Ultimate Despair
Ultimate Despair
Goon
Ultimate Despair
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1025 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Post by Ultimate Despair »

In post 712, MagnaofIllusion wrote:What do you think specifically is scummy about those posts?
701 is a post that is not meant to guide town to understanding why hans is town. It's a post that's meant to highlight how townie and self aware mozamis is.

- Junko
Ultimate Despair
Ultimate Despair
Goon
Ultimate Despair
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1026 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:16 pm

In post 737, havingfitz wrote:I didn't like the oopshammer.
I disagree. I think if I had known it was a hammer I would have done it anyway. I wanted FC lynched and extra discussion wasn't doing the town any good.
doomfeathers
doomfeathers
Goon
doomfeathers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1027 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Post by doomfeathers »

In post 1018, Ultimate Despair wrote:
In post 1014, doomfeathers wrote:
In post 1008, Ultimate Despair wrote:Did I? I'm pretty sure I took it as evidence that your stated read didn't have substance behind it, and therefore was potentially insincere. Why do you think I interpreted it as you being antagonistic? Or did you mean that I was being antagonistic to you there?
I meant that you seemed to react as if I was being antagonistic, demonstrating that I had, in fact, demonstrated how easily antagonism can be faked.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I don't think I really understand what you're getting at, or which of my posts to you in particular was an example of this.

-M
Okay, I'll explain again: was meant to be a demonstration of how easy it is to fake frustrated antagonism like you've been posting all game. The tell doesn't apply to this manner of play. It does even less so since you pointed it out on yourself, demonstrating that you knew it existed and therefore could have faked it just to point it out.
In post 1019, lucca261 wrote:
In post 1013, doomfeathers wrote:
In post 1004, lucca261 wrote:doom is posting scummy shit and trying to go for every lynch he can.
Yeah, no. I've kept it pretty much in the pool of (UD, Revan, Superhans) which I think is most likely to contain scum. I'm not wagoning MoI today, and probably not you, Fitz, or Nahdia.
that is the problem. you are not committing to somebody you want to lynch. You are putting the three most scumread player together and saying: "I'm fine with lynching any of these three".

you are leaving to the other players to decide who we will be lynching, and I don't like that.
Okay, gotcha, but that's still hardly "every lynch I can".

I'm trying to decide. I don't want to miss and lose us the game.
In post 1020, Ultimate Despair wrote:
In post 1010, doomfeathers wrote:5-9) What I meant to say is that there isn't a big difference between those emotions. They're all antagonism, and all come naturally to scum. They don't even need to fake them.

Your emotionalism isn't necessarily townie emotionalism. If anything, it would be indicative of scum. And trying to defend yourself with behavioral tells (indicating your knowledge of them) is questionable at best. My FOS stands.
How does antagonism come naturally to scum? Have you ever played scum? Are you normally antagonistic when you get a red PM? Can you provide any actual examples of this?

"Aggressive curiosity" is a term I've heard (and liked) about what makes a fundamentally townie mindset. A scum mindset is sometimes to actively fool town, but more commonly to (at least in ideal circumstances) passively coast while town eats itself (thus the term "active lurking" as a good summary of a typical scum approach). Antagonism is GENERALLY not a scummy trait, unless it's rooted in something fundamentally pro-scum.

With that in mind, what EXACTLY in my emotionalism seems scummy to you? What about my antagonism seems rooted in a pro-scum mindset? The simple fact of my antagonism's existence is certainly not scummy behavior, which frankly should be apparent after having played just a couple games of mafia, so you'd need to connect that emotion to a scummy mindset (or demonstrate that it's faked) for it to have any validity as a tell. I'm curious if you're capable of or interested in doing this.

-M
I'm not saying that the tell makes you scummy, but only that it doesn't prove you townie, and that you bringing it up is suspicious.
In post 1021, Ultimate Despair wrote:@doomfeathers: it seems like you've been mafia once and town the rest of your games (among your completed games). How would you describe how your mindset varied between when you were town and when you were scum?

-M
When I'm scum, I tend to try to imitate my townplay. I'm still aggressive; I just scumhunt normally among townies. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at it.
Ultimate Despair
Ultimate Despair
Goon
Ultimate Despair
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1028 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:28 pm

(mostly) caught up, though I skipped the walls of lucca derptunnelling.

Magna: Tell me why you think you haven't been shot.

