Newbie 1292: Class of '13 mafia. GAME OVER

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1292: Class of '13 mafia. GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Post by theamatuer »

Hey, its senior year, you’ve all sent your applications, and you guys done well enough to deserve a break. (Top 10 in the school even). So you told them you’d be doing some hi-tech project for a while, and now you have a week of quality frat time with each other in the woods. So at the first night, gossip reveals that every single one of you enrolled for Stanford. No problem. You all laugh it off and go to bed. The next day, only 9 of you get up. The 2nd place student has this little problem of a huge knife sticking out of his heart.
So there’s one of you that really wants to get to that school there. So much that they’re willing to kill to do it. Now without internet, cell phone coverage, or GPS, whatca top 10 minds gonna do?

Spoiler: alive
Navarre**
thurmane
Maestro (IC)*

1. newbie that finished 1 game
(SE) semi-experienced (player that has finished more than 2 games)
(IC) Inexperience-challenged (player that serves to help answer questions and mechanics to the newbies)
*=prodded
striked through
=replaced

Spoiler: dead
Name User VANILLA TOWNIE
penguin_alien 1 VANILLA TOWNIE
*tyrfi1
keybladewielder VANILLA TOWNIE
2birds1stone (SE) TOWN COP
TIGER MAFIA GOON
saintkerrigan VANILLA TOWNIE

Spoiler: modkilled
You go here if you break any of the rules in the intro post, or break any site rules (can be found on upper right corner of screen)
Theres no one yet, so lets keep it that way

IT is now Day 4. Day 4 ends in (expired on 2013-01-12 02:45:05)
Last edited by theamatuer on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 am, edited 26 times in total.
Its just whatever
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Post by theamatuer »

This game uses the 2of4 setup. More info here

Game Rules
(copied and altered slightly from Nexus)

Rule 0: Don't be a jerk.
- If you are being a jerk, you run the risk of force-replacement or modkill. You may or may not be warned.

General:
- Please adhere to the site rules.
- Do not discuss this game of mafia outside of this thread unless your role PM allows you to do so.
- Day phases will last 3 weeks.
- Night Phases will last 72 hours.
- During night phase, no talking may be done in the thread.
- Do not quote PM's from the mod at all (real or fabricated). Paraphrasing is acceptable.
- If you have any questions about your role, or the game, feel free to PM the mod.
- Votecounts will be applied as soon as possible when either of these are met
24 hours have passed
1 page has been reached.
I will try to keep VC on top of page, but school and whatnot may inhibit me from doing so

Voting/Player Actions:
- All votes must be in bold format:
vote: Nexus
for example.
- Try to unvote before voting. Unvotes must also be in bold.
- You may not vote for people that are dead or nonexistent.
- You may vote No Lynch.
- Voting tricks are not acceptable. If you misspell someone's name intentionally, but I get the gist of it, the vote will count.
- A lynch will occur once a majority decision is reached. If no majority is reached by deadline, then no lynch shall occur.
- Following a lynch, it is twilight. You may continue to post until I lock the thread and declare it night.
- If you are killed, one Bah! type post is permitted. No game related information must be relayed during them, however.
- If you have a Night Action, you may submit it during Night 1 and each subsequent Night. No other time.

Activity:
- You are expected to post at least once every 72 hours. If you haven't posted for 72 hours, I shall prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 48 hours (either in thread if it's Day, or via PM during the Night) then I may replace you.
- Similarly, if you require more than three prods, I will force-replace you.

Mechanics:
-
Red
is my colour. Please don't use it.
- Confirm by how your Role PM tells you to once you are ready to play. Once there are 7 out of 9 confirms, the game begins.
- Do not edit your posts.
- No impossible/hard to read text, or cryptography.
- The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
- If you need to get the mod's attention, either PM me, or bold the text you wish to draw to my attention.
- I reserve the right to alter/remove/add any rules as I see fit. You will, of course, be notified if that happens, however.

Sample town role PMs.

You are a vanilla townie
You do not have any powers outside of your voice and your vote

You win when all threats to the town have been killed
game thread is here
Please confirm via PM with [REDACTED]

You are a town cop
Once per night, you can investigate 1 person. You will find if he is town or scum.

game thread is here

You are a town Jailkeeper
Once per night, you can jailkeep 1 person. That person will be protected from any kills that night, and they cannot preform any action.

game thread is here

You are a town doc
Once per night, you can protect 1 person. That person will be protected from any kills that night.

game thread is here

You are a mafia goon
You are part of the mafia with [REDACTED], a mafia rolecop
During the night, you can talk with your buddy [REDACTED]
In addition, one of you can decide to kill someone during the night.

You win when mafia constitute the majority of the town, or when nothing can stop that from happening.
game thread is here

You are a mafia rolecop
You are part of the mafia with [REDACTED] a mafia goon
During the night, you can talk with your buddy [REDACTED]
Once per night, you can investigate 1 person. You will learn the role of that person.
In addition, one of you can decide to kill someone during the night.

