Newbie 1260: a Tribute to the Buttonvan.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1260: a Tribute to the Buttonvan.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 am

Post by bv310 »

This is the greatest and best Newbie game in the world.

Tribute.

Playerlist (bolded are confirmed):

metsnfins
Lance

Nefres

Servanto
Cheery Dog
Disturbed_One
Code_X (SE)

BwBurke (SE)
Thor665 (IC)

Rule Set:

1. Play to your win condition.
2. Keep your posts at least moderately polite and respectful.
3. If it's not in the game thread don't quote/post/link it.
4. Don't discuss the game outside of this thread unless it's with people identified in your role PM.
5. No hidden text or cryptography.
6. Red is my colour, don't use it.
7. Prods go out approximately three days without a post and I start looking for a replacement after approximately thirty six hours.
8. Votes should follow the format of
Vote: Player Name
10. If deadline is reached without any player reaching a majority of the votes a No Lynch will occur.
11. As the mod I reserve the right to change anything at anytime.

Set Up:

2 of 4 a Semi-Open consisting of:
1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia RoleCop
5 Vanilla Townies
2 of the following (no duplicates): (Cop, Doctor, Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie)

Sample role PMs:

Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:
Welcome to Newbie 1260, you are a Vanilla Townie!

Abilities:
None.
Win Condition:
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town aligned player survives.

Cop Role PM wrote:
Welcome to Newbie 1260, you are a Cop!

Abilities:
Each night you may investigate a player to determine if they are town aligned or scum aligned.
Win Condition:
You win when all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town aligned player survives.

Doctor Role PM wrote:
Welcome to Newbie 1260, you are a Doctor!

Abilities:
Each night you may choose a player to protect, any kills that target them during that night will fail.
Win Condition:

Jailkeeper Role PM wrote:
Welcome to Newbie 1260, you are a Jail Keeper!

Abilities:
Each night you may choose a player to imprison for the night, any actions that attempt that night will fail and any kill that targets them that night will fail.
Win Condition:

Scum Role Cop Role PM wrote:
Welcome to Newbie 1260, you are a Scum Role Cop! Your partner in crime is [Partners Name] the Scum Goon.

Abilities:
Each night you may investigate a player and learn what their role name is. Also each night you may communicate with your partner here and decide on a player to kill (note that you must also select who is going to carry out the dastardly deed).
Win Condition:
You win when the mafia controls half the votes or nothing can prevent that from occurring.

Scum Goon Role PM wrote:
Welcome to Newbie 1260, you are a Scum Goon! Your partner in crime is [Partners Name] the Scum Role Cop.

Abilities:
Each night you may communicate with your partner here and decide on a player to kill (note that you must also select who is going to carry out the dastardly deed).
Win Condition:
You win when the mafia controls half the votes or nothing can prevent that from occurring.
Last edited by bv310 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am

Post by bv310 »

Role PMs are out. Please make sure that you know that the proper role PM is the one that includes THIS ROLE PM SUPERSEDES THE PREVIOUS PM. This is due to an error on my part. Everything (setup, alignments, etc.) was reselected at random
Lance
Lance
Goon
Lance
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 am

Post by Lance »

Confirmed.
Code_X
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am

Post by Code_X »

Comfirm.

Lance you scum?
Lance
Lance
Goon
Lance
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Post by Lance »

Nope. How 'bout you?
Code_X
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Post by Code_X »

Nope. Good job too.

I'm terrible as scum.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Post by Thor665 »

/Confirm that I hate /confirm stages of the game.

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: Lance

Code_X can be tentatively townish for now, though he's a wuss town.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

/confirm.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Post by Thor665 »

@Cheery Dog - why no vote?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:05 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I don't see the point in putting a name out while there are still people to confirm. Also reading other threads on here, I thought we needed a certain number of confirmations before we started the day phase anyway.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Post by Thor665 »

The mod included no rules about needing confirmations for votes to count.

What advantage do you see in waiting for everyone to go "/confirm" before you start voting? What will we learn that will change your initial action?
How about you just pretend everybody said that and then make the post you'd make at that stage, only make it right now.
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Post by Disturbed_One »

/Confirm.

Random
Vote: BwBurke
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 10, Thor665 wrote:The mod included no rules about needing confirmations for votes to count.

What advantage do you see in waiting for everyone to go "/confirm" before you start voting? What will we learn that will change your initial action?
How about you just pretend everybody said that and then make the post you'd make at that stage, only make it right now.

If replacements come, I don't want to start getting confused as to who my vote is on. Since a the RVS stage will probably just result in nothing for a while, do I really need to join in on it straight away?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Post by Thor665 »

@Disturbed One - Why is Burke scum?

@Cheery - so...you're afraid you'll get confused as to where your vote is if someone replaces...okay...

