Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 613, Something_Smart wrote:Thought his bit about having too many townreads (--) seemed very genuine.
also I don't follow you here at all

it's so easy to say "I have too many townreads" as scum. And if you're scum, you often have too many townreads, because you know who is town, they look townier to you, and you feel more pressure to townread them. Sometimes scum wind up townreading too many players and become POE suspects when they run out of plausible/believable mislynches to push. Like, almost by definition scum are more likely to have too many townreads than town.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 641, Aster wrote:
BuJaber has declared himself V/LA until April 1st through his user profile.
also, just as a heads up, this is basically up until deadline

so we aren't going to get much more content from BuJaber today
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:47 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

I probably won't be able to make a real post today. Going to the Yankees game.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:36 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 649, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 632, Something_Smart wrote:(And by the way GL, Bu was the counterwagon to verydark, not the other way around.)
what is the relevant difference? There was a solid few days where both were substantial wagons and people chose to be on one or the other. Then the verydark wagon dissipated and mostly spread elsewhere, why does that necessitate another counterwagon? What's gained from that?

I'm townreading everyone voting BuJaber in some form or another. It's a Good Wagon
Relevant difference is, people saw the verydark wagon and chose not to join it, and instead created the BuJaber wagon. The BuJaber wagon was created because people did not want to continue pursuing the verydark wagon.
There has been no wagon that has arisen because people don't want to continue pursuing the BuJaber wagon; but I feel that way, and therefore I would like one.
In post 650, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 613, Something_Smart wrote:Thought his bit about having too many townreads (--) seemed very genuine.

it's so easy to say "I have too many townreads" as scum. And if you're scum, you often have too many townreads, because you know who is town, they look townier to you, and you feel more pressure to townread them. Sometimes scum wind up townreading too many players and become POE suspects when they run out of plausible/believable mislynches to push. Like, almost by definition scum are more likely to have too many townreads than town.
Easy to do as scum != scum are likely to do it.

Scum like to keep their options open. And I don't really think that people look townier when you're scum, because you're not really in the mindset of trying to identify scum but rather trying to find things that you can plausibly sell as scum. It takes extreme introspective and metacognitive abilities to replicate exactly how you would read people if you were town, so most likely scum are not going off how people actually seem to them but rather they are going off of what they deem strategically good and also believable.

There's also some anecdotal evidence, in that I have had this problem before as town. And the fact that he's trying to solve it means that he recognizes that it is, in fact, a problem.
Aster
Aster
Goon
Aster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 am

Post by Aster »

Prodding Kop.
Aster
Aster
Goon
Aster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 am

Post by Aster »

Vote Count 1.13

(Identical to 1.12, but now with Kop's unvote finally fixed.)

VoteeVoters
BuJaber (5)
GuiltyLion (), Mathdino (), popsofctown (), Gamma Emerald (), brassherald ()
verydark (2)
Kmd4390 (), BuJaber ()
brassherald (1)
Something_Smart ()
Myloninja13 (1)
davesaz ()
popsofctown (1)
Lil Uzi Vert ()

Not voting:
Kop, Myloninja13, verydark

With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch.
Last edited by Aster on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I haven't been feeling this game too much and want to try to recalibrate on it since it's mostly just me
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 644, Myloninja13 wrote:I exist somehow.

To LUV, I would consider replacing if I wouldn't get blacklisted from other games from that. I'll just make sure I don't go in any future big games.

To Kmd, The only people I'd give light scum reads to is BuJaber and dave, both for awkward dialogue.
Empty threats. You won’t get blacklisted.

Can you talk about Dave a bit? What exchange(s) were awkward?
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Post by davesaz »

I'd be interested to hear that too. :)
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 647, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 645, Mathdino wrote:thing is i'm also townreading agent sparkles's slot
why?
In post 152, Agent Sparkles wrote:Alright here we go

[snip]

Would like to see a follow-up on this, even if it's late. Although I wasn't swayed by pop's post either, the lack of any obvious thought in this vote is off-putting.

GL's naked wagon vote in looks slightly scummy/opportunistic with the way it came out of the blue, the main difference from the others being the serious tone in it (most of the others are obviously messing around0).

