Justin Playfair
Goon
Justin Playfair
Goon
Goon

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Post by Justin Playfair »

First, Mookeh/RogueBen:

All right, I hate to return to this, the scene of my previous crime, but I just can’t help it. And here’s why. The “null-tell” meta post Mookeh makes about Mills isn’t the only thing Mookeh did to Mills. So is this:
Mookeh wrote:Not saying that Mills is scum because of that - like I said, it's a non-tell. I'm just getting the impression that some people might get carried away a bit and I'm emphasizing to keep your eye on everyone just now. Last time I was a Townie and we disregarded someone because he seemed so innocent, he turned out to be Scum. Open 45 if you want a bit more meta.
I’m speaking here specifically of the “seemed so innocent” bit. I got a full attack based on this from Soupfly in my one and only newbie game (Soupfly was ic). Now this is a common sense thing to say, but it was directed at Mills, who was also on the receiving end of the already discussed meta from Mookeh where he pointed out that something Mills had said was the same as something Mookeh had said in another game where he was scum. But…

In the game Mookeh cited he was going after a player (Slysly) who had his vote on someone and was unwilling to change it. In this game Mills was going after a player for a stated refusal to engage in any sort of scum hunting, who had in fact suggested that there was no content in the game to that point to even look at. That it was one cop criticizing the other makes this sort of ironic, but it still isn’t a proper fit. And in fact the player Mookeh was going after (Slysly) was even engaged in scumhunting, to the best of his abilities, and there was an element of OMGUS in Mookeh’s attack on him in that game. It was at the very best an extremely reaching comparison.

And in the same post where Mookeh makes this misleading meta statement he also includes this, also directed at Mills:
Mookeh wrote:This is the way we play it over here as well (not sure if you were referring to previous experiences on different sites). I never consider the initial baiting phase a scumtell - in fact, I consider it legitimate scumhunting and am wary of whoever criticizes it.
Once again a small thing, but it plays into a general thrust made by Mookeh on Mills for false and slippery reasons. In much the same way Mookeh’s being “wary of whoever criticizes” the “initial baiting phase” could have also applied to, say, Ythill, who hates those first random votes. But it was directed in response to Mills.

There is this, about Jennar:
Mookeh wrote:Small point on the only other player I know from a previous game: Jennar is playing exceedingly scummy here. Unfortunately, he was also playing scummily in Open 45 - and he turned out to be FBI. He was forced to claim D1 because of this. So he's a wild card. Yet there's something about him that seems off to me in this game: can't place my finger on what it is yet. Will post more on this later on.
Which serves to lightly excuse Jennar for his scummy play. And the bit of suspicion at the end only really seems to provide cover for Mookeh in the eventuality of Jennar’s lynch. Mookeh never posts more on this topic, though he did post a bit after this.

By the way, Ythill, the third example you raise about the town/town/Mookeh pattern is the most curious, because at the point it was made there was no way to fairly consider Mookeh’s content as equal to Klebian’s or Hypatia’s. There is also Jennar’s initial random vote on Mookeh to factor in, and the oddly defensive way Jennar responded to Vollkan making a seemingly harmless mistake about Jennar not unvoting Spurgistan before he voted Mookeh (in point of fact Jennar did unvote the random vote on Mookeh before voting Spurgistan). Now this is only a little odd considering the way Jennar also went after Vollkan for not completing his pbpa on everyone in one post after saying he was going to do it in parts.

RogueBen enters:

I don’t dislike his first recap post. It is only the question section where I see problems. Oddly enough it is not so much with the questions with which he directed everyone to me. In fact, I was one of pretty much everyone’s top two (at least) at the time. And the questions posed seem to be pretty consistently about which of that person’s top two suspects they suspected the most. They are curious, in retrospect, only insofar as they do not exhibit any interest in finding out anything about these three players other than who they would most like to lynch.

The questions posed to me, Hypatia and killa seven, on the other hand, seem much odder. I’d already made it pretty clear why Hypatia’s claim bothered me, the question to Hypatia does not cleanly relate to anything Rogueben posted about her in his earlier analysis, and the question to killa seven is so specific while relating in no way to anything I had seen even hinted at in anything killa seven had posted.

