Newbie 2074 | Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Newbie 2074 | Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:19 am

Post by Nahdia »

Welcome to...

Newbie 2074

Current Status
:
Game Over
Result
:
~~~MAFIA VICTORY~~~

Full Playerlist
:
Spoiler:
Salsabil Faria
StrangeMatter
JamesTheNames
Leaven
Val89
cowsloveSushirolls
Gamma Emerald (SE)
who replaced ClarkBar

Dannflor (SE)
Ythan (SE)

Player Status
:
Spoiler:
Alive
:

Dannflor
Ythan

Dead
:

Salsabil Faria, eliminated day 1, a vanilla townie
JamesTheNames, killed night 1, a vanilla townie
Gamma Emerald, eliminated day 2, a mafia goon
cowsloveSushirolls, killed night 2, a vanilla townie
StrangeMatter, elminated day 3, a vanilla townie
Leaven, killed night 3, a town cop
Val89, eliminated day 4, a vanilla townie
Last edited by Nahdia on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:06 am, edited 14 times in total.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:43 am

Post by Nahdia »

Game Rules

The Gist
  • Day 1 is up to 10 days long. Days 2+ are up to 7 days long. Nights are 48 hours long.
  • Post at least once every 36 hours (ideally more often) or you will be prodded and eventually replaced.
  • Eliminations occur immediately upon majority formation.
  • Be nice and respectful of your fellow players.

Spoiler: Common Rules
>
All site rules apply here.
>
No quoting any private mod communication, including your role PM, or contents of private topics. This includes referring or alluding to specific time stamps on any private communication. You can paraphrase.
>
If you have the ability to edit, please refrain from doing so.
>
Do not discuss this game outside game related threads while it is ongoing. This includes contacting players of the game via Private Messaging or other outside communication.
>
Do not discuss other ongoing games in this game thread unless the mechanics of that game allow such (I would appreciate it if you let me know in advance if this is the case as well).
>
When dealing with rules infractions or other problems, I will always seek the solution that is least invasive to the game state.
>
Please be respectful of all other players as well as myself.
>
No angle shooting. Play in the spirit of the game. I shouldn't need to clarify this further.

Spoiler: Gameplay Rules
>
Votes must be in the
bold tag
or use the VOTE: tag.
>
The day will end when a majority of players vote to eliminate a particular player. Discussion may continue until the moderator locks the thread.
>
If the deadline is reached before a majority forms, the day will default to no elimination.
>
Day 1 will last 10 real-time days at most. Future days will be 7 real-time days at most.
>
Nights will last 48 hours.
>
Night actions must be submitted via PM or, if applicable, inside a factional private topic.

Spoiler: Game Conduct Rules
>
My color is
#8E728E
. Don't use it, or any similar shade really.
>
Questions for me may be made either via PM or in the thread. If you ask a question in thread, please ensure you bold your question and begin with it with the tag "@mod" so I am more likely to notice it.
>
Please do not use provable randomness (such as the dice tag) in thread. You may SAY you used randomization, but not prove it.
>
Do not make use of external websites as part of the game. If it can't be embedded into a post on the forums, it's not allowed. This includes resources such as Google Documents. You may use such things for your own reference, but never in conjunction with other players not part of your own slot.
>
No ciphers, encryption, extremely small text, or other similar tactics.
>
Do not threaten to abandon the game as a response to in game actions. Doing so will result in an immediate force replace.
>
Do not attempt to coerce another player into abandoning the game. Doing so will result in an immediate force replace.
>
Do not threaten to report other players in order to attempt to influence their actions. If you believe someone is doing something worthy of a report, bring it to the attention of moderators.
>
If you notice an error in my moderating, you are free to point it out in the game thread. However, please also message me privately so that I notice and can amend the error as soon as possible.
>
PLEASE do not make reference to meta formed in other games still ongoing, no matter how discreet you attempt to be about it.
>
Do not make reference in game to any sort of moderator communication with the exception of game mechanics related communication.

Spoiler: Inactivity and V/LA (Vacation/Limited Access) Guidelines
>
You must post at least once every 36 hours or you will receive a prod.
>
If you do not post in the game within 24 hours of being prodded, I will begin seeking replacement.
>
If you receive more than three prods, I will immediately begin seeking replacement.
>
Please inform me
directly via PM
of any V/LA (Vacation / Limited Access). While on V/LA, I will be more lenient about prods.
>
If you have regular V/LA periods (such as being unavailable on weekends) please inform me ASAP and I will take this into account.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:43 am

Post by Nahdia »

Setup Information

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role.
The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: List of Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PM's
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that PLAYER NAME is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:43 am

Post by Nahdia »

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:56 am

Post by Nahdia »

Role PM's have been sent. Once 7/9 players have confirmed to me their role and alignment, the game will begin.