You win when mafia constitute the majority of the town, or when nothing can stop that from happening.
game thread is here
Last edited by theamatuer on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Its just whatever
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Post by theamatuer »

Role PMs have been sent. Please confirm via PM by the keyword given in the PMs. If you did not recieve a Role PM, PM me.
All 7 confirmed recieved, game shall soon commence.

For the 2 unconfirmed people (you know who you are), please confirm via PM with the word given. If you do not reply before 3 days after this post, you will be replaced
even if you posted on this thread.
Its just whatever
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:51 am

Post by theamatuer »

VC 1.1
Navarre-
Name user-
penguin_alien-
Slapsticks-
gladoscc-
tyrfi-
tiger-
2birds1stone-
Maestro-
WIth 9 alive, its 5 to lynch

Day 1 starts now. Day 1 will end in (expired on 2012-11-05 12:51:16)
Its just whatever
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:21 am

Post by Maestro »

Hello Newbies! I am your friendly neighborhood Inexperience Challenged player, or IC for short. My goal, regardless of alignment in this game, is to represent the many players on this site and hopefully teach you all a little something about the game of Mafia.

My actions in this game are governed by the article Being a good IC, which contains many good pointers for all players to follow. Courtesy towards other players, among other things, is something I really appreciate, respect, and hope to exemplify in my games.

The SE's and I may (quite often) use references to aspects of game theory and/or game abbreviations that you don't recognize or don't understand. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me about anything ever. My answers to random questions may or may not be correct, and my answers to all things Mafia are subject to discussion. I suggest you read this site's Wiki pages on Mafia Theory and Commonly Used Abbreviations. They will help you immensely in this and all your other games on-site. Also, if you're extremely new to the game, check out this Glossary of articles written on terms you should know.

The Newbie queue, and especially your first game, are the best place to learn about the game and how it is played on-site, so please don't waste this opportunity!

...and I shall leave you with a quote from the Wiki page on "Being a good IC."
Thestatusquo wrote:Be friendly, be helpful, and don't do stupid things.

Let the games begin!

VOTE: tiger .....Rawr
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 am

Post by theamatuer »

All players confirmed. ALso added a rule on VCs
Its just whatever
tyrfi
tyrfi
Goon
tyrfi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 am

Post by tyrfi »

Aloha!

I'm Tyrfi, but I also listen to any variation of Ty/Tyr/Tryfi/trfyi. This is my second ever game of mafia, but I have been reading mafia games for quite some time, I just never had the time to participate in one.

A question for everyone: How much experience do you have with mafia?

A question for the IC (or anyone else who has an opinion on it): Given that this is a newbie game, do you think we should be looking to draw any conclusions from the 'confirm codes' the mod insist on sending back to him? Because from what I've seen, it's quite unusual.

Also, why Tiger, Maestro?
Slapsticks
Slapsticks
Goon
Slapsticks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 am

Post by Slapsticks »

VOTE: Navarre

What up.

I've played a decent amount but never in a game of this length and depth.
tiger
tiger
Goon
tiger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:24 am

Post by tiger »

Hello everyone, I will be one of the two SEs in this game. This is my third ever game on this website and I have not played for months prior to this, so forgive me if I am slightly rusty.

Also VOTE: tyrfi because that name seems to mean nothing.
tyrfi
tyrfi
Goon
tyrfi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:26 am

Post by tyrfi »

In post 7, Slapsticks wrote:VOTE: Navarre

What up.

You'll need to bold the vote in order for it to count. You can use [ vote] Name here [ /vote] tags for it. (remove the spaces)

Where and what have you played before?
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:51 am

Post by penguin_alien »

VOTE: Slapsticks for formatting evilness.

This is my second newbie game here, and I've played elsewhere online and in person before, the latter dating back around ten years or so.

tyrfi, why do you think this is useful information?

With regard to the confirm code, I've seen it done elsewhere on this site, either included in the posted rules to make sure people read them or via PM to make sure people actually read their role; there was a brief discussion post-game in my first newbie game about how deliberately not reading your role to avoid scum nerves was against site policy. But if the IC or SEs want to elaborate further, there may be nuances I don't know.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:16 am

Post by Maestro »

p_a says it all! I also second his question as to why you think some of those questions will lead to useful information...because I don't think they will.
We know everyone's relative skill level with Mafia (at least, with MafiaScum) from the Newbie/SE/IC designation(s). What more do you need and why do you think you need it?

Tiger was a random vote.

VOTE: tyrfi

Pseudo-random vote based on early preference of RQS over RVS...ew.
By the way, a general warning: I become snarky and/or happily humorous when I'm in a particularly good mood or when the game is particularly fun. Hopefully you all will get to see that side of me.

By the way Slapsticks, the others are also right in that regard: if your vote isn't bolded or tagged it won't count.
tyrfi
tyrfi
Goon
tyrfi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 am

Post by tyrfi »

In post 10, penguin_alien wrote:tyrfi, why do you think this is useful information?

