Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Newbie 1498 Scum PT

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

Welcome Mafia! Your team is Knittingfrenzy18, Mafia Goon, and Jingle, Mafia Roleblocker. Feel free to discuss tactics in here until the game starts. During the night, you may submit your actions here if you like. They must be in bold to count. When I close the thread for the day, the most recent actions will be the ones to be counted.

Also, I may be testing things in here style-wise for future PTs, so please be sure to give me your feedback.
Last edited by Bulbazak on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Post by Jingle »

Not again. Someday I'm going to get a town role in a newbie.

Red, you did pretty well last game, so I expect good things. Not too familiar with any of the player list, so we're flying blind. The advice I always post in the scum QT is:

This was the advice given to me in my first game (I was a mafia goon and I was paired up with the IC). It is still relevant so I'll just c/p it. Credit to UberNinja.

First, don't post just to break the silence, either at the beginning of the game, or after a night is over. Wait for others to do that first. The first few posts after a night is over are the most heavily scrutinized. I caught one of the scum in my last game on his first post, because of an errant comment he said. When in doubt, just wait until somebody else posts, and analyze what they said. Basically, try as hard as you can *not* to be the one sticking out of the crowd, especially *right* when people are looking for someone to scumhunt for.

Second, treat me as you would treat any other player. Don't avoid voting for me, don't avoid accusing me of something you think is scummy. This will be trickier than it sounds, especially because I'm a rather aggressive player. Similarly, don't get flustered if I start attacking you; treat it as if anyone else was attacking you and defend your honor.

Third, if someone (me or otherwise) attacks you for something, don't waste your time being defensive. Just politely explain why they're wrong (once, and *clearly*), and move on to what's important: looking for *actual* scum. The reason for this is simple: Scum subconsciously focus on their own guilt, and feel they have to defend themselves; town know they are innocent and don't put much stock in others accusations. This is why overdefensiveness is a pretty reliable scum tell in newbie games.

Fourth: This is a tricky one, and you'll have to feel it for yourself the balance for how closely you want to follow it: Follow other players' leads (including mine), but don't make it obvious that that's what you're doing. Try not to vote for the same person as someone else *because of the same reasons*; find your own reasons if you can. There are exceptions to this rule, such as when there's not much else to nitpick about them, or when the reason is so amazingly bad that you can't *not* vote them for it. For instance, last game I won as scum, there was a guy who quick-hammered *two* townies before they could claim. It was a no-brainer to vote him. And *not* voting for somebody that scummy is also bad. So like I said, you'll have to feel this one out for yourself.

Fifth: Survive until Night 1, and we can have a nice chat about everything that's transpired so far.

Good luck!

Basically, act like a townie. When it's daytime forget that I'm your scumbuddy, forget that you know more about the game's layout than everybody else, stay under the radar but not too much so that it seems like you're lurking. I may attack you, you may attack me. If something goes awfully wrong and one of us is outed (for example if I'm inspected and I turn up scum) then don't be afraid to lynch me. Oh, ignore that bit about aggressive play, I'm much more tame than the guy who wrote that. Don't be too defensive, make sure you look like you're continually trying to find scum. If someone attacks you, don't get too defensive. Any more tips that are non-scum specific will be made tomorrow during the day.

During night-time we can talk on this QT. This is where we'll discuss who to kill and why, and how we should play the following day.

All credit to Frog.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Post by Jingle »

A bit of setup spec, BP is the best claim if you know for sure there is no way you can survive, but there is definitely a counterclaim. I would suggest going with doc, because the BP counterclaim is less likely to be believed and outing a JK is pretty good. Outing a Doc, also good. Town either has a cop and a doc or a JK and a BP. Do not think about that until D1 is over, we can discuss night actions at length when we both survive.

If you have any pregame questions, ask now. Otherwise, I'll see you when the killing begins.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri May 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

Night 1 Countdown: (expired on 2014-05-06 01:30:00)

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri May 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Post by Jingle »

Well, this is interesting. I'm busy this weekend so I'm not going to be around as much as I could. You're going to be under a lot of suspicion tomorrow, so be prepared. There is a large possibility that you get jailkept tonight. I have some thoughts of my own, but if you've got any thoughts about the kill, let's hear them.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat May 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Post by Jingle »

Red, you in there? I'm leaning towards roleblocking Yellow and killing Thesp. Thoughts?
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun May 04, 2014 8:15 am

Post by Jingle »

kill thesp
Role block yell0w

I'll keep checking back until night is over
knittingfrenzy18
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun May 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

