Micro 974.1: Dung Beetle Redux (Game Over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Micro 974.1: Dung Beetle Redux (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Micro 974.1: The Last of the Red-Horned Dung Beetles, Take 2

Moderator: Something_Smart
Backup Moderator: the worst
Shoutout to: Isis, our new Micro listmod!

Alive Players:

Spoiler:
  1. Herta,
    Mafia Goon

2. Bunno,
    Mafia Goon

Dead Players:

Spoiler:
  1. TheGoldenParadox,
    Town Surgeon
    , executed Day 1
  2. NorwegianboyEE,
    Town Surgeon
    , killed Night 1
  3. Tayl0r Swift,
    Town Surgeon
    , executed Day 2
  4. Taly,
    Town Surgeon
    , killed Night 2
  5. bugspray
    Professor Mafia
    Town Surgeon
    , executed Day 3
  6. Smoke and Mirrors (PookyTheMagicalBear + Nancy Drew 39),
    Town Sentry
    , endgamed
  7. JohnnyFarrar,
    Town Surgeon
    , endgamed
Last edited by Something_Smart on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:22 am

The Rules:

1. All site rules apply.
2. Be nice. Mafia games can get heated but remember never to attack the person.
3. Play to your wincon.
4. Days are approximately 8 days long, nights are approximately 48 hours long.
5. Failure to post at least once every 48 hours will result in a prod. If you do not pick up your prod in 24 hours, or if I feel that your activity is low enough to be disrespectful to the other players, I will look for a replacement.
6. Please put votes in this format: VOTE: Something_Smart. Bolded votes are allowed (
Vote: Something_Smart
), but I'm more likely to miss them. In case you don't know, you can vote with:

Code: Select all

[v]Something_Smart[/v]

and unvote with

Code: Select all

[uv][/uv]

Unvotes are not necessary to change your vote.
In addition, to vote for a player to receive the Beetle, use the heal tags, like so: HEAL: Something_Smart. This vote can be removed with HEAL: Unvote or UNVOTE: heal Something_Smart.
7. No vote trickery. Votes inside spoiler tags and obviously broken quotes will not be counted. Don't attempt to confuse other players over whether your vote was valid.
8. If more than half the players are voting for a player, then that player is hammered and removed from the game, and the day will end. If the deadline is reached before a hammer occurs, the day will end without anyone dying.
9. If you have a question for me, put it in bold and say
@Mod
or
@Something_Smart
. If it's not something you want made public, feel free to shoot me a PM. If you need me in a pinch, you can reach me on Discord under
Something_Smart#8109
(and the worst under
Tom#4827
).
This spooky shade of orange (#4F2200) is the mod color.
Do not use it. Do not impersonate me.
11. Do not discuss this game in any other thread except in PT's created specifically for this game. Do not discuss any other ongoing game in this thread.
12. Do not quote any out-of-thread communications with me or with any other player.
13. Do not post if you are dead.
14. Do not pretend to break any of these rules. Pretending to break a rule is punishable just as harshly as actually breaking it.
15. My word is law. Just because it is not stated here does not mean that it is acceptable. I am generally a nice person, and will give you a warning if you do something I don't approve of, but it's always better to ask than risk the consequences (see rule 9).
16. The mafia have daytalk and may request a Discord server if they so desire.
17. This is an open setup. The setup is as follows:
Spoiler: Setup
Breaking news! A live specimen of the Red-Horned Dung Beetle (Scarabaeus perplexia), once thought to be extinct, has been discovered deep in the African jungle. As far as we know, this is the only living Red-Horned Dung Beetle left in existence, and that has caught the attention of some... rather eccentric collectors, who seem to be abandoning scruples in an attempt to capture it.

The beetle was placed in the care of Dr. Zenkava of the University of Warsaw, but it seems there has been some grave news on this front. Dr. Zenkava was shot outside of the laboratory and is now in critical condition at Orłowskiego Hospital. We can only hope that Dr. Zenkava is able to recover quickly enough to identify the attacker, who is still at large. In the meantime, a new caretaker for the beetle must be found...

