Dean Harper
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Dean Harper
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 pm

Post by Dean Harper »

spurg and I are also both in newbie 509 together, as of yet, its unfinished.

Votecount up to Post 25

Death's Door (1) - spurgistan
Hypatia (1) - Mr. President
Jennar (1) - Hypatia
KradDrol (1) - vollkan
Mookeh (1) - Jennar
Mr. President (1) - Dean Harper
spurgistan (1) - Mills
vollkan (1) - Mookeh
Ythill (1) - KradDrol

Not Voting (3) - Autolycus, Death's Door, Ythill

7 to lynch.
"If you say live together, die alone to me Jack, I'm gonna punch you in your face."

-- Rose Nadler, 'Through the Looking Glass' (Lost)
Mookeh
Mookeh
Goon
Mookeh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Post by Mookeh »

Jennar wrote:Baby Too Much Scum I believe it was called.
That's right, Open 45 (this forum). We just finished. Jennar was FBI in that game, I was Townie.
Why so serious?
Death's Door
Death's Door
Townie
Death's Door
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:56 pm

Post by Death's Door »

Oh yeah? Well, 2 can play at THAT game...

Vote: Spurgistan
because we NK'd a vanilla instead of a power role. (Jordan thought we might wanna lynch you but we figured Petunho was town-ier and was on to us in a way)
Some solve problems by thinking and talking. Others use rocks.
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:22 pm

Post by spurgistan »

Dude, FWIW I was on to you as scum in a big way, I just thought Jopot was your partner. You gotta admit, we lynched some pretty bad townies.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:34 pm

Post by vollkan »

Let's get a wagon rolling

Unvote, Vote: Spurgistan
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:43 am

Post by Hypatia »

Okay, I will also
but let's hear something from him soon, because this puts him at four.
Mini 779 - Killer in Smalltown Y - Mary Rose the Split Personality
Mr. President
Mr. President
Townie
Mr. President
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 am

Post by Mr. President »

still here - just that i haven't had any games with anybody so i feel kind of left out...:(
spurgistan
spurgistan
Goon
spurgistan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 am

Post by spurgistan »

Death's Door wrote:Oh yeah? Well, 2 can play at THAT game...

because we NK'd a vanilla instead of a power role. (Jordan thought we might wanna lynch you but we figured Petunho was town-ier and was on to us in a way)
OMGUS!!!1!

And Hypatia - what do you want to hear from me?
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:36 am

Post by Ythill »

Thanks for all the games to read. Looks like I'll be busy for awhile.

About that wagon on Spurg: voting without a reason, bandwagoning, and following are all a bit scummy. What are you trying to accomplish here?
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
Mills
Mills
Goon
Mills
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Post by Mills »

Unvote

Vote:Death's Door

I'm getting off this spurgistan bandwagon because it was never my intention to start one on him in the first place - I just wanted him to explain his initial vote.

I didn't like Death's Door's vote for spurgistan. Not because it was a second vote (because at some point on the first day, someone will have to make a second vote inevitably) but just because I didn't like really like the tone of the OMGUS. It seemed like he wanted to chuck out an OMGUS but then pass it off as if he was merely 'randomly' voting due to occurences in some other game.
Mookeh
Mookeh
Goon
Mookeh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:13 pm

Post by Mookeh »

Hypatia wrote:Okay, I will also Vote: Spurgistan but let's hear something from him soon...
That's a weird thing to say. What's he supposed to answer?
Why so serious?
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 pm

Post by Hypatia »

Mookeh wrote:
Hypatia wrote:Okay, I will also Vote: Spurgistan but let's hear something from him soon...
That's a weird thing to say. What's he supposed to answer?
Ideally, something like "I'm here, here's why you shouldn't vote me, this logic is flawed, etc.": a defense (even though I'll admit it's hard to defend against a first day pressure because they're not based on a lot). Bandwagons do reveal important roles, but they also give scum a huge opportunity to trip up.

And since he was a few votes away from being lynched, I wanted to call attention to it, so that others wouldn't pile on and get him really close, and so that he could get a chance to say anything he was going to say.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Post by vollkan »

:)
Unvote
We've already got some stuff to work from now.
Hypatia wrote: Okay, I will also Vote: Spurgistan but let's hear something from him soon, because this puts him at four.
What precisely did you want him to address?
Ythill wrote: About that wagon on Spurg: voting without a reason, bandwagoning, and following are all a bit scummy. What are you trying to accomplish here?
Why is a wagon scummy?
Mills wrote: Unvote

I'm getting off this spurgistan bandwagon because it was never my intention to start one on him in the first place - I just wanted him to explain his initial vote.