That last is perhaps the most interesting of the three. Because Rogueben raised the issue of buddying in his analysis of Ythill, then asked someone who has now turned out to be scum for his thoughts on the topic, though there is no evidence that this player had even considered it on his own.

This below is a curious bit, though it seems just as likely to be inaccurate as scummy:
RogueBen wrote:This relies on two assumptions, both of which Justin made in the above quote:
1. Justin is scum.
2. Hypatia's claim is true.
This was in response to this, from me:
Justin Playfair wrote:There is no logic at all in me attacking Hypatia after her claim if I’m scum. If anything she would be of more value alive.
Now since I was saying that if I was scum I would want Hypatia alive the next day, and since if I was scum I would know her claim was true (or at least that she was town, and in the normal course of events one would be willing to accept that a town Hypatia would not falsely claim gunsmith), this is not really two assumptions but one. And it was not an assumption but a hypothetical, which I later fleshed out. I mean, I wouldn’t have to assume I was scum. If I was I would know it. And since I was attacking Hypatia, I’m still not sure what the point is, but since it prompted Rogueben to ask for a claim it must have been significant to him. This is a kind of scum hunting I’ve already seen plenty though, (he said “if” he was scum so he must be scum) and as much from town as scum.

The four person scum team talk seems particularly odd to me, however, even without bringing into the mix the inaccurate claim of having been in one before. Because why on earth would Hypatia-scum have chosen to falsely clear me, of all people? It makes sense for her to pretend an investigation of me that ends with me having a gun. I would, I imagine, have been pretty easy to lynch, and then, with a four person scum team, the game would be won. She might have even pretended to investigate Klebian, because some stupid jackass said he ought to be investigated. And it still would have been pretty easy to lynch me. But clearing me left us with two folks considerably less suspicious than I would have been. Why not clear VollkanII? Why not clear Rogueben? Is it a possible scum tactic? Sure, I guess, but it seems the most complicated one possible to get to the scum-desired conclusion of winning the game.

So here are some questions:

Was there nothing in the play of VollkanII, Klebian or Ythill about which you could have asked them? Was there anything beyond the obvious (who was most likely to be lynched) that you were hoping to discover by asking them which of two players they found most suspicious?

Why did you turn specifically to killa seven for your question about Ythill and buddying?

What was so significant about the line you quoted from my day two post pointing out why as scum I wouldn’t have gone after Hypatia to make that the point at which you believed a claim was needed?

What scum purpose would be served by a scum buddy group of Hypatia and Ythill choosing me, who would have probably been the easiest to lynch person remaining in town, as not having a gun, which could not have been more easily served by saying I had a gun or simply leaving me dangling?

Thank you for your answers. Spurgistan/VollkanII will be next.

Votecount up to Post 650

Rogueben (1) - vollkan II

Not Voting (4) - Hypatia, Justin Playfair, Rogueben, Ythill

3 to lynch.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Post by vollkan »

Y wrote:
Vollkan wrote: The fact that Justin, Ben and Hypa are the three most suspect is a null-tell with respect to my own alignment. What is important is the evidence I present against each of them - and I notice that you fail to look at my post in that level of detail.

In fact, when you commented on this in thread, you actually agreed with what I had said on Justin. Moreover, the only disagreements you expressed were with me ignoring k7 and klebian's lack of interaction with Jennar and with me and my not thinking Mookeh's statement was scummy.
I did look at the evidence and still agree with it, therefore saw no reason to bring it up in the analysis. I do not find it odd that the “Best Newbie” (congrats on that BTW) would be capable of stating valid evidence whether or not his search for that evidence was honest.

Your conclusion that interactions with Jennar found these specific people scummy is as much a function of your lack of evidence on others. This aspect was one I disagreed with at the time and still stands out to me here. My assertion here is not that you created false cases but that you unrealistically supported those cases by omission in other areas.
To make sure I understand this: The evidence I had on Justin, Ben and Hypa was valid, but you allege I artificially inflated it by omitting evidence on k7, kleb and ben.

This is an unfortunate result of the fact that I read k7's, kleb's and ben's non-interaction with Jennar as being "unreadable" - an interpretation I stand by. I will always see positive behaviour that resembles distancing/scummy support as more of a scumtell than non-avoidance. As I said back then, it can be perfectly reasonable for two players not to interact - if the conversation flows that way. It doesn't work against a scum link, but it isn't evidence.