2 Mafia Goons

7 Townies

All townies have an equal chance of being a
Gardener
, a
Sentry
, or a
Surgeon

The
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
begins the game with no caretaker. During any day in which it has no caretaker, players may-- but do not have to-- make a majority vote to place the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
in the care of a player. If a Mafia member ever becomes the caretaker of the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
, the Mafia win immediately. (This means that any player receiving it is confirmed as town, if the game continues.) If the caretaker of the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
dies, it will revert to having no caretaker.

During the night, the players may take the following actions:

Mafia Goon
-- each night, one Mafia member may carry out the factional kill on a player of their choice.
Mafia Goon
-- each night, each Mafia member may attempt to steal the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
. This will only succeed if the Beetle has no caretaker at the time the action resolves; steals resolve after kills, so this can happen if the caretaker dies that night. If successful, the Mafia member will come into possession of the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
, and thus win the game.
Mafia Goon
-- once during the game, one Mafia member may roleblock a player, preventing them from taking any actions that night. This may be done at the same time as the above actions.

Town Gardener
-- each night, the Gardener may choose one of two options: either (1) target a player and learn whether or not that player has attempted to steal the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
on this night or any previous night; or (2) target a player and make them permanently unable to possess the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
(if they are voted to receive it, instead nothing will happen, and if they attempt to steal it the attempt will automatically fail).

Town Sentry
-- once per game, if not the caretaker of the Beetle, the Sentry may choose one of two options: either (1) defend the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
, preventing anyone from stealing it that night; or (2) attempt to steal the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
, becoming its new caretaker if successful (if the Beetle has a caretaker, this is only successful if the caretaker dies that night). Sentries have a higher steal priority than Mafia members; if multiple players of the same alignment make an unblocked attempt to steal the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
in the same night, one will succeed at random.
Town Sentry
-- once per game, if the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
has a caretaker, the Sentry may choose to guard that caretaker. If the caretaker would die at night, the Sentry dies instead. If multiple Sentries guard a player who is attacked, one dies at random. If the Sentry guards a player who is also healed by a Surgeon, the Sentry will still die.

Town Surgeon
-- each night, the Surgeon may choose one of two options: either (1) heal a player that they did not heal in the previous night, protecting them from death if they are not also a Surgeon; or (2) operate on Dr. Zenkava. If exactly one Surgeon operates on Dr. Zenkava, and that Surgeon survives the night and is not roleblocked, the operation will be a success, and any further operation attempts by that Surgeon will do nothing (but will not interfere with other Surgeons operating). If two successful operation attempts are made on Dr. Zenkava, the Doctor wakes up and is able to identify the attacker; the Mafia must choose one of their living members to be publicly revealed as Mafia at the start of the following day.

No players may self-target.

The
Town
wins when all Mafia members are dead.
The
Mafia
win when they control 50% of living players, or if a Mafia member is ever the caretaker of the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
Spoiler: Role PM's
Town GardenerWelcome, XXXX, to Micro 974: The Last Of The Red-Horned Dung Beetles. Your role is
Town Gardener.

Each night, you may choose one of two options:
  • Target another player and learn whether or not that player has attempted to steal the
    Red-Horned Dung Beetle
    on this night or any previous night; OR
  • Target another player and make them permanently unable to gain possession of the
    Red-Horned Dung Beetle
You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.
The game thread is here.
Town SentryWelcome, XXXX, to Micro 974: The Last Of The Red-Horned Dung Beetles. Your role is
Town Sentry.

Once per game, if you do not possess the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
, you may choose one of two options:
  • Defend the
    Red-Horned Dung Beetle
    , preventing anyone from stealing it that night; OR
  • Attempt to steal the
    Red-Horned Dung Beetle
    , becoming its new caretaker if successful (if the Beetle has a caretaker, this is only successful if the caretaker dies that night).
Additionally, once per game, if the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle
has a caretaker other than you, you may use the following ability:
  • Guard the Beetle's caretaker. If the caretaker would die at night, you will die instead.
You win when all mafia members are dead and at least one town member remains alive.

Please respond to this PM indicating you understand your role and your win condition.
The game thread is here.
Town SurgeonWelcome, XXXX, to Micro 974: The Last Of The Red-Horned Dung Beetles. Your role is
Town Surgeon.