I will replace anyone who has not confirmed their role PM in 48 hours.

(expired on 2021-07-22 12:00:00)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:16 am

Post by Nahdia »

We have enough confirmations. Day 1 will now begin!

Vote Count 1.00

Now playing... The Mountain Goats

Not Voting (9):
Salsabil Faria, StrangeMatter, JamesTheNames, Leaven, EchoV, cowsloveSushirolls, ClarkBar, Dannflor, Ythan

Deadline is in
(expired on 2021-08-01 09:30:00)
, at which point we will default to no elimination.

With nine players alive, it takes
five
to reach majority.

Note:
Good luck, and have fun everyone!

-Zaphkael, 2020
JamesTheNames
JamesTheNames
Goon
JamesTheNames
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:26 am

Post by JamesTheNames »

VOTE: ClarkBar
Leaven
Leaven
Goon
Leaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:34 am

Post by Leaven »

hi there!
VOTE: Jamesthenames
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:40 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

Hello everyone.

VOTE: Dannflor
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

Anyways, what’s everyone’s favorite flavor of ice cream?
Leaven
Leaven
Goon
Leaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:56 am

Post by Leaven »

My go to lately has just been just taking low carb vanilla and mashing anything fun I can find into it. So obvious is oreos or chocolate chips, but branching out to other leftover Halloween candy like kitkat bars and snickers, whatever cookies are lying around like thin mints, or cereal like cornflakes, cocoa krispies.
JamesTheNames
JamesTheNames
Goon
JamesTheNames
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:58 am

Post by JamesTheNames »

In post 9, StrangeMatter wrote:Anyways, what’s everyone’s favorite flavor of ice cream?
Banana.
Random question: Is banana ice cream a thing in the states? I went to Arkansas a few years ago and never found any.
PS. Not banana + toffee or banana + _____. Just banana flavoured.
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:03 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

I would like to say certainly, but I don’t think it’s in every state.
Leaven
Leaven
Goon
Leaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:10 am

Post by Leaven »

I have not come across banana ice cream, so it's not common here, but there are plenty of homemade ice cream shops that make their own, so I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find it. Have you had banana pizza though?
JamesTheNames
JamesTheNames
Goon
JamesTheNames
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:19 am

Post by JamesTheNames »

Do not tell my Italian partner but I do not like pizza.
JamesTheNames
JamesTheNames
Goon
JamesTheNames
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:19 am

Post by JamesTheNames »

Just going to get the backlash to the comment out the way:
UNVOTE: ClarkBar
VOTE: JamesTheNames
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:32 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

I don’t think I have ever tried banana pizza.

Also, please don’t vote yourself. There are reasons to vote yourself but this isn’t one of them.
Leaven
Leaven
Goon
Leaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:52 am

Post by Leaven »

No rush and maybe I should just research myself, but interested in the reasons to self-vote.

UNVOTE: JamesTheNames
VOTE: Ythan

I guess it got me to unvote, so maybe that's one...
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:46 am

Post by ClarkBar »

VOTE: cowsloveSushirolls

I don't think cows loving sushi is super plausible.
JamesTheNames
JamesTheNames
Goon
JamesTheNames
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:50 am

Post by JamesTheNames »

In post 18, ClarkBar wrote:VOTE: cowsloveSushirolls

But bars made out of men called Clark?
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:52 am

Post by ClarkBar »

As a kid I was all about Rocky Road. These days anything vanilla with a little caramel is my go to. Ben & Jerry's "Americone Dream" is perfection.
In post 15, JamesTheNames wrote:Just going to get the backlash to the comment out the way
I have strangely never heard of Banana ice cream. Seems like an obvious flavor too. So is the backlash about this or you not liking pizza? I'm confused by the self-vote.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:52 am

Post by ClarkBar »

In post 19, JamesTheNames wrote:
In post 18, ClarkBar wrote:VOTE: cowsloveSushirolls

But bars made out of men called Clark?
My avatar backs up my story.
JamesTheNames
JamesTheNames
Goon
JamesTheNames
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:53 am

Post by JamesTheNames »

In post 20, ClarkBar wrote:As a kid I was all about Rocky Road. These days anything vanilla with a little caramel is my go to. Ben & Jerry's "Americone Dream" is perfection.
In post 15, JamesTheNames wrote:Just going to get the backlash to the comment out the way
I have strangely never heard of Banana ice cream. Seems like an obvious flavor too. So is the backlash about this or you not liking pizza? I'm confused by the self-vote.
The pizza comment unfortunately.
Leaven
Leaven
Goon
Leaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:03 am

Post by Leaven »

In post 21, ClarkBar wrote: My avatar backs up my story.
My avatar quacks up my story.
ClarkBar
ClarkBar
Goon
ClarkBar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:05 am

Post by ClarkBar »

In post 22, JamesTheNames wrote:The pizza comment unfortunately.
Sure, not liking pizza is an insane take, but there was no backlash. What is the value of the self-vote?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”