has been looking really good when not playing the Broncos. The defense is underperforming but I don't think they're a bad unit. If the defense does improve, I do feel they can ride Winston to success this season.
NO:
Not much to say here. I thought the Saints would be a dumpster fire defense with a still-dangerous offense going into the season, and they've fulfilled that prediction to a T. They're going to have yet another bad year, and I think Payton's seat is going to get really hot as a result.

NFC West

SEA:
The Seahawks might have returned to form after that shaky start, but I'm skeptical. Their O-Line remains a dumpster fire. But Wilson is still a magician, and the defense remains stout. With the Cardinals falling behind, though, they should be easy favorites to win back the division this year. I don't think they're Super Bowl contenders, however.
ARI:
The Cardinals early-season collapse so far has been surprising but not unexpected. I had a hunch that this would be the last year their title window was open due to Palmer's age, and it appears that window has closed even earlier than expected. Nevertheless, Palmer chokes too much in the playoffs for the Cards to actually have a chance to win the Super Bowl. And it honestly looks like he's on his last legs here. The Cards offense has been seriously lackluster so far. And at this point, I feel the hole has become too deep too deep for them to have a real chance at winning the division over the Seahawks.
LA:
No, I still don't take the Rams seriously. I won't until they fire Jeff Fisher and get a competent coach. That's really all I have to say. They aren't going to be going to the playoffs starting Case Keenum at QB.
SF:
Pretty much as expected, the 49ers are a dumpster fire team. They're finally benching Gabbert in favor of Kaepernick, which I feel should have been the case in the first place. Not that I'm a fan of Kaep's, I've been watching him steadily decline every year since 2012 and figured his future as a starting QB was limited. But as much as it's easy to blame the 49ers failings on their lack of talent at many positions, it's only partly to blame - Chip's offensive system just does not work on the pro level. Traditional clock management that evenly splits time between the offense and defense will always be better. And this is coming from someone who was really excited about Kelly during his time with the Eagles.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #426 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:44 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

uh no

kaep has lost like 30 pounds, still cant read defenses and doesnt watch film like he needs to.

the 49ers are ass, but gabbert is still a better option for them than kaep. again it doesnt matter cause the 49ers are ass regardless of their qb.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #427 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by Wraith »

In post 426, pickemgenius wrote:uh no

kaep has lost like 30 pounds, still cant read defenses and doesnt watch film like he needs to.

the 49ers are ass, but gabbert is still a better option for them than kaep. again it doesnt matter cause the 49ers are ass regardless of their qb.
Gabbert was so bad Thursday that I find it hard to believe Kaep could be a worse option. At least, not until I actually see him play for the first time in a year.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #428 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

idk if kaep is even physically ready to be playing qb full time.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #429 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 425, Wraith wrote:The defense is underperforming but I don't think they're a bad unit.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No. :neutral:
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #430 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Post by Wraith »

Mike McCoy needs to be out of San Diego by season end. The amount of 4th quarter collapses or near-collapses in just these first six games is just absolutely inexcusable. He somehow even managed to accomplish the astonishing feat of icing his own onside kick recovery.

The Chargers could have been in the playoffs in 2014 and even could have contended this year, but they're badly held back by his terrible coaching.
Show

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #431 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:02 am

Post by PokerFace »

+1^

People were saying he was out if chargers lost both of their last two games. Broncos had many opportunities to win last night but did not. I am not sure McCoy will be safe until SD bye week or not. Depends on what their leaders think. If they have a replacement already picked out I'd ditch McCoy now and have them come in.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #432 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:17 am

Post by Nero Cain »

What poor coaching choices has McCoy really made this year? Like I'm not saying that coaching isn't important but the talent on the field seems like it would have more do that with meltdowns/comebacks.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #433 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Post by AGar »

San Diego also more than likely won't can a coach mid-season. Not really the style of the Spanos I don't think.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #434 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Post by PJ. »

0 percent chance McCoy goes down mid season.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #435 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Post by AGar »

Yeah I looked - the Chargers have fired 1 coach mid-season in the history of the organization. And Gilbride sucked anyways.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #436 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yeah 98. I just looked too lol. But yeah they even gave Mike Reilly a whole year to right the ship after the 1-15 season. Like spanos ain't firing someone midseason again ever I don't think.
Last edited by PJ. on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #437 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Post by AGar »

You also don't bring in a guy you've handpicked as your heir apparent midseason. Assuming they have someone, he is likely internal. You bring him in to that dumpster fire midseason, you set him up for failure.
The moment shit goes bad or he makes one bad call, the fans go nuts
Oh wait, it's San Diego, the fans barely even show up and give a fuck.

But still.

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #438 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Post by PJ. »

I say bring back Marty! San diego can be like Dallas and play 90s football.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #439 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Post by AGar »

Hey man, 90s football has Dallas sitting 4-1. I don't care that the toughest stretch of the schedule is coming up and Dallas has played cupcake games until now... We've already matched last season's win total. Nowhere to go but up from here!

