New Idea to Alieviate Modding Backups

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

New Idea to Alieviate Modding Backups

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Post by Oman »

The current idea is that the first game for a new mod must be a mini normal. And I can respect the reasons for such, however, we have a backlog of 4 months+ based on current game rates (I suppose they're increasing, and a patented Flay Graph would prove it :wink:).

My suggestion is this: Allow the new mod to mod as their first, a theme mini or a normal mini.

Conditional: The theme setup must be approved by a qualified mod/nomiated player/someone with X games modded/Kelly+excel.

EDIT: Conditional: Back-up mod.

I understand many people will be wary of cutting newbie mods lose on mini themes, but with an approved setup, the only mistake will be horrible, horrible flavour (with a "u").

EDIT: Would the fact that the mini theme was being run by a newbie affect your choice to sign up?

Furthermore: Discuss!
Last edited by Oman on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:24 am

Post by Oman »

Erg0 wrote:Maybe if the experience requirement was pushed out to six months?
Whoa, thats not the issue here. The problem isn't (to me) too many newbies for the games, its not enough games for the newbies.

The experience requirement of three months has proven to be sufficent. And I think pushing it back is unneccessary.
Erg0 wrote:I'd be curious how many of these mods go on to moderate more games after their first mini normal.
Me too [/ponder]

Also, the open queue is shorter, and the games feature more players too.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 am

Post by Oman »

Erg0 wrote:is the same as waiting six months to join the queue and one month to get a game.
Thats not going to happen. We'll just have people clogged after being here for six months rather than 3. There'll still be the backlog, just earlier join-dates.
Erg0 wrote:To me, the basic problem is that we have too many mods and not enough players. We need to either increase the supply of players or decrease the supply of mods. Reducing the number of mods is the easier option by far.
I think opening up the mini theme queue would increase the ammount of players more easily than removing mods.

You're talking about reducing supply of mods by setting back join dates, I doubt that will work. I am talking about increasing demand by increasing games mod-able.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #6 (isolation #3) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:58 am

Post by Oman »

Erg0 wrote:Part of the problem is that the mini normal queue is competing with the mini theme queue for players, whereas people can sign up for as many open games as they like. I don't think the throughput in the open game queue is anywhere near as high as the mini normal queue, though.
This point is extreemly valid, and is one that sits in my mind as one possibe...thing (i started with a word to go there).
Erg0 wrote:I suspect that it has something to do with potentially worse consequences if they flake on their game.
Thats why in my first post I had the "approved setup" clause, many will not flake on a game they've put the hard yards in to create.

I've edited it to include a required Back-up mod, as that is crucial.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #8 (isolation #4) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 am

Post by Oman »

Personally, No it wouldn't
IF
it was reviewed. I'd be worried about the setup if it was not reviewed and approved, but otherwise I'd be fine with it (Just as I'm happy being in a newbie's mini normal). I've had mods flake on me that have been around for years, and mods create setups that were poor that have been around for years.

I do however find that questions very interesting, adding to OP.

Also, would it affect you erg0?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #10 (isolation #5) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:20 am

Post by Oman »

Erg0 wrote: to the extent that I won't sign up for a mini theme unless I'm fairly sure that the mod either knows what they're doing or
has had the game reviewed by someone who does.
Word. :lol:
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #12 (isolation #6) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:40 am

Post by Oman »

Do you mind if we discuss that somewhere else, I really want to hear from either some really experienced or some power-that-be on why this is so and what they think of my plan.

Though I do want to have that discussion too :D
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #14 (isolation #7) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:10 am

Post by Oman »

I'm gonna give an example which will probably give an insight into why I thought about this in the first place:

I created a new setup based on a new game mechanic, so far I've had it reviewed by Simmy and Mole (simmy got V1.1 Mole got V2.1 and V2.2) and I've ironed out the bugs, I intend to get it looked at 2-3 more times before I mod it cause I want it to be good.

Now with a setup that well reviewed, with a backup mod, and my dedication to the game, I don't see why, as a newbie, I should be excluded from being able to mod this for the next 6 months (including a 4 month wait) when I've done the hard yards.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #16 (isolation #8) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:53 am

Post by Oman »

No my argument is about a 4 month wait to mod, which is rediculous considering the expansivness of our community.

I understand your point, and patience is a saintly virtue, it simply seems to me like a problem that has a solution, it just needs to be implemented. Also, I can't speak for a year ago.

I doubt the mini theme list will grow so much as I am proposing only those with reviewed setups and back-up mods should be allowed to /in to mod and a lot of people wont even go to THAT trouble.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #19 (isolation #9) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:27 am

Post by Oman »

Well perhaps by a stamp of approval clause.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #37 (isolation #10) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Post by Oman »

Nah, Scumchat should not be used to train about Mafiascum, they're way too different. Scumchat is where you try out some stupid idea where everyone is an SK or something before you put it to a theme, not where you try to mod.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #40 (isolation #11) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Post by Oman »

me too IH

More games, same time.