In post 11, Maestro wrote:p_a says it all! I also second his question as to why you think some of those questions will lead to useful information...because I don't think they will.
We know everyone's relative skill level with Mafia (at least, with MafiaScum) from the Newbie/SE/IC designation(s). What more do you need and why do you think you need it?

It could be useful to know if someone has experience offsite or is a total 100% beginner at this who will need to be explained terms and the general idea of the game. Another reason for asking is to see how people answer rather than what they answer. For example, I find it interesting Tiger is downplaying his own experience a little bit.

As for RQS/RVS, they both serve the same purpose, to get people talking, how and why it happens doesn't matter to me, I just go with whatever seems right at the time. I've found that 100% random votes do nothing to get conversation starting, as everyone just ignores them. Only one person had posted before me, and I couldn't find a reason to vote for him(although I did briefly consider voting for Maestro for being overly friendly), so I went with a random question.
Navarre
Navarre
Townie
Navarre
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 am

Post by Navarre »

VOTE: maestro

His dp is too bright for town.
Name User
Name User
Goon
Name User
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:33 am

Post by Name User »

Oh hey, 2birds!
This is my second game, the first one wasn't newbie, and I think I did alright.

I'm kind of glad there's an IC, though, hey IC, is it alright if I don't RV?
gladoscc
gladoscc
Townie
gladoscc
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 am

Post by gladoscc »

Hi! I've played Mafia before on other sites, so I'm not inexperienced. It is indeed my first game on mafiascum which from what I see is quite different from Irc mafia.

I'm going to VOTE: name user because what kind of username is that? Also, I may type from my iPhone sometimes like this - Sorry for any spelling mistakes.
2birds1stone
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 am

Post by 2birds1stone »

In post 14, Name User wrote:Oh hey, 2birds!
This is my second game, the first one wasn't newbie, and I think I did alright.

I'm kind of glad there's an IC, though, hey IC, is it alright if I don't RV?
I didn't realise that game was your first.

Vote: Name User

For not RVing.
W/L/D = 10/10/3

I drew my avatar myself!
Slapsticks
Slapsticks
Goon
Slapsticks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Post by Slapsticks »

In post 9, tyrfi wrote:
In post 7, Slapsticks wrote:VOTE: Navarre

What up.

You'll need to bold the vote in order for it to count. You can use [ vote] Name here [ /vote] tags for it. (remove the spaces)

Where and what have you played before?

VOTE: Navarre

Epicmafia, in person, and on some forums not dedicated to mafia but which had a few games running.
Navarre
Navarre
Townie
Navarre
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Post by Navarre »

I have played epicmafia and a couple IRL
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Post by Maestro »

Haha if everybody starts FoSing me for being "overly friendly" this is not going to be a fun game. I'm always like that gaiz, check my prior games. I hardly ever get upset over this site's games, it's just not in my nature.

@Name User: Yeeeaaah, not putting out an RV is definitely gonna look like you're playing it safe and trying not to draw attention to yourself...which conversely (and paradoxically) actually has the effect of drawing attention to you. I'd say don't RV if you don't want to, but look already at the flame you've received for it. Not wanting to RV does = scummy.

First possibly-legitimate wagon? Yup.
Out of RVS? Definitely.

Pinky FoSing Slapsticks for not considering the above facts as he continues to post what seem to be RV's.
@Slapsticks: why the vote on Navarre? Is there any reasoning behind it at all? I don't see much if there is...

VOTE: Name User

...for now to get some pressure going. Please explain why you felt the need to pretty much ask permission to do something scummy.
Also as of right now 2birds' vote is not being counted because it is not formatted correctly. Please double-check this people.

P-Edit @Navarre: Cool.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Post by Maestro »

Spoiler: Shameless self-advertising / non-game-related
Also this is probably the first game on this site where I know ABSOLUTELY NOBODY.
Please feel free to be "overly friendly" right back at me and we'll be friends.

Go to the Micro Queue to play in games I'm Modding and I'll love you even more, etc.
2birds1stone
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
2birds1stone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Post by 2birds1stone »

Heh, tags.

I'll try this again:

Vote: Name User
W/L/D = 10/10/3

I drew my avatar myself!
Slapsticks
Slapsticks
Goon
Slapsticks
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Post by Slapsticks »

In post 19, Maestro wrote:Pinky FoSing Slapsticks for not considering the above facts as he continues to post what seem to be RV's.
@Slapsticks: why the vote on Navarre? Is there any reasoning behind it at all? I don't see much if there is...

It's totally random.
gladoscc
gladoscc
Townie
gladoscc
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Post by gladoscc »

Not putting up a random vote is scummy, but would a scum not put up a random vote?
Navarre
Navarre
Townie
Navarre
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Post by Navarre »

I guess his inexperience with forum based mafia might be why he hasn't vote.

@name user: Can you explain your no vote?

but besides from this question, i say

LET THE SCUMHUNT BEGIN!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”