MTG Draft - Round 2

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

MTG Draft - Round 2

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:13 pm

Post by Uraj45 »

There seems to be enough people here that play magic, so I'm wondering who would be interested in playing a mr/ds/fd draft tournament?
The necesary programs are:
http://www.magic-league.com/Guides/ApprDownload.php Apprentice. download the full download and follow instructions.
http://www.themanapool.net/mtgplay/netdraft.asp Netdraft. Download Netdraft 2.0 and the Fifth Dawn Patch.( you may have to download darksteel too. run it and see if you have it)
Here's how it'll work:
When you sign up, give days and times that you would be available for the draft session. I'll set up pods of about 6-8 based on when you're available and give you a date and time. (I'm playing too, and yes there's really no way for me to cheat. more than anyone else). You draft and then build a minimum 40 card deck with as many basic lands as you want and then save that file in Apprentice format.
There will then be 4 rounds of 1 match. Find a time to play your opponent and play best 2 games out of 3. Then each person reports the result to me. IE: 2-1 0-2. etc. I'll then use these results to pair the next round. After the 4 rounds, the top X players( where x is dependant on the number of people playing) play single elimination until there is 1 winner.
So. . .anyone interested? Anything you need elaboration on or want to learn about feel free to ask. People who have never drafted before are welcome, but practice is recomended.
Players

Uraj45
Yaw
SinisterOverlord
MMCL
MulcheleonO
Round 1
Uraj vs Yaw Yaw wins 2-0
MulcheleonO vs MMCL Mulcheleon wins 2-0
SinisterOverlord gets a bye.
Round 2
Uraj vs SinisterOverlord
Yaw vs MMCL
Mulcheleon gets a bye
Score: Match Game
Uraj 0-1-0 0-2
Yaw 1-0-0 2-0
Mulcheleon 1-0-0 2-0
MMCL 0-1-0 0-2
SinisterOverlord 0-0-0 0-0
Last edited by Uraj45 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:54 am, edited 18 times in total.
Tacitus velut nox. Vigilans velut umbra.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:58 pm

Post by Yaw »

As long as it doesn't start before September 6ish, /in.
Success breeds suspicion
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:40 am

Post by SinisterOverlord »

I'll give it a shot.
MUAHAHAHAHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
Scalebane
Scalebane
Goon
Scalebane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:10 am

Post by Scalebane »

I'm so in.
Flying Dutchman
Flying Dutchman
I never think
Flying Dutchman
I never think
I never think

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 am

Post by Flying Dutchman »

/in.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:57 am

Post by massive »

Would love to do it, but I'll have to check and see how my Internet connection likes downloading the patches. (Dialup RAWKS!)
"1AM .. not a good time to think I started mixing massive and mathcam" - Totem, DP8
"unvote mlaker; vote massive; It's like MeMe/mneme and Corsato/Cadmium" - Dragon Phoenix, Newbie 38
PLEASE NOTE: I actively avoid being online on weekends! Don't replace me just because of this!
Scalebane
Scalebane
Goon
Scalebane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:48 pm

Post by Scalebane »

I'm behind a major, major firewall. so if I can't get it to work, I'll have to drop. I'll know within a week.
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:30 pm

Post by Uraj45 »

That's not a huge problem. Being behind a firewall means you can't host. You will still be able to call people.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:45 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

i play quite a bit, but haven't drafted. what exactly is good practice?
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Riven
Riven
Goon
Riven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:27 pm

Post by Riven »

I would if it was Type 1 :P
Oh the memories

I'm an old school MTG player.. sold all my cards ages ago.. finished just before 5th ed arrived on the scene.

In fact I still have 1 card.. "Riven Turnbull".. just so happens that Turnbull is my last name, and that particular legend was my fav colours, Black & Blue. Pity its not a good legend though.
Last edited by Riven on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:44 pm

Post by Uraj45 »

Well, the best way to practice is to draft! Find some player's and go for it.A good place to look for drafters is Magic-League. It's a couple of IRC channels that can be reached by in your IRC client typing /server irc.zirc.net and then /join #magic-league and /join #draft4you. Alternatively, you can use the java plug-in here: http://www.magic-league.com/Channel/App ... 04ec0b514e
I reccomend finding someone to play your deck against from the draft at the end.
In addition, if you'd like to, you can read some articles about drafting(I found these very helpful personally). Some stuff simply is not intuitive. I reccomend these articals.
http://www.wizards.com/leaving.asp?url= ... 25&origin=
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/sw17
If you're intrested in more, there's a whole column on Limited (drafting is a limited format) http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mt ... nformation .
NOTE TO ANYONE: PLEASE DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED. I'M ONLY OFFERING RESOURCES AS AN OPTION TO PREPARE.
Drafting is quite easy, and if you want to you can jump in with little preparation. You just have to learn some stuff to draft well.
inHimshallibe,I'm tentatively putting you on the list. You want to be in?
Finally, if you have any difficulties with the mechanics or using the applications, feel free to drop my a PM, or preferrably, an IM.
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:46 pm

Post by mikehart »

/in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta see if my dad will let me dl appr and netdraft cause i lost em last HD format.
V/LA every weekend for awhile.