I didn't like Death's Door's vote for spurgistan. Not because it was a second vote (because at some point on the first day, someone will have to make a second vote inevitably) but just because I didn't like really like the tone of the OMGUS. It seemed like he wanted to chuck out an OMGUS but then pass it off as if he was merely 'randomly' voting due to occurences in some other game.
Even if it wasn't your intention, why would you want to leave the wagon?

Moreover, why is DD's (Death's Door's) "random" (obviously, no vote other than stupid dice votes are random) vote even worthy of comment, yet alone scummy? If it was OMGUS, why is that scummy at this stage?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:32 pm

Post by vollkan »

Cross-posted with Hypatia.
Hypatia wrote: Ideally, something like "I'm here, here's why you shouldn't vote me, this logic is flawed, etc.": a defense (even though I'll admit it's hard to defend against a first day pressure because they're not based on a lot).
Bandwagons do reveal important roles, but they also give scum a huge opportunity to trip up.

And since he was a few votes away from being lynched, I wanted to call attention to it, so that others wouldn't pile on and get him really close, and so that he could get a chance to say anything he was going to say.
(bolding mine)

1) What "flawed logic" (or equivalent) was there for him to address? You say "not based on a lot" but what arguments were there against Spurg? You seem to be trying to construe this as a serious wagon.

2) That bolded sentence - could you explain what you mean?

3) Why did you not want the wagon to reach close to a lynch?
Mills
Mills
Goon
Mills
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Post by Mills »

vollkan wrote:
Mills wrote: Unvote

Even if it wasn't your intention, why would you want to leave the wagon?

Moreover, why is DD's (Death's Door's) "random" (obviously, no vote other than stupid dice votes are random) vote even worthy of comment, yet alone scummy? If it was OMGUS, why is that scummy at this stage?
I'm not sure if you read (or understood) my post properly so I will reiterate.

1. Why would I want to be on a wagon to lynch someone if there is nothing to suggest they are scum? Where I come from, we don't start bandwagons on people that quickly with absolutely no scum tell. I didn't want to come back the next day to find him lynched and have everyone say "Uh Oh. I guess we were wrong. But I guess that's what happens when we bandwagon someone for no reason! Better luck next time chaps!"

2. I was implying that his vote might not have been random - not in the sense that "no vote is random" but in the sense that I felt he
wanted
to vote for spurgistan and needed a spurious reason to do so (ie. OMGUS, past game context). Obviously, if I felt this about Death's Door's post, it would be worthy of comment by myself and subsequently worthy of my vote. Henceforth, we arrive at my previous post in which I did both of these things.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Post by vollkan »

Mills wrote: 1. Why would I want to be on a wagon to lynch someone if there is nothing to suggest they are scum? Where I come from, we don't start bandwagons on people that quickly with absolutely no scum tell. I didn't want to come back the next day to find him lynched and have everyone say "Uh Oh. I guess we were wrong. But I guess that's what happens when we bandwagon someone for no reason! Better luck next time chaps!"
What a coincidence! Because we don't form random lynching wagons here either!

Joking aside: The point of a random wagon (such as the one I began) is not to move towards a lynch; it is to generate reactions from people. There was never going to be an "Uh oh" because the whole thing is just to see how people react to act to it: Whether people join for serious, or obviously random reasons; whether and how people attack those who did wagoned, etc.

Lynching randomly is very bad (*shock*) but wagoning randomly is very good.

You immediately assumed that the wagon was for the purposes of lynching and jumped off asap. What does that mean? It could mean one of many things: such as (but not restricted to) that you have no idea of how random wagons work, or that you are scum who was fearful of being associated with a wagon which you perceived to be getting into dangerous territory.
Mills wrote: 2. I was implying that his vote might not have been random - not in the sense that "no vote is random" but in the sense that I felt he wanted to vote for spurgistan and needed a spurious reason to do so (ie. OMGUS, past game context). Obviously, if I felt this about Death's Door's post, it would be worthy of comment by myself and subsequently worthy of my vote. Henceforth, we arrive at my previous post in which I did both of these things.
So...casting an OMGUS "random" vote is a scumtell?
Mills
Mills
Goon
Mills
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:54 pm

Post by Mills »

vollkan wrote:
Mills wrote: 1. Why would I want to be on a wagon to lynch someone if there is nothing to suggest they are scum? Where I come from, we don't start bandwagons on people that quickly with absolutely no scum tell. I didn't want to come back the next day to find him lynched and have everyone say "Uh Oh. I guess we were wrong. But I guess that's what happens when we bandwagon someone for no reason! Better luck next time chaps!"
What a coincidence! Because we don't form random lynching wagons here either!