I can't defend against your interpretation of the results of my analysis. I can only say that the evidence I found lent itself to the conclusions I made.
Y wrote:
vol wrote: You weren't clearly talking about "people other than Justin". You just generally said that I am less willing to commit
I'll agree here because you inserted "clearly" but my statement was made in conjunction with my opinion of your reads on kleb, k7, and Mook and I think you're smart enough to have understood what I meant. I still think the I-am-attacking-Justin defense is inapplicable and a little opportunistic, but the rest of your defense here is sufficient.
The context was something I had missed at the time. Hence, I responded to what I thought was a general charge of being non-committal.

As for the suggestion that the I-am-attacking-Justin defence is "inapplicable and a little opportunistic", you are missing the forest for the trees again.

I thought you were making a general charge, so the Justin defence was valid. BUT, as you say, the rest of the defence is valid. Moreover, the rest of the defence is precisely the answer that I would have given had I properly understood what you had said.

The I-am-attacking-Justin defence is perfectly reasonable given my interpretation and cannot be construed as opportunistic because I addressed my global attitudes as well.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Post by Ythill »

@Justin: I'm going to let Rogueben comment before I address your analysis of him, considering the good questions you've asked.
vol wrote:I can't defend against your interpretation of the results of my analysis. I can only say that the evidence I found lent itself to the conclusions I made.
You understood me properly and I agree with your conclusion here. There's nothing scummy about conceding this argument and the point itself is not damning.
vol wrote:The context was something I had missed at the time.
As dumb as it sounds, I didn't even consider you missing the context or that your understanding then would have been any different than your understanding now. Must've been using one of my hippie brain cells. Sorry 'bout that.
vol wrote:As for the suggestion that the I-am-attacking-Justin defence is "inapplicable and a little opportunistic", you are missing the forest for the trees again.
You got somethin' against trees. Obv-scum!!! :D
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Post by vollkan »

Ben has not posted here since the 5th, and he has posted in other games as late as the 7th.
Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Post by Rogueben »

Hey guys.

I'm really sorry I haven't posted in a while. I currently only have access at uni (posting from a friends place atm) as my access has been cut off at home due to a banned IP address.

I'm talking to JEEP about fixing this, I'll try and catch up tomorrow.
Currently busy 7 days a week. Will post regularly though.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:55 am

Post by Ythill »

We've got a little time to wait for your input. I'm still wanting to hear more from my bloc-mates too but, since there's no relevant discussion ATM, I have some completely unrelated questions...

@ vollkan: What's with the avatar? I've seen a lot of peep's pics changing to include that monkey. It's Erg0's old avatar, isn't it? Is there some sort of inside joke or are profiles getting hacked?
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:02 am

Post by vollkan »

Ythill wrote: @ vollkan: What's with the avatar? I've seen a lot of peep's pics changing to include that monkey. It's Erg0's old avatar, isn't it? Is there some sort of inside joke or are profiles getting hacked?
You obviously don't use GD :D

It's Nibbler from Futurama. It's become the latest "fad" to put it into avatars. Harmless amusement.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:08 am

Post by vollkan »

EBWOP: This is where it all started Link?? Where?!?
Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Post by Rogueben »

Justin wrote:Was there nothing in the play of VollkanII, Klebian or Ythill about which you could have asked them? Was there anything beyond the obvious (who was most likely to be lynched) that you were hoping to discover by asking them which of two players they found most suspicious?
With those three players I wanted to get a commitment to a particular suspicion. Those questions were not intended to gain as much information as the other questions, they were basically just for the most obvious reason.
Justin wrote:Why did you turn specifically to killa seven for your question about Ythill and buddying?
I thought that by getting killa 7 respond to a generated case it might either provoke some scum-hunting from him, or provoke a slip. Since his suspicion list was so weak I thought that getting him to comment on a case, which I believed to be pretty weak, would be a good idea to see if he blindly followed (indicative of scum).
Justin wrote:What was so significant about the line you quoted from my day two post pointing out why as scum I wouldn’t have gone after Hypatia to make that the point at which you believed a claim was needed?
I don't understand this question. I've read it a few times and can't work out what you want to know.
Justin wrote:What scum purpose would be served by a scum buddy group of Hypatia and Ythill choosing me, who would have probably been the easiest to lynch person remaining in town, as not having a gun, which could not have been more easily served by saying I had a gun or simply leaving me dangling?
Hmm. This is a good point. If they said you had a gun, and you were lynched that would be endgame, if they said nothing then you were a good target. I can't see Ythill-scum making such a weak and convoluted gambit.
The Hypatia-Ythill theory was just that, a theory. It was put out in the open for people to poke holes at.