I officially owe Maruchan.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:31 am

Post by Yaw »

Riven, I'm old school too. Got out when they were just starting with Homelands. So if I can do it, so can you. ;)

Otherwise, we do need to do some preparation in here. In addition to a date and time, I'd suggest that everyone get an AIM account. The way NetDraft works, someone's computer acts as a server and everyone else logs on to their IP address. It would be best if we all just met on AIM at the time of the draft, figured out who's doing the server action in there, and then all get the info we need to log in. I don't think it's the best idea to be posting an IP address in here -- and if the person acting as a server is on dialup it's kind of useless.

Also, we should agree beforehand on what we're drafting (that program can handle anything, so if a majority of people wanted something specific there's no reason we can't work that in), time limits, etc. I'd personally be for no time limit if we're drafting anything from when I stopped playing onwards -- it's a major disadvantage for me to have to make good decisions in 60 seconds when I have to read every single card for the first time.
Success breeds suspicion
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:45 am

Post by Uraj45 »

Having an AIM account is definately helpful.
As for the other stuff: I had planned for this draft to be MD5 (that's Mirrodin/Darksteel/Fifth Dawn) and I would really like to push for that. However, if there's a significant amount of people who don't want to that I would also be wiling to draft Onslaught or Odessey draft. I would not like to go back farther than that though. Note that everyone must be drafting the same thing.
Also, Netdraft supports a maximum of 8 people. If more than that show up(16 is an ideal number, but it looks like we probably won't be getting that) the group will be split into two pods. These two pods must draft the same way but not necesarily the same darte and time.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:07 am

Post by Yaw »

Yeah, the more than 8 thing is why being able to set up a draft on the fly is the best idea. I just suggested AIM because I think most of us already have accounts.

I don't know anything about the Mirrodin, Onslaught, or Odyssey blocks. I just wanted people to be aware that there were possibilities out there, for if someone had a preference. That said, I'll look over the blocks at some point this week and enter a preference of my own, if you want. I'm still sticking to my request for no time limit, though.
Success breeds suspicion
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:32 am

Post by Uraj45 »

I see no reason to give a timelimit. But if you don't really know anything about the blocks, please just go with Mirrodin.
Riven
Riven
Goon
Riven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:23 pm

Post by Riven »

Riven, I'm old school too. Got out when they were just starting with Homelands. So if I can do it, so can you.
Heh, I started during Legends.. and spent way too much money over the next few years.

I havent so much as looked at any of the new cards or rules since i stopped. Think i'll leave it this time round.. just dont have the time to do all the catchup etc.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:52 pm

Post by inHimshallibe »

/in i think i can handle it
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Pie_is_good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Pie_is_good
Massclaim_is_Good
Massclaim_is_Good

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:54 pm

Post by Pie_is_good »

I played the onslaught block, and I'm still following. But I've drafted before, and didn't really like it. Is there a way I could follow the games without playing?
I am a stand-up dude of genuine flyness.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:14 pm

Post by Yaw »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by following the games, Pie...

Apprentice can only handle two players at a time, from my understanding, so spectating doesn't seem possible. We'll probably have to organize something in thread regarding who plays who, and winning/losing reporting. That said, I don't think it's a great idea for us to be posting draft lists or details of games played while the tournament's going on. I'm willing to take notes and post games I'm involved in after the tournament's over, though. I don't know if the other players are interested in doing that or not.
Success breeds suspicion
ZONEACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
ZONEACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE
There's no F in ZONEFACE

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:34 pm

Post by ZONEACE »

id do it but ive never been able to get Appr. to work for me
Late twenties, early Thursdays
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:12 am

Post by Yaw »

I'm not available next week for this Monday or Thursday nights. Anything else should be fine.

Afternoons would probably be better, if possible, as that would mean FD could participate without staying up until 4 in the morning...
Success breeds suspicion
MMCL
MMCL
Lord of the Rings
MMCL
Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:22 pm

Post by MMCL »

I've played one game with Yaw and it seemed like fun... I picked it up quickly.... I don't mind coming last either... so count me in (as long as Yaw helps me practise some more)
Candice
Candice
Goon
Candice
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:19 pm

Post by Candice »

In, but only if you need another player... I am available every evening after 5:30p EST except Saturday... If you don't need another player, never mind. :p
"Don't let go; never give up, it's such a wonderful life..."
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:14 am

Post by mikehart »

I dled Netdraft and Apprentice and im available anytime after 3pm CDT(-6 GMT) during the weekdays and pretty much anytime on the weekends
V/LA every weekend for awhile.

I officially owe Maruchan.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”