Joking aside: The point of a random wagon (such as the one I began) is not to move towards a lynch; it is to generate reactions from people. There was never going to be an "Uh oh" because the whole thing is just to see how people react to act to it: Whether people join for serious, or obviously random reasons; whether and how people attack those who did wagoned, etc.

Lynching randomly is very bad (*shock*) but wagoning randomly is very good.

You immediately assumed that the wagon was for the purposes of lynching and jumped off asap. What does that mean? It could mean one of many things: such as (but not restricted to) that you have no idea of how random wagons work, or that you are scum who was fearful of being associated with a wagon which you perceived to be getting into dangerous territory.
It could mean that I have no idea how random wagons work
here
or rather, at least, how you perceive they work since I can merely take your personal word for it at the moment due to my lack of experience on this particular site and lack of opinion on this matter from other players at the current time.

Regarding your second suggestion, I find this somewhat ludicrous. While it is certainly possible that I am scum (just as it is possible that I am town) and while it is certainly possible that spurgistan is town (just as it is possible he is scum), your deduction here doesn't really follow. Allow me to use a (flawed) induction proof in saying that I have never taken part in a game where a scum who voted for a townie FIRST (before a bandwagon was even likely to occur) then got off the said bandwagon because he was afraid of being associated with it. Why would any scum want to get off a bandwagon here if they were the FIRST to vote? Only a moron would associate the first person to vote as 'part of the bandwagon'. A scum would usually be able to wash his hands of responsibility by being first on a bandwagon because it wasn't a bandwagon at the point that he got on. Again, that's not to say that my alignment or spurgistan's alignment is in any way proven by this particular occurence of events, but it does make it pretty clear that this second
particular
deduction of yours is pretty ill thought-out.

You are welcome to discuss any other possibilities that you feel you can deduce from my vote and unvote.
vollkan wrote:
Mills wrote: 2. I was implying that his vote might not have been random - not in the sense that "no vote is random" but in the sense that I felt he wanted to vote for spurgistan and needed a spurious reason to do so (ie. OMGUS, past game context). Obviously, if I felt this about Death's Door's post, it would be worthy of comment by myself and subsequently worthy of my vote. Henceforth, we arrive at my previous post in which I did both of these things.
So...casting an OMGUS "random" vote is a scumtell?
I probably should have mentioned earlier when we discussed ourselves for meta purposes that I get frustrated when I have to keep re-explaining something which I find particularly clear (especially after the second explanation). But I digress and in the interest of pleasantries, I will once again explain since you have missed the point for a second time.

No - an OMGUS vote is not always a scumtell.

No - a "random" vote is not always a scumtell.

No - an OMGUS "random" vote is not always a scumtell.

Yes - voting for someone because
you want to
(no doubt for nefarious purposes within the context of the game) and passing it off as OMGUS and/or "random" is a scumtell.

I believe that this last case is what is occurring here based on the general tone and structure of the post. It's what I personally feel and I don't expect everyone to interpret the posts by players in the same way. Subsequently, you may not agree with my particular interpretation but that does not mean that I am any less entitled to it.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Post by vollkan »

Mills wrote: Regarding your second suggestion, I find this somewhat ludicrous. While it is certainly possible that I am scum (just as it is possible that I am town) and while it is certainly possible that spurgistan is town (just as it is possible he is scum), your deduction here doesn't really follow. Allow me to use a (flawed) induction proof in saying that I have never taken part in a game where a scum who voted for a townie FIRST (before a bandwagon was even likely to occur) then got off the said bandwagon because he was afraid of being associated with it. Why would any scum want to get off a bandwagon here if they were the FIRST to vote? Only a moron would associate the first person to vote as 'part of the bandwagon'. A scum would usually be able to wash his hands of responsibility by being first on a bandwagon because it wasn't a bandwagon at the point that he got on. Again, that's not to say that my alignment or spurgistan's alignment is in any way proven by this particular occurence of events, but it does make it pretty clear that this second particular deduction of yours is pretty ill thought-out.
Not true.