I'm sorry I'm back

Darn I wanted to talk some, but ok; we've got the setup, the last is a JK, not that it matters.

if you want, here's one of the other two games I've played as scum; I won this one, and I actually got pretty intense at the end; I really don't know what for. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Foru ... 4&t=535511 The other one was my first game, and I got nuked by the cop due to too much WIFOM.

meta aside, I'd appreciate feedback. I swear, when I'm scum, my entire strategy is to play town so much; even though scum's job is to kill off everybody, I feel like going as town and playing scum survival is my tactic. Sometimes I forget I'm even scum since I play town so hard, however, when I'm town, i can't play town that hard. :/ so when I'm scum, I have to play town, and when I'm town, i have to play scum playing town to get a good play. Makes no sense. I'll stop.

Yeah, I've got no input on the kill, I'm honestly not very strategic with that.

I'd appreciate tips going forward and where I should move. I plan to attack Yell0w tomorrow, and if you have any tips with dealing with the hypothetical repercussions of the hammer, I'd take it.

Anyways, right now I think they're suspecting eachother.

Town by day, scum by night.
-Red (Call me Red.)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun May 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Post by Jingle »

Push Incess for not announcing L-1 as much as you can without being hypocritical, and stick with your story about not knowing you were the hammer. Hopefully me and Hop will be able to make a lot of noise and distract from you, as I plan to antagonize him. Remember, there's nothing immediately incriminating against you, and there's no reason that anyone should immediately scumread you. Explain yourself once as clearly as you can, then proceed to scumhunt. Thesp is scary good, and I can't leave him alive as he's already got a little bit of a bead on me. The newbies are disorganized enough that we should be able to pull another mislynch off. I'll hit up that meta of yours and see if I can get you specific advise before we're done with the night, but I make no promises. I'm a bit busy tonight and tomorrow.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun May 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Post by Jingle »

From a quick skim, I just want to point out that in MS site meta, PR spec is notoriously scummy. You probably don't want to do much if any of that here, as seen in our last game. After massclaim, sure. But prior? That's nuts. On that note, if you have to claim tomorrow, VT is probably the safest way to go. If there is no possible way you can weasel out of your lynch, claim tracker with a soft inno (did not visit anyone) on someone who is pushing you. They are more likely to believe you and unvote you if you claim an inno. This also has the benefit of possibly outing a town PR, but you will not survive LYLO.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue May 06, 2014 3:34 am

Post by Bulbazak »

Day 2 begins.

Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 4:58 am

Post by Bulbazak »

Night 2 Countdown: (expired on 2014-05-12 12:00:00).

Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 7:35 am

Post by Jingle »

Hmm. Options for NK are as follows:

Hopkirk- Not easily lead, probably reevaluating overnight.
Jon- Very scummy.
Yell0w- Vaguely scummy.
Fiesta- Was universal townread, might not be in light of hammer.

I'm leaning towards Hop. It also helps the narrative that scum is newbies killing based on experience. The nightkill should by all rights be me if I was town, because I've been the most active voice, but I left enough of a thought that I was sheeping Hop that that makes sense.

I'm thinking we kill Hop. Tomorrow we lurk through the beginning of the day. If anyone votes, try to find a legitimate reason to vote with them. Ideally they don't realize it's LYLO, but if you enter the thread make sure to point that out. Also, don't try for a quicklynch if someone gets one vote. Only vote if you can justify yourself. I'm not on often enough to guarantee the hammer.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 7:35 am

Post by Jingle »

Any thoughts?
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 am

Post by Jingle »

If somehow I die in the 5p LYLO, kill sheep and go for a 3p with good suspects, unless sheep looks terrible today or looks convinced on someone.
knittingfrenzy18
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
knittingfrenzy18
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 11:14 am

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

sounds good. I feel like I'm being too quiet--I can't go too much against the grain, and not too much with it either, so to hammer again wasn't an option, and to start suggesting someone else also wasn't an option, since I actually agreed. Any thoughts as to what I can do?
-Red (Call me Red.)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 11:46 am

Post by Jingle »

Your ISO implies a scumread on Yell0w. Roll with that. Play a reactive game, and let the newbies go first. If all else fails, be honest and say you need to reread the thread in order to buy time. Just be able to justify your logic.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2014 11:47 am

Post by Jingle »

Also,

Kill: Hopkirk
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue May 13, 2014 5:21 am

Post by Bulbazak »

Day 3 begins.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”