Accountant's Utopia Philosophy

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2950 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Post by Accountant »

Obviously the utopia is going to colonize the universe.

If the aliens convert, they can integrate.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2951 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Post by Sesq »

"we dont know if there are aliens"

"we are going to colonize the aliens"

what
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2952 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Post by Accountant »

There are very likely aliens.

Let me lay this out for you.

IF THERE ARE ALIENS AND WE FIND THEM:

- we teach them about the correct path.

- if they convert, they are part of utopia.

- if they don't, they will be removed from the equation to make room for utopic colonization

IF THERE ARE NO ALIENS:

- nothing happens, we colonize the universe

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2953 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 pm

Post by Accountant »

Either way, I'm still saving a ridiculously huge number of lives - even one colonized galaxy would have lives numbering in the quadrillions - and all for the low, low cost of 7 billion humans, some of which are not people.

Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2954 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 pm

Post by Shaziro »

Actually, if they converted, they would also die. You can only save exactly as many people as you kill, by your own logic.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2955 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 2954, Shaziro wrote:Actually, if they converted, they would also die. You can only save exactly as many people as you kill, by your own logic.
Let me show you the train of logic.

By murdering seven billion people (in a legal manner, since this is not considered death under the current law), I allow the utopia to be formed. The utopia will have no war, which means that all the people who would die due to war if the utopia wasn't around are considered saved. The utopia will have no restrictions on medical research, which means immortality is possible eventually, and that will save even more people. Humanity as it stands will never be able to accomplish things like removing poverty or war. If we compare a humanity that is colonizing the universe versus a utopia that is colonizing the universe, the humanity will over time suffer many casualties that will not happen in utopia. Those are lives that are comparatively saved by the utopia.

Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #2956 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:02 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Everyone with immortality wouldn't be a good thing.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2957 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:09 am

Post by Accountant »

Why?

Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #2958 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Attempt to criticly think about a sociaty of immortal humans. Seven billion immortal humans.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2959 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:15 am

Post by Davsto »

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2960 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:21 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 2958, Annadog40 wrote:Attempt to criticly think about a sociaty of immortal humans. Seven billion immortal humans.
Hopefully more than seven billion. But I don't engage with people who don't provide reasoning. If it's so obvious, you should be able to tell me why it's bad.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2961 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:23 am

Post by Accountant »

@davsto: in the show, according to wikipedia, there are many logistical problems as the world's population soars. Of course this will not happen in utopia: there is no utopian who would selfishly breed when overpopulation is a risk. This can be efficiently controlled through a licensing system.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2962 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:27 am

Post by Umlaut »

Why is my "You want to kill everyone who disagrees" loaded language but your "I don't want to die" and references to suicide are not?

I actually agree that forever is the best amount of time to live and that most attempts to argue otherwise are sophistry.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2963 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:28 am

Post by Umlaut »

(Haven't forgotten about the bet btw, I will get around to drafting it and PM you.)
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2964 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:33 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 2962, Umlaut wrote:Why is my "You want to kill everyone who disagrees" loaded language but your "I don't want to die" and references to suicide are not?
It IS loaded language. It's specifically crafted to drive home my point about how futile it is to try to get me to recant my beliefs.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2965 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 2962, Umlaut wrote:I actually agree that forever is the best amount of time to live and that most attempts to argue otherwise are sophistry.
What I hate most is when the pro-death people try to drag ethics into the argument. Oh, no! It's not natural to be an immortal! It's unethical to be anything other than what God intended! Humans should not live past their natural lifespan!

I'll tell you what's unethical, what's unethical is letting thousands of people die every week when we could stop it if we had the collective guts to pour funding into cryonics or nero-uploading research

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2966 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:02 am

Post by Umlaut »

So you object to my wording on the grounds that it makes Accountant look bad, not because it's loaded.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2967 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:03 am

Post by Umlaut »

It should be worded in a way that makes Accountant look good, that's the right way to word things.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2968 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:41 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 2967, Umlaut wrote:It should be worded in a way that makes Accountant look good, that's the right way to word things.
That makes the correct path look good. You should always strive to be as righteous and correct as possible, and that means expressing your thoughts in a way that supports the correct path

Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #2969 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:47 am

Post by Annadog40 »

That is unless it is disobeying the law in the area you are currently in. Then you inwardly support the correct path which dictates you outwardly follow the law, correct?
This is my life now

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2970 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:20 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 2969, Annadog40 wrote:That is unless it is disobeying the law in the area you are currently in. Then you inwardly support the correct path which dictates you outwardly follow the law, correct?
Yep!

The rule I outlined in my last post is just a rule like any other and can be overriden by more powerful rules.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2971 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Umlaut »

In post 2960, Accountant wrote:Hopefully more than seven billion. But I don't engage with people who don't provide reasoning. If it's so obvious, you should be able to tell me why it's bad.
"It's self-evident"
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2972 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:49 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 2971, Umlaut wrote:
In post 2960, Accountant wrote:Hopefully more than seven billion. But I don't engage with people who don't provide reasoning. If it's so obvious, you should be able to tell me why it's bad.
"It's self-evident"
No it's not. If it was self evident, I would be able to see it in the first place.

Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2973 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:53 am

Post by Umlaut »

Like if you just said "There is a way I want the world to be and I'm willing to accept any means of getting it there, discarding all notions of self-determination or reciprocity because they don't serve my tastes," I could sort of buy that as a philosophy.

It's when you say that this way is
objectively correct
and that this is
self-evident
(by which you presumably mean "evident to yourself" since no one else seems to have found it evident) that I just can't leave it alone.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2974 (ISO) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:54 am

Post by Umlaut »

If you think your own principles are self-evident you have to concede that people fail to see self-evident things all the time.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t

Return to “General Discussion”