In/Dependant Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

In/Dependant Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:48 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

I ran a game a couple years ago that had a basic set up but an interesting style of choices. Here is a link to the game and here's the rules:

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 58&start=0
For some of the roles that I have made in this game there are corresponding townie roles that "make their choices." For example: if person A is a cop, their power is to investigate. However, during the night, they do not make a choice for themselves. Let’s say person B is a townie. All townie roles are chosen to correspond with a person with an actual role. This is done randomly and no one except the mod knows who corresponds with whom. If person B (townie) is the corresponding role for person A, then he will make a choice for person A each night. Meanwhile Person A chooses a player that they think might have control of their role. If person A chooses correctly, he/she will obtain control of their role for the rest of the game, while person B becomes a normal townie. No townies have knowledge of which they correspond to, not even what role it is they are choosing for. They do not receive any possible results for that role either. For example, if a townie is choosing for a cop, the result of the investigation goes to the cop only.

If person B were to die, person A would still have to figure out who had their role. They will not automatically get their role. If person A dies, person B will automatically take over their role. HOWEVER: Once person A gains control of their role, if they die their role does not go to person B.

If a player chooses to not use their ability on a certain night (this choice is only available to non-townies) then they may not make a guess as to the townie with their role. HOWEVER: if your role has a limited number of uses or if it is not usable on every night, then you may still make a guess.

Townies must send in choices- period.

Note: If you have a role and are supposed to send in a choice of who you think has your role and you guess wrong, I will not send a reply. If you guess correctly, I will let you know that you have gained control of your ability.
Questions welcome.
If people are interested I plan on revamping the rules/game a little as well as creating newer more interesting roles and less people (probably 20). Let me know what big changes you think should be made, or more importantly if you'd play something like this. It previously took place in New York but I'm not sure if it would be better placed under theme.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Scalebane
Scalebane
Goon
Scalebane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:29 pm

Post by Scalebane »

I'd certainly be in
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

And townies choose for mafia too, or is this just the pro-town side of things? Only other question is why disallow power roles from guessing their keeper on nights they don't act. What if a roleblocker (arguably a power you don't want to use every night) was looking for their partner? And do townies know when they are no longer controllers? That could lead to some interesting metagaming, but feel free NOT to answer any of these out loud if you like. :P

I like the idea in theory, but it's definitely a Theme Park game these days...
Retired as of October 2014.
ibaesha
ibaesha
Too Townie
ibaesha
Too Townie
Too Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:24 am

Post by ibaesha »

I like it.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:54 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

Looks interesting. I'd be in.
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:23 am

Post by Glork »

I'd totally be /in for that. :)
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
Dragon Slayer
It was THIS big!
It was THIS big!

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 am

Post by Dragon Slayer »

And townies choose for mafia too, or is this just the pro-town side of things?
I have the spreadsheet on my laptop, I'll have to transfer it and check, because I don't remember. I may let them choose on their own since they seemed to lose badly last round.
Only other question is why disallow power roles from guessing their keeper on nights they don't act. What if a roleblocker (arguably a power you don't want to use every night) was looking for their partner? And do townies know when they are no longer controllers? That could lead to some interesting metagaming, but feel free NOT to answer any of these out loud if you like.
I don't think I followed through on this for roles like the vigilante. However, if person A is a cop and they decide not to investigate that night then whatever person B (townie corresponding to them) chooses means nothing. Person A, by not using their ability, cannot guess a townie that night. I think the reason I made the rule was so that some player A wouldn't choose to refrain from using their role until they gain the power to chooose themself. This might be something I'd change.
Ever wonder why that edit button is obnoxiously placed in the center like that? Yeah, that's cause of me.. and trust me, it's better off there.
Fletcher
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Eligible for a Title

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 am

Post by Fletcher »

I don't feel like reading all of your explanations right now, but all I remember is that it was really fun. In!
[size=75]"But you know what they say. 'Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is... umm... really, really dumb and bad.'"- Strong Bad[/size]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”