[CHALLENGE] August Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Post by Isis »

would noughts and crosses be a valid submission if it were submitted
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #35 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Post by Isis »

Ever Settle
4 Mafia

13 Town

Nightless.
Pre game, all players are placed randomly on a 4X4 board. Only the mafia are shown placements. There is one player to each square, except one square contains two mafia.
Pre game, each player is dealt three random cards. There is a possibility of duplication, both in any one player's deal and across the setup at large. The cards are NorthSouth Knight, EastWest Knight, Bishop 1, Bishop 2, Bishop 3, and Rook 1, Rook 2, Rook 3.
Day one begins with a standard compulsive town exile. The doubled up mafia player is moved to the square of the exiled player.
After the exile but before shuffle phase, the mafia guess cards that the townies are holding in their hands until they guess wrong. Each card they guess correctly, they steal and destroy.
The thread is locked for shuffle phase. The grid is revealed to all players, showing every player's position. During shuffle phase, each player may expend one of their cards and select a space it describes to attempt to move there. The NorthSouth Knight must move at least two spaces vertically and the EastWest Knight mustn't. Bishop and Rook cards must move the number of spaces described exactly.
Each move has a 75% chance to fail. The mafia learn in advance if they will fail. The moderator randomizes an order for all the movements to be processed. The order matters because if the target square is not vacant, the player on the target square is relocated to the square they came from.
After shuffle phase, the new results are shown, and the thread remains locked for joining phase. Each player may expend one card to send a marriage proposal to a particular space described by the card. All expenditures happen simultaneously with 100% success, and then all players receive PMs listing all their courtship offers at one time. They rank their preferences for courtship and submit to the mod.
The mod pairs all players according to their preferences, using NAR-style dependency where chains are formed and R1>B1>R2>B2>R3>B3>NSK>EWK where loops are formed and randomizing when all other methods of resolution fail. Unpaired players flip. Paired players become lovers and receive a PT.
Day 2, players vote to exile a lover pair. Skip Day 2 if eight players failed to pair.
Day 3, players make a special vote to exile a specific player. Their partner will ignore the lover ability for the exile, and will also gain Loved for the rest of the game.
Subsequent days have standard exiles (influenced by the lover ability) until all mafia are exiled or the mafia gain parity, counting Loved as a point towards parity as appropriate.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #37 (isolation #2) » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Post by Isis »

Not sure if sarcasm
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Post by Isis »

Ever Settle
4 Mafia

13 Town

Pre game, all players are placed randomly on a 4X4 continuum board. There is one player to each square, except one square contains two mafia.
When a player is exiled day 1, the mafia choose a player to move into their space. (compulsive exile)
During N1, there is no kill. Each player is randomly dealt two cards from among Rook1, Rook2, or Bishop1. The grid is revealed to all players, showing every player's position. Each player may expend one of their cards and select a space it precisely describes to attempt to move there.
Each move has a 75% chance to fail. When a player moves, the player in the targetted space is moved to where they came from.
During D2, players can expend a card to propose marriage to an unpaired player standing in the space precisely described. That player must accept or reject immediately in their next post and the card is expended either way. Upon acceptance, the two players become lovers and get a PT.
N2, all unpaired players die, and the nightkill isn't affected by the lover ability. There are no nights after N2.
Last edited by Isis on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #39 (isolation #4) » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Post by Isis »

That's as simple as I can get it. It's probably better.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #41 (isolation #5) » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Post by Isis »

I am fighting wordcount/complexity complaints, but the word "continuum" in "4X4 continuum board" was meant to indicate that the board is a continuum like Pacman where exiting on the right overflows to an entry on the left, etc.
As an example, a player in the top left corner with a rook 1 card could move one space down, one space right, or use the upward direction to invoke the continuum and land in the bottom left corner, or use the leftward direction to invoke the continuum and land in the top right corner.
This results in every card providing exactly the same number of potential squares to move to, it's always 4. It also means being in the center isn't very meaningful (which might be undesirable in a way, like the grid is more "meaningless", but I think there's still enough going on in the setup).
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #49 (isolation #6) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Post by Isis »

I deleted all the problem cards, I think 3 cards remaining is enough variety? Not sure what other card I could make up, describing knights gets wordy
reflections and rotations also seem wordy
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #50 (isolation #7) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Post by Isis »

I feel like S_S is probably a RA irl
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #51 (isolation #8) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Post by Isis »

Dormitory mafia doesn't seem like it needs an RA to be interesting
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #68 (isolation #9) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:09 am

Post by Isis »

I mean people do run 70% town EV setups and I hate them and want them to stahp
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #70 (isolation #10) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Post by Isis »

Do you even want to roleblock someone other than the RA? If you spy and get "no result", the info that mafia is in an adjacent room seems better than the info you were trying to get.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #74 (isolation #11) » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Post by Isis »

I'll VOTE: S_S
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #81 (isolation #12) » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 am

Post by Isis »

Yeah that's my ballot
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #84 (isolation #13) » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:00 am

Post by Isis »

Dung beetle and the castle setup are both better tho
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”