Newbie 1591 (Day 3)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1591 (Day 3)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:50 am

Post by serrapaladin »

Newbie 1591: Serra's Training Ground, part 3

Welcome to Newbie 1591! The evil Mafia has infiltrated this Town and has to be eliminated. Some games have a theme or tell a story (known as flavour); this one doesn't.

Player List

1. Coldwine
2. pablito
HighSpace

3. heyboxgaminig
4. Anarchist7
5. saad
6. America Homes
bewilderbeast

7. Lia
Jake from State Farm
(SE)
8. Sky_Paladin (SE)
9. House
Seraphim
(IC)

SE's are semi-experienced players with 3 completed games. The IC (Inexperience Challenged) is here to help you learn the game. Their play is governed by this article. Note that all roles are distributed randomly.

Bold means confirmed. * indicates a prod.

Spoiler: Alive (5/9)
2. pablito
4. Anarchist7
7. Lia
8. Sky_Paladin
9. House

Spoiler: Dead (4/9)
5. saad,
Vanile Townie
, lynched Day 1
1. Coldwine,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 1
3. heyboxgaminig,
Vanile Townie
, lynched Day 2
6. America Homes,
Town Doctor
, killed Night 2

Rules

If this is your first game of Mafia on this site, please read these in full.

Spoiler: Rules
(References: Equinox, Hoopla, Tierce, Vel-Rahn Koon, zoraster)

General

1. Be familiar with the site-wide rules and guidelines (see here and here).
  2. Please keep the game civil and avoid personal attacks. Use of homophobic, racist, sexist, or any other derogatory slurs will not be tolerated.
  3. While this game is running, you may not discuss this game anywhere outside of the game thread unless you have been explicitly allowed to do so.
  4. Do not quote any private communication, including game-related PMs, instant messages, and Private Topics. Quoting time stamps from any private communication is also forbidden. Paraphrasing is allowed.
  5. If it is not visible to the naked eye, do not post it. This includes but is not limited to: invisible text, tiny text and encrypted text. 'Spoiler=' tags are fine. For cases (like "breadcrumbing") where you aren't sure, please PM me beforehand.
  6. Do not edit or delete your posts.
  7. Do not use the colour
    #8040FF
    . All other formatting is fair game.
  8. For vote count errors or other minor questions, please bold your concern in the thread. For all other issues, PM me.
  9. Pretending to break the rules or exploiting loopholes in the rules will be considered breaking the rules.

Activity

1. Prods will be issued to players if they have not posted within a 48-hour period. Players who have been prodded have 24 hours to respond in the game thread before a replacement is sought.
  2. A post with the sole purpose of avoiding a prod (a 'prod dodge') will grant players a further 24 hours to post something game-related.
  3. For purposes of activity, Saturday and Sunday will be considered a 24-hour period.
  4. Players who have been prodded 3 times may be replaced without further notice.
  5. Players may request that a reminder be sent to a player who has not posted within 36 hours.
  6. If you anticipate being away for at least 48 hours, please PM me or post a V/LA notice in the thread with the expected date of your return.

Days and Nights

1. Days will have a deadline of two weeks, and Nights will last 72 hours. Deadline extensions will be granted only in extreme circumstances.
  2. Lynches occur through simple majority (50% of living players + 1, rounded down). If no majority is reached at deadline or there is a majority of votes for No Lynch, Day will end without a lynch. Once majority is reached, no further votes or unvotes will count.
  3. Votes and vote revocations must be bolded (e.g.,
    Vote: serrapaladin
    and
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are preferred but not necessary when switching votes (e.g.,
    Unvote, Vote: No Lynch
    ). Use of the vote tags (e.g., VOTE: serrapaladin) is optional.
  4. All players, including the lynched player, are allowed to talk in twilight phase until the thread is locked, at which point Day ends. Dead players may not post until the game has been officially declared over.
  5. The lynched player's alignment and role will be revealed once a majority has been achieved. The alignment and role of any players killed during the night are revealed the following morning.
  6. Actions not received by deadline will be considered forfeit. Actions may be submitted ahead of time and can be changed as many times as desired; at deadline, the last valid action that was submitted will be used. Actions may be submitted via PM or in the Private Topic.
  7. Any situation not covered above will be handled on a case-by-case basis. I reserve the right to add, modify, or remove rules as necessary. I will notify you of any changes in the thread.

