Role Ideas

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
gameshark1313
gameshark1313
Townie
gameshark1313
Townie
Townie

Role Ideas

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:45 am

Post by gameshark1313 »

I had some ideas for a few roles. Would they work?
Name: Flipper

Allegiance: Pro-Mafia/Pro-Town

A flipper is just what its name means. He/She flips sides. In the beginning of the game the flipper will either be given the alleigance of pro-town or pro-mafia. Every day his/her role will flip (i.e. Day 1- Mafia Day 2- Town, Day 3- Mafia, ect.) When killed, the town will be informed that the flipper was killed and that the flipper's alliegance is now permanentaly what it was when killed. If Mafia when killed the player will be informed of all the Mafia, but the mafia won't know them.
name: Cole/Psychic

Allegiance: Pro-town

Named after the kid from the Sixth Sense :P . This player gets to ask ONE question to each dead player if he/she chooses. Communicating with a Citizen, has is 0% chance of death. If Cole is tries to communicate with is a Mafia member than there is a 50% chance of death. If the dead person is any other special player (Cop/Docter/Serial Killer/ect.) there is a 33% chance of death. Other restrictions could be put on this player.

Name: Mimic/Copycat

Allegiance: None until ability is used

The mimic targets one person once to mimic any time in the game. Once the player has targeted the player the mimic duplicates the other players role. This could result in two vigilantes, two doctors, an exta mafia memebr or just another normal citizen. As soon as the ability has been used the player is no longer a mimic and loses the ability to mimic anyone else.

EDIT: yes I know the pictures are horrible
Last edited by gameshark1313 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:57 am

Post by Coron »

Mimic is an awefully swingy role, very good for town if he coppies the cop very bad if he's mafia. Not really a great idea in my opinion, too unbalancing.

The flipper isn't really a good role either imho, basically if I was flipper I'd try to get lynched a day I was aligned with mafia, because with the mislynch it would put mafia ahead anyway.

Honestly I do not know whay exactly you are taking about with the Cole role.
gameshark1313
gameshark1313
Townie
gameshark1313
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:58 am

Post by gameshark1313 »

He just talks to dead people

Now that you say it though, I had some pretty bad ideas
2/2 Pro-Mafia
1/2 Pro-Town

Apologizeing beforehand for any games I may/will be inactive in because of Real Life
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:21 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

*laugh* Is that a caul on the psychic's head? That's pretty obscure/awesome, if so.
Retired as of October 2014.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:55 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Yay pictures.
gameshark1313 wrote:I had some ideas for a few roles. Would they work?

A flipper is just what its name means. He/She flips sides. In the beginning of the game the flipper will either be given the alleigance of pro-town or pro-mafia. Every day his/her role will flip (i.e. Day 1- Mafia Day 2- Town, Day 3- Mafia, ect.) When killed, the town will be informed that the flipper was killed and that the flipper's alliegance is now permanentaly what it was when killed. If Mafia when killed the player will be informed of all the Mafia, but the mafia won't know them.
Main reason I think this is bad is that you couldn't really let this guy know who his mafia partners were. Otherwise as soon as he's town he could break it open, hopefully in exchange for being lynched as town.

Named after the kid from the Sixth Sense :P . This player gets to ask ONE question to each dead player if he/she chooses. Communicating with a Citizen, has is 0% chance of death. If Cole is tries to communicate with is a Mafia member than there is a 50% chance of death. If the dead person is any other special player (Cop/Docter/Serial Killer/ect.) there is a 33% chance of death. Other restrictions could be put on this player.
Difficulty here is that this seems to require no role reveal on death. Which seems to make games frustrating.

The mimic targets one person once to mimic any time in the game. Once the player has targeted the player the mimic duplicates the other players role. This could result in two vigilantes, two doctors, an exta mafia memebr or just another normal citizen. As soon as the ability has been used the player is no longer a mimic and loses the ability to mimic anyone else.
I see potential here if he just copies alignment but not role. And has to make a decision fairly early.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:08 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

The Face Dancers in DP's Dune mafia, I hear, were mimics of a type...but they might have had to kill to get the role.
Retired as of October 2014.
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:39 am

Post by Narninian »

I like the talks to dead people role, or even a 'ghost' role that can talk to living people after they arre dead
The extra in is for /in
gameshark1313
gameshark1313
Townie
gameshark1313
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:03 am

Post by gameshark1313 »

Kelly Chen wrote:Yay pictures.
gameshark1313 wrote:I had some ideas for a few roles. Would they work?

Main reason I think this is bad is that you couldn't really let this guy know who his mafia partners were. Otherwise as soon as he's town he could break it open, hopefully in exchange for being lynched as town.
He/she would only know who the mafia are AFTER he/she is lynched as Mafia. So the person would kind of be like a traitor after he/she is killed

Difficulty here is that this seems to require no role reveal on death. Which seems to make games frustrating.
yes, my original idea for this was for no reveal games, but it would be useful if the player tries to communicate with the Cop or a Mafia member. Obviously the player would not be allowed to ask "Who are the surviving mafia members?" It could add strategy to the game.