Can you clarify that question for me. I intend to respond to all the other points of analysis but with only access at uni I am very limited in my posting time.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Post by Ythill »

Deadline is one week from tomorrow.

Everyone please try to get your thoughts in the thread within the next couple of days so that we are not rushed in our decision. As it stands now, I still think ben is the play.
ben wrote:I thought that by getting killa 7 respond to a generated case it might either provoke some scum-hunting from him, or provoke a slip. Since his suspicion list was so weak I thought that getting him to comment on a case, which I believed to be pretty weak, would be a good idea...
Except for the few words I cut off of the end, this statement would be true from the perspective of ben as scum or town. Imagine the mindset of k7's buddy with one scum dead. Bussing seems unavoidable but do you really want to be lone scum in a game with me, Justin, and (if you're ben) vollkan alive as town?
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by Hypatia »

I agree Ben is probably the play.
Mini 779 - Killer in Smalltown Y - Mary Rose the Split Personality
Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 am

Post by Rogueben »

These are in response to Ythill's post 643 pbpa.
Y wrote:6 – retracts part of case on Justin, questions Hypa – Here ben retracts the only original point he’s made, which was the strawman accusation. He also backs away from (but doesn’t retract completely) his complaint about Justin’s treatment of Hypa.
Upon inspection I was not so sure I had understood Justin's original intent of his post. I suppose I should have pushed that further to gleam more information. I wasn't backing off about his treatment of Hypatia, I was saying that his more recent post on this had some valid points that I had to consider. There is a distinct difference between that and "backing off" as you claim I did.
Y wrote:7 – k7’s analysis is aping, defends Hypa, calls Justin out for pushing her mislynch, asks Justin to claim. – New evidence entered against k7 doesn’t seem to increase ben’s suspicions, yet ben continues the argument about Justin’s treatment of Hypa and uses it to further embroil Justin even though he partially dismissed it in his last post.
Yes I didn't update k7 on a suspicion percentage, I'm new to that system, using for the first time in this game. I forgot to update him. This doesn't mean that mentally I hadn't taken this into account. See previous point above, just because someone makes a valid point about something it does not preclude them from being scum.
Finally the bottom part of my post 7:
Rogueben wrote:
Justin wrote: There is no logic at all in me attacking Hypatia after her claim if I’m scum. If anything she would be of more value alive.
Except maybe the fact that she has committed some serious scumtells, making her a perfect, explainable mislynch.
Was in answer to a question that he asked (quoted above as well). I think that this raises a valid point, and you ignore this in your pbpa.
Y wrote:8 – accuses Yth for clearing people via assumptions, qft re: Justin’s thoughts before the hammer, offers to switch to k7 if necessary – He says I’m scummy for an assumptive attack on his PE#1, which is very odd. I can see him questioning the attack but there was no realistic way for myself and Justin to both be scum because of Hypa’s claim and investigation. His treatment of me here is more aggresive than his earlier treatment of my attacks on now-confirmed townies.
My point here was that you cleared a lot of people in a very assumptive way to add evidence to PE #1. I was not saying you were scum, and definitely not saying you were likely to be scum with Justin. My point here was that the way you added evidence based off so many assumptions could be seen as scum throwing extra onto the fire.
Y wrote:Hypatia – Finds her scummy, agrees with the most obvious evidence, adds no new evidence, rates her @ 60% but believes her claim. (Asks: are hypotheticals good?) PE#2. – This post sits ben on the fence. All he has to do is “change his mind” about her claim and he can justify a vote on her if that’s the way things are going. The question here is a loaded one.
Just a second here. Most people were in the same position here, thinking Hyp was quite possible scum but not willing to lynch yet. The question was intended to get her to think about her playstyle. I found a lot of her hypothetical arguments frustrating. It was my hope that by thinking about the question she would stop the IF X is scum arguments.
Y wrote:Justin – calls his play vs. vol-I+Yth assumptive and accuses him of strawmanning, doesn’t like his accusation of Hypatia, rates him at 60% but says Justin wouldn’t have likely killed vol-I. (Asks: why does Hyp’s claim bother you?) PE#1. – This could be designed to manipulate the Interrogator into attacking Justin. Ben’s one original statement is a thorn in vol’s side and his one point in Justin’s favor is something easily refuted by vol. The question asked Jus is loaded and the most open ended of all of them.
Whether you believe this or not, I have no where near the subtlety in my playstyle to attempt a trap like that, whether scum or town. I don't see how the Justin question is loaded. I legitimately wanted to see more from him in his analysis of Hypatia. I thought it had been weak up till that point, and that by asking him to think about what part of the claim bothers him, he may uncover new evidence or dig himself a hole.
Y wrote:K7 – lurker, repeats others’ evidence, rates him @ 55%. (Asks: Is Ythill buddying?) PE#3 – This question is the most cut and dry of them all. It’s also the only one in which he directly feeds a case to the person questioned.
Already addressed this. Also see my post 7 where I call him out for exactly what I was intending to find.
Y wrote:Klebian – the most pro-town because ben agrees with what he says, but thinks he needs to commit more; rates him @ 45%. (Asks: Hyp or Jus?) – Had ben already guessed that kleb was the vig? In that case, it would make sense to be nice to him. Ben never mentions him again.
Not that you can believe me, but I had no idea klebian was the vig. I never mention him again because I found him pro-town, I had strong scum reads on other players so I focused on them.
Y wrote:Vol-II – spurg and thinktank uber-lurked, vol made good points, rates at 55%. (Asks: k7 or Jus?) – This entry is very empty and I get nothing from it, except a global argument about the questions (see below)
There was nothing to talk about and thus I talked about nothing.
Y wrote:Ythill – solid (not townie) play, repeats others’ evidence, suggests buddying to vol-I; rates @ 50%. (Asks: Hyp or Jus?) There’s a little ego stroking in here, which could be manipulative. He gives credit to the vol-I + Yth buddying argument here, including vol-I’s inconvenient town confirmation as evidence that it was all my doing. What gets me about this is that the assumptive nature of this argument was one of his three reasons for suspecting Justin and he’s already backing off of it.
I was mentioning that it was possible, not that it was likely. In this case I was not putting forward the idea as an important argument, it was merely something to think about if I (or someone else) thought you were scummy later on. The difference between that and the Justin argument is that his assumption formed the basis of a whole case, mine was supporting a minor point for possible consideration.

