Newbie 1758 - Symmetry (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
HowardRoark
HowardRoark
Goon
HowardRoark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:15 am

Post by HowardRoark »

@Locust: I had a hiatus from the site for a few years, so I cannot attest to any activity tell. Some players will post 10 one liners per RL day with little content. I feel that it can generally only be used as a stitch to close a case or a policy lynch.
Game pace always seems weird to me: too slow when I have time; too fast when I am away for a bit.
IMHO, the blow up and exit of your predecessor was raw enough to keep people from just quick lynching. If it had made it to L-1, the hammer might have been swift and probably a good D2 analysis.

@Hellfire Missile: I appreciate the effort, however I was hoping for more/better. Do you feel that it was helpful at all?

@Human Sequencer: What experience with the other players makes you believe that "half of the people in this game are pretending to act like they wouldn't usually"?

QFT
In post 316, Locust wrote:
In post 310, Human Sequencer wrote:i doubt it's alignment indicative considering he's the IC
Maybe but it isn't pro town either.
@Joshz: Yes. Your appeals to emotion (AtE) were massive. That and your play since have me scratching my head as to why I gave you a break.

@Human Sequencer: Sobolev Space has done some things that I had to question but overall not really reading scum. Jackel98 also doesn't have me reading scum especially with the recent content posts.

@Loopdan: Still need clarification on that chart.

I'm good for hanging Human Sequencer (current vote) or Psyche (policy) today. Joshz is becoming a candidate again.
Help your fellow players by replacing into a game.
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 am

Post by Joshz »

So one guy is sring me for not showing emotion and another for too much. Good plan. The lynch pool today imo is Hellfire Missile, Howard, Psyche and jackel. I'm fairly confident both scum are in that pool.
Hellfire Missile
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Goon

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 am

Post by Hellfire Missile »

In post 324, Locust wrote:Hellfire I would be interested in your reads on other people in this game as well. It would help me understand your thought processes more and (if you are finding it so hard to get reads) may help you out with getting some of your own gut feelings. I would be interested mostly on your reads on Space and Psyche, but anyone else you have a strong feeling about based on their actions and perceived intentions I would also like to hear. The reason IU am asking you this is you currently seem to be here and active and the only people you have had reads on so far seem to be Joshz and a little on me.
i can't really read (no time maybe tomorrow? because reading takes alot of my time) but for Psyche he hasn't read anyone, only voted for one person (Loopdan) and quickly retracted the vote. I'd like to prod him but he's already been prodded.

I just wish he would say something.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

In post 325, HowardRoark wrote:@Human Sequencer: What experience with the other players makes you believe that "half of the people in this game are pretending to act like they wouldn't usually"?
i just get the feeling that most of the people here are acting, regardless of scum or not
a lot of posts read contrived to me

i could get on board w/ a psyche policy lynch
nah
Hellfire Missile
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Goon

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 am

In post 325, HowardRoark wrote: @Hellfire Missile: I appreciate the effort, however I was hoping for more/better. Do you feel that it was helpful at all?
I thought it was sorta helpful?

Atleast to me it was.
Hellfire Missile
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Goon

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:37 am

In post 326, Joshz wrote:So one guy is sring me for not showing emotion and another for too much. Good plan. The lynch pool today imo is Hellfire Missile, Howard, Psyche and jackel. I'm fairly confident both scum are in that pool.
Isn't that like almost all the people who voted for you?
Hellfire Missile
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Goon

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:40 am

for my read on Joshz, my experience on emotion is a lot of caps, ! marks, ? marks, generally angry (from what i can tell)

gonna go through Joshz's posts again, see if i see any emotion
Hellfire Missile
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:42 am

for reading Locust should i be focusing on his posts or Rai's?
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:55 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 325, HowardRoark wrote:@Loopdan: Still need clarification on that chart.
Stats on 377 Newbie Matrix 6 Games (Updated 2 days ago). Relevant info is under "Spoiler: Replacement stats."
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 328, Human Sequencer wrote:
In post 325, HowardRoark wrote:@Human Sequencer: What experience with the other players makes you believe that "half of the people in this game are pretending to act like they wouldn't usually"?
i just get the feeling that most of the people here are acting, regardless of scum or not
a lot of posts read contrived to me
Please point these out.

In post 328, Human Sequencer wrote: i could get on board w/ a psyche policy lynch
I'd rather he just come back and provide some analysis, but if that doesn't happen, I'd rather lynch an unreadable lurking IC than an inexperienced player.
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 am

Post by Joshz »

Hm is not as newbie as he is trying to look
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 335, Joshz wrote:Hm is not as newbie as he is trying to look
Explain.
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:21 am

Post by Joshz »

You can tell if you genuinely look at his behaviour. Iso him.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:25 am

Post by Loopdan »

OK. I already said I wasn't buying it based on his language usage.

