Newbie 1821: The Newlywed Game [Game Over][

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Newbie 1821: The Newlywed Game [Game Over][

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Cabd »

Welcome to Newbie 1821: The Newlywed Game. This is a forum mafia game for 9 players. It also continues the flavor train that is my obsession with daytime game show network television. Theme, while amusing and light, has no bearing whatsoever on roles, or game-play. It's just a pretty way of making the thread look neat. And possibly of posting pretty wedding photos....

The backup moderator for this game is Penguin_Alien. You may treat any post or message from her as if it came from me.

Here is the player roster. It will be updated to reflect replacements if any are to occur:

northsidegal
CheekyTeeky Artemis3000
Mr Moisto
Plus Minus
darrenwoodward10
Nictis doomslayer115
Keychain (SE) Whymafia (SE) Ciara24 (SE)
Assemblerotws (SE) RadiantCowbells (SE) iDanyboy (SE)
Huntress (IC)

Click the "spoiler" button here to see who is currently alive and who is currently dead:
Spoiler:
Alive
:
Plus Minus
Assemblerotws RadiantCowbells (SE) iDanyboy (SE)
Huntress (IC)

Dead
:
Nictis: Mafia Goon Lynched Day One

CheekyTeeky, Town Doctor, was killed night one.

UC Voyager, Vanilla Townie, was lynched day two.

Keychain, Vanilla Townie, was killed night two.

darrenwoodward10, Vanilla Townie, was lynched day three.

northsidegal, Town Tracker, was killed night three.

If for some tragic reason, a player is modkilled, their name will appear when you click this spoiler button:
Spoiler:
This better not happen ever.
Last edited by Cabd on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 am

Post by Cabd »

Setup Info

This game is ran using the newbie setup, Matrix 6, Designed by Cogito Ergo Sum. This means there are six possible setups you can be playing.

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot

Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each potential setup is represented by either a row or column. Therefore the six possible setups are:

1. Town Jailkeeper, Town 1-shot Bulletproof, 5 Vanilla Town, Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon

2. Town Cop, 6 Vanilla Town, 2 Mafia Goons

3. Town Doctor, Town Tracker, 5 Vanilla Town, 2 Mafia Goons

4. Town Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Town, 2 Mafia Goons

5. Town Cop, Town Doctor, 5 Vanilla Town, Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon

6. Town Tracker, Town 1-shot Bulletproof, 5 Vanilla Town, 2 Mafia Goons

Setup Specific Rules:

1. Mafia Power Roles may both use their night action and preform the kill.
2. The 1-shot Bulletproof player is NOT informed if their bulletproof ability has been used.
3. The Mafia Roleblocker resolves before the Town Jailkeeper, if needed.
4. The Bulletproof cannot be roleblocked.

My Rules
(You'll want to read these)

1. I don’t tolerate ad hom wars. If your posting is merely insulting a player without providing game content, you can expect a strike from me. Three strikes, you’re out. I’m fairly lenient about this, but posting “Fuck you” over and over again is simply not acceptable. Severe issues will be reported to the list mod(s).

2. If I say it violates these rules, it does. You can take it up with me postgame if you wish.

3. Play towards your win condition. Gambits are fine, directly harming your own team is not.

4. Once a lynch is reached, you may continue discussion until I lock the thread. No votes or unvotes will count after a lynch has been achieved.

5. A lynch is achieved as a majority of players voting for somebody. Half is not a majority.

6. Do not quote or pretend to quote any information you get from me via PM. This includes posting your role card verbatim. Paraphrasing is fine, as are role claims naturally.

7. Do not talk about this game anywhere else, or with anyone else.

8. All deadlines are exactly 2 weeks in duration. A countdown will be present in my vote count posts. All night phases will last 48 hours.

9. Do not discuss ongoing games in this thread. This includes games on sites other than mafiascum. This also includes using [redacted] as that loophole does not fly here.

10. I am rather lenient upon activity. You must post once every 48 hours. Failure to do so will earn you a prod. Respond to your prod within 24 hours, or face replacement. Three prods is also a force replacement.