Global Points
Y wrote:Rogueben gives three reasons for suspecting Justin. One is partially dismissed in the same post. Another is entirely abandoned when challenged. The third is backed off of and then re-ignited. During this, ben’s behavior towards Justin seems to indicate that he is becoming more suspicious of him rather than less. All of this changes in ben’s last post of the day, in which he puts forth a theory that requires Justin to be town, agrees that Justin should be allowed to speak before he’s hammered, and keeps voting for Justin.
Already gone over most of this. I was not getting more suspicious of Justin, I was retaining my current suspicion. Can you site any evidence that suggests I was becoming more suspicious of Justin? Also I have already mentioned this but the "theory" about you in my last point was a minor point. I said it was only a tad scummy which implies that it wasn't a huge suspicion.
Y wrote:The questions posted with ben’s entrance analysis are very manipulative. His prime target is wordy and is asked the only truly open-ended question; it’s about a touchy subject for which Justin is already being scrutinized. Ben’s secondary suspect is asked about theory, a subject for which she has been reprimanded for visiting. Ben’s third suspect, now confirmed scum, is fed a case and asked to either agree or disagree with it. The other three (two heavies and the vig) are asked to choose between two targets, one of which (in every case) is Justin. Vol is the only one asked about k7; meanwhile other manipulation points him at Justin.
I have already gone over most of this as well. The reason I asked you three the questions about suspicions were 1. to get commitment to one person and 2. because I saw you three as the most likely to be town so I wanted your opinions on the players I thought were most likely to be scum. Voll seemed to rate k7 higher in suspicion than Hyp so I asked him about k7. There is no real logic further than that.
Y wrote:Rogueben disappears more than 48 hours before the day ends and doesn’t check back in until morning. He leaves with the impression that he’ll switch his vote at the last minute, if needed, but doesn’t even check back in. If not for Hypatia’s vote, we’d have had another mislynch.
I've already been through this as well, I did see it as likely that I would be around come deadline, hence leaving it off. When I was called to the rehearsal, that took priority (money before fun everytime).

