Misrepresentation in Media

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
CommKnight
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Misrepresentation in Media

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 7:07 am

Post by CommKnight »

How far is too far? For anyone who knows any history of Sikhs vs Muslims, you'll know the following pictures are rather distasteful for a media source to misrepresent them. It also sells into stereotype of "Oh, he has a turban and a beard, he must therefore be a muslim."

The original post.
Spoiler:

Cosmopolitan writer asking for permission to use the image and the fella being nice enough to allow them to use with, or without* credit.
Spoiler:

Cosmopolitan using the image without* credit so far as to call him a muslim.
Spoiler:

I have university pals who are muslim and some that are sikh. This is a very bad mix up to do between the two entirely different cultures. Heck, they have the original image and post which they asked someone to use and still got the facts wrong. Yet there are millions of people reading this stuff thinking it's the full facts. So how far is too far when it comes to misrepresenting people and events in the media? What happened in Manchester was horrible. But then to take another culture's kindness of helping out and saying they are one and the same as another who they've had a long history of conflict with? I think media has a responsibility to be accurate or face being labelled as fake media.
Modded
Open 691 (Mafia Win)
Open 700 (Town Win)
Mini 1976 - Filled (Currently setting up)
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 10:53 am

Post by pisskop »

what a gal.
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

i mean it's obviously just a mistake
this kind of thing happens all the time
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Post by Davsto »

In post 2, Psyche wrote:i mean it's obviously just a mistake
this kind of thing happens all the time
Is this just your joking sarcasm again?
The literal tweet that writer replies to says that he's a Sikh
Either it was intentional or it was an error requiring gross ignorance, and either way it's pretty unacceptable.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

These things get filtered through a bureaucracy. Likely that the person behind the headline is different from the one behind the original story (the actual body of the article has no such error). If you look the tweet or the story up now you'll see that they fixed things pretty promptly.
CommKnight
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Post by CommKnight »

The problem is, the mistake was made in the first place (and if it wasn't for the viewers who knew how to find the original source and rip on Cosmopolitan, it likely would have never been fixed). You see, media wants to create their own narrative regardless of facts. If the writer could mess something like this up where they had the original tweet and story handed to them, what else do they make a "mistake" on?

The problem comes back to the ethics of journalism. Writing articles for millions without even doing their research properly leads to false information being spread. It happens all the time and not just with this one case. MSM has lost its' touch with real journalism and due to the little things like this, makes one hope that people constantly question the legitimacy of all their content.

For the record, this might seem like a small mistake, but if the idea that they are trying to push a narrative is to be believed. This is a major fuck up in favour of that narrative over the fact.
Modded
Open 691 (Mafia Win)
Open 700 (Town Win)
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Post by Psyche »

you think it's just "MSM" that does that?
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

In post 4, Psyche wrote:These things get filtered through a bureaucracy. Likely that the person behind the headline is different from the one behind the original story (the actual body of the article has no such error). If you look the tweet or the story up now you'll see that they fixed things pretty promptly.
It got filtered in a way that's convinently going to get a lot of echo chamber clicks.

If you don't want to blame the journalist, fine. Somebody still made an egregious fuck up on behalf of the company they worked for.

Expecting higher levels of journalistic integrity when convincing people to distrust the media is becoming an extremely popular tactic in politics isn't just reasonable, it's a requirement.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 4:36 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Save the "it's a mistake" bullshit for when someone gets your order wrong at Burger King
CommKnight
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 am

Post by CommKnight »

This goes all the way back to GamerGate and similar movements. People want trustworthy sources that are not shilling themselves for monetary gain.

I mean hell. You look at CNN. Use to be a decent news company. Fast forward to Trump and the rise of SJWism and they throw integrity out of the window to push their narrative. People wonder why newspapers and what not are a drying up business. When you report false information and get called out on it, you need to take accountability for your actions.

Journalism was suppose to be a professional environment. But I don't think it is any longer. Not when the narrative replaces integrity of the story. I've caught even right-wing shills producing shit for their followers to eat up. Doesn't matter what side you support or your own personal beliefs. The entire ethics of journalism is called into question.
Modded
Open 691 (Mafia Win)
Open 700 (Town Win)
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:07 am

Post by SleepyKrew »

even right-wingers :o
To be clear: quack
Gorkington
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:10 am

Post by Gorkington »

down with justin trudeau.
trash
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:36 am

Post by Psyche »

such a melodramatic way to think and live
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Clickbait isn't a melodramatic issue but ok
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:46 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Also journalistic integrity always has and always will be an ongoing fight.