I see potential here if he just copies alignment but not role. And has to make a decision fairly early.
That would be good too
See red
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:20 am

Post by Battle Mage »

so the Flipper is Pro-town on 1 day, and then an SK on the next day?
thats slightly different to Mafia, as the Flipper would have to know who the Mafia are in order to be one.
As a Solo-Killer, it means that he wont have any detailed info, but every other night he will have an opportunity to kill (presumably someone who he thinks is scum, in order to win the next day as protown)
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:27 am

Post by Coron »

You don't have to know who the mafia are to be pro-mafia.
gameshark1313
gameshark1313
Townie
gameshark1313
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:30 am

Post by gameshark1313 »

Mimic picture
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:02 am

Post by Battle Mage »

yes, but to be a member of the MAFIA, you have to be able to help your buddies, by participating in discussions etc.
If you dont know who they are, you cannot really help them.
Making you an SK. :wink:

Coron wrote:You don't have to know who the mafia are to be pro-mafia.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:11 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Big difference is that an SK knows what he's supposed to do to win.
Coron
Coron
Shameless Plug
Coron
Shameless Plug
Shameless Plug

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:53 am

Post by Coron »

No, an SK is anti-mafia and anti-town, Battle Mage, making him definately NOT a SK. Also, saying that is like saying a town player can't help the town unless he is a mason. Kinda foolish.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:37 am

Post by Battle Mage »

thats a false analogy.
By being scum-affiliated, but not knowing who is buddies are, the only thing he can do is use his own judgement to lynch town. This however is unreliable, and wont really work on its own.

Coron wrote:No, an SK is anti-mafia and anti-town, Battle Mage, making him definately NOT a SK. Also, saying that is like saying a town player can't help the town unless he is a mason. Kinda foolish.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Post by Primate »

That's like saying that Town lynching scum is unreliable and won't really work on it's own.

Not to mention the fact that simply having another person who's mafia aligned puts the town one day closer to lylo, even if the scum don't know it until they actually get there. An SK wouldn't do that.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Post by Fircoal »

Role 1: I think it's ok, but probably not usable.

Role 2: I like this one, I can see potenial i using it.

Role 3: I like it, but I probably would'nt use it.
Fircoal strikes me more like an awful fake claim that gets you lynched in under 25 posts. - Kelly Chen
gameshark1313
gameshark1313
Townie
gameshark1313
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Post by gameshark1313 »

I am very happy at the (generally) positive feedback on some of the roles
2/2 Pro-Mafia
1/2 Pro-Town

Apologizeing beforehand for any games I may/will be inactive in because of Real Life
Eteocles
Eteocles
Goon
Eteocles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:13 pm

Post by Eteocles »

I like the mimic... *hearts* the costume and disguise kit.
AddyMuyo: lesbians love their dogs
lordgurgi: I'm more of a cat guy.
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 am

Post by Cavane »

You give percentages for Role 2 as a 'chance of dying' while communing with the dead. Can I assume the mod is responsible for flipping the coin/rolling the d3? I also don't think it's only usuable in no-reveal. The player just has to evaluate his chances before asking a power role. And are Mafia required to tell the truth after death? Because otherwise I don't see how asking them anything would be helpful.
gameshark1313
gameshark1313
Townie
gameshark1313
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:14 am

Post by gameshark1313 »

They tell the truth after deatb
2/2 Pro-Mafia
1/2 Pro-Town

IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Post by IH »

What kind of question would the seer ask?

Also there is a mimic/copycat role in IRC.
Xylbot wrote:-Xylbot-Copycat (town, sk; very common): You can copy a player's action at night ("copy [player] [newtarget]"). Actions: copy
This one is better and more balanced I believe = )
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Cavane
Cavane
Goon
Cavane
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Post by Cavane »

In some variants, I believe, Thief takes on the role of the first person he steals from.
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Post by Zindaras »

I've seen variations on all of those roles. I've seen a doc/sk flipper. That didn't really have a huge impact. He will essentially always play as SK. Sure, you can time your death to make you a specific alignment, but it doesn't really help.

The bad part about the role is that, as PJ would say, your win condition changes. Not just once, but every day. All in all, there is no good strategy for you to play.

The Psychic...I've seen a pure Psychic, who was able to freely communicate with any dead guy. It was a really useful tool for the town, especially when the Cop died.

I've seen the Mimic only as having a specific alignment, not being able to simply choose his own. I had a Sycophant in one game, which would take over the role of the first scum to die (there were only SKs and Cult Leaders in that game, though). I think I've also seen a town variation of the role.

The Mimic is more balanced when he has a specific alignment. It may also be a good idea to not give him a choice about whom to mimic.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:43 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

gameshark1313 wrote:They tell the truth after deatb
Oh. Well, that's kind of broken then, as the seer could just ask 'who are all your scum partners' and have a 50/50 chance of winning on the spot
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “Mafia Discussion”