Kingmaker

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Kingmaker

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:59 pm

Post by BrianMcQueso »

I want to run a Kingmaker game, but I'm not sure where it falls. Is this a Mini Regular, Mini Themed, Free Market, or Mish-Mash style idea?

http://www.princeton.edu/~mafia/vgp15.htm

(The Kingmaker theory was explained to me in an early Mafia game I played in where there was a confirmed innocent, townie, and mafia left in the endgame. The cop had essentially performed the role of Kingmaker when confirming one person innocent, allowing that person to determine the final lynch. The idea's been stuck in the back of my head ever since.)

Also, has this been done before on MS, or somewhere over on the GL? I'd like to take a look at the old games for curiosity/inspiration's sake.
"Only a fool quotes himself." -BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:46 pm

Post by BrianMcQueso »

Me wrote:Is this a Mini Regular, Mini Themed, Free Market, or Mish-Mash style idea?
^^This is my biggest concern with starting up a Kingmaker game.
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Post Post #7 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:17 pm

Post by BrianMcQueso »

Petroleum Jelly wrote:Wow, that can have some bad consequences: if Scum is chosen to be King/Queen, they can simply lynch a claimed cop or doc on the spot, then get their nightkilling in. I agree with Mr. Flay that if the Kingmaker dies, just let the game fall back into mob majority. Also, for the purpose of the game, it would probably be easiest to leave out roleblockers (as you can't learn anything from the game if the Kingmaker is continuously role-blocked) or copiers (since you won't want two kings/queens).
If a King immediately lynches the claimed cop or doctor, it's like sticking a giant "Lynch Me" sign on their butt for the next day. I doubt scum would reveal themselves so easily. That's what nightkills are for!
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Post Post #9 (isolation #3) » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:34 am

Post by BrianMcQueso »

petroleum jelly wrote:unless you choose to give them vote counts.
I do. The town doesn't have to sit idly by while someone makes their decisions for them; part of the fun is trying to convince the King to see things your way. It shifts the discussion's focus from trying to persuade the entire town to trying to persuade one person. It adds a different dynamic; someone who tried to get you lynched yesterday might be begging for your mercy the next.
PJ, cont. wrote:Yes, it's a sacrifice, but the fact that the Kingmaker will still have to choose a new King/Queen for the next day adds a twist, in that they may choose another scum who may or may not lynch their partner.
Well, if I quickly lynch our claimed cop, and my successor doesn't lynch me, then how many scum are we going to reveal to the town before the Kingmaker finally crowns a pro-town King who starts to clean up the mess? The town outnumbers the Mafia, of course, and the Mafia would only want to make one-for-one trades under dire circumstances.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”