If you're going to say CNN/Fox News aren't trustworthy, it's not because their CEO's woke up one day and decided ethics didn't matter anymore. It's an inevitable consequence of any corporation getting to such a large size.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:55 am

Post by Psyche »

posts in this thread read like teenage atheists grandstanding wherever they can about about how god is dead and everything is permitted
you've learned that news articles are often slanted or wrong and shouldn't be taken at face value congratulations
but it's not a new phenomenon and it's not a new insight this has been a well-known phenomenon since before the 20th century
what's changed isn't the media but rather people's awareness of something obvious

next you'll tell me that sometimes the government deliberately deceives its people!
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:58 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

The problem isn't that the media is wrong. It's that people buy it.
CommKnight
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:00 am

Post by CommKnight »

In post 13, Flubbernugget wrote:Clickbait isn't a melodramatic issue but ok
Stop Clickbait Facebook Page

Seriously. Then you get sites that want you to turn ad-blocker off so they can siphon ad money from your clicks. Meanwhile, put your computer at risk of infection. I can say, that since using multiple ad-blockers to keep adware away. I've not once had a malware infection on my computer (Seriously, my anti-viruses give me a green light after every daily check). You have to combine that with common sense to not click on bit.#### links to malware infested sites. But for the most part, most malware you ever get on your computer is delivered by the ads these shitty sites allow to be put on their sites.
Modded
Open 691 (Mafia Win)
Open 700 (Town Win)
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:01 am

Post by Psyche »

what's improper here though is people's readiness to attribute this failing to only a portion of the media — the MSM, or left-leaning publications, and so on — and using totally reasonable concerns about the media to selectively justify preference for inferior sources with even weaker records on journalistic reliability

for example, for all of CNN's flaws, only a handful of other news sources do its job more reliably. It would be ridiculous to discount CNN in favor of, say, The Blaze.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:02 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 16, Flubbernugget wrote:The problem isn't that the media is wrong. It's that people buy it.
i'd say it's both?
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:18 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I don't understand why you're being so facetious about someone pointing out the former then.

But either way if people demand better journalism the crap dies out on its own.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:21 am

Post by Psyche »

i think there's an agenda underlying this "new" push for so-called integrity in journalism, and lots of hyperbole too

if you look at how people are actually consuming, they aren't really demanding better journalism these days
they're demanding journalism that fits their preferred slant
the pattern these days isn't higher standards but greater polarization
Last edited by Psyche on Sat May 27, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:24 am

Post by Psyche »

The article doesn't do this. I doubt you've even read it.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Yeah I deleted the post you're commenting on because it's not really what I was trying to say.
CommKnight
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 6:33 am

Post by CommKnight »

Over the past 3 years, I've watched and even am one of the people of many creeds who are pushed more toward the right-wing due to the disgusting way the left-wing treat people who even remotely oppose their narrative. For example, one of my buddies in the states is sorta like me, he would say he's a classical liberal/current libertarian. From the right, you got the religious fanatics who want to push the word of "God" onto people. Then you got the ones on the left calling people coons, uncle toms and what not for not voting/believing/supporting in their narrative. Basically the "You don't know what's best for you" crowd.

You cannot say you stand for individual freedom and the right for all to express themselves and then target people who disagree with you. I mean everyone knows the craziness on the right-wing. Myself and others have ripped on them for years for doing the shit they do. But now you have such an extreme force from the left pushing people toward the right side. While some of us try to remain libertarian/classical liberal.

But that's just the politics side of things. People who aren't blindly following CNN, Fox, Huffle Puff, The Rebel, etc. Want reliable news sources. But that's few and far between. You have to dig through even news sources you like for the truth.

The problem with these fake news (on both sides) continuing their poor journalism is you begin costing lives. Look at white nationalists. Look at BLM. Look at the Black Bloc tactics (Black Bloc is usually done by anarchists who really don't give a shit for people's safety). All of them are blindly following these fake news sources and the results are real danger for anyone who disagrees with their extremist behaviour. It's not something you should shrug off when it has real world consequences.
Modded
Open 691 (Mafia Win)
Open 700 (Town Win)

Return to “General Discussion”