tl;dr Rules

1. Lynches are by majority.
  2. Days are two weeks and Nights are 72 hours.
  3. This (#8040FF)
    is my color.
  4. 48 hours inactivity gets you a prod. Three prods are a replace. A prod dodge buys you 24 hours.
  5. PM me or post in
    bold
    for clarification.
  6. Have fun, be civil, and play to win!

Current Vote Count

OFFICIAL VOTE COUNT 1.09
saad (L-2) - heyboxgaminig, Seraphim, Anarchist7

Jake from State Farm (1) - saad
Seraphim (2) - Sky_Paladin, Jake from State Farm
pablito (1) - Coldwine
heyboxgaminig (1) - pablito

Not Voting (1) - bewilderbeast

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2015-04-13 00:00:59).[/area]

Setup

This is a Newbie game and uses the standard Matrix6 setup. One row or one column has been chosen from the table below and the remaining six players are filled with Mafia Goons and Vanilla Townies to create a game of
7 Town-aligned players
against
2 Mafia-aligned players
. You will not be told which setup has been chosen for the current game.

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town 1-Shot Bulletproof
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

The Roleblocker's action resolves before the Jailkeeper's action.

The Mafia must specify who executes their night kill and the Mafia Roleblocker may both submit the kill and use his Roleblock.

If you have any questions about the setup, feel free to ask!

Spoiler: List of Role PM's
Welcome to Newbie 1591, serrapaladin!

You are a
Vanille Townie

You have no special abilities besides your voice and the right to vote.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread can be found here. Please confirm by replying to this PM with your role and alignment.

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may select one player to target per night, protecting them from kills and preventing them from using night actions during that night. You cannot self-target.

The game thread can be found here. Please confirm by replying to this PM with your role and alignment.

You are a
Town Cop

You may select one player to target per night, learning the alignment of that player. If you are prevented from using your night action, you will receive no result.

You are a
Town Doctor

You may select one player to target per night, protecting them from kills during that night. You cannot self-target.

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie

You will survive 1 night-kill attempt during this game.

You are a
Town Tracker

You may select one player to target per night, learning who that player targeted with their own action(s), if any.

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is _____, who is a Mafia Goon/Roleblocker.

At night (and during pregame) you may communicate with your partner in your Private Topic. Each night, you may choose one target player to kill. You must decide who commits the kill.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is _______, who is a Mafia Goon.

You may select one player to target per night, or posted in your Private Topic), preventing them from performing any action that night.

At night (and during pregame) you may communicate with your partner in your Private Topic. Each night, you may choose one target player to kill. You must decide who commits the kill.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by serrapaladin on Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 am, edited 12 times in total.
Wandering but not lost
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:13 am

Post by serrapaladin »

Role PMs are out. Please confirm by PM. The game will start with 7/9 confirmed.
Currently: 8/9 confirmed
Last edited by serrapaladin on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering but not lost
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:43 am

Post by serrapaladin »

You guys can start posting if you want. I'll set a deadline and see if I need to find any replacements later. Good luck!
Wandering but not lost
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 am

Post by Jake from State Farm »

Sup
Show
Things I've learned.
1. It's just a game, have fun.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
3. Don't take everything so personal.
4. Tunneling sucks (unfortunately I can't seem to stop)
Anarchist7
Anarchist7
Townie
Anarchist7
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:24 am

Post by Anarchist7 »

Howdy
HighSpace
HighSpace
Townie
HighSpace
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:26 am

Post by HighSpace »

Who's ready for a fun game of mafia
What's your vision?
bewilderbeast
bewilderbeast
Townie
bewilderbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 am

Post by bewilderbeast »