- junko
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1029 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Post by havingfitz »

In post 1026, Ultimate Despair wrote:
In post 737, havingfitz wrote:I didn't like the oopshammer.
I disagree. I think if I had known it was a hammer I would have done it anyway. I wanted FC lynched and extra discussion wasn't doing the town any good.
You disagree that I didn't like your oopshammer? Cause I didn't. It just wasn't worth fussing over when you had a plausible excuse with the mod's erroneous L-# in his last vote count.

Do you think Hans would have hammered if he'd known (according to him) that it wasn't an accident? And would that have effected your take on his hammer?
Town 57w-66l :: Not Town 29w-16l:: TBD 2
V/LA on weekends (i.e. RL > mafia)

The shortest GTKAS thread ever!
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1030 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Post by havingfitz »

In post 1024, havingfitz wrote:He was probably in my top 2 or 3 town reads but he's dropped to needs a closer look.
Do some meta digging.
That was quick...I only found 3 completed games by Hans. 2 town and 1 scum.
  • The scum game he was the D1 lynch and I didn't see any suspicions listed as pairs or trios.

1 town game was Newbie so there were only 2 scum...plus I think he was gone before D2 began.

The 2nd town game had scum lynched day 1...but prior to that D1 lynch (when there were still 3 scum) Hans does make a few posts about possible scum duos. Don't see any mentions of trios of scum.
So I think Hans' limited meta negates the tell you found MOI. But I do still like the tell....it just doesn't fit here.

Nahdia_Superfan
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1031 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Post by Nahdia_Superfan »

Fitz, it's felt to me for a long time like you're trying to buddy MoI. I'm not saying that you're scum for it but is there a reason? do you think he's super town or super skilled or something?
havingfitz
havingfitz
Survivor
havingfitz
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1032 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Post by havingfitz »

In post 1031, Nahdia_Superfan wrote:Fitz, it's felt to me for a long time like you're trying to buddy MoI. I'm not saying that you're scum for it but is there a reason? do you think he's super town or super skilled or something?
I disagree with your assessment and no wrt super town/skilled. We've played several times together and I respect his play. I think he's difficult to catch as scum. And I liked the tell he came up with on Hans....whether it held water or not.

lucca261
lucca261
He/Him
Goon
lucca261
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1033 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by lucca261 »

In post 1017, Ultimate Despair wrote:
In post 1009, lucca261 wrote:0) I never said you are faking arrogance. This is again you putting things on my mouth. I said that your tone is of scum trying to get through the pressure.
"Your tone is not an arrogant tone. Your tone is of desperate scum that is trying to disprove anything that is thrown of you because it's a bad case. "
The implication is that I was faking an arrogant tone. This is not me putting words in your mouth, this is me responding to what you said. I acknowledge that I simply could have misread you there, but I certainly don't see how it was unreasonable to do so.

1) You are only trying to answer stuff if people pressure you? If it wouldn't be a problem, you wouldn't answer at all? Regardless of who you are, you are a better player than to not know why I think this.
I wasn't pressured, I was (seemingly) ASKED to provide it. doom asks
Do you have a problem with restating what you've said for the sake of convenience, then?
and then I provided it in . Pressure on me for the most part came AFTER that big post (Hans had me on one of his potential lists, Revan called me/Hans as a possibility, not really much else during d3 up to that point, and the only vote made at that point was Hans on Revan).

So clearly I didn't answer due to pressure. So what exactly is the problem you see here? Is this simply something where you THOUGHT that I was under pressure when I provided that data? Do you dispute my version of the facts of the board as they existed at that point in time?

2) Why is this question relevant? Why should I care about what part of the argument would made he believe it or no. If he is town, he has no reason to not believe it. NO REASON. And I think he's town. So he believes in all parts of the argument. (This is UD asking me a nonsense question, that I obviously won't answer, so he can say: "Hey, lucca doesn't answer questions."
It's actually not a nonsense question. It's asking you to look at the specifics of what he was doing with a critical eye. I was curious if you were capable or interested in doing this. Apparently the answer is no.

3) In every interaction you have with people you have to believe something. You believe that I'm super derp town. I believe that you slipped. What is the problem?
My problem is that your argument that I "slipped" is nonsensical. My problem is that it's difficult to distinguish between lazy townies who push this because they're lazy, and scum who push this because it's an easy argument to use to pretend to be useful.