Each night, you may choose one of two options:
  • Heal a player that you did not heal in the previous night, protecting them from death if they are not also a Surgeon; OR
  • Operate on Dr. Zenkava. If exactly one Surgeon operates on Dr. Zenkava, and that Surgeon survives the night and is not roleblocked, the operation will be a success, and any further operation attempts by that Surgeon will do nothing. If two successful operation attempts are made on Dr. Zenkava, the Doctor wakes up and is able to identify the attacker; the Mafia must choose one of their living members to be publicly revealed as Mafia at the start of the following day.

The game thread is here.
Mafia GoonWelcome, XXXX, to Micro 974: The Last Of The Red-Horned Dung Beetles. Your role is
Mafia Goon.

Your partner is YYYY. You have a private topic (link) that you may talk in at any time.

You have the following powers:
  • Factional kill: Each night, one of your members may carry out the factional kill on a player of your choice.
  • Steal: Each night, you may attempt to steal the
    Red-Horned Dung Beetle
    . This will only succeed if the Beetle has no caretaker at the time the action resolves; steals resolve after kills, so this can happen if the caretaker dies that night. If successful, you will come into possession of the
    Red-Horned Dung Beetle
    , and thus win the game.
  • Factional roleblock: once during the game, one of your members may roleblock a player, preventing them from taking any actions that night. This may be done at the same time as the above actions.
You win when the mafia control 50% of the town or when a mafia member possesses the
Red-Horned Dung Beetle

The game thread is here.
Spoiler: Action Resolution Order
  1. Mafia
    Roleblock

2. Gardener
    Prevent

3. Sentry
    Defend

4. Sentry
    Guard

5. Surgeon
    Heal

6. Mafia
    Kill

7. Sentry
    Steal

8. Mafia
    Steal

9. Gardener
    Investigate

10. Surgeon
    Operate
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:01 am

Role PM's are out. The game will begin when 8/9 players have confirmed.

Confirmed: 8/9
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:10 pm

Yadda, yadda. Something something flavor. You all know the drill. Let's get started!

VC 1.0
Not voting (9)- Herta, Smoke and Mirrors, Taly, NorwegianBoyEE, Tayl0r Swift, Bunno, JohnnyFarrar, Professor Mafia, TheGoldenParadox

With 9 alive it takes 5 to reach a majority.

Deadline is in (expired on 2020-10-27 20:00:00)

Mod notes: Professor Mafia has 24 hours from the start of the game to confirm or be replaced.

Beetle StatusThe Red-Horned Dung Beetle has
no caretaker.

Not voting (9)- Herta, Smoke and Mirrors, Taly, NorwegianBoyEE, Tayl0r Swift, Bunno, JohnnyFarrar, Professor Mafia, TheGoldenParadox
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Post by Bunno »

Churros aka Volpe aka Nibbui aka Fumuki
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by Taly »

iM nOt A gArDeNeR
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Post by Bunno »

btw I've decided to not vote for fluff stuff in this game in hopes of getting a higher scum-voting-history by the end

I was inspired to adopt the style after a very recent encounter

so yeah I probably will only vote when I'm confident on something

Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Post by Bunno »

In post 5, Taly wrote:iM nOt A gArDeNeR
this isn't serious right?
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by Taly »

In post 7, Bunno wrote:
depends, you think claiming
gardener/not gardener
is a good idea here?
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by Bunno »

Taly vote norwe for me pls

he hasn't suffered enough for betraying us in the previous run

I only hope he isn't gonna betray me again because in that scenario I would need to disown him from the weeb family
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Post by Bunno »

In post 8, Taly wrote:
In post 7, Bunno wrote:
gardener/not gardener
is a good idea here?
HmhmHmhm

I'm thinking if I can do even smarter things here so for now I would like to hold on claims
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:21 pm

Post by Taly »

the equity of me being a braindead pocket has skyrocketed because technically the previous game concluded.

i want to know if your mech ideas have changed

p-edit

Bunno wrote:
In post 8, Taly wrote:
In post 7, Bunno wrote:
gardener/not gardener
is a good idea here?
HmhmHmhm

I'm thinking if I can do even smarter things here so for now I would like to hold on claims
good, i said that to see your reaction
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Post by Bunno »

Schrödinger's Lovers
was both successful and a failure in the previous run I guess

In the first night, it was likely that John would be able to operate the doctor, but since there was no other doctor it didn't mean much. It's not like I hadn't realized the fact that there's that possibility, or the fact that if we pick a "both-doctors" pair, and both waste their operation together, our chances of getting Dr.Zenkawa operated gets to pretty much zero since we would need four doctors to exist at minimum in the game.