I thought maybe you'd uncovered incontrovertible evidence.
Hellfire Missile
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Hellfire Missile
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am

In post 337, Joshz wrote:You can tell if you genuinely look at his behaviour. Iso him.
is this about my language use?
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:32 am

Post by Joshz »

In post 330, Hellfire Missile wrote:
In post 326, Joshz wrote:So one guy is sring me for not showing emotion and another for too much. Good plan. The lynch pool today imo is Hellfire Missile, Howard, Psyche and jackel. I'm fairly confident both scum are in that pool.
Isn't that like almost all the people who voted for you?
Psyche defended me and you didn't vote me until after I voted you.

Btw, if you're scum that clears jackel, Howard, and psyche to me. I don't see scum you playing like this with an se/IC as a partner because they'd give you actual advice and even guide you, whereas all you've done this game is ask a billion questions and scum read the guy scum reading you. I don't think you're an expert, I think you're a person that's played a few times elsewhere who rolled scum and is now acting like a complete noob to throw off the scent. Your partner is likely Sobolev if you are scum. If you aren't scum, stop treating mafia like a book. Day 1 especially is a glorified guessing game, there's no genuine information. Stop trying to make a joke about me using gut reads because that's all day 1 really is. Gut reads and scum trying to influence those gut reads off of themselves.
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:33 am

Post by Joshz »

In post 338, Loopdan wrote:OK. I already said I wasn't buying it based on his language usage.

I thought maybe you'd uncovered incontrovertible evidence.
Nah no evidence, just a feeling. @ hm: your general attitude and language as my above post explains.
Locust
Locust
Townie
Locust
Townie
Townie

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:22 am

Post by Locust »

In post 325, HowardRoark wrote:@Locust: I had a hiatus from the site for a few years, so I cannot attest to any activity tell. Some players will post 10 one liners per RL day with little content. I feel that it can generally only be used as a stitch to close a case or a policy lynch.
Game pace always seems weird to me: too slow when I have time; too fast when I am away for a bit.
IMHO, the blow up and exit of your predecessor was raw enough to keep people from just quick lynching. If it had made it to L-1, the hammer might have been swift and probably a good D2 analysis.

<snip>

I'm good for hanging Human Sequencer (current vote) or Psyche (policy) today. Joshz is becoming a candidate again.
Its day one if policy lynch for inactivity is as good as we get then that's what I would go with. I do agree that just spamming to get a post count up is just as bad as not posting maybe a little more telling but still anti town. Although he has been poked and I am not in a rush to lynch as long as we choose someone before the days end.

I find this quote followed by Psyches period of absence to be interesting as well.
In post 133, Psyche wrote:I think policy lynching and similar bad habits are part of
why
Day 1 in Newbie games results in so many mislynched town.

As I said before i think Joshz is town although it will be interesting going back to this analysis if Psyche was to be lynched and flipped scum.
In post 209, HowardRoark wrote:@Human Sequencer: So you believe (after Psyche calls it) that Joshz is just the village idiot, yet haven't really done much to forward anything else.
In post 55, Human Sequencer wrote:
I don't let up.
201 you seem to be claiming that your vote is actually creating pressure and moving the game forward. You sat on the Joshz wagon then hopped off as it really began to build to chase an absent player.
VOTE: Human Sequencer
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Post by Joshz »

stop lurking and start posting everyone gdi
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

VOTE: psyche
wit's end
nah
Sobolev Space
Sobolev Space
Mafia Scum
Sobolev Space
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Post by Sobolev Space »

Been busy all day. Just skimmed the thread. Will have time for a more thorough reading probably tomorrow when I'm done with all my work.

Some thoughts: Locust has had much townier posts and is being active. Tone is still a little too conciliatory for my liking. Much better than his predecessors though. Keeping my vote here for now mostly because I have no better reads.

Joshz has had some suss activity including the "if you have your vote on Locust right now get it off or you're scum" (paraphrased) comment. Seems indicative of a mindset more focused on being viewed as scum than trying to find scum. Will have to look through his posts more carefully later. Joshz was originally a town read but has been bumped down to null.

Unless Psyche has a flurry of activity soon a Psyche lynch seems pretty justified to me.
Joshz
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Joshz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Post by Joshz »

It is trying to find scum, it's basic PoE rofl I can't believe I have to explain that of all things.
Locust
Locust
Townie
Locust
Townie
Townie

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Post by Locust »

In post 345, Sobolev Space wrote:
*snip*

Some thoughts: Locust has had much townier posts and is being active. Tone is still a little too conciliatory for my liking. Much better than his predecessors though. Keeping my vote here for now mostly because I have no better reads.
I guess conciliatory is my natural style. I am more inclined to see town being jittery rather scum malice especially on day one when there is less to go on.

