Grand Jury.... In light of The Breonna Taylor case

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
TheFuzzylogic99
TheFuzzylogic99
Mafia Scum
TheFuzzylogic99
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Grand Jury.... In light of The Breonna Taylor case

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:06 am

Post by TheFuzzylogic99 »

How a grand jury works......
With the announcement of the Breonna Taylor grand jury being announced I thought I would share my insight on the process having served on a grand jury. I will not comment on the case

what is a Grand jury

A grand jury is a group of people usually between 8-10 people who decides if the DA has enough evidence to prosecute the case. They do not decide the guilt or innocence of a person, They also judge the merit of a case

How it works

The jury is put in the room. They are not allowed to share details of the cases with family or friends once they leave. A representative of the DA as well as the cops working the case will come in the room. The representative will announce the charges that they are seeking in the case. Evidence for the case as well as other important information is given. Jury members are allowed to ask questions related to the case. The DA as well as the cops leave the room The head jury member then takes a vote on each count. The majority of the vote decides whether or not the case will go forward. This happens over and over till the docket of case assigned to the grand jury is done

Example

Suppose Bob is being prosecuted for a drug charge. One day he was driving along and he is stopped. In a search of bob car, they find 10 kilograms of cocaine. The prosecutor decides to take the case to a grand jury. In the Grand jury, the DA will have to prove that the cop had reason to pull him over. If they did not hey can seek prosecution. They also have to show evidence to prove they have enough evidence to have a reasonable chance to win the
case
This is kind of the simplify version but I thought it is important info to share. It also can vary from place to place

This not for purpose of discussing any one case but in talking about the process itself

Return to “General Discussion”