I'm still waiting for the bottom to fall out on Admiral Dakbar. I'm one of like six Cowboy's fans who actually watched 'Bama-Miss St last year.

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #440 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:37 am

Post by Wraith »

Ugh, what a complete shit-show of a game. It reeked of a trap game all week and surprise, surprise, we lost.

-Our defense is so utterly banged up that the center literally could not hold and we allowed a ludicrous amount of rushing yards. Plus it looks like Vince Williams was taken out with a severe injury so we're literally starting a seventh-rounder at ILB. Hopefully
Kendrell Bell
I mean Ryan Shazier can return next week when we get blown out by the Patriots.
-The first moment that spelled death for us this game was obviously Ben getting injured part-way through the second. It completely killed all of our momentum and meant ~1.5 quarters of completely impotent offense (since Ben was totally off his game for the entire third quarter), which just put our defense on the field even more. They were not doing well to begin with but they were just exhausted by the half, likely due to the heat and humidity. It really showed at the ends of both halves, when Timmons puked his guts and we let Ajayi break through for a long rushing TD at the very end.
-Second moment that spelled death for us was in the late second quarter. We drove to the other side of the field by leaning on Bell. He got 8 yards first carry, 7 yards the next, giving us a 3rd & 1. Inexplicably, we go for Landry "I don't know where the fuck I am" Jones to pass on the very next play. Killed the drive, and killed any chance of us going into the locker room at the half with some sort of momentum.

We're probably going to get blown out by the Pats next week like usual. We have a really nasty 3-game streak coming up and we absolutely must win 2 of them to keep this season on comfortable track.
Show

Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon
Location: Welcome to Silent Hill (The living's in the way we die)

Post Post #441 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:23 am

Post by Bella »

I think as big an impact was made by Ben throwing an interception on the play he got hurt as the actual injury.The Dolphins seemed a lot more fired up and confident after that anbd it showed in their play.

Either the broadcasters of the Saints/Panthers game need to fix their line of scrimmage, of one of the Saints DTs was chronically getting away with being offside. Every time Red Zone showed Carolina on offence, it looked like there was at least one infraction from one guy.
Show
Chloroform girl, how have you been?
Don't let me catch you sleeping again
You're only alive because I like you
It's been three years since you've seen the sunlight
But I know you're having fun
Bound, gagged and chained up in my basement
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #442 (ISO) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Post by Wraith »

So I might sink into a suicidal depression in the near future
Show

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #443 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:40 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ben is out next week and the bye week, he
might
be back after.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #444 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:02 am

Post by PokerFace »

Ben has a few more good years in him but as I doubt PIT wants to pull what dallas did last year, they should look for Ben's heir in the next draft
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #445 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 am

Post by Wraith »

Ugh.

On the bright side, Poker is probably right. Ben had the surgery that should give a much quicker timetable for return yesterday (Jesus I pity the shit he's going to go through later in life). And if there was one game on the schedule I'm okay with him missing, it's the Pats game, because we were probably going to lose that one anyways.

On the other hand, Ben always plays like shit when he forces himself back early from injury, and the week after the bye we face the Ravens on the road. So we're probably going to shit the bed there as well and end up 4-4 -_-.

But after this nasty three-game stretch, our schedule isn't too intimidating. 11-5 remains a very viable possibility.
Show

Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon

Post Post #446 (ISO) » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am

Post by Bella »

In terrible news for all fans of pro football, the L.A. Kiss are apparently folding.
Show
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #447 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 am

Post by PokerFace »

AGar wrote:Hey man, 90s football has Dallas sitting 4-1. I don't care that the toughest stretch of the schedule is coming up and Dallas has played cupcake games until now... We've already matched last season's win total. Nowhere to go but up from here!

I'm still waiting for the bottom to fall out on Admiral Dakbar. I'm one of like six Cowboy's fans who actually watched 'Bama-Miss St last year.
The Dallas O-line and Zeke are responsible for most of Dallas's success. Because of them, he hasn't had to focus on winning games, just on not losing them. Dallas's greatest weakness is their defense. If someone can jump out to a big lead early on them, then we will learn if Dak is real deal and can keep pace. PIT plays Dallas week 10 so that should be a good show, as long as Ben is healthy and they don't treat Dallas like Miami
Bella
Bella
Goon
Bella
Goon
Goon

Post Post #448 (ISO) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:06 am

Post by Bella »

That's giving Dak too little credit, imo. He's passed for 200+ yards in all his games, completed 2/3rds or more of his passes in all games bar one, thrown a single interception to 7 TDs, had a passer rating of over 100 in all bar one of his games and has a passer rating for the season so far of over 100, good for 5th in the league behind Ryan, Stafford, Rivers and Bradford (at least, in terms of eligible players - Brady and Garoppolo are better and so is punter Tress Way of Washington overall). I'm not saying there won't be reversion to the mean, but that's far from being carried by the OL and Elliot. Arguably, Elliot is benefiting from teams knowing that Dak can beat them through the air, and so they can't just stack the box to stop Elliot running on them.
Show
Zulfy
Zulfy
Mafia Scum
Zulfy
Mafia Scum