The first person on a wagon is equally as culpable and responsible as the last. The first always has the opportunity to unvote (unless scum quick-hammer, but then the scum are outed anyway). If they choose not to, they are supporting the wagon. My idea is not at all ludicrous

Plus, if you read what I wrote:
vollkan wrote: You immediately assumed that the wagon was for the purposes of lynching and jumped off asap. What does that mean?
It could mean one of many things: such as (but not restricted to)
that you have no idea of how random wagons work, or that you are scum who was fearful of being associated with a wagon which you perceived to be getting into dangerous territory.
I was not inferring ANYTHING. I was basically saying that at this stage we can't really analyse it to any great extent - but that what I posited was a feasible probability. Why should I bring it up at all if it is one of any number of possibilities? Simple - to see how you responded.
Mills wrote:
I probably should have mentioned earlier when we discussed ourselves for meta purposes that I get frustrated when I have to keep re-explaining something which I find particularly clear (especially after the second explanation). But I digress and in the interest of pleasantries, I will once again explain since you have missed the point for a second time.

No - an OMGUS vote is not always a scumtell.

No - a "random" vote is not always a scumtell.

No - an OMGUS "random" vote is not always a scumtell.

Yes - voting for someone because you want to (no doubt for nefarious purposes within the context of the game) and passing it off as OMGUS and/or "random" is a scumtell.

I believe that this last case is what is occurring here based on the general tone and structure of the post. It's what I personally feel and I don't expect everyone to interpret the posts by players in the same way. Subsequently, you may not agree with my particular interpretation but that does not mean that I am any less entitled to it.
Okay, so now "voting for someone because you want to (no doubt for nefarious purposes within the context of the game) and passing it off as OMGUS and/or "random" is a scumtell".

I must be missing something:
DD wrote: Oh yeah? Well, 2 can play at THAT game...

Vote: Spurgistan because we NK'd a vanilla instead of a power role. (Jordan thought we might wanna lynch you but we figured Petunho was town-ier and was on to us in a way)
I don't know how you can read anything into that other than him jokingly casting an OMGUS for Spurg because of meta experience. Yes, he
wanted
to vote for Spurg for meta reasons.

I might just as easily have said:
vollkan hypothetically wrote:
vote: Spurgistan for being skeptical of me at the end of Mini 495
If Spurg had voted for me for meta reasons, then I could have made it OMGUS said:
vollkan hypothetically wrote:
Oh yeah? Well, 2 can play at THAT game...

vote: Spurgistan for being skeptical of me at the end of Mini 495
That's essentially the same as DD's. I don't get what makes it scummy in any way at all.

What "nefarious purposes" can you possibly construe out of DD's vote?
Mills
Mills
Goon
Mills
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Post by Mills »

I'm not explaining a fourth time. You've obviously missed the point on both issues.
Games Won:
Town ([color=green]4/4[/color])
Mafia ([color=red]3/3[/color])
Other ([color=blue]1/1[/color])
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Post by Hypatia »

vollkan wrote: 1) What "flawed logic" (or equivalent) was there for him to address? You say "not based on a lot" but what arguments were there against Spurg? You seem to be trying to construe this as a serious wagon.

In the forums where I have played before, town has relied on bandwagons, and on bandwagoning basically everyone, waiting for someone to trip up. A good playstyle? Well, it's different from the playstyle current on this forum.

It's a day one wagon. It's not a serious wagon, unless he somehow does something incredibly scummy, or the town decides he is worth lynching; then it goes from a non-serious wagon to a serious one.

vollkan wrote:3) Why did you not want the wagon to reach close to a lynch?
vollkan wrote: Lynching randomly is very bad (*shock*) but wagoning randomly is very good.
:roll:

Put one and three in your post beside each other. Let them speak to one another. What could they each teach each other?

Has he completely tripped our scumdars yet? Do you want to see him accidentally hammered by a townie, or "accidentally" by a scum? I want to pressure him for information, not lynch him.

Okay. I'm done talking about this for now, since our conversation is basic mafia-playing principles hashed out in excruciating detail. Anndd... have we gotten any information about Spurg? Nope.

Also, I am heading to the frozen North, land of slow dialup, from tomorrow until the 27th. I will attempt to check in once in a while, but my access is very likely to be limited. Happy scumming!
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Post by vollkan »

Mills wrote: I'm not explaining a fourth time. You've obviously missed the point on both issues.
No I haven't. Look, I will ask this in the most simple way possible.