It's a good plan overall though, I'm just thinking if I can do better here.
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Post by Bunno »

Of course I hadn't said that hoping mafia wouldn't realize it by themselves, but I may have better ideas for this game hmm
TheGoldenParadox
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Post by TheGoldenParadox »

would you like me to read the last game or just describe the plan :P
JohnnyFarrar
JohnnyFarrar
Jack of All Trades
JohnnyFarrar
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by JohnnyFarrar »

Man we woulda wrecked that last game so hard
Phone posting. Low effort, big fun.
"In my heart, Johnny will always be scum" - Not_Mafia
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Bunno »

I'll describe a plan when I've settled on one I think. If you mean you do have a plan you're free to share, but I highly, highly, highly suggest you read the previous game

We talked a lot about mech stuff there from pages 7 to 13 especially. I'm super not in the mood to repeat myself to be honest.
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Bunno »

In post 15, JohnnyFarrar wrote:Man we woulda wrecked that last game so hard
I basically consider it a win tbh
TheGoldenParadox
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Post by TheGoldenParadox »

sounds good.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Post by Taly »

don't disappoint me :) i have a
sHaRp BeAk

im running out of toucan gifs

p-edit

TheGoldenParadox wrote:would you like me to read the last game or just describe the plan :P
2 non-gardeners claim.
any sentries will withhold N1 actions
any doctors will operate

this allows some role coordination with as little one-shot flushing as discussed so far + minimal mafia info
JohnnyFarrar wrote:Man we woulda wrecked that last game so hard
I KNOW RIGHT. OH MY GOD.

THE ONE TIME I HAD GOOD READS.

p-edit again omfg

Bunno wrote:
In post 15, JohnnyFarrar wrote:Man we woulda wrecked that last game so hard
I basically consider it a win tbh
same, i feel for
norwe
tbh haha
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Post by Bunno »

In post 16, Bunno wrote:I'm super not in the mood to repeat myself to be honest.
I mean by explaining why the plan is bad

By the way I would have explained a few things after I got the bug in the last game, but I'll explain now:

The "mafia has a natural 25% ~ 33% chance of winning this if we go along with the [sentries steal bug at night plan], because mafia can target someone in the potential sentries group with a [Steal & NK], potentially winning in N1" thingy was a white lie.

I told it to get the bug, and because of some other reasons, but you can understand that it's a lie when you look at the natural order of resolution:
In post 1, Something_Smart wrote:Mafia Roleblock
Gardener Prevent
Sentry Defend
Sentry Guard
Surgeon Heal
Mafia Kill

Sentry Steal

Mafia Steal
Gardener Investigate
Surgeon Operate
The mafia NK is resolved before the steals actions, therefore even if they attempt to [kill & steal] from a potential sentry that would get the bug, the kill would be resolved before the mod would count the sentries/mafia steal actions. Therefore there is very low odds that mafia would get the bug in N1 if there's at least 2 sentries. It's basically impossible for them to get if there's 3 sentries and all of them steal during the night.

It's possible to lose by having only one sentry though, and I felt like it would simply be better if I would get the bug myself there but...

I don't really feel like getting the bug here, It's too effort consuming to town tell as hard as I did in the past game, fight off suspicious, keep replying to people, etc. I'm ok being more of a side character here.

I'm honestly a bit tired overall.
JohnnyFarrar
JohnnyFarrar
Jack of All Trades
JohnnyFarrar
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Post by JohnnyFarrar »

I'll still be p townie honestly my whole style is pretty low effort
Phone posting. Low effort, big fun.
"In my heart, Johnny will always be scum" - Not_Mafia
Bunno
Bunno
Goon
Bunno
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Post by Bunno »

this thread died fast...
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

yo norwee

are you a VT again?

:3
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
TheGoldenParadox
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:00 pm