---

1) the thing that differenciate both is the attack part. town would be concerned with defend yourself by attacking the case. you are trying to attack the player to disprove them.
Town attack the players who attack them all the time. This isn't your first game, this shouldn't be news to you. You may WISH that town only attacked arguments and not people but I don't believe that this it's somehow news to you that people do not, in fact, play this way. Also...

"caught for the wrong reasons"
or
"town who thinks that the case against him is bullshit"

What exactly differentiates the two in your mind? Do you truly think that town who thinks that the case aginast him is bullshit would only attack arguments and not the people making them?

2) yes, I should believe that what UD is doing is not scummy, because UD said so. You have said that you treat people as town unless you think they're scum. I think that you have slipped. It's different opinions of a same situation.
How many times in your career have you seen this argument being made that someone is treating someone else as town (especially as a response to a push) being a "slip" that they know their alignment? How many times has this argument been correct? Again, this isn't your first game, you should have background that you can use to evaluate the effectiveness of this "tell" (hint: it's a terrible tell and virtually no one can reliably tell alignment from this).

-M
0) I was definitely mad at you when I said that. About our interaction as well. Apologies if I disrespected you of some form.
I don't think you're faking an arrogant tone. I think that simply you are not doing an arrogant tone. Let's stop this discussion because it's not getting nowhere.

1) You were being pressured my Magna, right? He would vote you because you didn't answer his questions and all that. That's pressure. But anyway.

2) What are you trying to imply here? Do you think Fitz is scum that's using that to create a mislynch? That he is too good to be using such a dumb tell? Tell me, if I'm not capable of finding out.

3) So do you think I'm lazy town?
My scumread on you goes much further than this "knowledge of alignment" and we both know it. I've been scumreading you since D1, and this stuff happened at D3. Don't go around and say that scum pushing you with easy arguments when you know that this is not the case.

---

1) In a perfect world, we agree that town would attack only the arguments. But the percentage of town who attack the enemy exclusively is way lower than the ones who attack the argument. It's basic psychology. Scum players know that the argument is true, so they attack the enemy instead. Town players know that it's false, so they attack the argument.
What differentiates them both?
Caught from the wrong reasons scum is scum that thinks that they played a good game, and is caught by something dumb like a fake hammer, slip or something like that. Then they normally get mad and all emotional.

Town who think that the case against him is bullshit is town that realizes that a case against him is bullshit. My point against you, and you can clearly see this by how many times I asked you if you townread me, is that I think that Town who think that normally scumreads the player who is doing the case against him. If a player believes that a case is so bad against them, to the point where they get mad about it, they normally think that the only reason someone would do a case so bad is if they are trying to push a mislynch.

But I don't think my case is bullshit. The stuff about the slips, they can be differented viewed by differing players? yes. Maybe it was not scummy and I've been confbiasing you. It doesn't change the fact that I had a scumread on you for a long time and want to see you lynched. And I still believe you slipped.

2) I have seen players get caught on weird tells. I have seen players get caught on fake hammers. I have seen players self-vote as town. Each game is unique. On this game, I think you're scum and slipped.

I'm starting to think that you're scum, but you really believe that stuff about tells and such. And you're not mad about being caught. You are mad about being catch with a thing that you would do regardless of alignment.

I have no experience needed to measure the effectiveness of said tells. If you want to tell me, I would be happy to hear from you.
lucca261
lucca261
He/Him
Goon
lucca261
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1034 (ISO) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Post by lucca261 »

@superhans, : it's just that Revan lurking is scummy. what you and UD did today is more scummy.

@doom, : this are three only three lynches that are happening today. AKA all of the possible lynches.

@fitz, -: like this two posts by Fitz. he is trying to look for scum and seems to be asking the right question. town for sure.

I'm getting annoyed at the lack of content from Nahdia slot.
karnos
karnos
Mafia Scum
karnos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1035 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:56 am

Post by karnos »

Vote Count 3.1
Revan
(0):
Superhans

Not Voting
(8): Magnaofillusion, Nahdia_Superfan, Revan, Ultimate Despair, lucca261, Superhans, doomfeathers, havingfitz

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

(expired on 2017-02-16 12:15:01) until deadline.
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1036 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Superhans »

In post 1002, lucca261 wrote:@UD, : you were voting Mozamis. so, when's he lynched, your reaction is thinking that who hammered is scum? this makes no sense.

