Mafia Scum
OnTheMark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Post by OnTheMark »

In post 444, Iconeum wrote:
In post 432, Maid Cafe wrote:
In post 260, Skybird wrote:Right now, I feel like either Maid Cafe or OTM is scum, I'm not sure which one though leaning towards Maid Cafe. I didn't like and from them.

Tibor and Lumia ping town to me. That is a gut read.

Pre-edit: Thanks Phosphophyllite
worst post in the game
Really want to talk about this one! This is the one that makes me townread Skybird.

He get's his opinion in on the 1v1 between Maid and OTM, takes a stance, and backs it with a reasoning.

I don't see it as a terrible post at all.
It's what makes me scumread Sky.

Ironically this response makes me nullread you.
OnTheMark
OnTheMark
Mafia Scum
OnTheMark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Post by OnTheMark »

@Bronya probably done for tonight with the general thoughts, but I'll pick it up tomorrow probably at some point. If you don't need anything I'm just gonna crash for the night?
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

In post 449, OnTheMark wrote:A person with a track record of being 100% right during that game, gets NK'd, flips town, should be given a lot more weight, regardless of their prior track history.
But a counterargument with that would be the gambler's fallacy: Just because a random player has 2 correct scumreads does not mean that he has the 3rd one correct; what if it's just luck? If a player who always uses an RNG to perform scumhunting somehow had 100% correct reads in a game, would you still trust his reads even after they're dead? With his track record, it'd be pretty easy to tell, but what if we're following your ideal of not using prior track records to judge a player? What then?
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

Okay, sure, have a good rest. It was pretty fun talking to you.
OnTheMark
OnTheMark
Mafia Scum
OnTheMark
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Post by OnTheMark »

In post 452, Bronya Zaychik wrote:
In post 449, OnTheMark wrote:A person with a track record of being 100% right during that game, gets NK'd, flips town, should be given a lot more weight, regardless of their prior track history.
But a counterargument with that would be the gambler's fallacy: Just because a random player has 2 correct scumreads does not mean that he has the 3rd one correct; what if it's just luck? If a player who always uses an RNG to perform scumhunting somehow had 100% correct reads in a game, would you still trust his reads even after they're dead? With his track record, it'd be pretty easy to tell, but what if we're following your ideal of not using prior track records to judge a player? What then?
It doesn't necessarily mean that the player is correct. However, gambler's fallacy in this case doesn't apply.

Mafia is not a game of luck, it's a game of skill. If mafia was a game of luck it would apply.

However since mafia is a game of skill and logic, the scientific theory applies. Meaning that you have a hypothesis:
Player X (who was NK'd) had good reads in this game.In fact, Player X hasn't been wrong yet. Until there is evidence that is presented to counter them being wrong, they should be listened to. The evidence has been presented that they are right. Evidence therefore needs to be presented that they are wrong before they quit being listened to.

The track records, are a separate matter. In general Player X could be good or atrocious. That's not relevant to this game. However if they are atrocious and are doing the same atrocious things then it WOULD be relevant. However, a track record ALONE is not enough. It has to be combined with a pattern of some evidence in this game. What the problem is that someone goes "Player X has a 75% win rate as town" therefore their reads are right and should be listened to. And that is the real gambler's fallacy as it's not based on any evidence in game.
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

In post 454, OnTheMark wrote:
In post 452, Bronya Zaychik wrote:
It doesn't necessarily mean that the player is correct. However, gambler's fallacy in this case doesn't apply.

Mafia is not a game of luck, it's a game of skill. If mafia was a game of luck it would apply.

However since mafia is a game of skill and logic, the scientific theory applies. Meaning that you have a hypothesis:
Player X (who was NK'd) had good reads in this game.In fact, Player X hasn't been wrong yet. Until there is evidence that is presented to counter them being wrong, they should be listened to. The evidence has been presented that they are right. Evidence therefore needs to be presented that they are wrong before they quit being listened to.