My early impression of pop is that he's chasing what's almost a non-point with Gamma but not necessarily scum for it. The whole mindset about masons is obviously bad and anti-town, but I'm actually kind of leaning green with his follow-up on it. Openly acknowledges the cost of saying too much, but still doesn't back down or make a concession despite the backlash. And really, I just don't see the scum motivation behind it. It could come just as easily from town.
In post 158, Agent Sparkles wrote:Okay, first strong read.

Verydark played the newbie and frustration cards
way
too hard when he came back and it's not believable.

[snip]

You'd most newer players to get frustrated at being wagoned, but this kind of reaction from his first 20 minutes in the spotlight...? Everything I bolded on here looks like either forcing as much frustration as possible (I especially cringed at the "chill out, good grief") or cheaply guilt-tripping everyone on his wagon. Then this happens:

[snip]

....he just selfvotes and resigns himself to the lynch before most of us can even respond. 95% of the time I've seen an emotional self-vote like this it's been completely manufactured and a clumsy attempt to gain towncred, because there's just no reason for town to actually do this. It also makes it harder to believe his later claim that he thought he was in immediate danger of a scum hammer (which no reasonable scum would do, but that's another discussion).

Reading ahead, some of this stuff has already been pretty well explained by other people. I would try to interact with the last couple of pages like I'd planned, but it's super late and I've already had to force myself to read and understand all of it. I'll be back in the morning.

General thoughts: Consider my vote on verydark. I won't officially put it there until I know for sure how many votes he has. I also have a considerably weaker scumlean on Sando and slight townlean on GL.
this kind of complex reasoning is difficult to fake by scum

these posts are overflowing with nuance

and not "oh i don't know what i think of anything" nuance

it actually ends up settling on some forceful points
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Post by Mathdino »

if i had to start cutting into my townreads, pops would be the place to start

where i'm at:

Town: {brassheraldslot, Smart, davesaz}
Probtown: {LUV/NSGslot, Kmd, Mylo}

To sort:
GL - probably sortable by how wrong he ends up being
pops - I haven't reevaluated this read since like page 2
Gamma - is being Gamma

Lynchable:
BuJaber - solid arguments, we kinda just need a flip at this point
verydark - would be pretty sad if this lived to endgame and was scum
Kop - my first choice for a policy lurkerlynch since Mylo is clearly town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 653, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 649, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 632, Something_Smart wrote:(And by the way GL, Bu was the counterwagon to verydark, not the other way around.)
what is the relevant difference? There was a solid few days where both were substantial wagons and people chose to be on one or the other. Then the verydark wagon dissipated and mostly spread elsewhere, why does that necessitate another counterwagon? What's gained from that?

I'm townreading everyone voting BuJaber in some form or another. It's a Good Wagon
Relevant difference is, people saw the verydark wagon and chose not to join it, and instead created the BuJaber wagon. The BuJaber wagon was created because people did not want to continue pursuing the verydark wagon.
There has been no wagon that has arisen because people don't want to continue pursuing the BuJaber wagon; but I feel that way, and therefore I would like one.
In post 650, GuiltyLion wrote:

Easy to do as scum != scum are likely to do it.

Scum like to keep their options open. And I don't really think that people look townier when you're scum, because you're not really in the mindset of trying to identify scum but rather trying to find things that you can plausibly sell as scum. It takes extreme introspective and metacognitive abilities to replicate exactly how you would read people if you were town, so most likely scum are not going off how people actually seem to them but rather they are going off of what they deem strategically good and also believable.

There's also some anecdotal evidence, in that I have had this problem before as town. And the fact that he's trying to solve it means that he recognizes that it is, in fact, a problem.
if the challenge as scum is to generate fake scumreads... what do you think happens when you fail to meet the challenge? You end up saying, I have lots of townreads.

This day is going on too long. At this point people are getting bored and just explaining who the scum should and shouldn't NK so that we don't get any PoE relief on all these middle ground slots in this game.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 653, Something_Smart wrote: Relevant difference is, people saw the verydark wagon and chose not to join it, and instead created the BuJaber wagon. The BuJaber wagon was created because people did not want to continue pursuing the verydark wagon.
This is fair, point taken
In post 653, Something_Smart wrote: Easy to do as scum != scum are likely to do it.

this on the other hand I still disagree with pretty hard.