11. Claiming scum by yourself is fine. Claiming scum with another player is an instant modkill. Don't do it.

12. I do not require unvotes. Your vote will be counted so long as you bold it or use the vote tag. Shorthand names are fine so long as it’s clear who the vote is for.

13. If you have a question, please PM me. I’m an addict that sits around on his inbox all day anyways. If a question is something that should be answered publicly, I will make a post addressing it without naming who asked it.

14. If my vote count is wrong, you can PM me or post in the thread (use the bold tag and "@MOD") about it.

15. I do not fix tags or edit posts where you might make a formatting mistake, even if you ask me to.

16. I reserve the right to add to these rules or modify them, but only when I post notifying all players in the game of the change.

17. Loophole abuse is all fun and games until I modkill you. Don’t try it.

18. Blue (
This color at #0000FF
)is my color. You are welcome to use any other color of the rainbow.

19. Encryption, text hiding, and the like are silly. Don’t do it.

20. Extensions will be granted at 48 hours per replacement, up to a total duration of 4 days max per game phase.

21. Do not use temporary information to convey messages. This includes your signature and your avatar, but is not limited to these things.

22. While putting your vote or unvote on its own line is helpful, it is not necessary and any attempts to game voting formatting will be dealt with as an attempt to cheat. If I think it was a vote, it was a vote.

23. A modkill will always punish the faction modkilled more as far as timing goes. All modkills will be done after consultation with the listmods. Modkills may or may not end the day. Modkilled players will be changed to a neutral survivor, meaning they lose the game instantly.

24. In the event of site downtime lasting more than 3 hours; time will be added to the deadline to compensate at a 1 to 1 ratio.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 am

Post by Cabd »

Here are the possible role cards:

Spoiler: Show Possible Roles
Vanilla Townie:
You are a vanilla townie.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you have no actions. You win with the town when all the mafia are dead and at least one townsperson is alive.

Town Jailkeeper:
You are a Town Jailkeeper.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you may send me a name. That person will be protected from night kills for the night, but also any actions they attempt to make will be blocked. You win with the town when all the mafia are dead and at least one townsperson is alive.

Town Doctor:
You are a Town Doctor.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you may send me a name. That person will be protected from night kills for the night. You win with the town when all the mafia are dead and at least one townsperson is alive.

Town Tracker:
You are a Town Tracker.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you may send me a name. You will be told who, if anyone, your chosen name visited that night. You win with the town when all the mafia are dead and at least one townsperson is alive.

Town Cop:
You are a Town Cop.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you may send me a name. In response at day's start, I will tell you if that person is Mafia or Town. You win with the town when all the mafia are dead and at least one townsperson is alive.

Town 1-Shot Bulletproof:
You are a Town 1-shot Bulletproof.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you are immune to the first kill attempt made upon your life. You will NOT be notified if this is used. You win with the town when all the mafia are dead and at least one townsperson is alive.

Mafia Goon:
You are a Mafia Goon.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote, oh and of course your gun. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you may send me a name, and you will kill that person. You win with the mafia when all the town are dead and at least one mafia is alive, or nothing can prevent this from happening.

Mafia Roleblocker:
You are a Mafia Roleblocker.
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote, oh and of course your gun. At day, you may vote on who to lynch. At night, you may send me a name, and you will kill that person. Additionally, at night, you may send me a name and any night role that person attempts to use will fail. You win with the mafia when all the town are dead and at least one mafia is alive, or nothing can prevent this from happening.
Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Post by Cabd »

~Pregame Phase~

Role PMs are going out now, and the game will begin when 8 of the 9 players have confirmed with a reply PM.
Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Post by Cabd »

The game currently has 6 of 9 confirmed players. I did not forget ya'll. Game will begin, as previously stated, when 8 of 9 are confirmed.
Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Post by Cabd »

Game coming up hot!
Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Post by Cabd »

Flavor, this has no bearing on game mechanics or rules
Okay contestants, the first question! How many Mafiascum.net references can one Dudist priest drop in a single go?