You said:
Mills wrote: Yes - voting for someone because you want to (no doubt for
nefarious purposes
within the context of the game) and passing it off as OMGUS and/or "random"
is a scumtell.

I believe that this last case is what is occurring here based on the
general tone and structure of the post.
It's what I personally feel and I don't expect everyone to interpret the posts by players in the same way. Subsequently, you may not agree with my particular interpretation but that does not mean that I am any less entitled to it.
What is it, presumably in the "tone and structure", which conveys any sort of "nefarious purpose"?

Also, the wording of the first paragraph seems tautological. If I break it down, it basically says that doing something for a nefarious purpose is a scumtell. Unless you draw a distinction between scummy and "nefarious", in which case I ask why doing something for such a nefarious purpose is a scumtell.
vollkan wrote: In the forums where I have played before, town has relied on bandwagons, and on bandwagoning basically everyone, waiting for someone to trip up. A good playstyle? Well, it's different from the playstyle current on this forum.

It's a day one wagon. It's not a serious wagon, unless he somehow does something incredibly scummy, or the town decides he is worth lynching; then it goes from a non-serious wagon to a serious one.
True. But you aren't addressing what I said:
vollkan wrote:Cross-posted with Hypatia.
Hypatia wrote: Ideally, something like "I'm here, here's why you shouldn't vote me, this logic is flawed, etc.": a defense (even though I'll admit it's hard to defend against a first day pressure because they're not based on a lot).
Bandwagons do reveal important roles, but they also give scum a huge opportunity to trip up.

(bolding mine)

1) What "flawed logic" (or equivalent) was there for him to address? You say "not based on a lot" but what arguments were there against Spurg? You seem to be trying to construe this as a serious wagon.

3) Why did you not want the wagon to reach close to a lynch?
Could you please number your responses to these questions.
Hypatia wrote: Put one and three in your post beside each other. Let them speak to one another. What could they each teach each other?

Has he completely tripped our scumdars yet? Do you want to see him accidentally hammered by a townie, or "accidentally" by a scum? I want to pressure him for information, not lynch him.
I don't see your point. One was addressing the fact that you clearly indicated that you wanted Spurg to respond to something. Three was simply highlighting the fact that if the wagon had gotten to L-1, or lynch, we would very likelyhave been handed the scum on a platter.
Hypatia wrote: Okay. I'm done talking about this for now, since our conversation is basic mafia-playing principles hashed out in excruciating detail. Anndd... have we gotten any information about Spurg? Nope.
The point was not strictly to gather information on Spurg but, rather, on everybody else. The reactions of other people are just as important.
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Post by Hypatia »

One and three either cannot coexist or they answer the question of each other.

[quote=vollkan]
1) What "flawed logic" (or equivalent) was there for him to address? You say "not based on a lot" but what arguments were there against Spurg? You seem to be trying to construe this as a serious wagon. [/quote]

[quote=vollkan]3) Why did you not want the wagon to reach close to a lynch?[/quote]

ONE: I was saying that this is a day one page 3 wagon, THERE IS NO LOGIC to it yet. I have explained about how day one wagons don't start off as serious but may BECOME serious, DEPENDENT UPON (among other things) how the bandwagoned player reacts; what s/he says; who jumps in or brings up other information.

THREE: If it's a "serious wagon" (and I assume it by "serious" you mean "it could lynch a player"), AND it's a DAY ONE PAGE THREE WAGON, who in their right mind would want to put someone dangerously close to a lynch from that wagon? What I was saying was, "I will take this bandwagon further. I want everyone to note that the vote count is getting up there so it doesn't put us at risk of doing something stupid." Perhaps we differ in what constitutes "dangerously close to a lynch". I wouldn't say three away is dangerously close, but another vote or two would have put him in a danger zone.

If by "serious" you mean--what exactly do you specifically mean by serious, anyway? Perhaps we can come to a better understanding then.

Oh, and about #2. Do I really have to say that:

RESOLVED: Bandwagons are a major way of getting information on the first day

IN THAT: Scum can get caught in them and do something stupid or counterclaimable; and they also get people talking about the particular bandwagon.

SOME MAY SAY: "Oh no! There is a drawback, we may out a power role!"

BUT I COUNTER: "That is a risk we should take; it is a day start so we have no other info; persons rarely have incentive to give up information unless they are pressured."