I will try and get some analysis of Hypatia and Vollkan done on Thursday (no time whatsoever tomorrow) just in case I am lynched.
Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:54 am

Post by Rogueben »

ARGH sorry about the tags.

MOD would you be kind enough to fix those for me for readability

Sure thing.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:19 am

Post by Ythill »

ben wrote:I wasn't backing off about his treatment of Hypatia, I was saying that his more recent post on this had some valid points that I had to consider.
Which is what I was referring to when I said “backing off.” Sorry if my terminology was a little sketchy. Note that I don’t think this “backing off” is scummy at all. It only becomes indicative of your alignment when viewed in concert with your ongoing treatment of Justin, which doesn’t reflect the change.
ben wrote:Yes I didn't update k7 on a suspicion percentage, I'm new to that system, using for the first time in this game. I forgot to update him. This doesn't mean that mentally I hadn't taken this into account.
I wasn’t talking about explicit percentages but overall tone, scumhunting, etc. In short: your findings created a premise for lessened suspicions of Justin and heightened suspicions of k7, but your actions toward them did not follow that premise.
ben wrote:I was not saying you were scum, and definitely not saying you were likely to be scum with Justin. My point here was that the way you added evidence based off so many assumptions could be seen as scum throwing extra onto the fire.
This defense is slippery and I don’t like it. What you said in your #8 was, “I think that the way you "clear" a lot of people from suspicion about this point is stretching slightly at times and a tad scummy.” Without further qualification, this is an accusation and it doesn’t make sense from a town perspective at the time it was posted.
ben wrote:I found a lot of her hypothetical arguments frustrating. It was my hope that by thinking about the question she would stop the IF X is scum arguments… I thought it had been weak up till that point, and that by asking him to think about what part of the claim bothers him, he may uncover new evidence or dig himself a hole.
And yet…
ben wrote:Whether you believe this or not, I have no where near the subtlety in my playstyle to attempt a trap like that, whether scum or town.
I think I’ll take the “or not” option, thanks.
ben wrote:The difference between that and the Justin argument is that his assumption formed the basis of a whole case, mine was supporting a minor point for possible consideration.
Justin had other evidence as well, most of it against vollkan. I think you’re missing the point of my argument here. I am not saying that I think your treatment of me in this regard was scummy. I am saying that you claimed Justin’s assumptions could be true and extrapolated on them, thereby diminishing your own argument against Justin for those assumptions. Even this is only evidence of your alignment when viewed in conjunction with your ongoing pursuit of a Justin lynch.
ben wrote:I was not getting more suspicious of Justin, I was retaining my current suspicion. Can you site any evidence that suggests I was becoming more suspicious of Justin?
I probably could but, thanks to your statement, I don’t need to. You have explicitly said that you were retaining your current suspicions. In determining scumminess (increasing suspicions + diminishing evidence) = (unchanging suspicions + diminishing evidence).
ben wrote:I did see it as likely that I would be around come deadline, hence leaving it off. When I was called to the rehearsal, that took priority (money before fun everytime).
The rehearsal call explains why you didn’t show up at deadline. It does not explain why you were absent for two full days before deadline. Personally, I don’t think your absence is damning in itself but it becomes another straw on the proverbial camel when considered alongside other factors.