We asked your partners. Now let's see how well you know their knowledge of this incredibly general and not at all vague topic!

Show

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Post by Cabd »

Votecount 1-1

It is currently day one. With 9 players alive, it will take 5 votes to lynch or force a no-lynch.

Not Voting (9): northsidegal, Artemis3000, Mr Moisto, Plus Minus, darrenwoodward10, doomslayer115, Ciara24, iDanyboy, Huntress

The deadline for day one was set at 2 weeks from the start of the day. The current timer can be seen here: (expired on 2017-09-14 22:53:26)
Show

northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Post by northsidegal »

finally! i wish i knew who took so long to confirm so i could vote them!
Plus Minus
Plus Minus
Townie
Plus Minus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Plus Minus »

I hit refresh on the main page more times than I care to admit this week.
darrenwoodward10
darrenwoodward10
Goon
darrenwoodward10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Post by darrenwoodward10 »

Hello everyone!
I have had experience with Mafia in the past but this is my first time with forum-style Mafia, so this will be a new experience for me. That being said, I do agree on voting on who took so long to confirm. If only we could find out...
Mr Moisto
Mr Moisto
Townie
Mr Moisto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Post by Mr Moisto »

Hi guys, I'm also new at mafia and I'm pumped to try this out. Also dose it normally take this long for people to confirm?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 pm

Post by Huntress »

Hi everyone! I am the Inexperience-Challenged (IC) player in this game. Basically it means that if at any time you have any questions (not related to your role) about game mechanics, mafia theory or about anything that is happening in the game, feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Some things I may have to give a partial answer for because of the game being ongoing. If that happens I will let you know and will make a note to come back to it after the game is over. If you have any questions related to your role then please send a PM to the mod as these should not be asked in game.

I guarantee that I will not lie about theory and practice regardless of my alignment, and my alignment is randomized along with everyone else's so I could be either town or mafia.

I highly recommend reading Fonzie's Guide to Early Game Survival for Newbies Good for not-so-new players too!

Usually, once the game has officially begun, we start the game with the
Random Voting Stage (RVS)
, where we vote for randomish reasons. The purpose of this is to immediately get people talking about things and to help get the game moving. Not everyone votes in their first post as you'll see when playing or reading more games. I sometimes do and sometimes don't. RVS tends to go on for a page or so until someone finds something worth following up.

Some people prefer to start with a Random Question Stage (RQS) instead, where they ask everyone to reply to a set of questions which may or may not appear relevant to the game. The danger of this is that players may inadvertantly say something which gives a clue to their role. (And be wary because some questioners may actually be fishing for this!)

Vote, but don't quicklynch!
If your vote puts someone at L-1 (only one more vote needed to lynch), then say so. The next person who wants to vote that person should declare intent to hammer and ask for a claim before making the final vote. We don't have a fixed-length Day phase here so the Day ends as soon as a majority, in this case five votes, is reached. The deadline is only there to stop the day going on too long.

If you want to refer to other games that's fine
as long as they are over
Never talk about other ongoing games.

I'll add more stuff as we go along but the best way to learn is from experience so jump in, keep active (try for at least one post a day), and have fun!

More useful links:
Glossary
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Newbie Guide
A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:54 pm

Post by Huntress »

Good to see all the enthusiasm. :D
In post 8, northsidegal wrote:finally! i wish i knew who took so long to confirm so i could vote them!
Trying to get us to look the other way?

Vote: northsidegal

In post 10, darrenwoodward10 wrote:That being said, I do agree on voting on who took so long to confirm. If only we could find out...
You too? Why the ellipses?
In post 11, Mr Moisto wrote:Also dose it normally take this long for people to confirm?
What often happens with newbie games is that some people new to the site sign up for a game and then never log in again. If that's happened here then those players will be replaced shortly.
darrenwoodward10
darrenwoodward10
Goon
darrenwoodward10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 am

In post 10, darrenwoodward10 wrote:That being said, I do agree on voting on who took so long to confirm. If only we could find out...
You too? Why the ellipses?
I like to leave my trails of thought on ellipses, I like to think it adds effect. I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to vote off the people that made me wait this long for my first game because I was super hyped. And now the game finally starts when I've gone without sleeping for 29 hours and I'm waiting in an airport for my delayed flight, so yeah, I say let's vote off the people that are responsible for this.