With that said I still had a scum read on you and still have an unanswered question about who you would want to lynch tomorrow if my wagon was successful?
In post 345, Sobolev Space wrote: Unless Psyche has a flurry of activity soon a Psyche lynch seems pretty justified to me.
Out of everyone in the game right now who do you think is the scum team just on gut alone if nothing else? As of the last vote count we had 5 days left (
@mod is this posted daily, when votes change significantly or just when you have time?
) so still time for Psyche to be replaced or contribute meaningfully. I have my vote there at the moment and would be happy to keep it there if nothing has changed my opinion closer to the deadline. I am not in a super rush to end the day for any reason. Especially with the low activity making hard to read people.
Sobolev Space
Sobolev Space
Mafia Scum
Sobolev Space
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Post by Sobolev Space »

Sigh. I'm up at 3AM doing work might as well check this game. I'm pretty sleep deprived so feel free to ask for clarification if I word anything confusingly or am not making sense.
In post 347, Locust wrote:I guess conciliatory is my natural style. I am more inclined to see town being jittery rather scum malice especially on day one when there is less to go on.

With that said I still had a scum read on you and still have an unanswered question about who you would want to lynch tomorrow if my wagon was successful?
I actually think my style (at least in f2f games I've played) is pretty conciliatory and passive too which is why I'm trying to apply more pressure on people and see how they react this game (we'll see how it works out lol). I think town passivity has been a big problem though and am not sure how we all should address it.

As to your question: if I knew with 100% certainty right now that you were town I would be kinda at a loss for reads (as I am now). I would probably go with some of my gut reads (see below) or want to lynch HM/Psyche for not contributing.

If we lynched you and you flipped scum I could see a convincing argument for Sequencer being your partner.
In post 347, Locust wrote:Out of everyone in the game right now who do you think is the scum team just on gut alone if nothing else?
The past few pages I've actually had a bit of a gut read on Loopdan as scum but I can't see any super scummy posts of his jumping out at me. I'll do a more careful analysis of this tomorrow when I have time to see if my priors are at all justified. Aside from that I think Sequencer leans a bit scum for reasons HR has pointed out. I could see a Loopdan/Jackel scumteam or Sequencer with someone like Psyche or HM. I said above that Joshz is null for me but I really can't see Joshz as a scumbuddy with anyone in the game rn. Again, all of this is just gut so take it with a grain of salt until we have more info.
In post 347, Locust wrote:As of the last vote count we had 5 days left (
@mod is this posted daily, when votes change significantly or just when you have time?
) so still time for Psyche to be replaced or contribute meaningfully. I have my vote there at the moment and would be happy to keep it there if nothing has changed my opinion closer to the deadline. I am not in a super rush to end the day for any reason. Especially with the low activity making hard to read people.
Agree with this 100%. I think we should give Psyche the benefit of the doubt if he starts to make more posts or gets replaced. A day 1 mislynch on the IC slot is basically the best case scenario for scumteam so we should avoid it if we can. Unfortunately, unless Psyche picks up or gets replaced we might have no better option.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Post by Loopdan »

In post 348, Sobolev Space wrote:Sigh. I'm up at 3AM doing work might as well check this game. I'm pretty sleep deprived so feel free to ask for clarification if I word anything confusingly or am not making sense.
In post 347, Locust wrote:I guess conciliatory is my natural style. I am more inclined to see town being jittery rather scum malice especially on day one when there is less to go on.

I actually think my style (at least in f2f games I've played) is pretty conciliatory and passive too which is why I'm trying to apply more pressure on people and see how they react this game (we'll see how it works out lol). I think town passivity has been a big problem though and am not sure how we all should address it.

As to your question: if I knew with 100% certainty right now that you were town I would be kinda at a loss for reads (as I am now). I would probably go with some of my gut reads (see below) or want to lynch HM/Psyche for not contributing.

If we lynched you and you flipped scum I could see a convincing argument for Sequencer being your partner.
In post 347, Locust wrote:Out of everyone in the game right now who do you think is the scum team just on gut alone if nothing else?
The past few pages I've actually had a bit of a gut read on Loopdan as scum but I can't see any super scummy posts of his jumping out at me. I'll do a more careful analysis of this tomorrow when I have time to see if my priors are at all justified. Aside from that I think Sequencer leans a bit scum for reasons HR has pointed out. I could see a Loopdan/Jackel scumteam or Sequencer with someone like Psyche or HM. I said above that Joshz is null for me but I really can't see Joshz as a scumbuddy with anyone in the game rn. Again, all of this is just gut so take it with a grain of salt until we have more info.
In post 347, Locust wrote:As of the last vote count we had 5 days left (
Agree with this 100%. I think we should give Psyche the benefit of the doubt if he starts to make more posts or gets replaced. A day 1 mislynch on the IC slot is basically the best case scenario for scumteam so we should avoid it if we can. Unfortunately, unless Psyche picks up or gets replaced we might have no better option.
Someone remind me to comment on this post after Psyche makes a game-advancing post or is replaced.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”