The track records, are a separate matter. In general Player X could be good or atrocious. That's not relevant to this game. However if they are atrocious and are doing the same atrocious things then it WOULD be relevant. However, a track record ALONE is not enough. It has to be combined with a pattern of some evidence in this game. What the problem is that someone goes "Player X has a 75% win rate as town" therefore their reads are right and should be listened to. And that is the real gambler's fallacy as it's not based on any evidence in game.
Take a look again. Because of the very fact that mafia is a game of skill, all the more should track records apply. It's the same reasoning why you'd ask the class's Math genius for help on your math homework instead of the perennial failures: the Math genius has a track record of actually being good in a skill-based subject of expertise, and is therefore more trusted to be correct in a situation where the answers are unknown.

If Player X was an entirely anonymous and random player with no track record, then, sure, the only thing that we can go off to judge his level of skill is purely by his performance in this one game. However, if he is a known jester with a track record of reads that are totally off the mark (pun not intended), then it would be foolish to listen to his reads regardless of his performance in any game, because there is concrete data that Player X is no more accurate than coinflips. There are consequences to making mistakes in this game; it isn't a science experiment (well, usually... I guess?) where we can make mistakes and move on -- there is an active penalty for getting "Evidence to prove them wrong". And, this brings to light another problem: What if Player X is Correct, Correct, Wrong, Correct on his reads? His final correct scumread would quit being listened to, just because he was Wrong once. Worse, Player X goes Wrong, Correct, Correct, Correct.

Your ideals presented effectively prioritize the order of correct reads instead of general accuracy, which would be a flaw that would be corrected if players take into account track records, which, appears to be the current system, so I'm happy with that. The only issue that I may see being presented is a misinterpretation of the track records, for example Player Y is overrated, and is actually worse at the game than advertised, but that's the fault of the enactment in that current situation rather than the system itself. So, I cannot agree with you here.
Shining Dreamers
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Post by Shining Dreamers »

Heigh ho.
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

~Kiana
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

In post 454, OnTheMark wrote:Player X (who was NK'd) had good reads in this game.
I think a more reasonable situation to your conundrum is the fact that Player X was NK'd due to the exact reason that his reads were correct. It is the cause, not symptomatic. If Player X was Nightkilled because his reads are all Correct, then yes, it would be ideal for the rest of the players to follow the rest of Player X's reads, because that was the reason why he was killed in the first place.

But, if Player X is a known troll, he should never be listened to, and he will probably never be nightkilled regardless of his performance in any game, simply because his presence in the game is a liability and will likely help scum advance their wincon. Regardless of his performance in the game, it is evident from past data that his current accuracy in the current game is attributed to luck and nothing more; reducing the argument of the accuracy of his future reads to be nothing more than the gambler's fallacy itself.

I hope I solved that dissonance for you.
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

EBWOP:

I think a more reasonable
solution*
to your conundrum is the fact that Player X was NK'd due to the exact reason that his reads were correct. It is the cause, not symptomatic. If Player X was Nightkilled because his reads are all Correct, then yes, it would be ideal for the rest of the players to follow the rest of Player X's reads, because that was the reason why he was killed in the first place.

But, if Player X is a known troll, he should never be listened to, and he will probably never be nightkilled regardless of his performance in any game, simply because his presence in the game is a liability and will likely help scum advance their wincon. Regardless of his performance in the game, it is evident from past data that his current accuracy in the current game is attributed to luck and nothing more; reducing the argument of the accuracy of his future reads to be nothing more than the gambler's fallacy itself.

I hope I solved that dissonance for you.
Shining Dreamers
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Spoiler: me
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

In post 460, Shining Dreamers wrote:
Who are you, and are you trying to beleaguer the glorious Chara avatar?

~kiana
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Post by Iconeum »

In post 269, Chara wrote:
In post 262, Iconeum wrote:Skybird, Creature, RR, Shinding D townread.

Maid Café should respond to . I love how she bashes OTM for not responding, yet doesn't answer herself.

Maid scumreading right now. Maybe lyncher - lynchee with OTM. That would be hilarious
why is Maki supposed to answer a question directed at beeboy?

unrelated to the above: i'm scumreading this.
The question is directed at Maki, it's related to the question at beeboy. Maid gives crap to OTM for not responding, but fails to respond herself.
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
Shining Dreamers
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 pm

In post 461, Bronya Zaychik wrote:

~kiana
Bronya Zaychik
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Bronya Zaychik
Goon
Goon

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Post by Bronya Zaychik »

In post 463, Shining Dreamers wrote:

~kiana
Be warned heretic, that if you make any attempt at blaspheming the holy Chara or her avatar, you will be in for a lot of pain.

Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Post by Iconeum »

Chara:

Spoiler:
In post 113, Chara wrote:hey, let's everybody all claim how they get mana! that's a great idea.
In post 144, Chara wrote:Venmar: neither. Varsoon has an established meta of punishing claims, is what i'm saying.
In post 264, Chara wrote:
In post 263, Taly wrote:To my understanding, I have a very inconsistent way of acquiring mana. But primarily, two ways:

1) Not using my Planeswalker ability

2) I target someone with my Planeswalker ability. For 2 phases, I gain Mana the same way they would, and I gain their abilities. I can only do this once per dayphase.

I'm literally a temporary copy-cat.
i was......... kidding, Taly. did you miss my other posts on why claiming is anti-town?
In post 267, Chara wrote:it informs scum. it would be fine to claim later and confusion would easily be avoided that way.
anyway, it doesn't matter now.

this is my last, desperate call into an uncaring universe: please stop claiming, everyone.
In post 387, Chara wrote:...right. i knew that. because i received one. sorry about that.

also, i counterclaim Venmar's mana-farming method. wagon me instead.

It's hard to sort this slot for me because I really like the anti-claiming effort that it's pushing, but at the same time claims and 'counterclaims' a mana gaining method...

We'll see what happens.
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
Shining Dreamers
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm

In post 464, Bronya Zaychik wrote:
In post 463, Shining Dreamers wrote:

~kiana
Be warned heretic, that if you make any attempt at blaspheming the holy Chara or her avatar, you will be in for a lot of pain.

T'is not my fault if I like Phosphophyllite.
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Post by Iconeum »

OTM townread because of reasons. Overal questioning and providing reads, liking the interactions
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
Shining Dreamers
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Shining Dreamers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Anyway, I got told to act like me, so this is what you get.
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Post by Iconeum »

hi

have anything to share with us?
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Post by Iconeum »

In post 365, Micc wrote:VOTE: Taly
I think this is a good place to start. I don't know how you get a role like the one he claimed and don't immediately think "hey I can use this to confirm other people's abilities when they claim them" as town. Like sure everyone's probably got access to reasonably powerful ability, but waiting for someone to get run up to L-1 and claim and then copying their ability to compare it to the claim seems like good value.

For the record I disagree with any theory argument that leads to claims from players not on L-1. Props to Chara for expressing importance of not being stupid.
How do you feel about the follow-up provided by Taly, after being questioned by Chara about this? That was also posted before you made this post, did you read it and ignored it, or missed it?
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
Skybird
Skybird
Mafia Scum
Skybird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Post by Skybird »

In post 385, Chara wrote:Skybird: in what way is updating a signature for that request AI, at all?
It was a nice thing to do. I like it when people are nice. Is it really AI? No. That's why my read there is a gut one.

Dunnstal - I don't like your entry into the game. There are plenty of things to comment on and all you say is "Hi"?
GTKA Skybird!

AFK between 7am and 7pm central time due to work
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Post by Chara »

Phos being Phos is unrelated to me being Phos. i don't see a problem.
Kiana: it/its or they/them, please, especially if what you're doing is defending my honour. :>

thanks for the answer, Sky.

Iconeum: in what way did you indicate that the question was for Maki? you're quoting beeboy and you used "you". i also just think that pointing out an instance of hypocrisy and calling it scumhunting is lazy.

and my Venmar counterclaim was a joke.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am

Post by Iconeum »

In post 472, Chara wrote: Iconeum: in what way did you indicate that the question was for Maki? you're quoting beeboy and you used "you". i also just think that pointing out an instance of hypocrisy and calling it scumhunting is lazy.
Look, I really wanna explain anything thrown at me, but I don't see it. I don't think I quoted beeboy anywhere?
I refered to a question asked by Shining D directed at Maid in .

At that time, Maid was giving shit to OTM for not responding and I'm holding Maid to the standards she's setting. I'm actually interested in the actual answer she hasn't provided yet.
What is more lazy here, ignoring the fact she's ignoring questions or calling it out?
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
Chara
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Chara
it/its
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: it/its

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am

Post by Chara »

i'm saying that beeboy hasn't posted since , so he hasn't ignored anything.
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on her eye. If she looks into a laser, she will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”