Also, huge apology in advance if I mess up any of the syntax.
Mr Moisto
Mr Moisto
Townie
Mr Moisto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Post by Mr Moisto »

So do each Mafia members preform individual kills or do they share a single faction kill each night?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:11 am

Post by Huntress »

In post 14, darrenwoodward10 wrote: I like to leave my trails of thought on ellipses, I like to think it adds effect. I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to vote off the people that made me wait this long for my first game because I was super hyped. And now the game finally starts when I've gone without sleeping for 29 hours and I'm waiting in an airport for my delayed flight, so yeah, I say let's vote off the people that are responsible for this.
Trouble with that is that we can only tell for certain who delayed if they admit it or if they get replaced, and in the latter case it's not very fair on the replacements.

In post 15, Mr Moisto wrote:So do each Mafia members preform individual kills or do they share a single faction kill each night?
They share a single faction kill and have to choose which one of them will be carrying it out each night.
Plus Minus
Plus Minus
Townie
Plus Minus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 am

Post by Plus Minus »

For what it is worth, my work schedule is standard monday to Friday 9 to 5 est, during which my only access is via phone.

That being said, i believe that quicklynching due to delays in confirmation when most of us would be new to the site and not yet committed to the experience is a bad idea, also that using irl stress factors to justify the mentality of quicklynching is irresponsible at best and scummy opportunism at worst.
darrenwoodward10
darrenwoodward10
Goon
darrenwoodward10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:29 am

My goal wasn't to quick lynch those responsible for the irl factors, I just wanted to contribute to the random voting stage. I'm not genuinely trying to lynch these people, but I can see we're quickly starting to move towards serious accusations.
iDanyboy
iDanyboy
Goon
iDanyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 am

Post by iDanyboy »

VOTE: +-
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Post by Cabd »

Votecount 1-2

It is currently day one. With 9 players alive, it will take 5 votes to lynch or force a no-lynch.

Northsidegal (1): Huntress
Plus Minus (1): iDannyboy

Not Voting (7): northsidegal, Artemis3000, Mr Moisto, Plus Minus, darrenwoodward10, doomslayer115, Ciara24

The deadline for day one was set at 2 weeks from the start of the day. The current timer can be seen here: (expired on 2017-09-14 22:53:26)
Show

Artemis3000
Artemis3000
Townie
Artemis3000
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Post by Artemis3000 »

okay so I'm confused with what is happening right now. Also I signed up last week Monday/Tuesday and I checked everyday, twice a day for a PM until Tuesday but then kinda gave up getting my hopes up, especially since I left for a roadtrip on Wednesday. Now that I know game is in play I'll check in more often.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 21, Artemis3000 wrote:okay so I'm confused with what is happening right now. Also I signed up last week Monday/Tuesday and I checked everyday, twice a day for a PM until Tuesday but then kinda gave up getting my hopes up, especially since I left for a roadtrip on Wednesday. Now that I know game is in play I'll check in more often.
what are you confused about?
darrenwoodward10
darrenwoodward10
Goon
darrenwoodward10
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:06 pm

In post 21, Artemis3000 wrote:okay so I'm confused with what is happening right now.
Just read the thread up to this point.
Also VOTE: PlusMinus for calling my contribution to the RVS as scummy opportunism, mafia scum trying to act townie by claiming that I'm scum.
iDanyboy
iDanyboy
Goon
iDanyboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:06 am

Post by iDanyboy »

I don't like +- for his lack of a vote when calling someone scummy and don't like that darrenwood doesn't like post 17 but responded to it in post 18 but didn't find it scummy untill post 23 after I had already voted him.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”