Me me me. Just asking, if someone asks a question (not: r u mafia?), do u have to answer truthfully.
bewilderbeast
bewilderbeast
Townie
bewilderbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:57 am

Post by bewilderbeast »

And by the way: "turtles are trustworthy, parking lots are not" is a very important proverb.
Also
Vote: Anarchist 7

fixed vote tags
Last edited by serrapaladin on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
bewilderbeast
bewilderbeast
Townie
bewilderbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 am

Post by bewilderbeast »

I don't trust Anarchists or people who say howdy.
bewilderbeast
bewilderbeast
Townie
bewilderbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:02 am

Post by bewilderbeast »

Thanks mod! (serrapaladin)
saad
saad
Goon
saad
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:19 am

Post by saad »

let's find them mafias guys!
HighSpace
HighSpace
Townie
HighSpace
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:31 am

Post by HighSpace »

Also, does a day usually last 2 weeks? I'm really intrigued by the fact that it takes 2 weeks of discussion to decide on a lynch.
What's your vision?
bewilderbeast
bewilderbeast
Townie
bewilderbeast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Post by bewilderbeast »

It's because people are in different timezones and have school and other stuff.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Its because people are too indecisive and afraid to be wrong
Show
Things I've learned.
2. Don't waste time on people who think you are scum. Ignore them and keep scum hunting.
Coldwine
Coldwine
Townie
Coldwine
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Post by Coldwine »

Good evening everybody.
Sky_Paladin
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Post by Sky_Paladin »

Hi folks. Welcome to the game. I'm one of your two SE's, and I presume Seraphim is our IC. Thanks to Serrapaladin for hosting o/

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend reading the Forum Rules and Guidelines and Commonly Asked Questions about Mafia Theory.

These are just my opinions and I expect our IC to provide their own.

Some general advice:

At the start of the game,
there is what is commonly known as the random vote phase (or RVS)
, also known as 'low information voting stage'. Players can and should vote randomly mainly to see what the reaction of the opponent will be.

Be careful about voting somebody who is accusing or voting you
. It's natural to feel some kind of frustration when somebody is incorrectly accusing you of something, but if this is the basis of your counter vote against them, then it is not actually motivated by scum hunting. Players can pick up on this and identify that you're mainly interested in self defense and attribute this to a scum motivation. This is commonly known as 'OMGUS' - Oh My God You Suck. That said, it's perfectly fine to counter-vote somebody if you can state a good reason for it!

Discussion is the best way for us to identify scum.
Look for players who seem to be lurking, or are reactive instead of active, or aren't offering clear opinions about anything.

Conversely,
you should be active and give clear opinions
. Ultimately scum will have to lie about the reasons for their vote, so the less room you can give them to get out of their lies, the easier it will be to catch them.

Don't immediately hammer a player who is at L-1
, even if you think they're scum - state 'intent to hammer' to give the player a chance to claim and share any information they might have. If the phase is run down and there's no time left, do it anyway.

Once conversation starts to die off, it's worth finishing the phase.
The longer the phase goes on the more likely we will get a better ID on who the scum are, but if the phase drags out too long unnecessarily, players tend to get demotivated and it hurts the game state overall. As long as there's conversation going on, it's worth drawing the phase out.

Make sure to have fun.
It's very easy to take mafia too seriously - I do it all the time. Remember that everybody here is a person, just like you, and every one of them have feelings and reasons for doing the things that they do. It's a game, so take it easy. This is a newbie game, so players are going to make mistakes and say/do strange things. Some players crack under the strain, and others aren't suited for the kind of pressure this game can cause. We don't want players to crash and burn, so please try to keep it civil.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask in this thread.

Good luck and good hunting!
Sky_Paladin
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Post by Sky_Paladin »

@Bewilderbeast

Me me me. Just asking, if someone asks a question (not: r u mafia?), do u have to answer truthfully.

You don't have to answer truthfully, although players often take a poor view of others who are caught lying.

