Board Game Weekend(7 Wonders & Other Games)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

Your Preferred Timing for 20th June(If you are coming!)

Midnight-2am est
10%
2-4am est
10%
4-6am est
5%
6-8am est
5%
8-10am est
5%
10-12pm est
10%
12-2pm est
5%
2-4pm est
10%
4-6pm est
10%
6-8pm est
5%
8-10pm est
10%
10pm-Midnight est
15%

Total votes: 20

Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 47, Xtoxm wrote:1. I think that from the larger perspective it's all about {final Victory points gained by an action, direct or indirect} vs the cost of the action.
Yep!

2. Always valuable to begin collecting Science cards in Age I, since the return on investment is +7 directly for just one tuple, and then +3,+5,+7 so on for *each* additional one collected just from the squares.
I don't think I played a single science card in the games I won. One set of science is only 10 points, which is ~3.3 per card which is...awful. You really gotta get 2 sets, or a big stack. Whether I try science depends on my early hands and which wonder I got dealt. Of course, if only one player is going for science and the other players keep passing those cards to him, he's going to run up the numbers and it'll look OP.

3.3 per card is pretty good if you've collected them early game though! And once you collect them early game you always can go +3,+5,+7 and the guild card too. My point is that you just set up a science base and then take later science cards as free points.

3. Military cards in Age I seem to be somewhat wasteful; the +8 and then +12 in Ages II and III are better targets. Again, only if your opponents aren't putting in too much effort into military as well - if they aren't focusing too hard, as time goes on you could throw in a +2/+3 military card.
The other early age cards are weak too. Way I see it, if I win military on both sides with 4 military cards, that one shield was the most valuable Age I card I played. Also, just getting a head start puts off your neighbors from even joining the war, which has unseen value.

That psychological factor is there, but I would focus more on quick-adding military at later points. Early age - the science cards seem to be best value to me, followed by commercial and resource, and perhaps even just filling up wonders.

4. Chain cards are pretty useful and I never paid attention to them, often got stuck in Age III because of that!
5. The Commercial structures allowing me to buy for 1 gold instead of 2 were very useful.
Still figuring these two categories out, I tend to value the caravansary and forum very highly, but have not found the other commercials too useful yet. I try to have at least enough resources to build a few Age III building without being reliant on chain/trade. I feel like chain strategies are particularly vulnerable to being blocked by other players.

Chain strategies, especially with larger numbers of players where there's a smaller chance you'll encounter the cards you want. But for 3-4 I'd think they're valuable?

6. I didn't factor in my neighbor's cards too much into my own decisions; I think there might have been a number of points where I took "meh" cards when I could've discarded to get +3 gold and not let my neighbor get good
cards. If everyone began factoring this in it'd be more interesting.
I'm always looking at the cards the neighbor i'm passing to wants, and factoring that into my decision.
enomis wrote: 2) To being collecting science cards, you would need to get the gray resource. And to collect all three science cards, you would need to have access(buy or have) all three gray resource. So definitely not always valuable. I feel that it is good that in age I, you already think about if you want to splash green(1 set ,2set) or go full green(full science). Otherwise, I would just skip the science cards.
I've sorta been able to get them just by buying resources from neighbors for the most part :P If I hadn't already started Science in Age I I'd mostly just skip them later yup

3) There is use in military cards in age 1. Imagine you have 1 military card in age 1, your opponent will need an extra military card in age 2 to win you in war. This is just not beneficial for him as age two cards are worth more points than age 1.
A good point scale expected per age is 3 for age I,5 for age II,7 for age III
But for just a +2 difference. There's use, but my argument is that the weight of returns for military is higher towards later stages compared to other cards, where you benefit more from early investment.

6) I always factor in neighbour's cards but honestly, in a 6/7 player game, it is always best to go for your own development. Unless you see your neighbour being your direct competitor in winning.
In 3/4 player games is where factoring neighbour's card is Crucial.
I think in 6+ player games
everyone
should focus on their neighbor cards to add a fun layer of competitiveness.
Of course, these are mostly just gut-impressions and yet to be tested :D
Xtoxm wrote:
In post 46, enomis wrote:Thanks for the game guys. The board games were real fun.