Ben, I'm pretty sure you're going to be lynched today. In case we're wrong though, I am VERY interested in seeing your analysis of Hypatia. Also, I am wondering why you didn't participate in the mass claim.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Post by Rogueben »

Y wrote:This defense is slippery and I don’t like it. What you said in your #8 was, “I think that the way you "clear" a lot of people from suspicion about this point is stretching slightly at times and a tad scummy.” Without further qualification, this is an accusation and it doesn’t make sense from a town perspective at the time it was posted.
A tad scummy implies that it's not full directed suspicion. It is also not an accusation, just like getting bumped up 5% in a scumdar is not accusation, it is merely the view that you are slightly scummier now than you were before.
Y wrote:Justin had other evidence as well, most of it against vollkan. I think you’re missing the point of my argument here. I am not saying that I think your treatment of me in this regard was scummy. I am saying that you claimed Justin’s assumptions could be true and extrapolated on them, thereby diminishing your own argument against Justin for those assumptions. Even this is only evidence of your alignment when viewed in conjunction with your ongoing pursuit of a Justin lynch.
Hmm. I see where you are coming from. In your case I was really acknowledging the fact that it was possible that you were scum, but it ain't necessarily so. I see how that diminishes my argument on Justin though.
Y wrote:I probably could but, thanks to your statement, I don’t need to. You have explicitly said that you were retaining your current suspicions. In determining scumminess (increasing suspicions + diminishing evidence) = (unchanging suspicions + diminishing evidence).
What are you getting at here?

Analysis on Hypatia coming up.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:49 am

Post by Ythill »

ben wrote:A tad scummy implies that it's not full directed suspicion. It is also not an accusation, just like getting bumped up 5% in a scumdar is not accusation, it is merely the view that you are slightly scummier now than you were before.
This is semantics and does not change my mind, but I will at least consider your explanation.
ben wrote:
Y wrote:
I probably could but, thanks to your statement, I don’t need to. You have explicitly said that you were retaining your current suspicions. In determining scumminess
(increasing suspicions + diminishing evidence) = (unchanging suspicions + diminishing evidence)
What are you getting at here?
I've bolded the meat of the statement above, but I'll also extrapolate.

One of my main concerns with your play is the way your actions (votes, arguments, etc) don't seem to flow naturally from your points. As one example, I said that your treatment of Justin suggested
increased
suspicions at the same time that your points of suspicion against him were diminishing.

The premise here is that your actions were not motivated by changes in the evidence but by an ulterior motive. In this regard, it is no less telling that your treatment of Justin was based, as you've said in defense, on
unchanging
suspicions at the same time that your points of suspicion were diminishing. In this case the evidence is
different
against you but still points to the same conclusion.

I don't see how you can retract the unchanging suspicions statement and you've now conceded that your points of suspicion
appeared
to have diminished. The only argument left, I think, is one of perception.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 am

Post by Hypatia »

Still here. Still favor lynching Rogueben over lynching Vollkan.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:48 am

Post by Ythill »

Me too, and discussion seems to be winding down.

I want to hear Justin's view of vollkan (either an analysis or his comments on mine) and his preference for the lynch. Unless he disagrees, I'm ready to vote.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Post by vollkan »

*tumbleweed*

I'm awaiting Justin's analysis.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:43 am

Post by Ythill »

Checking in.

Deadline Tuesday morning. I suggest that we vote tomorrow. Even if Justin doesn't check back in, two of us from the bloc should be suffiecient.

Ben, I think we're lynching you but you might want to vote for vollkan in case we have any last minute mind changes.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Rogueben
Rogueben
Goon
Rogueben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Post by Rogueben »

vote: Vollkan

I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter whether you lynch me or Vollkan. The play is really simple tomorrow, lynch the remaining player. So I don't really mind if you decide to lynch me now, as it seems this game is basically won already.
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 am

Post by Hypatia »

Vote: Rogueben

Not much more to say.
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:45 am

Post by Ythill »

Last chance for Justin to speak up. I'm going to check my other games and post in them first. Then I'll drop the hammer.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am

Post by Ythill »

Okay, time's up. Sorry if you had more to say Justin, but my curiosity has reached a fever pitch.

Vote: Rogueben
. Goodnight.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

ChaosOmega
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:48 am

Post by ChaosOmega »

End of Day Votecount

Rogueben (3) - vollkan II, Hypatia, Ythill
vollkan II (1) - Rogueben

Not Voting (1) - Justin Playfair

The town gathers in a circle around Rogueben and throws a noose around his neck before lynching him. Turns out that was a good decision, as Rogueben was the last remaining member of the mafia.

Rogueben, mafia godfather, lynched Day 4

The remaining members of the town are at peace, knowing that all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Town wins!

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”