As town, there is
rarely
a good, valid reason to lie day 1 in a newbie game. Scum may want to lie about the motivation for their vote, for example, whereas town might lie about their role to draw/avoid attention for whatever reason.

If you are inexperienced at mafia, I'd avoid lying. If you've played dozens of games elsewhere and you know what you are doing, I'd still avoid lying. This is a newbie game and your fellow players may not be as understanding as your more experienced players elsewhere. In my own second newbie game, I fake-claimed doc and was able to identify the two scum in the fallout. However, I was still lynched before the second scum because that player was able to successfully persuade town to 'lynch all liars'.

There is another kind of lie called a gambit, wherein you fake a town result to try to get reactions out of other players. It's not appropriate on day 1, however, since there's been no actions played yet.
Sky_Paladin
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Sky_Paladin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Post by Sky_Paladin »

Since we can vote, here is my RVS vote:

VOTE: Saad
Asking us to find mafia 'guys' ignores that some players may be female, implies he is from a male/male group, must therefore be scum.
heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Post by heyboxgaminig »

Hi guys!

This is my second game of mafia and I had plenty of fun with my first =) I would love to know how much experience everybody has had with there games of Mafia? Whether it be on another site or this one.

also
@bewilderbeast You do not have to answer truthfully, otherwise games would end rather quickly.....

Here is my RVS (Random Voting Stage)

VOTE: bewilderbeast

Because asking silly questions is silly =)

Lets all have a fun game guys!
HighSpace
HighSpace
Townie
HighSpace
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Post by HighSpace »

Hi, I'm HighSpace, I have played mafia before, on epicmafia.com - The games there are a lot more fast paced. Its a chat game and we have around 10 minutes to decide on a lynch, so the game is a lot more reflexive and reaction based, where we don't have time to think about what we are doing or analyze anything.

I don't really understand RVS, since everyone knows that the reasoning for the vote (do we use 'fos' here?) isn't real. So I don't see how you could get a read out of it. But I get the feeling that its accepted meta here, so I'll follow suit: (Help, how do I do the vote tag?) I vote Sky Paladin.
What's your vision?
Coldwine
Coldwine
Townie
Coldwine
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:37 pm

Post by Coldwine »

Hello, I'm Coldwine. I've played mafia before on DDO, which I've gathered is quite different from here as far as site meta goes.

Might as well build some pressure.

saad
saad
Goon
saad
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:43 am

Post by saad »

In post 17, Sky_Paladin wrote:Since we can vote, here is my RVS vote:

Asking us to find mafia 'guys' ignores that some players may be female, implies he is from a male/male group, must therefore be scum.

guys is generic term these days.
heyboxgaminig
heyboxgaminig
Goon
heyboxgaminig
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 am

Post by heyboxgaminig »

@highspace

You can vote by,VOTE: insert name here VOTE: with a backslash before the second vote (in the bracket).

Also, RVS is great to get to know the people you are playing with, and gives you some ideas about what to ask other players and as it is mentioned above, good for adding pressure.

@All
I would also love for anybody who has any questions to ask them whenever convenient, I will do my best to answer them as quickly as possible.

To those who question RVS, what methods do you propose to get the conversation rolling??
serrapaladin
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
serrapaladin
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:55 am

Post by serrapaladin »

Welcome again to all of you!

Regarding voting, I prefer VOTE: tags used at the start of a new line, like this:

Code: Select all

[vote]serrapaladin[/vote]

but I'll count everything that's at least bolded and looks like a vote.

OFFICIAL VOTE COUNT 1.01Anarchist7 (1) - bewilderbeast
saad (2) - Sky_Paladin, Coldwine
bewilderbeast (1) - heyboxgaminig

Not Voting (6) - HighSpace, Anarchist7, saad, Jake from State Farm, Seraphim

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2015-04-12 00:00:59).[/area]
Wandering but not lost
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Jake from State Farm
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:03 am

In post 15, Sky_Paladin wrote:low information voting stage'.

Don't say I agree with this, I've seen scum get caught in rvs before.
Show
Things I've learned.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”