I'm not saying BuJaber is likely scum for saying "I have too many townreads", I'm saying if you're townreading him primarily for that it's entirely NAI and I challenge your townread, because it can just as likely come from scum as town. The entire paragraph re: "Scum like to keep their options open" is just how you personally play scum. On the other hand, I
do
try to play scum by trying to emulate my towngame and find reads that I'd plausibly have as town, and that requires me to generally townread people that I don't think I'd ever scumread as town. And in that process I'm going to be biased because now I'm operating from a point where I
know
they are town.

I have noticed that as scum I tend to put a bit too much stock in things looking townie that may have actually not looked as townie if I were in an uninformed town perspective. And you even say the reads need to be "believable" - what if he thinks it wouldn't be believable to scumread most of the players in this game?

I've had too many townreads as town before too, but again, just because someone makes a post/statement that resonates with how you've felt as town in past games does not at all clear them in this one. No scum would say "I have too many townreads" and not even pretend to have a problem with it, that's just bad play. And what has he
actually done
since then to try to solve it?
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

also Mathdino has been harping on the "I have too many townreads" stuff at a few points earlier in this game (at least as early as ) and it's also entirely possible for scum!BuJaber to be parroting that to some degree
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Wait is resonance the One True Way to unlynchability?

The Big Bang Theory is unfunny.

Other people don't use their turn signals enough.

Firefly should have had a second season.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

someone tell me who to look at
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 660, Mathdino wrote:if i had to start cutting into my townreads, pops would be the place to start
If I were you I'd look at KMD before I look into pops

Gamma what do you think of Smart's push onto brass? That's about the most notable new thing here I think
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 55, Kmd4390 wrote:Mathdino, without saying why, does post 51 give you any kind of read?

North, I think I get what pops is saying there but I don't agree that he's applying it correctly. I think it's just gamma looking for a place to vote early in the game.
This was a very pro town thing to say
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Post by popsofctown »

The people who won't bus bujaber?
Or me, because I'm beautiful
"Well, I..."
GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

In post 666, GuiltyLion wrote:Gamma what do you think of Smart's push onto brass? That's about the most notable new thing here I think
actually wait you did already comment on it

idk
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I believe I already commented on the push on brass
Don'e need anything current to comment on, I'm mainly asking if there's any slots I should (re)evaluate
pedit ok then
<Embrace The Void>

GuiltyLion
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
GuiltyLion
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:17 pm

Post by GuiltyLion »

even if BuJaber's not scum I feel like scum aren't voting him
Aster
Aster
Goon
Aster
Goon
Goon

Post Post #672 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:33 pm

Post by Aster »

Prodding verydark.

Kop has requested replacement.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #673 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Post by brassherald »

In post 660, Mathdino wrote:Kop - my first choice for a policy lurkerlynch since Mylo is clearly town
What from Mylo is making you say clearly town?

Also, "too many townreads" from BuJaber slot looks like a lazy way to not bother sorting.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #674 (ISO) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:36 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 244, Myloninja13 wrote:I have read through all of this, and feel thoroughly empty of opinions.
In post 502, Myloninja13 wrote:I'm finally back, apologies for being completely absent so far.
[snip]
Pretty much everyone else left no notable impression on me so far.
In post 551, Myloninja13 wrote:Hi, lurker coming from out of the shadows!

...And I'm still just as useless as I've been before. I'm sorry, but I just don't know what to say. I think after this game is over I'm going to have to stick to smaller games, because I'm struggling to tell people apart and analysis behaviors or anything.

But. I am going to actually make use of this game, and post at least some actual thoughts or analysis on this game later tonight, and then hopefully I'll have an idea going forward.
In post 644, Myloninja13 wrote:To LUV, I would consider replacing if I wouldn't get blacklisted from other games from that. I'll just make sure I don't go in any future big games.

To Kmd, The only people I'd give light scum reads to is BuJaber and dave, both for awkward dialogue.
do you really think scum doubles down on this "i don't know what the fuck i'm doing shtick" for the entirety of his ISO

Return to “Completed Open Games”