You don't need to join straight away - is potential confusion your only reason to avoid doing so?
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Post by Disturbed_One »

In post 13, Thor665 wrote:@Disturbed One - Why is Burke scum?

@Cheery - so...you're afraid you'll get confused as to where your vote is if someone replaces...okay...

You don't need to join straight away - is potential confusion your only reason to avoid doing so?

Burke may or may not be scum. I don't know either way. Right now we're in the random voting stage, so my vote is just a random one.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Post by Thor665 »

How did you decide on him as opposed to, say, Lance (who is scum) and Cheery (who is trying to avoid giving info for weak reasons)?
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Post by Disturbed_One »

In post 15, Thor665 wrote:How did you decide on him as opposed to, say, Lance (who is scum) and Cheery (who is trying to avoid giving info for weak reasons)?

My decision to vote for him was completely random. I simply put the names of all the players into an internet randomizer and picked the first name I got.

Why is Lance scum?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Because he mirror copied a question in order to look useful.

Unvote: Lance
Vote: Disturbed Dan

Way more scummy than Lance, apparently read the page (or, worse, didn't) and decided that a random number generator was more likely to find scum than reacting to anything that had already been done in thread.
A vote on Cheery is also acceptable.
Lance
Lance
Goon
Lance
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Post by Lance »

In post 15, Thor665 wrote:How did you decide on him as opposed to, say, Lance (who is scum), etc.

In post 17, Thor665 wrote:Because he mirror copied a question in order to look useful.

Your thought process bamboozles me. I wasn't trying to look useful. Code_X jokingly asked if I was Scum and I jokingly asked him likewise. Nothing more complicated than that. I thought we were still in the oh-so-much-fun confirmation stage, so I didn't think anything more than that was necessary.

I do have to mirror your feelings about Cheery Dog's reluctance to place a vote, though. This is only my second game on MafiaScum, but in my first game, people were replacing out throughout the whole game. One guy was replaced immediately because he never confirmed, two more flaked out on day one, and two more flaked out on day two. There's never going to be a point in the game where all the players are set in stone. Don't get too attached to that player list in the first post, because I guarantee that at least half of them are going to be replaced throughout the course of the game.

Having said that, it's your vote and you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Sit on it all day if you want. Vote for me if you want. Vote for bv310 for messing up our original roles. Whatevs.

---

Also, I'd like to make a personal request: if you don't have an avatar yet, please get one ASAP. Trying to differentiate between several avatar-less players is no fun.

On that note: VOTE: Disturbed_One Please get an avatar, ya hooligan.
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Post by Disturbed_One »

In post 17, Thor665 wrote:Because he mirror copied a question in order to look useful.

Unvote: Lance
Vote: Disturbed Dan

Way more scummy than Lance, apparently read the page (or, worse, didn't) and decided that a random number generator was more likely to find scum than reacting to anything that had already been done in thread.
A vote on Cheery is also acceptable.

You still haven't elaborated on why you think Lance is scummy. His posts consist of a confirmation and "I'm not scum". If he's town, he should answer that he's not scum because if he said he was, he'd be lying. If he's scum, he would also answer that he's not scum because he wouldn't want to be caught. Care to elaborate?

I read the thread, I don't particularly find Cheery suspicious at all either. I can understand his hesitance, I was a little confused about whether the game had actually begun or not myself. If he's telling the truth, I can understand him not wanting to cause any potential confusion.

It's the "random" voting stage, so why not?
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Post by Disturbed_One »

^ Nvm first paragraph, I misread your post and thought you were talking about me (as I mirrored your question). No further clarification is required.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Post by Thor665 »

To answer your final question then - no vote is ever random.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 13, Thor665 wrote:

It may possibly be, the mafia games I've played elsewhere haven't had replacement options so I'm currently unsure of how they will be effect me.
Random votes I've made in the past have never stuck, so I don't actually feel obliged from my past experience to make one this early in this type of game.
We'll just have to see if that changes now I've come onto this site.
Code_X
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Post by Code_X »

VOTE: Lance
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:06 am

Post by Disturbed_One »

In post 21, Thor665 wrote:To answer your final question then - no vote is ever random.

Apparently I misunderstood how things work around here, thanks for clarifying. When you talked about RVS initially, it seemed like your vote for Lance was completely random. You didn't give any reason as to why you voted for him at the time of the vote, so I assumed it was because you were randomly voting.

That said,
Unvote: BwBurke

At this point I am not thoroughly convinced that anyone who's posted so far is scum. I'd like to see Cheery vote sometime soon, it's been clarified that there's no reason for his hesitance. Also I have no problem with any of Lance's posts, I don't find anything particularly suspicious about his exchange with Code_X.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”