If we want, we can make this a monthly / bi-weekly event if there is enough interest.

I think a weekly event would be too much and just fatigue us out.(If there is enough interest, I will glady admit I am wrong.)
Yeah, i'm down to do this regularly.
Thanks for playing, all.
I'm down for weekly, I don't think I can ever really get fatigued of board gaming myself ;)
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:17 pm

Post by Knightmare491 »

Military cards are more powerful in age 3, but you really don't want to play more than 1 military card in age 3. There are many other cards which would give you lots of points directly and you want to focus on playing them.
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:40 pm

Post by enomis »

Guys, do indicate your interest and this will let me know if we have enough for 13th June.

If not the next one will probably be 20th June
"you must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom

Homertve: "Oh, and by the way, your tail is on fire."
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:52 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

I'm okay with the time that was there last weekend. Is anyone a regular on Pokemon showdown? I generally only play rand batz for fun. We could do something with that.
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:20 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

I'm down for some showdown
also might be down for the next regularly scheduled 7 wonders night
To be clear: quack
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:30 am

Post by enomis »

In post 54, SleepyKrew wrote:I'm down for some showdown
also might be down for the next regularly scheduled 7 wonders night
Nice! I think this weekend's boardgame might not happen due to the low interest. The next one should be on 20th June.
In post 53, Knightmare491 wrote:I'm okay with the time that was there last weekend. Is anyone a regular on Pokemon showdown? I generally only play rand batz for fun. We could do something with that.
I used to be quite active on smogon to play pokemon showdown. Was quite competitive I think but I am inactive for very long already. So probably not any good now.
"you must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom

Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:03 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

Are we doing this tomorrow?

~Rectiplanes
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:13 am

Post by lilith2013 »

i’m busy so i can’t make it. as a sidenote, can we also have friday night/saturday morning timeframe be an option? i’m almost always free on friday nights
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:28 pm

Post by Knightmare491 »

That would be Saturday morning for me which is cool.

~Rectiplanes
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:03 pm

Post by enomis »

In post 57, lilith2013 wrote:i’m busy so i can’t make it. as a sidenote, can we also have friday night/saturday morning timeframe be an option? i’m almost always free on friday nights
I am cool with Friday Night. Next week :)

enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Post by enomis »

Let's vote which you prefer?
----------------

People who are coming next week for the boardgame weekend(19th/20th June):

No preference
-------------
enomis
Knightmare

Friday
----------
Lilith

Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:44 am

Post by Xtoxm »

In post 57, lilith2013 wrote:as a sidenote, can we also have friday night/saturday morning timeframe be an option? i’m almost always free on friday nights
the reverse is true for me :/
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:10 am

Post by lilith2013 »

That’s fine, I think I’m free this saturday
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Post by enomis »

Ok, then I think we can go by event basis then for whether we host it on friday or saturday.

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 am

Post by vonflare »

I might be free for this

friday works better for me, but i can probably swing either day
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by enomis »

In post 64, vonflare wrote:I might be free for this

friday works better for me, but i can probably swing either day
Welcome :).

Currently, I think this weekend will be saturday due to the availability of most people!

But for the next one, we will determine again based on who is attending!

Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Post by Knightmare491 »

Same time as last?

~Rectiplanes
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Post by Auro »

Cool, I'm down! :D
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:35 am

Post by lilith2013 »

yeah i think 10pm est again?
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:06 am

Post by enomis »

Yeap same time!

lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 am

Post by lilith2013 »

hi, can we try flipping the time so it’s in the morning for est and nighttime for asia/au timezones?
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:46 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

Yeah, why not.

~Rectiplanes
enomis
enomis
Mafia Scum
enomis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:09 pm

Post by enomis »

Sure, if everyone else is better with the time. I think we can vote for the timings?

But if it's nighttime for asia/au timezone, I can only do Saturday Morning(for est)

vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Post by vonflare »

I'm free in the morning or the night, just not between 5:00-9:00 (est)
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Post by lilith2013 »

yeah i was thinking 12 hours earlier than our current schedule