---

let's not forget UD though process here:

UD: "Hey, arrogance is a town-tell" --- "I do posts where I'm completely arrogant, appeal to emotion and demonstrate knowledge of alignment" --- "but I am arrogant, therefore I'm town" --- "why? because I'm arrogant, and arrogance is town"

---

in the middle of the UD crazyness, I don't like that Hans jumped at the discussion to defend himself, made no points, and gets out proclaiming UD as town (?) because of his bad excuse.

Hans-UD-Nahdia, anybody?
where do proclaim UD as town? you're misrepresenting me.
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1037 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 am

Post by Superhans »

In post 1031, Nahdia_Superfan wrote:Fitz, it's felt to me for a long time like you're trying to buddy MoI. I'm not saying that you're scum for it but is there a reason? do you think he's super town or super skilled or something?
What do you think about MOI?
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1038 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 am

Post by Superhans »

In post 942, doomfeathers wrote:@lucca216: The "threatening" thing was a Monsters, Inc. quote that I couldn't resist sticking in. I know you're not really threatening me.

@MoI: Are you ready to state your reasons for actually threatening Revan yet?

Is Superhans' jump onto the Magna wagon opportunistism or townish paranoia? Is it possible that Magna looks to scum like a possible mislynch, or that scum just don't want to be on any real wagons at the moment?

No matter who we scumread, we seem to agree that scum are somewhere in (Superhans, Revan, UD). Why don't we lynch one of these more scumread players? That way, we're more likely to hit scum, so we'll have more breathing room while going after others.
Its funny that out of the possible scenarios regarding my push on MOI you identify that I'm either paranoid town, or opportunistic scum, you don't consider for a moment a possibility in which I'm not being paranoid town, and that MOI is in fact scum.

Do you really town read MOI so heavily that you can't consider the fact that I may be right as an actual possibility?
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1039 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:55 am

Post by Superhans »

im finding it very difficult to read through all of UD's content, lots of it does not seem relevant at all, and I didn't like the way he tried to dismiss Doomfeather by getting him to find different types of arrogance from other games.
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1040 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:59 am

Post by Superhans »

Difficult to put my finger on exactly what makes UD's content so difficult to read (not all of it is btw)
but in some of the longer posts:
1) uses rapid succession of questions
2) engages in long back and forth conversations on specific issues sometimes relating to (in my opinion irrelevant) theory.
3) tone is indignant, and overall not pleasant to read through.

this is subjective, and so im not confident in this being indicative of scum, but equally im not seeing anything that i like.
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1041 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:03 am

Post by Superhans »

would like to hear if people agree with me, or think im being pedantic.
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1042 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:05 am

Post by Superhans »

and Revan seems to have given up on this game...
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1043 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am

Post by Superhans »

In post 1032, havingfitz wrote:
I disagree with your assessment and no wrt super town/skilled. We've played several times together and I respect his play. I think he's difficult to catch as scum. And I liked the tell he came up with on Hans....whether it held water or not.
your read on MOI has remained town from mid-D1 and remained ever since? no?
Superhans
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Superhans
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1044 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am

Post by Superhans »

also if you don't think his theory is correct, how can you be comfortable town reading him because of it? that doesn't make any sense.
Nahdia_Superfan
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1045 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:15 am

Showtime.
Nahdia_Superfan
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1046 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:17 am

I want to point out on this page it feels to me like Lucca got scared of me calling Fitz out on the buddying and is now FoSing me for it. Potential scumpartners.
Nahdia_Superfan
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1047 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:20 am

So, for starters, I think that the Doomfeather slot is town and the Superhans slot is very probably town.
I am very sketched out by some of the reactions to my slot after how townread my predecessors were and it feels like it's coming from scum scared that I am going to break the status quo.
I have been playing this as quiet as I can in the hopes of not being the dayvig target but it seems like no other town is going to step up to the plate so I will try to carry as hard as I can while I am alive.
Nahdia_Superfan
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1048 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 am

I also am inclined to think that MoI is town but I am not 100%sies on that read and it's just a lean. If there's a point where there's a choice between lynching one of my real townreads and him you lynch him.
Nahdia_Superfan
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Nahdia_Superfan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1049 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:22 am

So assuming that I am right on my townreads that leaves a pool of four people that we are going to want to lynch in today.

<Fitz, Lucca261, ObnoxiousHydra, Revan>

Return to “Completed Open Games”