And at the risk of being juvenile, you started the "bandwagon" anyway. Please, illuminate your purpose in doing so.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:47 pm

Post by vollkan »

Hypatia wrote: One and three either cannot coexist or they answer the question of each other.
vollkan wrote: 1) What "flawed logic" (or equivalent) was there for him to address? You say "not based on a lot" but what arguments were there against Spurg? You seem to be trying to construe this as a serious wagon.
vollkan wrote:3) Why did you not want the wagon to reach close to a lynch?
They do coexist.

You said that you wanted Spurg to respond to things with a "defense". Question one was getting at the fact that such a wagon, by its very nature, does not require defending against.

The meaning of "serious" (I admit my meaning was ambiguous here) is "based on suspicion". Thus, it is possible to have a non-serious wagon reach a lynch.

If you use this definition, I think the problem is cleared up.
Hypatia wrote: Oh, and about #2. Do I really have to say that:

RESOLVED: Bandwagons are a major way of getting information on the first day

IN THAT: Scum can get caught in them and do something stupid or counterclaimable; and they also get people talking about the particular bandwagon.

SOME MAY SAY: "Oh no! There is a drawback, we may out a power role!"

BUT I COUNTER: "That is a risk we should take; it is a day start so we have no other info; persons rarely have incentive to give up information unless they are pressured."
It is not a "risk we should take". If anybody put the wagon to the point of soliciting a claim, they would be pretty much of obvscum. The correct response would (I am talking very broadly here) be to insist that the wagonee does not claim, and to instead lynch the wagoner.
Hypatia wrote: And at the risk of being juvenile, you started the "bandwagon" anyway. Please, illuminate your purpose in doing so.
I already have (in post 40). But, since you asked, I shall illuminate it for you:
vollkan...illuminated wrote:
The point of a random wagon (such as the one I began) is not to move towards a lynch; it is to generate reactions from people. There was never going to be an "Uh oh" because the whole thing is just to see how people react to act to it: Whether people join for serious, or obviously random reasons; whether and how people attack those who did wagoned, etc.
Bright enough?
:mrgreen:
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Post by Hypatia »

Yellowtext is annoying. It seems that we agree on the purpose of bandwagons (information gathering); so now you know why I didn't want that wagon to creep up into the danger zone.
vollkan wrote: It is not a "risk we should take". If anybody put the wagon to the point of soliciting a claim, they would be pretty much of obvscum. The correct response would (I am talking very broadly here) be to insist that the wagonee does not claim, and to instead lynch the wagoner.
That assumes that we know the wagon is on an innocent. In Day One we cannot know that without something like masons. So in order to turn around and lynch the wagoner, something must happen for the wagonee to grow a little halo. I've read dozens of games on this site and have seen COUNTLESS versions of the "Hey, X is at -2. Claim, X, or we will lynch you." X claims, town evaluates X's claim based on its probability and X's previous behavior. Either X is lynched, or the wagon moves elsewhere.

Now I'm not going to say any more in this line of conversation, because we are both up in the clouds of "How to Play Mafia In General" instead of "Let's Play This Particular Game Now." And we are both dominating the conversation; we should be hearing from everyone.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:40 pm

Post by Ythill »

@ vollkan: I like the way you play. Hopefully you’re town.
In #37, vollkan wrote:Why is a wagon scummy?
I’m not going to entreat a theory discussion. Suffice to say that in my limited experience based mostly on reading, I’ve seen the act of wagoning often decried as a scumtell. I didn’t mean to infer that such behavior was infallible evidence. My statement was made with the intention of prompting further reaction from those involved.

Of the three people you questioned, who do you see as the most suspect and why? Will you back up your early suspicions with a vote?

@ Hypatia: Why is your vote still on spurg?

@ Mills: I understand what you’ve explained to vollkan though I too would like to know what exactly it was in DD’s post that conveyed nefarious purpose. Or was this perception (and vote) based solely on “what [you] personally feel” (41)?
In #41, Mills wrote:Why would any scum want to get off a bandwagon here if they were the FIRST to vote?
Unless one has not visited the forums (and sometimes even then) neglecting to remove a vote at any point is as willful an act as casting a vote. This is far more suspect when the vote is placed for arguable reasons. Yours was a based on a weak, semi-serious information quest as early as post #9 (deep in the random voting phase), and was removed the moment I cast suspicion on the wagon.

Upon jumping off, you immediately turned a weak, gut-based attack back onto the wagon: not simply an inquisition but another quick vote. You say that you didn’t intend to start the spurg wagon, do you intend to start one on DD?

It’s not much but it’s a case. For now, my first suspect gets my first
vote: Mills
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”