Hold'em Mafia?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Karo
Karo
Townie
Karo
Townie
Townie

Hold'em Mafia?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 am

Post by Karo »

I figure this posting may be pretty worthless for those of you expecting a finished concept, as I don't have one to introduce to you, but still I'd like to offer some thoughts on a certain subject.

I've been playing poker (caught by the Texas hold'em wave) lately and it occurred to me that poker and mafia both have a number of things in common (seriously!). I have tried to combine elements of both, but I have not yet found an acceptable solution.

Both games have a number of unknown variables. In both cases other players use game mechanics and psychology to determine these variables for the best possible outcome. It's rather striking if you think about it, even though game-mechanics are very different.

Risk/ Reward is an important factor in both games. Sometimes in mafia you simply go for the lynch with the lowest risk to avoid offing a power role. In poker, similarly, you can choose yourself how much you risk and how much you are willing to bet - sometimes you are awarded with a big reward, sometimes you lose a lot.

Has anyone had the same line of thought and maybe made an attempt to create a certain mafia game, that has elements of both? It might seem unlikely to seamlessly interwine both games (with the emphasis on mafia, rather than poker), but it might be worth a try.

Sorry this thread actually lacks content, still I wanted to bring up and maybe hear a good idea or two.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:15 am

Post by xyzzy »

It better feature pirates.